The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   LSx Swaps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=206)
-   -   LS factory cruise control hook up (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=511477)

XwalkerX 03-24-2016 11:56 PM

Re: LS factory cruise control hook up

yes it drops to 0v when pedal is pressed

and if i unplug the connector from the cruise module that faint hint of brake light disappears

ls1nova71 03-25-2016 12:12 AM

I have to leave for work now, but will check in the morning to see if mine glow any at all, but don't think they do. I'm leaning towards something being messed up in the module since the wiring seems to be correct and unplugging it makes it go away. I'll let you know what I find in the morning.

XwalkerX 03-25-2016 12:14 AM

thanks man!

XwalkerX 03-25-2016 03:11 PM

so a friend of mine gave me the idea of running a diode off the g wire to the junction at the brake light wire.

http://frys.com/product/1799257?site...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

this would essentially make that 9/10v stay only on the G wire and not impact the brake light wire. this way the faint brake light illumination would stop but when I press the brake pedal and it sends 12v to the brake lights it would also send 12v to the G wire back to the cruise module.

so that I think would solve the brake light issue but still doesn't help figure out why the cruise control wont work

ls1nova71 03-25-2016 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XwalkerX (Post 7535225)
so a friend of mine gave me the idea of running a diode off the g wire to the junction at the brake light wire.

http://frys.com/product/1799257?site...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

this would essentially make that 9/10v stay only on the G wire and not impact the brake light wire. this way the faint brake light illumination would stop but when I press the brake pedal and it sends 12v to the brake lights it would also send 12v to the G wire back to the cruise module.

so that I think would solve the brake light issue but still doesn't help figure out why the cruise control wont work

I checked my cars today and the brake lights do not glow at all, but yet I still get that 9v on that wire. Its really strange. After all the tests you have done and seeing that it appears to be wired right, I think I wuld try another module. If you dont have a junk yard near you I can probably find one but not sure what it would cost to ship it.

XwalkerX 03-26-2016 02:08 AM

ill try and source out another module this weekend/next week and in the meantime ill have to draw an electrical diagram of how i have everything currently hooked up just to be 100% positive its correct

solidaxel 03-26-2016 08:50 AM

Did you tell us your tail lights were LED ?

ls1nova71 03-26-2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XwalkerX (Post 7535795)
ill try and source out another module this weekend/next week and in the meantime ill have to draw an electrical diagram of how i have everything currently hooked up just to be 100% positive its correct

Yeah, post up a diagram of the wiring so we can make sure it's absolutely right, and if it is I would try another module. If you can't find one just let me know and I know I can get one. I could also slap it on my truck and test it just to be sure.
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 7535871)
Did you tell us your tail lights were LED ?

He said no LEDs.

Andy4639 03-27-2016 02:35 PM

I have 2 questions on this.

1. I have all LED's but with the relay mod it should be fine correct?
I also have the grounded flashers in place will this possibly make it work?

2. I don't have speedometer cable, mine is a GPS speedometer. Their is no cable attached to the trans at all. Will I need the cable to be hooked up?

I want and try to have cruise for the 2016 HRPT since I didn't have it for the 2014 run.
:chevy:

Andy4639 03-27-2016 06:43 PM

Found a 4 wire replacement handle.
$44.99. I think a junkyard will be a lot cheaper!
;)

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro.../dd100102.html

doublebeetx 03-27-2016 10:03 PM

ls1nova71, will the stalk listed by Andy work for my dbw cruise ? Thanks !

ls1nova71 03-28-2016 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7537200)
I have 2 questions on this.

1. I have all LED's but with the relay mod it should be fine correct?
I also have the grounded flashers in place will this possibly make it work?

2. I don't have speedometer cable, mine is a GPS speedometer. Their is no cable attached to the trans at all. Will I need the cable to be hooked up?

I want and try to have cruise for the 2016 HRPT since I didn't have it for the 2014 run.
:chevy:

1 I'm not familiar with the relay mod? How is it wired?
2 You won't need a speedo cable, just a VSS wire coming out of the PCM.
3 That switch will work, but it will require several relays to reverse the switches inside of it.

ls1nova71 03-28-2016 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublebeetx (Post 7537692)
ls1nova71, will the stalk listed by Andy work for my dbw cruise ? Thanks !

It will, but there are several relays required to change the normally closed switches inside of it to normally open like a GM switch.

Andy4639 03-28-2016 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 7537879)
1 I'm not familiar with the relay mod? How is it wired?
2 You won't need a speedo cable, just a VSS wire coming out of the PCM.
3 That switch will work, but it will require several relays to reverse the switches inside of it.

I was talking about the relay posted earlier in this thread. On the ground wire.:chevy:

XwalkerX 03-28-2016 11:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So here is my crude wiring diagram

Hopefully we can figure this out. It would make my weekly 250 mile round trip drive a lot nicer.
Posted via Mobile Device

XwalkerX 03-28-2016 11:17 AM

with the key on and taking readings at the module with the connector plugged into it im getting these readings

a- 0v (toggle switch is in the off position)
b- 0v
c- 0v
d- 12v
e- 0v
f- 12v
g- 10v
h- n/a
j- 0v
k- 9v

also I forgot to include that I have an inline fuse wired in to the power wire right before the bottom split on my diagram

I also picked up a 12v zenner diode this weekend that I have yet to wire into the G wire to get rid of that voltage going to the brake lights until the pedal is pressed.

XwalkerX 03-28-2016 08:59 PM

so just wired in the zener diode to the G wire so my brake lights are not affected by the 10v being sent from the cruise unit.

just re-tested to confirm everything is in complete working order

key on, engine running, connector unplugged to test leads:

A- off position - 0v
A- on position - 12v
B- (with A still "on") 0v resting; 12v momentary toggle down pressed
C- (with A still "on") 0v resting; 12v momentary toggle up pressed
D- 12v resting; 0v brake pedal pressed
E- 0v (ground)
F- 12v regardless of toggle A position
G- 12v brake pedal pressed
H- n/a
J- n/a
K- 11.6v

ls1nova71 03-29-2016 12:02 AM

Everything on your diagram looks to be right. Have you tested it with the diode installed? The only thing that looks odd on your diagram, and I don't think it would affect anything, is your brake lights appear to be wired on a key on hot wire rather than a constant hot. I assume you are using an aftermarket harness and wired it this way?

ls1nova71 03-29-2016 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7537971)
I was talking about the relay posted earlier in this thread. On the ground wire.:chevy:

If you are talking about the relay diagram in post #7, then it should work, although I have never personally tried it.

XwalkerX 03-29-2016 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 7539149)
Everything on your diagram looks to be right. Have you tested it with the diode installed? The only thing that looks odd on your diagram, and I don't think it would affect anything, is your brake lights appear to be wired on a key on hot wire rather than a constant hot. I assume you are using an aftermarket harness and wired it this way?

thats actually just me trying to simplify the schematic.

they are in fact wired to the proper fused brake light position and i get brake lights with key off too.

sorry about the confusion.

so if everything is wired correctly then i can only assume its the box itself?

i call the local LKQ and they didnt have any 99-02 silverados available so ill keep calling around tomorrow.

does the yard local to you have one readily available?

ls1nova71 03-29-2016 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XwalkerX (Post 7539157)

does the yard local to you have one readily available?

There are 6 pick a part type yards with in a half hour of me, and they almost always have some 99-02 trucks in them and the cruise modules are almost never taken off, so I'm pretty confident I could find one.

Andy4639 03-29-2016 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls1nova71 (Post 7539154)
If you are talking about the relay diagram in post #7, then it should work, although I have never personally tried it.

Yes that's the post.:chevy:

XwalkerX 03-31-2016 04:53 PM

I NOW HAVE WORKING CRUISE CONTROL IN MY 44 YEAR OLD TRUCK!

:lol::metal:

thank you for all the help along the way LS1NOVA!!!!!!

izzy_Britton 03-31-2016 04:57 PM

I can barely read that! Can you make it bigger please ? Haha

I am glad you figured out out because I will be doing similar in a couple weeks and now I have an awesome example to work from if i have any odd issues.

-IZZY

ls1nova71 03-31-2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XwalkerX (Post 7543045)
I NOW HAVE WORKING CRUISE CONTROL IN MY 44 YEAR OLD TRUCK!

:lol::metal:

thank you for all the help along the way LS1NOVA!!!!!!

Cool, glad you got it going! :metal: (I had to mod your original quote so it wouldn't scream at everybody again.... :lol:)