The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=546694)

Alan's Classic 04-20-2014 10:05 AM

Re: CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

Frame is looking killer!

chad64chevy 04-20-2014 12:01 PM

MAN chadwick is real happy to have his truck in the same zip code :lol:, and that por-15 frame looks really awesome, good job! so your moving too and have a lil deadline, but don't worry your truck and all of us will be here for you, lol :metal::metal:

McMurphy 04-20-2014 01:38 PM

Glad to see some updates, and thanks for stopping by my build too, the encouragement is very helpful !!

You definately have some irons in the fire !!
I too have set a deadline, so I know about the itch to hustle on the build.

Good luck and enjoy the camper adventure :metal:

markeb01 04-20-2014 02:34 PM

Outstanding! Glad to see you're moving forward and have accomplished a lot. Everything you've completed so far looks great. Looking forward to the next updates.

MARTYZ 04-20-2014 10:55 PM

Frame looks great, good to see you back on line, what a winter we have had, haven't seen snow like that in 25 yrs or so
:canada::canada:

CRGRS 66 04-20-2014 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan's Classic (Post 6637406)
Frame is looking killer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6637552)
MAN chadwick is real happy to have his truck in the same zip code :lol:, and that por-15 frame looks really awesome, good job! so your moving too and have a lil deadline, but don't worry your truck and all of us will be here for you, lol :metal::metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 6637683)
Glad to see some updates, and thanks for stopping by my build too, the encouragement is very helpful !!

You definately have some irons in the fire !!
I too have set a deadline, so I know about the itch to hustle on the build.

Good luck and enjoy the camper adventure :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by markeb01 (Post 6637743)
Outstanding! Glad to see you're moving forward and have accomplished a lot. Everything you've completed so far looks great. Looking forward to the next updates.

Thanks Alan, Chaaaawick, Michael, Mark, appreciate you guys looking in. It doesn't look like much, but this is monumental progress for me. I might remind you that although I have had some old cars and trucks in the past, this is the first time I have ever attempted a restoration/rebuild. I plan to pay some attention to the differential this winter, (after close to 50 years it must at least need bearings...), I will make it mechanically sound and pretty.
Rear suspension is a mix of porterbuilt and cpp, porterbuilt stage 1 kit, cpp sawy bar. Just need to install shocks back there.
Feels good to put the wheels back on:metal:

CRGRS 66 04-20-2014 11:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure why, but I love this picture

CRGRS 66 04-20-2014 11:08 PM

MartyZeeee!!! We are heading up your way in August, would really like to meet up with you, maybe at the beach, think we are going Aug 16/17

63sbssbbw 04-21-2014 08:15 PM

Looking Good Craigers
I'm about where you're at with mine
Playing brake line fabber at the moment..LOL
Found most of what I need at Bumper to Bumper of all places
And at about a quarter of what you'd pay down south .
Keep pushin' Bud
Trent

chad64chevy 04-21-2014 09:08 PM

that looks great, I went with the Camaro sway bar on top of the trailer arms! looks a lil different then your setup but in the end its the same results! keep it up, ill be checking in from time to time if not daily, an making updates on mine on the weekends

clemdaddy 04-22-2014 08:16 AM

your suspension is looking good man. glad you're back at it and posting up again. like the combination of components you chose for the frame... nice.

severedchris 04-24-2014 12:49 PM

If you don't mind post up some pics of how the captain's bracket works with that CPP unit. I will be running the same getup. Thanks

cortcomp 05-02-2014 10:49 PM

Cool camper, and man that is some gorgeous frame work!

CRGRS 66 05-02-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 63sbssbbw (Post 6639729)
Looking Good Craigers
I'm about where you're at with mine
Playing brake line fabber at the moment..LOL
Found most of what I need at Bumper to Bumper of all places
And at about a quarter of what you'd pay down south .
Keep pushin' Bud
Trent

Tough weekend last week, expect some progress this w/e, thanks for looking in

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6639816)
that looks great, I went with the Camaro sway bar on top of the trailer arms! looks a lil different then your setup but in the end its the same results! keep it up, ill be checking in from time to time if not daily, an making updates on mine on the weekends

Always look forward to your updates, enjoy these years with the "youngins"

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 6640570)
your suspension is looking good man. glad you're back at it and posting up again. like the combination of components you chose for the frame... nice.

Thank you kind sir!

Quote:

Originally Posted by severedchris (Post 6644110)
If you don't mind post up some pics of how the captain's bracket works with that CPP unit. I will be running the same getup. Thanks

Sorry, don't have much in the way of pictures, and my PS gear box is one I bought from Advance Auto Parts, think there may be specifics on it earlier in my thread. Feel free to contact Captain Fab, he will be pleased to give you all the details you need. The captain is a supporting vendor on this forum his, and his products are excellent. You should have no trouble finding threads related to the PS bracket, as well as his PB booster bracket on the forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cortcomp (Post 6657073)
Cool camper, and man that is some gorgeous frame work!

Thanks for looking in sir, maybe I will place an order with you for bed wood when I get to tht point;)

Captainfab 05-03-2014 01:55 AM

Glad to see you back and making some progress on your truck :)

Lookin good :thumbs:

CRGRS 66 05-03-2014 05:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Making progress, but at the same time I am eating soup with a fork. I will have to revisit the control arms in the future as the seals on the lowers just do not fit. I think I will bite the bullet and buy the repop LCA's that come complete with shafts and seals already installed... My deadline is to be able to move the rolling chassis with engine transmission installed in about a months time so I must forge ahead.

CRGRS 66 05-03-2014 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Passenger side together, little disappointed with the shocks, I will have to shave the bushings to fit the stock LCA mount. After all of the trial and error today the driver side should go together pretty quick, maybe later tonight... maybe in the morning.

Ta2Don 05-03-2014 07:30 PM

Lookin' Good Craigerr...:metal:

Progress and a deadline set! :clap:

CRGRS 66 05-15-2014 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Front suspension all together, not shown here, but steering linkage is on as well. Currently working on marrying engine transmission together, should be sitting in the frame Saturday... Sunday latest.
Our house sale/purchase finally firmed up, we take possession of the new house June 6th, but don't have to be out of the current house until July 4th, so the move will be low pressure.
Cheers gents/ladies as the case may be.

chad64chevy 05-18-2014 01:27 PM

looking good, getting closer to a full roller!!:metal::metal:
enjoy your updates as well my friend, it's funny frame wise both us an mine are pretty close to the some, small lil tweaks here and there but over all pretty close!!

CRGRS 66 05-19-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad64chevy (Post 6678551)
looking good, getting closer to a full roller!!:metal::metal:
enjoy your updates as well my friend, it's funny frame wise both us an mine are pretty close to the some, small lil tweaks here and there but over all pretty close!!

Thanks for looking in Chad!

CRGRS 66 05-19-2014 11:50 PM

Will get some pictures up tomorrow, but I now have an assembled roller with engine and trans installed. After getting some pictures loaded up it will be a little while before I have much in the way of updates as I need to get the house in order for the move. We will need to get settled in a bit before getting back to wrenching. One thing I have not mentioned to date is that I have moved my cab to my buddy's shop, more on that when I post up pictures tomorrow.

siggyfreud 05-20-2014 12:34 AM

Congrats on the new home!

I'm about where you are in the build, except I don't have wheels and tires. I just got done with the front suspension a few weeks ago and it was the most pain in the butt experience so far.

I too got frustrated with the LCAs, and ended up ordering new ones after I bent one trying to get the bushings in (I have pressed bushings on mine).

Glad to see another getting their front end done :). I'm excited to see picks of your roller!

pdxhall 05-20-2014 05:59 AM

Hey man, nice progress on the truck. On the lower shock mounts I had the same problem but I just bent the mount out a little so they would fit. It didn't take much, just a big crescent wrench an a little tug and they opened up enough to fit.

CRGRS 66 05-20-2014 12:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by siggyfreud (Post 6685357)
Congrats on the new home!

I'm about where you are in the build, except I don't have wheels and tires. I just got done with the front suspension a few weeks ago and it was the most pain in the butt experience so far.

I too got frustrated with the LCAs, and ended up ordering new ones after I bent one trying to get the bushings in (I have pressed bushings on mine).

Glad to see another getting their front end done :). I'm excited to see picks of your roller!

Where did you get your control arms, were they repops from LMC/Classic, or the like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 6685457)
Hey man, nice progress on the truck. On the lower shock mounts I had the same problem but I just bent the mount out a little so they would fit. It didn't take much, just a big crescent wrench an a little tug and they opened up enough to fit.

I was thinking I would do a little bendy wendy as well, the passenger side needs to be teaked, but the driver side was a good fit.

Well, I am essentially where I need to be to make the move go smoothly. This unfortunately means that it may be a month or 6 weeks before I get back working on the truck. The only thing I will do before the move settles out is have the drive shaft shortened and toss it in. Also dropping my starter off for a rebuild, no idea what condition it is in, so may as well have it freshened up so it is not a potential concern.
Thanks for checking in guys!