The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
oldzkool

No turn signals or dash indicators...

I have no rear turn signals. The turn signal arrows in the dash do not work either unless the hazards are on. I do have headlights, marker lights, brake lights and tail lights. Any suggestions?
oldzkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
skip99

Re: No turn signals or dash indicators...

sounds like there is an issue wih the column...get a wiring diagram and check the in and out of the column harness.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428878
skip99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
JRANGER

check the fuse? Had the same problem and all it was is the fuse
JRANGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
oldzkool

I didn't know there was a fuse for that circuit. I'll give it a look.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The purple wire to the column is the power wire for the turn signals. If the front signals work then it has power. If the brake and tail lights work then the fuse is good. All three circuits go through the same fuse. The dash signals are wired into the front turn signals. Skip is right your problem is in the column and most likely the turn signal switch.

Here are two of the half moon connectors with the wires.
The first one is from the fuse panel and the second is from the light switch. They are on the upper right and the upper left of the diagrams.

Name:  Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 14846
Size:  114.9 KB

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 32338
Size:  108.1 KB

This picture shows the switch and the wire colors in the guys left hand.

Name:  0507cct_pain_35_z.jpg
Views: 15249
Size:  64.5 KB

The white wire is for the brake lights from the brake switch.
The green wire is for the right brake light and turn signal
The yellow is for the left brake and turn signal
The purple is from the fuse panel and powers the turn signals
the dark blue is for the front turn signal and the dash signal light
The light blue is for the other front turn signal and the other dash turn light.
The black wire is for the horn relay and grounds it at the horn button. Some trucks use a green wire for this.

The dash signals may connect in at the connector or they may connect at the inside of the firewall plug.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
oldzkool

Figured out my problem...there was no power at the fuse block for the circuit feeding the the turn signal flasher. So I pulled the fuse block off and found a brown wire that I traced back to the ignition switch. It was loose at the ignition switch so I pushed it back in and now everything works as it should.
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Thanks for the feedback. The wire you indicated is marked by the black arrows in the two diagrams below.

At the ignition switch

Name:  Cab-2-web.jpg
Views: 22075
Size:  104.6 KB

At the fuse panel

Name:  Cab-1web.jpg
Views: 12952
Size:  101.1 KB

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
tsali39

VetteVet, I have read all your excellent advice. I replaced my circuit board ( having NO dash lights). I now have speedo lights, turn signals, idiot lights and dome light but no lights for the gas guage? I have wiggled, replaced bulbs etc to no avail. HELP!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I'm pretty sure the fuel gauge gets it's light off the other bulbs in the cluster. Some of them use a small card board tube to shield the light and direct it to where it needs to go. Do all the bulbs work that are in the cluster now. The turns and temp and charge light lights and the brake warning are all separate lights with separate circuits.
The dash lights are fed by a small gray wire to the cluster plug and the cluster must be grounded well for everything to work.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
tsali39

All bulbs are new. I have even swapped in old bulbs to no avail. The only ground I can find is this and it appears to be attached. I have taken it off and cleaned it up. Is it possible I have the cluster plug in upside down? Everything else works but the two gas guage bulbs.
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 AM   #11
guynamedloren

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzkool View Post
Figured out my problem...there was no power at the fuse block for the circuit feeding the the turn signal flasher. So I pulled the fuse block off and found a brown wire that I traced back to the ignition switch. It was loose at the ignition switch so I pushed it back in and now everything works as it should.
Wow, so glad I found this thread .. and this response! I have been messing with my turn signals for DAYS trying to get them to work. Checked grounds, replaced fuses, wires, flashers, bulbs, turn signal switch. Cleaned up everything. There were like 3 separate problems and that stuff fixed all my problems except the turn signals. After reading this, I found the brown wire, wiggled it, and now I finally have turn signals!
guynamedloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:07 AM   #12
Pappyx3!

VetteVet,

I really enjoy this forum because there seems to be alot of folks like you that are willing to help when you hear others need some advice. Thanks for your efforts.

Last edited by Pappyx3!; 04-16-2014 at 11:19 AM.
Pappyx3! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsali39 View Post
All bulbs are new. I have even swapped in old bulbs to no avail. The only ground I can find is this and it appears to be attached. I have taken it off and cleaned it up. Is it possible I have the cluster plug in upside down? Everything else works but the two gas guage bulbs.
Yes, that looks like the ground wire for the instrument cluster.

The cluster plug is keyed so it will only fit one way. If you look closely at the latching tabs on each end you'll notice that one is slightly wider than the other. But if it were forced in backwards none of the electrical gauges or cluster lights would work correctly.

I know you've already been through the whole bulb replacement / swapping procedure ... but seeing as how it's just the two bulbs that illuminate the gas gauge, I'd recommend taking another look at those two sockets.

I've come across several cases where the sockets don't always make good contact with the bulbs even though it feels like the bulb is fitting snugly into place. So just to make sure there aren't any issues (especially in cases where the bulbs are hard/impossible to reach with the cluster in place) I usually pre-test all of the bulbs/sockets using a couple of test leads and a battery:

Sometimes I find it necessary to bend the little wire contacts on the bulb bases (or use a small pick to carefully bend the contacts inside the socket) to establish a good connection. Also check to make sure the contact tabs on the sides of the sockets aren't dirty, bent, or otherwise distorted to the point where they won't make good contact with the printed circuit.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
Special-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldzkool View Post
I have no rear turn signals. The turn signal arrows in the dash do not work either unless the hazards are on. I do have headlights, marker lights, brake lights and tail lights. Any suggestions?
first off, what kind of vehicle, what year and is everything factory or what mods did you make...

details will get you the quickest right answer
Old 04-17-2014, 02:49 PM   #15
Pappyx3!

Another TS issue...

Been working on my turn signals for a while can't seem to get things to function as they should.

Truck 1962 C10

Steering Column is out of 80's Model Chevy, the OE TS parts are missing...

TS Switch is a Signal Stat 900. It was partially installed when I got the truck.

Wiring is a project in its self... Would like to buy a new harness but don't have the means right now.

What I'm seeing appears to be 2 seperate problems. I've attached a wiring diagram for the TS Switch that I found off the internet to illustrate the way things are supposed to work.

1- The TS switch will not send any signal out unless I jump the flasher from the (X) B+ coming from the fuse block to the (P) teminal. With this jumper in place the switch will function as it should.

2- EXCEPT when signaling R or L both rear signal lights flash. I believe this to be a seperate issue. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Pappyx3!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:50 PM   #16
Pappyx3!

Here's the diagram
Attached Images

Old 04-18-2014, 12:10 AM   #17
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

........http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...nal%20Switches

I think this is the same website you found and it gives some troubleshooting advice.

From what I gather, the fuse wire for flasher power goes to the X terminal The P terminal is for the pilot lights in the TS housing, and the L terminal is the load terminal to flash the turn signal lights.

I think your flasher may be bad internally. You should have power between X and P to turn on the pilot lights that show that there is power to the TS switch.
Jumping the two terminals is OK but it should not make any of the turn lights flash. Only the pilot light should come on for the left or right turn. Do you have one light or two?

The L terminal is the flasher filament of the turn signals. It should have a reading between the X and L terminal . This puts power into the turn signal switch to the left or right side lights. When the lights illuminate the current draw will cause the flasher filaments to separate and break the circuit until it cools and makes recontact, then the cycle begins again.

It's possible that the flasher is wired wrong inside or the TS switch is wired wrong.

I would wire the yellow wire directly to the fuse wire and turn on the key, then try left and right turn to see if the correct lights lite up.

Then do the same thing with the blue wire and you should just get the pilot to
light. If you get one side or the other turn lights You could still be OK but you should not get two rears or two fronts to light at the same time.

I would have liked to have seen you start a new thread on this one because this one is two years old and has too many different problems in it but hopefully we can get yours solved as well.

74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Old 04-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #18
Pappyx3!

OK, figured out the problem(s) this morning. The flasher is faulty and not sending current to the P terminal. The flashing of both rear lights was a wiring issue on my part.

I researched several posts on installing the "Universal" Turn Signal Switches that really didn't help me think I might try to illustrate the install and repost it for someone that may have troubles.

VetteVet thanks for helping me. Guess I couldn't see the forest for the trees... It really is Good Friday!!!

Last edited by Pappyx3!; 04-18-2014 at 09:27 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #19
jeff71

I have a similar problem. No signals. I pulled the turn signal unit and the purple wire was burned on either side of the harness plug.
Also, that part of the plug was melted. This has got my attention! Now, as mentioned in earlier posts, the purple wire comes from the fuse box. I do get voltage to the wire at the harness. I also get a continuity reading from every single contact on the fuse box that I check against the end of the purple wire. Can someone confirm whether this should be the case? I was expecting only continuity between the fuse contact for the signal fuse to the purple wire, but from none of the other fuse contacts. Does this mean I have more melted wires near the fuse box that I need to root out? Thanks in advance for any advice.
jeff71 is offline   Reply With Quote