The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin' (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774867)

Low Elco 08-20-2020 03:58 PM

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

I saw the pics on FB, I'm so glad you're seein' progress! Vic's gonna have a busy winter!

Vic1947 08-21-2020 11:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8795337)
Oops, always gotta be a hic up or you get worried. :lol:

True, but I really hate the hiccups.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8795408)
I saw the pics on FB, I'm so glad you're seein' progress! Vic's gonna have a busy winter!

Me too, Chip. I stopped in this morning and Sean had just finished the basecoat and was going over it with his day light looking for any streaks or mottling. No problems so he was fixing to lay down the clear. Below are a few photos he sent after it was done. Out in the prep area, they were in the process of buffing the doors and other parts as well. Everything looked great!

sduckworth13 08-22-2020 12:11 AM

That really looks nice Vic!

Ol Blue K20 08-22-2020 06:02 AM

It looks sweet!!

mongocanfly 08-22-2020 10:52 AM

Really nice..!!...

Vic1947 08-22-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 8796086)
That really looks nice Vic!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8796126)
It looks sweet!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8796199)
Really nice..!!...

Thanks, guys! It's been a long time coming but this is a major milestone. Looking forward to having it back home and doing some final assembly of all the parts I have laying around.

mongocanfly 08-22-2020 01:41 PM

Seeing it all in silver , i can really see how your 2 tone would have looked...sorry that didnt work out for you.

Vic1947 08-22-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8796287)
Seeing it all in silver , i can really see how your 2 tone would have looked...sorry that didnt work out for you.

Me too, Greg, but it would have added extra time and expense and at this point I was just ready for it to be back home. My wife has never been a fan of two tone paint jobs and couldn't visualize what I had in mind, so she was relieved when I altered course. ;)

mongocanfly 08-22-2020 04:02 PM

Are you doing anything color wise between the trim on the rear quarters?

Vic1947 08-22-2020 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8796339)
Are you doing anything color wise between the trim on the rear quarters?

I have the aluminum Bel Air inserts for those areas. It was born a 210, but I sourced the correct Bel Air / Nomad crown moldings as well as the side pieces, so the net effect will be a cloned Bel Air. I also decided to dress up the front fenders with the fuelie flags and script. I need to do some research on the forum for the correct placement since my fenders aren't drilled for them.

One other thing I haven't worked out yet is the Bel Air script that came attached to the side panels. It's gold, while most of the rest of my emblems are chrome. Not sure if it will stick out like a sore thumb or not.

Ol Blue K20 08-22-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 8796367)
I have the aluminum Bel Air inserts for those areas. It was born a 210, but I sourced the correct Bel Air / Nomad crown moldings as well as the side pieces, so the net effect will be a cloned Bel Air. I also decided to dress up the front fenders with the fuelie flags and script. I need to do some research on the forum for the correct placement since my fenders aren't drilled for them.

One other thing I haven't worked out yet is the Bel Air script that came attached to the side panels. It's gold, while most of the rest of my emblems are chrome. Not sure if it will stick out like a sore thumb or not.

I think the gold will be fine. They were mixed chrome and gold new..No matter what, it's gonna look cool as ####.

knomadd 08-24-2020 12:20 PM

Yep, Dale's right. I believe all Bel Air emblems, the Chevrolet script, the "v" and the front grille were gold on the Bel Air. Everything else was chrome or polished stainless. The lower models didn't have any gold emblems. The mix of gold and chrome will be fine.

Paint looks great by the way!

Vic1947 08-24-2020 12:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8796373)
I think the gold will be fine. They were mixed chrome and gold new..No matter what, it's gonna look cool as ####.

Thanks, Dale, sure hope so. ;)

They moved the body outside this morning to cure out some more in the sun. I plan to go down there this afternoon for a look see and to take them the door hinges. I rebuilt them with new bushings and replaced some of the springs that help hold the door open that were broken. Couldn't find reproduction pieces but I was able to source some used ones.

Went out to get the newspaper this morning and the radiator was sitting on the front porch. No heads up that it was on its way, but was a nice surprise. It looks great and should fit the space in front of the original radiator opening. Will require a bit of modification to the core support but that's okay.

Vic1947 08-24-2020 03:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8797165)
Yep, Dale's right. I believe all Bel Air emblems, the Chevrolet script, the "v" and the front grille were gold on the Bel Air. Everything else was chrome or polished stainless. The lower models didn't have any gold emblems. The mix of gold and chrome will be fine.

Paint looks great by the way!

Thanks, Duane! I mainly got chrome emblems, but there were a few where gold was the only option. I didn't really want any more gold on it than absolutely necessary. I'd rather it be presented as a 210 with some Bel Air touches.

Some more photos I took this afternoon. They said it took two guys about three hours to get the roof the way they wanted. But it came out great from what I can tell out in the sun. For me, it's easier to see problematic areas inside under the lights. Or outside during the "magic hour" right after the sun goes down.

mongocanfly 08-24-2020 03:55 PM

It's a beaut Vic...you should be proud...

Ol Blue K20 08-24-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8797263)
it's a beaut vic...you should be proud...

x2

Low Elco 09-01-2020 09:48 AM

I saw the Rub out pics on FB, looks fantastic! I might have to sneak by there on the way home and take a peek. Are you gonna be in their lineup at World of Wheels? We're gonna be in it this year, you should be Too, we'll have some drinks! If they have World of Wheels, of course...

Scott2 09-01-2020 10:03 AM

That is gorgeous!

Vic1947 09-01-2020 12:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8797263)
It's a beaut Vic...you should be proud...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8797288)
x2

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8801261)
I saw the Rub out pics on FB, looks fantastic! I might have to sneak by there on the way home and take a peek. Are you gonna be in their lineup at World of Wheels? We're gonna be in it this year, you should be Too, we'll have some drinks! If they have World of Wheels, of course...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2 (Post 8801272)
That is gorgeous!

Thanks, guys! Starting to get pumped up about having my stuff back home. They still have to install the windshield and the back glass, hang the doors and rear hatch, then set the body back on the chassis. Maybe by next week it will be resting comfortably in my shop.

I do plan to have it at World of Wheels, Chip, one way or the other. Haven't talked to Rick about whether he would like it in his display. He does a lot of cars and they're all pretty nice. I just got a flyer from Mecum saying they're going to have an auction at the KC convention center toward the end of November. So I'm guessing unless things take a giant step backwards that come February, the show will go on. Fingers crossed.

Here's a few shots I downloaded off HRE's FB page...

swamp rat 09-02-2020 08:15 AM

Lookin great Vic!

Vic1947 09-03-2020 03:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by swamp rat (Post 8801870)
Lookin great Vic!

Thanks, Mike!

Took the rear hatch weatherstrip down to HRE this afternoon. They said it would be a lot easier to install now rather than after the hatch was in place. The windshield and back glass were in and look real nice. Got a chance to visit with the installer, Darrell, and he offered me some tips for installing the side glass and said if I needed any help to just let him know. At the rate they're going, they should be ready to set the body on the chassis next week.

mongocanfly 09-03-2020 04:12 PM

Nice Vic...the glass gives it a finished look..

Ol Blue K20 09-03-2020 04:43 PM

Looming more like car. Very Nice!!!

Vic1947 09-04-2020 04:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8802562)
Nice Vic...the glass gives it a finished look..

I agree, Greg.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8802575)
Looking more like car. Very Nice!!!

Won't be long until it looks even more like a car, Dale. All the doors and the hatch are on, so basically, it's ready to set on the chassis. Will have to wait a little longer since this is Labor Day weekend, though. ;)

lolife99 09-04-2020 08:25 PM

Beautiful.

Ol Blue K20 09-05-2020 11:28 AM

Very nice!

Vic1947 09-05-2020 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8803260)
Beautiful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8803500)
Very nice!

Thanks, guys! I talked to Rick at HRE yesterday and he wants to pick up the chassis on Tuesday, weather permitting. Our forecast calls for scattered showers on Tuesday and Wednesday, so I'm not sure what exactly will happen. It shouldn't take too long to get the body on and bolted down if all goes as planned. One potential fly-in-the-ointment is the remote battery cable. I ran a 2/0 cable from the rear of the car to the starter along the top of the frame rail. I won't know until the body goes on if will clear the ribs on the underside of the floor where the body bushings are installed. I tried using a straight edge to gauge whether I had enough clearance and it looks like I may have enough. But then again, I thought the coil covers would clear the firewall and was wrong about that. The good news is that it should be easy to move the cable to the side of the frame rail if all else fails. I gave Rick a heads-up about it, so they know to check it while it's on the two post lift.

Vic1947 09-07-2020 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Spent the better part of Labor Day, well... laboring. The inner fenders are now good enough to start spraying 2K primer. Once that's done, I'll mock up the core support, the old stock fenders and other pieces to get a pattern for the filler panels. I'd like to get all that done before the car returns home. It looks like a dust bomb went off inside the place, so once the chassis is gone, I need to fire up the leaf blower and air it out. Can't believe the weather is supposed to be way cooler for the rest of the week. 90 today, but allegedly will be 50 in a couple of days.

Warrens69GMC 09-07-2020 05:24 PM

God I hope it cools soon. 111* expected at my house today, and then it cools, hoping to be under triple digits the rest of the year........

Vic1947 09-14-2020 06:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC (Post 8804553)
God I hope it cools soon. 111* expected at my house today, and then it cools, hoping to be under triple digits the rest of the year........

We did get some cooler weather and even a little rain. Hoping Warren, Dale and everyone out west does too - and soon! Today was spectacular weather and even better... the wagon is in the shop! I was headed down to HRE this morning to pick up the hood and assorted other parts when Kathy called and said they were on the way. As I turned around to go back home they passed me on the road, so I followed them to the house. I think they were even happier to see it leave than I was to get it back. Looking forward to lots of assembly in the coming weeks. But first I plan to wipe off the dust and admire it for a bit. Stay tuned!

sduckworth13 09-14-2020 06:52 PM

It sure is a beauty Vic!

mongocanfly 09-15-2020 01:22 AM

good to see it back home Vic..!!

72 tigger 09-15-2020 05:22 AM

Looks great- has to feel good to have back. Don’t hit the garage door opener!

Ol Blue K20 09-15-2020 07:50 AM

It's absolutely gorgeous!

Ironhorse 09-15-2020 08:18 AM

VERY NICE, love those tri-fives. My 57 two door is under going interior now. Getting a bit impatient wanting it home so I can cruise a bit before I have to tuck her away for the winter.

BlueJeep 09-17-2020 11:33 AM

Looks great Vic!

Is your rear floor supposed to have wood over it? What are your plans back there?

Vic1947 09-20-2020 07:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 8808153)
It sure is a beauty Vic!

Thanks, Scott, you need to swing by and have a look if work or Katina ever let you have a day off.
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8808309)
good to see it back home Vic..!!

Amen to that, Greg!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8808326)
Looks great- has to feel good to have back. Don’t hit the garage door opener!

:lol: One of the guys on the tri-five forum said the same thing. Believe me, I've learned the hard way to lock it first.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8808352)
It's absolutely gorgeous!

Thanks, Dale! Hope you're doing okay. Been checking Cal Fire occasionally to see if anything is near you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironhorse (Post 8808358)
VERY NICE, love those tri-fives. My 57 two door is under going interior now. Getting a bit impatient wanting it home so I can cruise a bit before I have to tuck her away for the winter.

Would love to see a photo of it if you get a chance. My interior guy called a few days ago to check in. I think business is a bit slow right now. Hated to tell him it would probably be end of November before the wagon sees the inside of his shop.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 8809506)
Looks great Vic! Is your rear floor supposed to have wood over it? What are your plans back there?

Thanks! Not exactly sure what is supposed to be there. When I bought it, it had a piece of plywood over the spare tire well. I removed all that and used the space to install the EFI fuel tank. I have a piano hinged cover that allows me access to the tank if needed. I'm considering having the upholstery shop put carpet over the cargo area with Velcro around the edges to hold it in place. I've seen several nice ideas for that area, but if you make it too complex, you lose the access to the underside.

So I've been slowly getting organized. There's so much to do, I find myself getting sidetracked a lot. I needed to get the tack strip in before installing the quarter windows. Due to poor planning, I've used up all the material I bought and the upholstery shop was out of what I needed too. But they'll have some in tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I've been fixing screw ups. The rear tires and wheels can't be removed without taking out the lower shock bolts and dropping the rear end down. I removed the spacers and milled .300" off the lug nuts which helps a lot, but if I ever have a flat, it will be pretty ugly. Not that I've had a flat tire for years and years, but the universe has a quirky sense of humor.

Also realized the condenser a/c hard lines that came with the kit wouldn't clear the splash pan. So I shortened them as much as I could but they were still too close to suit me, so I gave in and built a little pocket for additional clearance.

I'd like to get some of the quarter trim on this week (which is why I needed to get the tires out of the way). Will post progress pics if I can keep from wandering off to do other stuff. ;)

BlueJeep 09-21-2020 10:47 AM

Thanks for the rear cargo area info, seems similar to a 54.

The flat tire, oh yes, I had to factor all of that into my build as well.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...4&postcount=49

I ended up building my coilover mounts for as long of a coilover as I could get away with, and setting it up for more droop travel than up travel so I could get the tire off on the side of the road without unhooking suspension. After some testing, it worked on my application!

Vic1947 09-30-2020 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueJeep (Post 8811328)
...I ended up building my coilover mounts for as long of a coilover as I could get away with, and setting it up for more droop travel than up travel so I could get the tire off on the side of the road without unhooking suspension. After some testing, it worked on my application!

I wish that was a choice for me. The Roadster Shop SPEC chassis came with coilovers and there's not a lot of leeway. I think I'll invest in roadside assistance with the insurance policy and hope for the best.

I've been slowly making progress. The guy that installed my windshield and back glass at HRE came to the house and helped me with the quarter windows. They look really nice. It took me several tries to get the roof and beltline trim installed to my liking. Have to drill holes for the screws that hold the aftermarket clips which is a bit nerve wracking. Tried using the old clips but they were too loose to hold the trim like I wanted.

I got the lower half of the dash back in silver. I have a bunch of parts in base coat, but was unable to clear all of them due to the wind. Felt like a Cat 1 out there today. I did get the dash and associated parts done by staying inside where it was sheltered. Also got the hood assembled and ready to go back on when the time comes.

I got ready to mock up the steering shaft and joints and immediately ran into a problem with the vibration damper that goes on the splined shaft out of the rack. It just barely hits the motor mount so I'll have to remove the mount and put it in the mill to give it some more clearance. Always something.

mongocanfly 09-30-2020 07:23 PM

Looks great Vic..!!