The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Vic1947 08-18-2013 05:17 PM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

5 Attachment(s)
Speaking of suspension, the trailing arms needed a lot of TLC. The rust between the two halves had pushed them apart to the point most of the spot welds were broken. There were also two major areas of rot that will require a patch. I milled a window around the rotted area to prep for welding in a 5/16" thick plate. I then cleaned out the gap between the halves and drew the halves together in the vise. Ran several weld beads to hold everything in place. The last step will be to weld ECE Strong Arm plates on the top and bottom of the arms. I ordered them the other day and hopefully they'll be here next week. You can see from the pictures the before and after up to this point. I also pressed out the rubber bushings to make way for the urethane replacement bushings.

Xeen 08-18-2013 05:21 PM

Very nice Vic, I bet you are getting excited now that you are getting closer to assembly.
What color are you going to paint the engine?

bguild 08-18-2013 06:16 PM

Looks great. Those trailing arms were seperated (-;
Posted via Mobile Device

Vic1947 08-18-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6226980)
Very nice Vic, I bet you are getting excited now that you are getting closer to assembly.
What color are you going to paint the engine?

I've settled on Toxic Orange Pearl for the exterior, so my plan is to paint the engine a cream color. I haven't been to the paint store to actually make the decision, but I'm sure they'll have something that will work.

Vic1947 08-18-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bguild (Post 6227050)
Looks great. Those trailing arms were seperated (-;
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Brian. BTW, opened up the coffin today and the 9" stuff was right where I left it. So one of these days when the Porterbuilt train pulls into the station, we'll have what you need.

snipescastle2 08-19-2013 08:06 AM

Vic,
I have another set of trailing arm's I got with my '71, you can have them if you want...I work for KCPL and work at the Hawthorn Plant in Independence (Off I 435 & Front street) I have to remove them from another frame I have but the offer stands...let me know.
Ben Smith

Vic1947 08-19-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipescastle2 (Post 6228028)
Vic,
I have another set of trailing arm's I got with my '71, you can have them if you want...I work for KCPL and work at the Hawthorn Plant in Independence (Off I 435 & Front street) I have to remove them from another frame I have but the offer stands...let me know.
Ben Smith

Thanks for the offer, Ben. Other than welding on the Strong Arm plates I'm done, so I think I'll stick with these. Reckon I should have piped up sooner, though. Would have saved a lot of work. ;)

snipescastle2 08-19-2013 09:32 AM

Vic,
No worries, let me know if there is anything else you may need, I have some extra parts that I may not be using......
Ben

Low Elco 08-19-2013 10:18 AM

Looks good (Like it always does). Better get after it, you're on a deadline now! MUAHahahaha!

Vic1947 08-21-2013 06:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, the thrash is on. Detray finished my plating ahead of schedule, so I threw a few parts together on the front. Plasma cutter is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I can finally get the rearend apart. Got the TH400 down off the engine stand where it has resided since cleanup. Block goes up on the stand later this evening when my neighbor picks up his bambino. Whew! Hope to have it rolling by the end of next week if I cut back on naptimes. I will make it to the Midwest Nats... I will make it to the Midwest Nats...

67cheby 08-21-2013 06:28 PM

WOW, nice !

bguild 08-21-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6227121)
Thanks Brian. BTW, opened up the coffin today and the 9" stuff was right where I left it. So one of these days when the Porterbuilt train pulls into the station, we'll have what you need.

Thanks Vic. It might be awhile before I do the Porterbuilt but once the wife gets out of school the train will arrive quickly. (-;
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 08-21-2013 06:47 PM

That is a insane amount of fasteners you media blasted no wonder it took so long, the amount of patience required is stagering.
The Cadmium plating turned out very nice if one didn't know better they might think they were gold plated.
It looks like you got a good start on assembly, at this rate you will no doubt make the deadline with no help from anyone...

Vic1947 08-21-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6232375)
That is a insane amount of fasteners you media blasted no wonder it took so long, the amount of patience required is stagering.
The Cadmium plating turned out very nice if one didn't know better they might think they were gold plated.
It looks like you got a good start on assembly, at this rate you will no doubt make the deadline with no help from anyone...

Thanks, Brian. Yellow cad looks nice next to the black frame and should go well with the body color. As far as the assembly is concerned I'm pretty sure I'll need some help. Deadline is rapidly approaching. Taking the bed apart is best done with two people and I need to completely disassemble it as I want to section the floor and sides separately instead of as a unit. I'd like to at least have the floor sectioned and mounted for the Nats. I'll get with you on a timetable.

Xeen 08-21-2013 08:02 PM

You have 15 days which is more than enough time to complete the engine assembly and instal the drivetrain plus complete the metal work and reassembly of the bed.
I have faith in you.

Low Elco 08-22-2013 08:11 AM

Let us know, Hopefully Yeller will be runnin' by the end of the week, and we'll be freed up. Man, I wish our hardware looked like that.

65Gregg 08-22-2013 11:07 AM

1st post for this below quoted below

"I'm determined to use it as a daily driver and not over restore it like my other truck. Like many 40+ year old trucks, it has lots of problems. My goal is to address the safety and reliability issues as well as the sheetmetal shortcomings. I doubt it will get anything other than a good coat of epoxy primer and I currently have no plans to convert it to discs or 5 lugs. I will post progress reports as they occur, so follow along if you like."

I'm not real sure where this build took a hard left turn from the original plan, but it sure is a fun ride!!

mcbassin 08-22-2013 11:17 AM

I'm digging all the gold fasteners. Nice

Low Elco 08-22-2013 11:18 AM

You have to know Vic... If it ain't tight, it ain't right! There's 2 kinds of engineers-he's the good kind.
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 08-22-2013 11:44 AM

Vic agreed to take the NCIS Gibs slap in the back of the head if he starts to get too far off course, but honestly I haven't seen anything worth a slap yet.
Everything Vic does is so nice that it's too nice to drive but he's going to drive it anyway, which IMO is the awesome part!
Most guys let the quality slip if they are going to be driving it but not Vic it will be the nicest parts hauler anyone has ever seen that's for sure.

Vic1947 08-22-2013 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the nice words everyone. I know this looks like another trip down show truck lane, but underneath the covers it isn't. True to my original goal, I've kept the 6 lug drum brakes and I'm using as much of the existing hardware as possible. I'm focused on replacing anything I deem unsafe which happens to include rotted out floorboards that could easily yield in an accident. The cleanup stuff is just my anal retentive nature. But even that has its limits. This time around, I bought Chassis Saver paint for the frame and suspension pieces instead of powdercoating. It's tough walking the line between cost and quality. I once worked for a guy who told me, "Anyone can smother a fire with money." I'm trying to keep that in mind.

Xeen 08-22-2013 05:43 PM

Vic I really like those centercaps, they compliment the style of wheel nicely.

snipescastle2 08-23-2013 10:47 AM

Vic,
where did you go for the plating? was that local, or did you send it out? and if you don't mind me asking, how much do they charge for the service?
looking at having several brackets/door hardware done like yours....thanks and great looking progress!!!!
Ben:metal:

Low Elco 08-23-2013 11:01 AM

Good lord... It's been 24 YEARS since I heard the term Snipes Castle! I believe he went to Detray Plating Works, Independence, MO. It's right off Truman Rd, just west of the railroad bridge.
Posted via Mobile Device

snipescastle2 08-23-2013 12:06 PM

Low Elco,
Yeah, I'm a retired Navy Squid (1st Class Engineman) I believe that name originated at a base enlisted club at "Great Mistakes" (great lakes basic training center in Waukegan,Il.) I'll look into the plating info, thanks!
Ben Smith:metal: