The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Chucks SWB Fleetside (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=374892)

thelonerife 06-01-2018 09:25 PM

Re: Chucks SWB Fleetside

1 Attachment(s)
Well I got the radiator today. I wasn't too pleased with the packaging but I think it will be alright. There was some styrofoam broken and the box was taped up even though there were staples in it. The staples weren't holding it shut at all so someone taped it. Kinda looks like its a returned item so they just shipped it out again. Some of the fins have been touched also. We'll see.

nds1968 06-03-2018 02:01 PM

Yeah I'd call and asked for a discount but that's me...

Do you plan on painting it? I was planning on painting an aluminum radiator for my truck but I kinda like the way this one looks.

thelonerife 06-08-2018 10:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
side by side comp

thelonerife 06-08-2018 10:20 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I think when they (cold case) says direct replacement, they mean a 3 core radiator. My 4 core brackets are kinda big for their radiator. but I can live with it if it works. And I had a helper.

thelonerife 06-08-2018 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nds1968 (Post 8274086)
Yeah I'd call and asked for a discount but that's me...

Do you plan on painting it? I was planning on painting an aluminum radiator for my truck but I kinda like the way this one looks.

Yes. I painted the front of it. I didn't want to see and silver/aluminum from the front of the truck even though it would be just the sides showing on either side of the A/C stuff. I know what you mean by asking for a discount but I figured I would see if it works okay first. I'm not being picky on it because it has a lifetime warranty so I feel thats a good thing if I were to have a real problem they'd take care of it.

thelonerife 06-22-2018 12:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So I got the new radiator in and filled with coolant. I ran the motor with the a/c on and it cooled well. I didn't road test it as it was raining and Choncho don't like no rain. It's more that I don't like to clean it after the rain.lol But I'll do that soon enough.

thelonerife 06-22-2018 12:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh did I mention I love my truck Well I do...lol

thelonerife 07-17-2018 12:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I have bought some 8'' wheels and tires and thought I would try and see if they felt different than the 20's. I think I need to have my driveshaft balanced as I have a lot of bouncing action going on. Same as with the 20's..

knomadd 07-18-2018 06:02 PM

Hey Chuck, you haven't asked for opinions or help, but I figured I'd toss this out there in case you hadn't thought of it. Ignore this if you don't think it applies.

I don't know the symptoms, so I can't really tell what's going on, but if it feels like it could be the wheels and tires (the reason you went with a smaller wheel than the 20s), you might look at your shocks, ball joints, wheel bearings, control arm bushings, etc. Basically check out the soft and wear parts of your suspension. They can amplify any minor vibrations from small road imperfections, which make a low profile tire ride like garbage. Sometimes just adding grease to the greasable parts like ball joints will improve the ride a bit.

Definitely check out your drive shaft if you feel like it needs some attention.

thelonerife 07-19-2018 01:32 AM

Thanks Duane, I know I have flat spots on my 20's so I wanted to try some other wheels/tires to see how it felt. The front got better so I attribute the front shakes to the flat spotted tires. The rear got a little better but not a lot. I moves up and down and a little up to the right shake like something is out of balance. If that makes any sense. And I still think my driveshaft needs to be shortened about an inch. Its all the way in there almost.

thelonerife 07-24-2018 01:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Trying some safari van caps. I think I like them.

cornerstone 07-24-2018 08:33 PM

Looks fantastic man. How about some black enamel on that bright wheel weight?

knomadd 07-25-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8308106)

Or some trim rings to add a bit more pop and cover them pesky weights.

thelonerife 07-26-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 8308106)

Yeah I have to do something about those. There are some spots that need touching up so I may just do a light sand and spray on them.

thelonerife 07-26-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 8308611)
Or some trim rings to add a bit more pop and cover them pesky weights.

If I do I'll get some off of an Astro van. I had those on some rallies before and I like them. They're not real deep.

thelonerife 07-26-2018 05:14 PM

I got my new driveshaft in. The old one had tubes that were bent a little and I just had Dave do the whole thing new. The only parts that were savable were my yoke and carrier bearing. I had him go ahead and put new u joints in too although mine didn't have many miles on them. He uses Spicer brand. Mine were Taiwan I think. He also shortened the new one for me too. The vibration is a lot better now.

But as you know, whenever you get something fixed something else will pop up. Or off. While I was shutting my drivers door to go test drive it my sport mirror head popped out of the mirror arm and hit the ground and broke. Tiawan strikes again. Old truck, new problems.. I think I'll try to find a NOS one this time.

thelonerife 07-29-2018 08:53 PM

I've got a NOS mirror replacement coming from Down South Truckin (Mike)

thelonerife 08-16-2018 02:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got the NOS mirror on and the door panel all back together. I know you've never seen a mirror before so here ya go . lol

MDPotter 09-28-2018 05:05 PM

Awesome truck Chuck, you did a great job. I bought a 68 GMC LWB fleetside a couple weeks ago and it's mostly original and it's the same blue. I've scrolled through all 108 pages of your build - I'm just finishing up a 64 Chevy C10 with my dad so I remember all the stages and the struggles and wins with these projects.

I don't have the time or money to do a restomod, so I'll probably just repair the rust, give it a decent paint job, and make a few upgrades over time and drive it for awhile since it's only got 34,000 miles on it and runs great. Besides, I don't know if I can take not being able to drive it for years!

P.S. - my uncle restores and customizes VW's (mostly pre-1967) here in Grand Junction. I've seen a lot of VW's come out of his shop with the same wheels you have on your bug.

mcbassin 10-04-2018 07:37 AM

Nice wheels Chuck! How do you like the new radiator? Looks like a very nice piece.

thelonerife 02-12-2019 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8353313)
Awesome truck Chuck, you did a great job. I bought a 68 GMC LWB fleetside a couple weeks ago and it's mostly original and it's the same blue. I've scrolled through all 108 pages of your build - I'm just finishing up a 64 Chevy C10 with my dad so I remember all the stages and the struggles and wins with these projects.

I don't have the time or money to do a restomod, so I'll probably just repair the rust, give it a decent paint job, and make a few upgrades over time and drive it for awhile since it's only got 34,000 miles on it and runs great. Besides, I don't know if I can take not being able to drive it for years!

P.S. - my uncle restores and customizes VW's (mostly pre-1967) here in Grand Junction. I've seen a lot of VW's come out of his shop with the same wheels you have on your bug.

Sorry its been a while since I've been on here. Thanks! Yeah the wheels on my bug are Empi's.

thelonerife 02-12-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 8356898)
Nice wheels Chuck! How do you like the new radiator? Looks like a very nice piece.

Thanks Mike. The new radiator works great! One of the best things on the truck. Its expensive but the lifetime warranty is good tho.

nds1968 02-24-2019 09:02 PM

Looking good as always. Here is a thread of mine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=301160 I have these trim rings I may run. I still can't decide on wheel color. They are currently white but thinking about black or the interior blue color which is a darker poly blue than the exterior baby blue.

thelonerife 04-09-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nds1968 (Post 8473759)
Looking good as always. Here is a thread of mine http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=301160 I have these trim rings I may run. I still can't decide on wheel color. They are currently white but thinking about black or the interior blue color which is a darker poly blue than the exterior baby blue.

Thanks. I like the black ones.

Chuck Pryce 04-19-2019 10:18 AM

Here is another Chuck that loves your truck.