The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

straight6chevyguy 02-13-2019 04:10 PM

Re: Frankentruck

I would keep the antenna but I'm a radio guy and I love antennas. LOL

cwcarpenter98 02-13-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8465373)
I would keep the antenna but I'm a radio guy and I love antennas. LOL

I am keeping the radio in it, but it doesn't pick up FM even before the antenna broke. I don't want to spend the money to get a new radio, so a new antenna would be fairly useless. I also don't want the antenna base that is on it or the hole just sitting there. If I can find a different panel, I will rock that until I replace the radio and antenna at the same time. You can never have too many parts :lol:

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2019 12:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Aluminum foil polishing trick for the win again :metal:
Horn button looks a lot better now, but I accidentally took off some paint from the bowtie. Guess I'll have to repaint that at some point

roll_the_dice 02-14-2019 12:39 AM

OK you have inspired me...I am going to have to find something to do this to tomorrow! That looks great!

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8465804)
OK you have inspired me...I am going to have to find something to do this to tomorrow! That looks great!

It's a great trick! It is also pretty satisfying to go from gross brown to nice ish chrome :lol:

straight6chevyguy 02-14-2019 03:40 PM

Yep! works every time!
It all so works great on old lawnmower handlebars!

Johns 66 02-14-2019 05:49 PM

Now yall got me gonna try this..lol

cwcarpenter98 02-14-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8466196)
Now yall got me gonna try this..lol

:lol: It's a great trick that is cheap too!

straight6chevyguy 02-18-2019 02:12 PM

Did you use coca-cola with the foil?
They say it helps but I don't really know if it does.

cwcarpenter98 02-18-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8468894)
Did you use coca-cola with the foil?
They say it helps but I don't really know if it does.

I just used tap water. Might be something to try in the future though, thanks

kdad 02-18-2019 11:41 PM

I'm over here cracking up as I can just see us all out in the garage trying the foil polish trick.... Great Job CW

cwcarpenter98 02-19-2019 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdad (Post 8469368)
I'm over here cracking up as I can just see us all out in the garage trying the foil polish trick.... Great Job CW

:lol: I actually did it in the sink at my house. I have another part that I might get to tomorrow

rusty76 02-20-2019 06:29 PM

Funny how something simple can make us curious. Now I’m curious about this trick.

cwcarpenter98 02-20-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8470787)
Funny how something simple can make us curious. Now I’m curious about this trick.

Grab an old piece off the shelf and try it! I'm about to do another part, so stay tuned

cwcarpenter98 02-21-2019 12:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
This is what happens when your truck is a reliable daily driver. You pull wall art off the wall to make it nicer :lol:

Back when I was working at a restoration shop, I grabbed this headlight bezel from the junk pile that my old boss was throwing out. It has been hanging on the wall at my old dorm room and now my bedroom in the house I'm renting since I started college. Shined up decent enough, but it is hard to do it in the kitchen sink!

Also, here's some wall art shots

rusty76 02-22-2019 06:26 PM

Crazy how god that looks.

Johns 66 02-22-2019 06:27 PM

just don't start wearing tinfoil hats..Lol

cwcarpenter98 02-23-2019 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8472166)
Crazy how god that looks.

Yeah, I was impressed with how something so cheap and easy made such a big difference

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8472167)
just don't start wearing tinfoil hats..Lol

Lol, now that would be a sight to see walking around campus

cwcarpenter98 03-15-2019 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Left Frankentruck at home the past 3 weeks, but spring break started today, so I came home and got some work done.

Pulled the seat out to install the tool storage brackets and springs that I got from John (Johns_66). Thanks again John!
The long rod is for my Nissan spare tire carrier. The original tools were long gone before I got the truck, but I wanted the springs and brackets to store the stuff I do have.

I also looked over the seat and discovered that I have 0 broken springs :metal: I just need new foam and burlap to make it more comfortable again

Edit: Does anyone know a source for the standard seat foam?

roll_the_dice 03-16-2019 11:36 AM

Looking good Christian..this says standard seat foam, but shows the custom cab foam in the picture... Since you are close by you might take a look.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-sf202/overview/

Johns 66 03-17-2019 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8488025)
Left Frankentruck at home the past 3 weeks, but spring break started today, so I came home and got some work done.

Pulled the seat out to install the tool storage brackets and springs that I got from John (Johns_66). Thanks again John!
The long rod is for my Nissan spare tire carrier. The original tools were long gone before I got the truck, but I wanted the springs and brackets to store the stuff I do have.

I also looked over the seat and discovered that I have 0 broken springs :metal: I just need new foam and burlap to make it more comfortable again

Edit: Does anyone know a source for the standard seat foam?

Glad it worked out well Christian...looks so good!!!!

cwcarpenter98 03-17-2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8488212)
Looking good Christian..this says standard seat foam, but shows the custom cab foam in the picture... Since you are close by you might take a look.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-sf202/overview/

Thanks, Andy. It says for a squarebody, but I'll take a look at it in person and see if it might fit

cwcarpenter98 03-17-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8488997)
Glad it worked out well Christian...looks so good!!!!

Thanks again John! It also gave me a good excuse to sweep out under the seat :lol: That old burlap and disintegrating foam sure did make a mess since the last time I pulled it out a couple years ago

cwcarpenter98 03-17-2019 11:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yesterday, I fired up Frankentruck for the first time in about 3 weeks. Still runs great with no issues. I should have posted this yesterday, but I ended up getting home late because I was hanging out with John Padgett (flashed) talking about trucks and life for several hours after the cruise-in ended. It was a great day
I took some videos of the truck, so I'll see about editing them a little and post them up to the youtubes. Then I'll post the link to them here

cwcarpenter98 03-17-2019 11:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today was also a day full of trucks and great times. My dad and I drove over to Robbie's home (GAc10boy) to film a segment for his YouTube channel Whitlock Garage. That was a great time and a lot of fun. Check out his channel if you haven't yet :metal:
Also got a fresh United By Trucks sticker to add to my collection on the back window. Thanks again Robbie!

After filming, my dad and I drove over to Cabela's to look at some snake boots for me because I want to do some turkey hunting at our deer camp in middle GA. As we were leaving, I spotted an old Cadillac with some neat patina. Turns out that it was the same body I had seen on Craigslist a while back, but the owner said it was so rusty that it was beyond repair. He took an old Crown Vic police interceptor and welded the Cadillac body panels on to it. It was cool to see that car still kinda on the road, because I saw the pics on craigslist, and it was extremely rusty