The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   pdx-sanity66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=515110)

aggie91 07-04-2013 08:41 AM

Re: pdx-sanity66

It takes a bit to get the texture to look the way you want. I ended up holding the gun about 12" away and used a fairly quick movement side to side to get the texture I wanted. I had a spot where I laid it on really thick and it looked OK but different from the rest of the area. It was not hard to use at all. I plan on doing the inside of the bed with it too.

McMurphy 07-04-2013 03:36 PM

Ok buddy, you totally inspired me to change up my compressor game too.
However, I had a heck of a deal fall into my lap.

I am going to install my new set up today, and post some pics !!

Happy 4th down there, hope you get a chance to enjoy it ! :flag:

pdxhall 07-12-2013 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6156855)
Ok buddy, you totally inspired me to change up my compressor game too.
However, I had a heck of a deal fall into my lap.

I am going to install my new set up today, and post some pics !!

Happy 4th down there, hope you get a chance to enjoy it ! :flag:

Hey, Murph, I saw your compressor setup. NICE! I had a great 4th of July weekend and now it's time to do a little more on Sanity.

I'm getting ready to order the undercoating for the cab bottom so I decided to get the inside roof stripped and epoxy primed while it's in a convenient location. None of that upside down sanding for me. :lol: I didn't quite get done today so I'll finish up tomorrow. Here's how it looks now.

pdxhall 07-14-2013 06:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finished the epoxy on the roof.

rusty76 07-14-2013 06:41 PM

Looks good

Bomp 07-14-2013 07:27 PM

Nice job Brett.
Are you going back with that original color?

pdxhall 07-14-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6173022)
Looks good

Thanks, man.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6173096)
Nice job Brett.
Are you going back with that original color?

Thanks. No, I'm going with a silver. Something resembling an aluminum look. I haven't found the exact color but I know in my head what it will look like. Along with a dark dash, black carpet, and some well placed trim colors. I haven't decided on the seats, yet. Probably either black or a match to the dash.

pdxhall 07-20-2013 05:08 AM

I was able to get a little more done on Sanity the last couple of days. I got the blaster out again and cleaned up around the windshield frame and the tops of the door frames. You know, more of that upside down stuff when the cab goes back upright. :metal:
Everything cleaned up nice. Now it's time to smooth the seams on the door frames and the front door pillar to roof section. I used some steel rod and a small piece of sheet metal on the largest gap. Pictures will be coming when possible.

pdxhall 08-04-2013 11:19 PM

I got the seams all filled on the upper door frame and the roof to pillar area. Still no pictures. I have taken quite a few but I just don't want to go through the hassle it takes to post them now. Too bad things had to be "fixed" and it made things worse. The reason I started this build thread was to keep motivated while I work on my truck and hopefully share what I learn with others. I may just become a little antisocial and start lurking instead of posting for a while till things work themselves out. I'm too old to put up with the hassle. There are better things to put my efforts in to.

Bomp 08-04-2013 11:47 PM

Sounds like your making tons of progress on the cab.

I use Photobucket but have been told that I will regret it some day.
Others re-size their pics in paint to upload on the forum.
Good luck on the pic thing.
Hope to get a look at your truck progress.,.,,,,sounds like your making lots of progress:metal:

pdxhall 08-11-2013 04:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Testing out the picture posts. Looks okay so here goes. As I mentioned earlier I got this crazy idea that I needed to fill the seams in the door pillars and roof pillars so here goes. These are some pics of what I'm talking about

pdxhall 08-11-2013 04:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Some of the patches for the gaps.

pdxhall 08-11-2013 04:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
welds cleaned up and ready for primer and a little filler.

Bomp 08-11-2013 12:25 PM

Seams look great.
Its those nice finishing touches that makes a nice quality build all that much better.
Nice Job:metal:

rusty76 08-11-2013 12:52 PM

Looks like you are still tinkering along. As always can't wait to see more.

pdxhall 08-11-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6215094)
Seams look great.
Its those nice finishing touches that makes a nice quality build all that much better.
Nice Job:metal:

Thanks, man. Yeah it's these kind of things you know would have been done better if these trucks were not a mass produced assembly line build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 6215134)
Looks like you are still tinkering along. As always can't wait to see more.

Thanks for looking in. Now that I've got the picture thing working for me I'll hopefully have more stuff soon. :metal:

Ta2Don 08-11-2013 11:20 PM

Love the attention to detail, keep rockin!!!:metal:

pdxhall 08-31-2013 02:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I finally got back to Sanity after a camping weekend off. I got the Raptor Liner sprayed on the bottom of the cab. I have also been working on the seams a little more and sprayed another coat of epoxy on them. They are now ready for a small skim coat of filler.

clemdaddy 08-31-2013 03:10 AM

man thats cool. and you're right. we seem to be on the same track as far as build timing goes... erie, maybe but kinda fun too. i really do wish i had taken the time to fill the seams, that is cool and cleans up an area that i never could figure why the factory didn't take care of...

pdxhall 08-31-2013 03:31 AM

Thanks, man. I had planned on filling the seams on the rockers from the beginning but to be honest I never really thought about the upper pillar and roof seam until I got the cab on its back. After staring at them for a couple of weeks they had to go.

pdxhall 09-10-2013 02:40 AM

Not to much to report. At least nothing worth posting pics of right now. I've been working on smoothing up the seams I welded. A little filler, primer, etc,etc. You all know the routine.
I have been trying to find another seat bottom from a custom option seat so I can continue with my bucket seat project. I thought I had one but when I went to see it, it had broken springs on the driver's side which always seems to be the case.
Still on the lookout for one. If anybody locally has one they're willing to part with for a decent price, please let me know.

I won't be working on Sanity for a couple of weeks as I'm on vacation as of Wednesday. We're heading down to American Fork, Utah to visit my mom and siblings. :metal:

chad64chevy 09-10-2013 08:48 PM

progress is looking good, I like how you filled the seams, I will be doing the same on mine along will the gap on the a pillar on the inside! I have already filled the seam for the big back window and want a smoother look!! keep it up, it looks great!! have a great vacation, we will all be here when you get back to sanity!!

LostMy65 09-10-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6261967)
Not to much to report. At least nothing worth posting pics of right now. I've been working on smoothing up the seams I welded. A little filler, primer, etc,etc. You all know the routine.
I have been trying to find another seat bottom from a custom option seat so I can continue with my bucket seat project. I thought I had one but when I went to see it, it had broken springs on the driver's side which always seems to be the case.
Still on the lookout for one. If anybody locally has one they're willing to part with for a decent price, please let me know.

I won't be working on Sanity for a couple of weeks as I'm on vacation as of Wednesday. We're heading down to American Fork, Utah to visit my mom and siblings. :metal:

Yeah, it's too bad it was broke. I had wished I could of ended your ongoing search. It was still cool to meet up with you and talk some. Thanks again for the seat tracks.
Posted via Mobile Device

pdxhall 09-24-2013 12:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got back from vacation on Saturday and back to work Sunday for 3 days of 12 hr. shifts. I hope to get back to Sanity on Wednesday but I wanted to share a couple of pics I dug out while visiting my 84 yr. old mother. One is my high school ride, a 55 chev 210, and the other is the truck my dad had when I was a kid. Went on many camping trips in this rig. This is where my love of these trucks started.

Ta2Don 09-24-2013 07:08 AM

Awesome Pics...
Posted via Mobile Device