The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=715398)

TKCR 02-03-2019 07:30 AM

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up 3 more benchseats, that will be given a second chance. Time to start stripping them down and making them beautiful again.

Hammered 77 02-03-2019 07:46 AM

When your out searching for seats do you ever see any headliner panels?

Rick

TKCR 02-03-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammered 77 (Post 8457607)
When your out searching for seats do you ever see any headliner panels?

Rick

Yes I do. I usually get all the headliner trim, if it’s there and not broken.

Hammered 77 02-03-2019 08:18 AM

I have the trim, it's the panels that I'm looking for. Even damaged panels.

TKCR 02-03-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammered 77 (Post 8457620)
I have the trim, it's the panels that I'm looking for. Even damaged panels.

I can start grabbing them. I just never have, because it doesn’t seem like anyone wants or needs them. Your just next door in Indiana, so when I get some, we can meet. Sound good?

Hammered 77 02-03-2019 08:36 AM

Sounds good. I need at least a couple to start with. Not able to get out and look at this time, going to have back surgery very soon. hoping that will fix my back issues.

TKCR 02-03-2019 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammered 77 (Post 8457629)
Sounds good. I need at least a couple to start with. Not able to get out and look at this time, going to have back surgery very soon. hoping that will fix my back issues.

Hope you find some relief with the surgery. I had back surgery about 10 yrs ago, it was called I.D.E.T. Best thing I ever did!!!
Here’s a video that explains what they do:
https://www.spine-health.com/video/i...eractive-video

Rich84 02-04-2019 09:22 AM

That blue vinyl seat looks way better then the one in my longbed already..
I wish it wasn't $200+ to ship these suckers.

Do you ever cover Suburban high back buckets? Mine came out of an '85 and they have just one armrest. When looking at new covers they never mention the armrests.

TKCR 02-04-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8458380)
That blue vinyl seat looks way better then the one in my longbed already..
I wish it wasn't $200+ to ship these suckers.

Do you ever cover Suburban high back buckets? Mine came out of an '85 and they have just one armrest. When looking at new covers they never mention the armrests.

There is always meeting part way. The only buckets I have done, 1970 GTO . I got them posted a few pages back. Buckets are a handful!!

Rich84 02-04-2019 02:46 PM

I saw those buckets they look beautiful..I think Ohio is about 8 hours away from Connecticut.

TKCR 02-04-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 8458572)
I saw those buckets they look beautiful..I think Ohio is about 8 hours away from Connecticut.

Well if your up to splitting the drive, I can do that. I will be retired March 1st, so traveling would not be an issue. I know and I hate that the shipping is expensive, but it is what it is. FedEx sets the price, based on distance size and weight. To be quite honest, I hate shipping them. Not that anything has happened yet, I’m always afraid they will get damaged during shipping. It only takes that one time of someone doing something careless. I fully insure them, just in case.

TKCR 02-06-2019 06:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
One of my favorite seats is on its way to California. It is a 77-80 Camel Tan Tilting Benchseat, orginal Foam was used, which was in excellent condition.

Advanced Design 02-06-2019 06:54 PM

That seat looks very nice! I enjoy looking at your finished product...works of art. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! I took that plunge January 12 myself.

TKCR 02-06-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 8460288)
That seat looks very nice! I enjoy looking at your finished product...works of art. Congratulations on your upcoming retirement! I took that plunge January 12 myself.

Thank You!! And Congratulations on your retirement! I consider myself lucky to have worked for a company that allows us to retire at the age of 55. I will have 30 yrs in. I’m looking forward to being able to spend more on the seats. And just enjoying life without being on a time schedule.

TKCR 02-17-2019 07:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Went on a little road trip yesterday, to pickup a couple of seats to be restored in the future. Both are in overall good condition. They will still get stripped down, to replace broken springs & sandblast/repaint the frames & tracks. And then get the tracks sliding like new again. See pics 2-5, this is a perfect example of a poor rebuild on someones part. I bought this seat, it had already been recovered in black "leather". Very nice cover!! But they covered right over a rusty frame. And it also had broken springs on the drivers side, see pic #2. They shoved some kind of foam in there, instead of replacing the broken springs. And the tracks would not slide.
1- 77-80 tilt
1- 81-87 tilt

TKCR 02-17-2019 07:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is the same Black Leather seat, mentioned in the above post. 1st pic is before, the rest are after.

1968vetL-71 02-17-2019 11:24 AM

I'm curious on what you use to repair damaged, missing foam on the backrest portion. I bought both new bottom cushions, but my backrest needs a few spots addressed before I put the covers on. Thanks!

TKCR 02-17-2019 12:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1968vetL-71 (Post 8467968)
I'm curious on what you use to repair damaged, missing foam on the backrest portion. I bought both new bottom cushions, but my backrest needs a few spots addressed before I put the covers on. Thanks!

You can get some dance foam from JoAnn Fabrics. Cut the bad section out. Cut a likewise size, of the new foam. Get a good foam glue and glue the new piece in. Something similar to the attached pic.

TKCR 02-17-2019 01:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So the seats I got yesterday, the one in the back, by the garage door. It had been recovered at one point. Now this is how you DO NOT repair seat foam. Some of the seats I get, it amazes me of what people do. This is why I started doing Seat Restorations. You don’t spend all that money to get your seat recovered for this!!! Along with the moldy towel stuffed in the huge hole in the foam, everything is rusty and broken springs. So it will get sandblasted, repainted and get the broken springs replaced. I believe a NEW Foam is in order for this seat.

hatzie 02-17-2019 02:09 PM

Good plan.
Don't mess with black mold. No way to sterilize foam and be assured all of it is gone. Get rid of it all and start over.
Even if you aren't sensitive to it... once you know about it you don't want the liability.

That's the main reason to just replace the butt foam.

TKCR 02-17-2019 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8468097)
Good plan.
Don't mess with black mold. No way to sterilize foam and be assured all of it is gone. Get rid of it all and start over.
Even if you aren't sensitive to it... once you know about it you don't want the liability.

That's the main reason to just replace the butt foam.

I agree, that foam is going in the trash!! There are some people that will bulk at the price of a seat, with new foam. Then there are some that insist on NEW foam and don't bat an eyelash at paying the extra money. I would put new foam on every one of my seats, but some just don't want to pay the extra $$$, and that is their right & choice.
I just can't believe someone would do this!!!

ShortHaul 02-17-2019 09:21 PM

nice work! your seats look fantastic!

TKCR 02-18-2019 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortHaul (Post 8468442)
nice work! your seats look fantastic!

Thank you:metal:

Big Blue 02-19-2019 08:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hay TKCR, Here is the picture that I talked about in our PM.

TKCR 02-19-2019 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue (Post 8469953)
Hay TKCR, Here is the picture that I talked about in our PM.

Looks good, not in too bad of shape. The one tear will probably continue to get bigger. It is a Saddle Tan. If you decide to get your seat done sometime, I’ll be happy to help ya. Here is a Saddle Tan Velour/Vinyl recently