The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   My 56 build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780018)

sginphx 09-28-2020 12:41 AM

Re: My 56 build

Looks amazing Jason!! All that hard work is paying off and it's going to be an awesome ride!

Jason 56 09-30-2020 12:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks SG, your truck has been inspirational to me! Can’t wait to see it done!

I finished getting everything in primer today. :metal:Slow to cure... was only 50 here today. Now to concentrate on the drive train! Transmission mount is next.

Jason 56 10-03-2020 12:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Finished the transmission mount and reassembled some of the front end. I was eager to see how the frame adjustment turned out. It was exactly what was needed. Now the front of the frame isn’t so low. Sure is nice to see it all one color again!

reaper71 10-03-2020 09:18 AM

looking good Jason!

Mark

sginphx 10-04-2020 12:08 AM

Firewall looks great and LOVE your inner fenderwells! Look similar to mine. Keep up the great work!

slammed57 10-04-2020 07:55 AM

looks fantastic . I did the same as you for the inner fenders. Iam not sure how low your truck will sit ,or the size of wheels, but check the front wheel clearance /travel to the fenders if you can. Iam on air ride and it was real close to rubbing when aired out and I had to modify it.....come to think about it, just about everything I had to do to to my truck had to be modified, even some of the bolt on guaranteed to fit parts! lol

my56chevytruck 10-12-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 56 (Post 8817259)
Finished the transmission mount and reassembled some of the front end. I was eager to see how the frame adjustment turned out. It was exactly what was needed. Now the front of the frame isn’t so low. Sure is nice to see it all one color again!

super nice work Jason. it's impressive to see the detail you've put into your work.

Jason 56 10-12-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammed57 (Post 8817655)
looks fantastic . I did the same as you for the inner fenders. Iam not sure how low your truck will sit ,or the size of wheels, but check the front wheel clearance /travel to the fenders if you can. Iam on air ride and it was real close to rubbing when aired out and I had to modify it.....come to think about it, just about everything I had to do to to my truck had to be modified, even some of the bolt on guaranteed to fit parts! lol

Good call. I’m planning on pulling the front springs and checking full travel. I’m pretty sure it should be ok with a static suspension... I hope:lol:

sginphx 10-26-2020 09:35 PM

Jason you are doing such a great job! Hope you're enjoying at much as we are watching! Keep it up...

Kevin_C 10-28-2020 10:15 PM

Looking great. I just picked up an Gen V LT1 & 8l90 for mine.

MDPotter 10-29-2020 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_C (Post 8828609)

Where did you guys find your Gen V powertrains? I've looked on eBay and I don't find that many engine/trans combos. I'd also be interested in getting the fans, radiator, and intake.

Kevin_C 10-29-2020 12:53 PM

Facebook market place and craigslist. There is a group on FB that a lot get listed.
"GM Gen V LT Swap and Mods" I lost out on a couple L83's with 6 speeds but ended up finding the LT1 local through FB market place.

MDPotter 10-29-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_C (Post 8828843)
Facebook market place and craigslist. There is a group on FB that a lot get listed.
"GM Gen V LT Swap and Mods" I lost out on a couple L83's with 6 speeds but ended up finding the LT1 local through FB market place.

Good to know, thanks! I've seen a couple listed locally on FB but one was basically brand new so they wanted a lot for it and the other was a mismatched engine/trans and I don't want to deal with that as these engines and trans don't seem to match up as easy as Gen 3/4. I'm also particular in what I'm looking for - 2014-2016 as it seems like the 2016.5+ require expensive ECM work to get them running.

Jason 56 10-30-2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_C (Post 8828609)

That’s cool. I haven’t found mine difficult to install. I’ll see how it goes as I slowly piece everything else together, then try to start it.

Last_Paladin 11-14-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 56 (Post 8829141)
That’s cool. I haven’t found mine difficult to install. I’ll see how it goes as I slowly piece everything else together, then try to start it.

How much room behind the HPFP and in front of the throttle body do you have?

Playing around with a model of Kevin's truck

Jason 56 11-15-2020 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Last_Paladin (Post 8835648)
How much room behind the HPFP and in front of the throttle body do you have?

Playing around with a model of Kevin's truck

My firewall clearance is about 3” and I have 7” of clearance between the dampener and core support. My firewall/blister is completely custom so it will be different from stock.

Last_Paladin 11-16-2020 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 56 (Post 8836337)
My firewall clearance is about 3” and I have 7” of clearance between the dampener and core support. My firewall/blister is completely custom so it will be different from stock.

Thanks.

We don't want a dog house in Kevin's build, so trying to avoid that.

Jason 56 02-12-2021 11:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I’ve been putting off a lot of home projects since I started my truck. I have most of them done now. So back to the truck! Fuel pump is mounted in the tank. Had to modify the pump height and the fuel level arm to work with my tank.

Jason 56 02-12-2021 11:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I spent a whole weekend installing new door seals and setting latch strikers. Wow was that fun :lol: Lots of adjusting and it turned out pretty good! The custom latch setup appears to work well. So... I’ve decided to move on to the interior. Here’s a shot of the drivers door card and kick panel. Not sure yet if fiberglass is in my future... maybe. Also a sketch I did for ideas.

Jason 56 02-14-2021 09:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I used some MDF and made door handles. So far it looks pretty good. Just needs some filler to finish them. The auxiliary door pulls from the corvette should blend nicely.

Dan in Pasadena 02-15-2021 11:09 PM

Impressive work, Jason!

I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments. Shouldn't you put some sort of screen across the louvers in the electronics box to ward off water getting in there if you drive through a puddle? The electronics box is a smart idea and wonder if you could put the electronics on a sort of shelf on drawer slides so you can pull it out when you want to service something in there.

Last, too late now but did you consider the old wheel barrow trick instead of all the metal work on your firewall? It really came out great but I imagine that was a LOT of work a wheel barrow donor would have avoided. But again, all nice work! Can't wait to see this build finished.

6DoF 02-16-2021 08:02 AM

love it! props on your patients and attention to detail.

57FleetsideC4 02-16-2021 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8880971)

Times 2 on that. Very nice detailed work. Steve

Jason 56 02-16-2021 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 8880888)
Impressive work, Jason!

I hope you don't mind if I make a few comments. Shouldn't you put some sort of screen across the louvers in the electronics box to ward off water getting in there if you drive through a puddle? The electronics box is a smart idea and wonder if you could put the electronics on a sort of shelf on drawer slides so you can pull it out when you want to service something in there.

I’ll see if it’s a problem when I start running it. :lol: I directed all the louvers away from directional tire spray, but who knows. I’m not worried about any of the electronics in there because everything is water resistant and factory mounted in similar locations/conditions

Last, too late now but did you consider the old wheel barrow trick instead of all the metal work on your firewall? It really came out great but I imagine that was a LOT of work a wheel barrow donor would have avoided. But again, all nice work! Can't wait to see this build finished.[/QUOTE]

I actually bought a wheelbarrow and moved it around mr garage for a year. When it came time to make the blister... I didn’t like the shape. So I grabbed the hammer.

Jason 56 02-16-2021 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 8880971)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 57FleetsideC4 (Post 8880986)
Times 2 on that. Very nice detailed work. Steve

Thanks guys!