The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

Dan in Pasadena 07-03-2018 07:32 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

3 Attachment(s)
Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Checking in. I've been out of town awhile. Stopped by paint jail today to see the reassembly progress.

The painter does ordinary insurance work since it pays the bills. I understand but it's frustrating. Anyway, the front clip is final assembled and hood installed, though gaps have not been set as the criss-cross bracing has yet to be installed.

After this:
1. Rear fenders will be installed w/welt
2. Install tailgate.
3. THEN he will repair the assorted paint damage.

Out of the paint shop I'll still need to do/get done:
1. Install & connect tail lights.
2. Charge AC,
3. Door panels, cranks & arm rests.
4. Connecting stereo & speakers.
5. Bumpers & rear license mount & light.
6. Longer rear wheel studs & 1/4" spacers

This doesn't even speak to having the upholstery finished, making an under-dash valance for the AC vents and I'm certain many other things I'm not thinking of right now.

If a moderator can rotate these pics I'd appreciate it.

G&R's57GMC 07-03-2018 07:51 PM

OOOOh ! So shiny ! You're getting closer , Yea !

Oh and don't forget ... Bling Bling !

joedoh 07-03-2018 09:11 PM

soooo pretty!

and you know the old saying, "(insert name-of-month-before-project-ends here) is the cruelest month!" :lol:

Kim57 07-04-2018 08:13 AM

Looks really nice.
Kim

lower50's 07-04-2018 06:31 PM

I needed to put my shades on to look at your pics.

Dan in Pasadena 07-04-2018 09:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 8294357)
I needed to put my shades on to look at your pics.

Ha! It's actually a very dark red but shows as "glow-in-the-dark-red" online. It's the darkest red I could find in a stock, non-metallic color that isn't Burgundy. It's Honda Milano Red.

This, though when you Google it many of the examples show as super bright too.

oldman3 07-04-2018 11:25 PM

Dan, looks great...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-05-2018 05:58 PM

Thanks Jim.

I REALLY love the color I chose but I'm not sold on the blingy and a-little-out-of-date Boyds Smoothies. Now that I've found out they have the wrong offset I will eventually be looking for something to replace them with. Maybe gray spoked Torq Thrusts, not sure.

Nut Case 07-06-2018 03:09 AM

Big D

Fandamtastic, so close. I'm so envious I wish I was as far along as you, my shed is moving all be it slower that a snail on his way to his next meal,
My sweet heart had emergency surgery in January for two blocked arteries, then urgent surgery to remove a calcified disk, on May 27. two horse shoe brackets one above and one below with two stabilizing rods torqued to 14 foot lbs on the set screw. All is going well. The shed is on perma-hold. But I gona get her done.

Keep on keepin on

NC

Dan in Pasadena 07-06-2018 11:59 AM

UGH, so sorry to hear about all the health related issues. Fingers crossed - my health holds out long enough to enjoy this truck. I had been wanting one since my 20's, had a false start with a '57 small window about 20 years ago I had to sell because of my divorce.

But now the road SEEMS "clear" to have and enjoy this for as many years as the Lord gives me.

G&R's57GMC 07-16-2018 06:55 PM

Dan how about a 10 day update .... Whaaatttsssuuppp ?

Dan in Pasadena 07-16-2018 08:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well, your timing is impeccable Glen.

I stopped by the paint shop a couple hours ago: Hood has been final fitted, rear fenders were being color sanded for polishing tomorrow and Marcos had re-painted the strip immediately below the doors because there was a very slight difference in color.

I have to get new wiper escutcheons so he can install the cowl delete panel, rear fenders w/welt & tailgate. There is also the damage I did to the interior paint putting the window in (GRRRR!), and tiny chips in the passenger step area and passenger exterior door that need repair. Once this is done he'll install the windshield and rear window.

MODERATOR:
If you can rotate these pics 90* I'd really appreciate it,.

G&R's57GMC 07-17-2018 12:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the update .

Last month my Dart was getting color sanded and polished and the pin stripping put on . I brought it home just to park it this month. It goes back for paint on the under side of the hood next month.

joedoh 07-17-2018 12:04 PM

its very hard for me to imagine your truck as non metallic, because in the pictures it looks metallic! I like solid non metallic reds too, I had a cinnabar red 535is for 12 years, think of a cinnamon heart red.

truck looks outstanding! invest in some bubble wrap for daily driving haha

Dan in Pasadena 07-17-2018 07:12 PM

Glen, She's looking good. Somewhere online I saw a picture of a REALLY nicely detailed slant six - is that what's under the hood? I should have kept the picture. I was truly impressed with how great it looked.

Joe, Yeah, it's truly non-metallic. It's the same red you see on Hondas all the time. It's their very dark red. No poop on the bubble wrap comment. I took this build WAAY too far. My bank account is shrieking in protest.

I picked up wiper escutcheons, gaskets & squirters today along w/chrome tail light brackets, wire harness covers & poly tailgate trunions from The Car and Truck Shop. Dropped off the wiper stuff and the rear fenders were being masked to have undercoat sprayed on them. (I thought it had already been done) Marcos wanted to do it before final polish and mounting. I'm going back tomorrow to keep the pressure on and to take pictures.

oldman3 07-17-2018 11:29 PM

Dan, keep on 'em. Can't wait to see it all together...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-19-2018 03:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thursday, July 19, 2018

My beloved granddaughter Isla’s 4th birthday. What REALLY matters in life.

One fender installed with welt. I think the match is pretty good. Happy with it even though it came from a Ford parts provider, Bob Drake lol.

I think 1/4” spacers aren’t quite enough. Will probably need 1/2”.

I won’t be posting after next week for awhile but I’ll be back early in August.

oldman3 07-19-2018 07:27 PM

Dan, fender and welting look good, enjoy the family...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-19-2018 08:33 PM

Thanks Jim.

I really wasn't certain about using welt at all and then concerned that if I did the color would be a little "off" - which to me is worse than just using another color all together like black. happy so far. Wish the pics would load with the right orientation. Oh well.

Kim57 07-20-2018 07:45 AM

Cute granddaughter.
Welt looks good.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 07-20-2018 08:20 PM

Has anyone else used welt between their rear fender and their side step?

I ask because I stopped by the shop today and that's what the painter told me he was doing. I asked why and he said to protect the paint at the joint from rubbing each other and creating a place for future rust. I said as long as he aligns the welt so it look good I was ok with it.

Anyone else?

oldman3 07-20-2018 11:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dan I run the welt on both my front and rear fenders on my 50. I just went to the garage and took pics of the rear fenders. Front is apart for paint...Jim

Dan in Pasadena 07-21-2018 12:54 AM

Thanks Jim. Yours looks great too. Did you have it custom made to match?

What I meant was not only between the bedside & fender, but welt in the joint between the bottom of the fender and the side step. That's where he's putting some welt on mine. If he does it right I think it'll kinda look cool. If not? It'll just be weird and I'll remove it.

oldman3 07-21-2018 09:04 AM

Thanks Dan, I bought mine from a vendor at one of the NSRA events, he had alot of different colors. I don't have welt between the fender and board, but I do have rubber I cut to keep them from rubbing together...Jim

G&R's57GMC 07-23-2018 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday Isla !

Looking Good .
Let's see if this worked, I cropped and rotated the rear fender pic for you.