The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Ice cream getter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=386852)

K20chevy 02-18-2015 03:14 AM

Re: Ice cream getter

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 7053580)
K20
I replaced the old bar with a four point over the rear passenger area. Our local sand dunes require either a bar to be behind the rear passenger’s heads or they must wear helmets. The bar is not really visible with the top on but I mounted permanent fastening plates to the tub allowing for easy removal when not wanted. The picture was taken before I had the bar powder coated.

It looks great! thanks for the pics and info! When do you think you´ll have it on the road? Really curious to hear how you like the Deavers!

That rule is so funny. I can see the roll bar or cage making sense, but how is a helmet going to protect you the same as a roll bar? I´m sure the helmet could not withstand 5000 lbs on top of it! ;) Glad you went with the roll bar. Did you powder coat it black or the same green as the truck? I like how it is hidden below the hard top!

1972 Jimmy 02-18-2015 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 7053580)
K20
I replaced the old bar with a four point over the rear passenger area. Our local sand dunes require either a bar to be behind the rear passenger’s heads or they must wear helmets. The bar is not really visible with the top on but I mounted permanent fastening plates to the tub allowing for easy removal when not wanted. The picture was taken before I had the bar powder coated.

Truck looks great!!! Silver Lake is a must with the top off! I put a full cage in mine for the same reason. Have fun in the sand this summer!
Eric

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K20chevy (Post 7054167)
It looks great! thanks for the pics and info! When do you think you´ll have it on the road? Really curious to hear how you like the Deavers!

That rule is so funny. I can see the roll bar or cage making sense, but how is a helmet going to protect you the same as a roll bar? I´m sure the helmet could not withstand 5000 lbs on top of it! ;) Glad you went with the roll bar. Did you powder coat it black or the same green as the truck? I like how it is hidden below the hard top!

I was able to put a couple hundred miles on it last fall but they were all on-road miles. So… I can’t say how the Deaver springs handle in the sand. I think they are great on the road. Not bad at all for a short wheelbase, lifted truck anyway. I may add a sway bar yet at some point in time? I agree, the roll bar/helmet rule is silly. I don’t exactly run the dunes hard anyway. In fact I usually take it nice and easy so the chance of me ever really needing to use the bar should be zero but things do happen. I had the bar powder coated black. I can’t believe I don’t have a finished picture!

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972 Jimmy (Post 7054223)
Truck looks great!!! Silver Lake is a must with the top off! I put a full cage in mine for the same reason. Have fun in the sand this summer!
Eric

That's the plan.
I'll keep any eye out for you. I'd love to get a bunch of forum members together this summer at SL!

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 10:30 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 6650927)
It’s been a few months.... Everything has been plumbed with the exception of venting and all of the wiring has been completed. I’ll snap some pictures next time I’m under it.

Where I left off… I vented the gas tank using a vent from II Much Fuel. I wanted the vent as high as possible but did not want stink in the cab when the top is on. And a couple of random pictures from the bottom side.

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Once the vent was mounted I was able to move on to the rear interior panels. I blasted and mounted the stands. I also added 3M clear film to the top of the box sides in an attempt to save the paint from the top when it is on. Time will tell how well that works out. ;)

K20chevy 02-18-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 7054372)
Once the vent was mounted I was able to move on to the rear interior panels. I blasted and mounted the stands. I also added 3M clear film to the top of the box sides in an attempt to save the paint from the top when it is on. Time will tell how well that works out. ;)

Looks really awesome! And thanks for the info on the springs! Keep up the good work! :chevy:

JJH Jimmy 02-18-2015 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 7054325)
That's the plan.
I'll keep any eye out for you. I'd love to get a bunch of forum members together this summer at SL!

Your Blazer looks amazing! I love it! Count me in on the Silver Lake get together! I'll be there.

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJH Jimmy (Post 7054563)
Your Blazer looks amazing! I love it! Count me in on the Silver Lake get together! I'll be there.

Thanks for the compliments. It’s a nice driver;) Yours is really looking great though. I look forward to seeing you up there.

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had some decent carpet strips and a pair of really nice interior quarter moldings stashed away so I sent them off for chroming. The carpet strips were a little bent up and the chrome was shot but the quarter moldings were near perfect with the exception of a bit of pitting/rusting in the very center of each of them. I told them I wanted the carpet strips to look nice as they will likely get scratched again but I stressed I wanted the quarter trim to be perfect. The carpet strips came back nice and the quarter molding came back with the center rust removed but the pits remained and they warped the snot out of them. They are not only warped so they won’t lay flat but they also have a large crown to them. To add insult to injury, they tried to charge me $150 for each of the two pieces they ruined. Needless to say I didn’t pay and the guy on the other end of the phone call and I are no longer friends!

Low Elco 02-18-2015 01:54 PM

Sorry about the bad luck on the trim. Rest of the truck looks fantastic. Glad you're still around!

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 02:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Next up was the interior quarter panels themselves. I wanted to have the same guy that did my seats do these as well but he didn't believe he could get the scroll pattern to match the door panels. Overall I was not impressed by the quality as I didn’t care for all of the wrinkles or loose fit look of the vinyl or Naugahyde or whatever the material is. The next issue I had with the panels was with fitment. I was not sure how they are intended to fit behind the doors but if I tucked them in behind the B pillar the panel was too long at the rear of the truck. Placing it on top of the B pillar was clearly not an option.

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 02:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
What I wanted was an easy way to have the panels removable from inside the truck with the top on. Remember I have a double wall top. I also have a bar that runs parallel with the top of the box side as part of the roll bar, limiting the panel’s ability to be tipped as being removed. I also didn’t want to see any hardware. Velcro to the rescue! To resolve the fitment issue I had to cut off several inches of material which I probably would have had to do anyway because of the limited amount of movement available when pulling the panel up and out. I also would not have been able to use the quarter trim without reworking the top edge of the interior panel and the trim would have had to been attached to panel rather than the box side. I guess it all worked out in the end.

SONOSADSACK 02-18-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7054652)
Sorry about the bad luck on the trim. Rest of the truck looks fantastic. Glad you're still around!

Just took a little break! Besides, I like it here too much to go for good. ;)

1972 Jimmy 02-18-2015 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SONOSADSACK (Post 7054325)
That's the plan.

I'm all about getting together at Silver Lake. Need to get my Jimmy painted and back together first!!!

Matt's k5 02-21-2015 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Way jealous! Any way I can send you mine and have you work your magic? , Matt

Madtrucker 02-28-2015 11:54 AM

Nice to see another Michigan project. Any of you guys ever make it to the Woodward cruise? What's up on the deaver springs, that application isn't posted on their site. I remember considering them for my k10 also, did you just have to have them made? I'll be more interested in road handling than off-road.

Btw my only problem with your truck is its exactly the way I want mine, and I'm far from it. One of my favorites!

SONOSADSACK 03-08-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt's k5 (Post 7059072)
Way jealous! Any way I can send you mine and have you work your magic? , Matt

Jealous?
How many Blazers do you have? Keep up the great work on the wife's. Its coming along nicely.

SONOSADSACK 03-08-2015 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madtrucker (Post 7069573)
Nice to see another Michigan project. Any of you guys ever make it to the Woodward cruise? What's up on the deaver springs, that application isn't posted on their site. I remember considering them for my k10 also, did you just have to have them made? I'll be more interested in road handling than off-road.

Btw my only problem with your truck is its exactly the way I want mine, and I'm far from it. One of my favorites!

Thanks for the compliment. I've never been to Woodward but it looks like a good time and it is on my bucket list. I ordered my springs over the phone. Never actually looked on their website for them. On the road they do ride very nice.

tim's68gmc 04-24-2015 01:50 PM

very nice job on your blazer.

check out my ground up. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659403

SONOSADSACK 04-25-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim's68gmc (Post 7146760)
very nice job on your blazer.

check out my ground up. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=659403

Thanks - it's a lot of fun too!

Your Jimmy looks nice and I dig the father son project

orange72blazer 05-27-2015 08:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a chance to see this Blazer in person this past weekend, even got a few pics of it in action. You did an amazing job on it, it looks & sounds great.

orange72blazer 05-27-2015 08:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more pics.

1972 Jimmy 05-27-2015 09:04 AM

Awesome Pics!!! Good to see your enjoying it! Can't wait to get mine done and play in the sand as well!!

SONOSADSACK 05-27-2015 07:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
orange72blazer
Wow. So cool to see pictures and thanks for posting them. I only took one picture all weekend and didn’t think to snap a picture of my own truck. Thanks for the compliments. The thumbs up and kind words from strangers really made for a great weekend. I was very happy with the way it preformed overall. It feels good to have something with a little pep under the hood too. I looked all over for some of you guys from the forum but didn’t see anyone. Please tell me you were not sitting right behind me in your bright orange Blazer and I missed it??

1972 Jimmy
I am absolutely enjoying it and I hope to see you in the dunes soon.
P.S. They also work well for getting Ice Cream

My one and only weekend picture and one I found on MLive.