The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Kabwe's aka Bam's build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=440079)

troy54gmc 03-17-2011 07:08 PM

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Man i would watch it. it wouldnt be any different than anything they got on tv now. they get u interested in a project then they run reruns of it and never finish it anyways. im in, ill be ur comic relief helper.:four:

hammerdog57 03-17-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4558944)
No one would watched because it was take 5 seasons to finish the truck.lol

Wouldnt take five seasons. They pay you well enough to to quit your day job plus bonuses, have venders supply you with free parts. Allows you to work on truck full time. Only catch is truck must be done in one season.

troy54gmc 03-17-2011 07:32 PM

Not to mention a fully stocked garage with every tool you can imagine. Man this show is sounding better and better.

Kabwe 03-17-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy54gmc (Post 4559614)
Man i would watch it. it wouldnt be any different than anything they got on tv now. they get u interested in a project then they run reruns of it and never finish it anyways. im in, ill be ur comic relief helper.:four:

That is so true, they call it a cliff hanger. But they never come back to it.lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by hammerdog57 (Post 4559646)
Wouldnt take five seasons. They pay you well enough to to quit your day job plus bonuses, have venders supply you with free parts. Allows you to work on truck full time. Only catch is truck must be done in one season.

The catch is my problem.lol I have to stop changing my mind long enough to finish something. But the quit your day job and vendors supplying me with goodies sounds wonderful. Oh I can change the truck again with all the parts I can now get for free.lol I would I'm telling the truth.lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by troy54gmc (Post 4559665)
Not to mention a fully stocked garage with every tool you can imagine. Man this show is sounding better and better.

I can not imagine a fully stocked garage and space to work, not even in my wildest dreams.lol That would be heaven for me.

CAL 58 GMC 03-18-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4545012)

Nice job!! I would have never been brave enough to cut into a new column.

Kabwe 03-18-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC (Post 4561181)
Nice job!! I would have never been brave enough to cut into a new column.

What's the worst that could happen? I'd have to buy another new column.lol
It was so easy I was ashamed that I stressed over it. I ended up shortening it a little more than whats in that pic, only about a half inch is sticking out now.

Rods57 03-19-2011 12:42 AM

What are you going to use for a brake booster? i am kicking around the under the cab type but lots of people are saying its a pain and they have issue with the fit. i just like the firewall clean but i want to work too.

Kabwe 03-19-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 4562435)
What are you going to use for a brake booster? i am kicking around the under the cab type but lots of people are saying its a pain and they have issue with the fit. i just like the firewall clean but i want to work too.

I will be running a hydroboost system under the cab with a remote fill reservoir. I also like the look of a smooth firewall.

Rods57 03-24-2011 01:03 AM

Door Repair
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/...366b4ca81a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3544/...4f8cc06c57.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3527/...4f1135af2a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3648/...4752c115df.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3617/...c53bc161f1.jpg[/QUOTE]

Where did you get the repair panels? and would you get them from there again. Did they come with the hinge nuts in them or is that separate? thanks, looking at your build is like having an instruction manual on-line...

troy54gmc 03-24-2011 02:24 AM

Looking good my friend, looking real good.. as allways.

Kabwe 03-24-2011 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 4573910)
Door Repair

Where did you get the repair panels? and would you get them from there again. Did they come with the hinge nuts in them or is that separate? thanks, looking at your build is like having an instruction manual on-line...

I got my panels from Brothers trucks. The inner panel was nice but the outer door skin left much to be desired so I ended up must making my own out of 18 gauge metal. The problem with the outer skin was the metal felt too thin and flimsy. The inner panel is a nice piece and when I bought mine the hinge nut panel came separate. I hope this helps and I'm glad you find my build useful. I told you that you would enjoy this site, there are a lot of really nice build going on over here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy54gmc (Post 4573982)
Looking good my friend, looking real good.. as allways.

Thanks man, and your build is looking great also. I've been following it very closely, everything is looking good.

MrDude_1 03-24-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4545012)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5258/...7f5758b322.jpg

I was completely shocked at how easy this was it took all of 30 min and most of that was measuring.

I really like how clean this looks. With the fasteners changed (so they dont stick out at all) it will be perfect.

Where did you get this floor column bulkhead fitting? Is this the same universal ball one I see everywhere?

Mine will be going out closer to the toeboard, but I still want that clean look.

Kabwe 03-24-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDude_1 (Post 4574863)
I really like how clean this looks. With the fasteners changed (so they dont stick out at all) it will be perfect.

Where did you get this floor column bulkhead fitting? Is this the same universal ball one I see everywhere?

Mine will be going out closer to the toeboard, but I still want that clean look.

Mrdude_1,

You are correct it is the same universal mount that you see everywhere. I really wish I could have gone through the toeboard like you are going to do, but I did not have that option after the dash transplant. The one I have is a flaming river, I bought it on ebay for 70 bucks I believe. I think you can find them cheaper if you don't go with a name brand one.

61 son of a Gun 03-28-2011 06:13 PM

I have to give you props on that pancaked hood .. Looks really sweet !

Kabwe 03-28-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 61 son of a Gun (Post 4584340)
I have to give you props on that pancaked hood .. Looks really sweet !

Thanks man

hotrod1 03-30-2011 12:00 PM

Hey Bam: What do u think that you will do for the rear? Bumper or roll pan? I dont know if I am a fan of the roll pans on the market.

Kabwe 03-30-2011 05:29 PM

I'm leaning towards a bumper of some sort, but it will not be stocked. I never liked how the stock bumper looked unfinished on these trucks. The stock bumper looks like an after thought. I don't know but I need to start thinking about it.lol

VDOG 03-31-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4589178)
I'm leaning towards a bumper of some sort, but it will not be stocked. I never liked how the stock bumper looked unfinished on these trucks. The stock bumper looks like an after thought. I don't know but I need to start thinking about it.lol

Knowing you, it will be tricked out to the point that some of us will line up to have you customize our trucks. You do need a show. :metal:

Kabwe 03-31-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4591300)
Knowing you, it will be tricked out to the point that some of us will line up to have you customize our trucks. You do need a show. :metal:

Flattery will get you no where my friend. This is not a nightclub.lol Try those lines on someone else.lol

VDOG 04-01-2011 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kabwe (Post 4591309)
flattery will get you no where my friend. This is not a nightclub.lol try those lines on someone else.lol

lmao!!

OKGMC4 04-01-2011 07:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't like the stock bumpers ether. I like the 70's stepside bumpers better but only a little. I really like the one on the Ironworks 57 but it's a one off custom and I don't have those skills. I don't even like how my homemade roll pan looks and it may come off. I keep looking at the 56 Ford bumper and thinking that being square it fits the rear of these trucks better than the chevy version. I also like the look of the last truck but if you look there is a ton of metal work in that, not just the pan but the whole tail section.

kmdracer 04-01-2011 08:05 AM

Very nice build. As a newbie around here, I missed the first go build thread. Glad I found this one!

Kabwe 04-01-2011 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OKGMC4 (Post 4592865)
I don't like the stock bumpers ether. I like the 70's stepside bumpers better but only a little. I really like the one on the Ironworks 57 but it's a one off custom and I don't have those skills. I don't even like how my homemade roll pan looks and it may come off. I keep looking at the 56 Ford bumper and thinking that being square it fits the rear of these trucks better than the chevy version. I also like the look of the last truck but if you look there is a ton of metal work in that, not just the pan but the whole tail section.

I thought about the ironworks truck but with some variation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmdracer (Post 4592915)
Very nice build. As a newbie around here, I missed the first go build thread. Glad I found this one!

I'm glad you enjoy it. Thanks for the compliment its much appreciated.

yukon ratrod 04-17-2011 02:52 PM

hows things going over here??? the snows almost melted and my 57 is starting to reappear from the snow pile. I had my father plow the driveway in such a way that I couldnt get to it until spring. great way to take a break! Been building a 72 roadrunner pro touring car for the last month and making good headway, but missing the trucks. got my 72 almost to the point where shes looking closer to finished, but still got to spend a few more thousands yet. didnt plan on getting this carried away with it. spent some big money on parts and there piling up and awaiting my return.

yukon ratrod 04-17-2011 02:58 PM

in regards to your bumper issues, what about using a 65 mustang front bumper and nip and tuck it for a super clean look! clean, simple to look at, and the only down fall is the hours its going to take! but your crafty.