The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Went to a Bigger Blazer (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=169048)

FormerMember 01-16-2009 08:39 AM

Re: Went to a Bigger Blazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3089585)
...lots of really cool bump stops out there but have you seen the price of em?! :ack:

The front axle moves around a lot due to the flexy spring pack, it's great to have flex but in this case it's to much.
Even some sort of track bar to keep the axle in place might be a valid cure.
No sense in installing high zoot bump stops if you can't get the axle to land on them, right? ;)

How are the spring bushings? Shouldn't be moving that much, Kurt.

jaros44sr 01-16-2009 08:49 AM

Time for a 4 link?

vtblazer 01-16-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3089625)
How are the spring bushings? Shouldn't be moving that much, Kurt.

Bushing's 'look' fine from an exterior inspection, probly should pull em apart and take a real good look.

The axle does move a fair amount, those springs a pretty soft.

While it's in where it's warm, I plan on doing a total front end check over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3089639)
Time for a 4 link?

It's in the plans for the rear, only wish I could afford it for the front too but there's no real chance of that anytime soon.

FormerMember 01-16-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3089646)
Bushing's 'look' fine from an exterior inspection, probly should pull em apart and take a real good look.

The axle does move a fair amount, those springs a pretty soft.

While it's in where it's warm, I plan on doing a total front end check over.

It's in the plans for the rear, only wish I could afford it for the front too but there's no real chance of that anytime soon.

As you know, the springs should only provide up down movement... I know that they're soft, but they shouldn't be going side to side...

vtblazer 01-16-2009 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3089656)
As you know, the springs should only provide up down movement... I know that they're soft, but they shouldn't be going side to side...

They all move, everybodies axles moves side to side to some degree.

Not saying a lot but with soft springs, big tires and extended shackles, there's a ton of sideways force there that the normal 'checks' won't handle.

FormerMember 01-16-2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3089682)
They all move, everybodies axles moves side to side to some degree.

Not saying a lot but with soft springs, big tires and extended shackles, there's a ton of sideways force there that the normal 'checks' won't handle.

Yep, I meant above and beyond the norm :)

vtblazer 01-16-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3089708)
Yep, I meant above and beyond the norm :)

:agree: I was embellishing some no doubt about hitting a bump-stop, still need to look into things either way.

The whole thing has a 'lean' to it as well, I need to look into that too. :rolleyes:
Could just be tire or rear shock pressure...dunno yet.

It's been beat on pretty good without a lot of maintenance as of late, it's time to take care of the big pig. :lol:

FormerMember 01-16-2009 10:46 AM

I used Timbren load levellers as the bump stops in the back of the Dog.

vtblazer 01-16-2009 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3089807)
I used Timbren load levellers as the bump stops in the back of the Dog.

Link? Pics?

FormerMember 01-16-2009 04:55 PM

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=timbren

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attac...1&d=1201123237

jaros44sr 01-17-2009 06:30 AM

Since we're talking about the blue one, where did you mount your remote PS reservoir? Did you stay within the 18"?

vtblazer 01-17-2009 08:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3091556)
Since we're talking about the blue one, where did you mount your remote PS reservoir? Did you stay within the 18"?

Yes, stayed within the recommended 18"s.

Welded a piece of angle iron to the firewall, drilled & taped that and mounted the reservoir.

jaros44sr 01-17-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3091616)
Yes, stayed within the recommended 18"s.

Welded a piece of angle iron to the firewall, drilled & taped that and mounted the reservoir.

Well that changes everything, it didn't look like I could reach the core support...Thanks for the pics, back to redesign dept.

vtblazer 01-17-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3091644)
Well that changes everything, it didn't look like I could reach the core support...Thanks for the pics, back to redesign dept.

I also had another hose made up, the lines that come with the kit are a little cheesy IMO.

Had em install a 45 on one end, made hose routing easier.

jaros44sr 01-17-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3091654)
I also had another hose made up, the lines that come with the kit are a little cheesy IMO.

Had em install a 45 on one end, made hose routing easier.

Just sittin' here readin' thru my Aeroquip/Eaton catalogs. The low pressure side I'm using push on barb w/FC300 hose...

My local hose/fitting guy is charging me about 1/10 the price of these vendors( not board vendors)

vtblazer 01-17-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaros44sr (Post 3091672)
Just sittin' here readin' thru my Aeroquip/Eaton catalogs. The low pressure side I'm using push on barb w/FC300 hose...

My local hose/fitting guy is charging me about 1/10 the price of these vendors( not board vendors)

Yea, my HP hose was like 16 bucks, barbs are perfect for the LP hose.

jaros44sr 01-17-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3091677)
Yea, my HP hose was like 16 bucks, barbs are perfect for the LP hose.

Got my HP hose from Classic Ind like 5 years ago, still not convinced its the rite hose, lots of bending and tweaking

vtblazer 06-13-2009 11:18 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This ride has run it's course for me, so it's time to look forward and sell the bad ass rock crawler.

I've had & enjoyed the full spectrum, from a sweet restored 'pretty' K5 to an all out wheeling machine, now I want the best of both worlds and to accomplish that goal, owning & operating two isn't in the cards.

I'm in the process of toning the beast down to a street-able level, hoping to attract more buyers with a stout weekend warrior that's street legal as opposed to a truck that needs to be trailed around to run it.

Couple pics of the recent changes.

Finished up the new shock hoops already.

A sale thread has already been posted as well.

Chevyman63 06-13-2009 12:03 PM

Man that truck has taken on several new looks since you have owned it. I like it the new way as well as the old ways.

I understand the keeping two running dilemma...hell I'm having a hard time getting one drivable. :lol:

Good luck with the sale!

Burt4x4 06-13-2009 01:26 PM

Whoever picks that rig up is way ahead of the off-road game thats for sure!
Lookin Good VT and good thinking on streetability :metal:
So the 69 is #1 now egh?
:chevy:

vtblazer 06-13-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt4x4 (Post 3357936)
So the 69 is #1 now egh?:chevy:

Today anyway...:lol:

I'm offering any/all potential buyers their choice of grill styles, I have good grills & bumpers from both years, so which ever they prefer, they can have.

swyfor5 06-13-2009 03:33 PM

Looks good VT! Sounds like a good plan, good luck!

vtblazer 07-15-2009 08:11 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More changes, more progress.

Have a sale pending, the new potential owner wanted the 42's, good quarters and the 71/72 style front clip & bumper installed as part of the deal.

42's are back on, front clip is done and the pass. quarter is all but ready to be finished up.

Hopefully will tackle the drivers side tomorrow but then on Friday it's surgery time, so any lifting comes to an abrupt halt.

Working towards getting it delivered by or near the end of the month.

Thought I'd pop down to msgross's place and see what these simulators are all about he keeps talking about.

swyfor5 07-15-2009 09:02 PM

VT,you Are the man! Thank's for all the info and pic's on everything! Keep it up!

Chevyman63 07-15-2009 09:21 PM

Man that looks good...are you sure you want to sell it...j/k. :lol:

It does look good though.

And good luck with the surgery.