The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 C20 "Old Mustard" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545356)

gdavis 05-22-2013 06:42 PM

Re: 72 C20 "Old Mustard"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6083831)
I haven't done anything worth posting on here, either. I commented on your wing windows, though.

I was starting to wonder about the bed rail. Not that I need it yet, but was figuring maybe it got lost somewhere in transit, so it's good to know that you haven't sent it yet.

I've been getting what I calculate out to be 12-13 mpg with the 87 4x4 pulling a good sized horse trailer:metal:. Hard to believe, actually, but that's been on two different diesel fillups. I knew the 6.2 diesel was supposed to be pretty good on fuel mileage, but I didn't figure I could pull 7000# worth of horse and trailer and still get as good of fuel mileage as I did with Mustard empty pulling nothing. Might have to reconsider the whole 350 thing...except that the diesel is pretty dang sluggish, really.

I found a good and strong box for the sill. I will ship Friday or Monday I will give you a PM when I do ship and give you the tracking number. George

Mustard72 05-24-2013 08:18 PM

Sounds good, George. Thanks.

Actually cleaned the shop area around Mustard today. I'm hoping to run a little bit of the brake lines this weekend and maybe get some other stuff done, too. We'll see how it goes. 3 day weekend, I should be able to get something done on Mustard.

Mustard72 05-25-2013 10:59 PM

PROGRESS!!!

I ran some brake lines today and painted the front calipers red. Almost done with the 3/16 lines for the front that run from the flex lines to the tee. These are both supposed to be 3/16", right? When I did the old steel lines 15 years ago, I used 3/16 on both sides, but had to use a 3/16 to 1/4 adapter on the drivers side flex line (which had the 1/4" female end). Is that supposed to be 1/4" all the way from the tee? I thought both fronts were supposed to be 3/16 and the longer line running to the back was supposed to be 1/4", but maybe I'm wrong.

No pics of the brake lines I've run yet. I'll probably take a few once its more complete. Heck, I might even redo the drivers side one in 1/4" if that's what is supposed to be there. Suppose I could do a search or something. I used the bender I already had rather than buying the Eastwood one, as funds are really tight right now after putting tires on the other truck and the trailer and a few other bigger expenses lately. Fortunately, I've got a stack of parts I've already paid for, plus a complete engine and tranny ready to go in that won't cost me much of anything.

mjensen 05-28-2013 08:54 PM

Great to read about progress being made!

gdavis 05-28-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6090451)
PROGRESS!!!

I ran some brake lines today and painted the front calipers red. Almost done with the 3/16 lines for the front that run from the flex lines to the tee. These are both supposed to be 3/16", right? When I did the old steel lines 15 years ago, I used 3/16 on both sides, but had to use a 3/16 to 1/4 adapter on the drivers side flex line (which had the 1/4" female end). Is that supposed to be 1/4" all the way from the tee? I thought both fronts were supposed to be 3/16 and the longer line running to the back was supposed to be 1/4", but maybe I'm wrong.

No pics of the brake lines I've run yet. I'll probably take a few once its more complete. Heck, I might even redo the drivers side one in 1/4" if that's what is supposed to be there. Suppose I could do a search or something. I used the bender I already had rather than buying the Eastwood one, as funds are really tight right now after putting tires on the other truck and the trailer and a few other bigger expenses lately. Fortunately, I've got a stack of parts I've already paid for, plus a complete engine and tranny ready to go in that won't cost me much of anything.

I made a mistake on mine. I ran 3/16 to the rear so I will have to take them off and use 1/4 from the booster to the rear. It didn't cost me too much for this mistake. I could leave it 3/16 but I think I will do the 1/4. Oh by the way do you have a extra 350 power steering bracket laying around getting in your way. I need one and a 350 power steering pump.

Mustard72 05-29-2013 12:30 PM

I'm pretty certain I don't have an extra bracket. I'll look and see if I have another pump, though. It would be for a Buick, but it might be the same. Of course, I also might have sold it with the rest of the Buick stuff a few years back...

gdavis 05-29-2013 07:28 PM

I found A bracket on the parts board. I still need the pump though. Any help would be great.

gdavis 05-31-2013 09:48 PM

Hey Rick can you take a picture of the gas pedal installed on your truck. I need to see if the large bracket on the inside of the cab can be removed. If not what attached to the bracket. I am installing the 72 gas pedal and cable on my 68. I don't like the idea of cutting holes into my carpet. That is the way the 67/68 gas pedal comes from the factory. I have all the brackets except for the platic piece that sandwich between the large bracket. any help could be a help. did you get the sill yet. Gdavis

gdavis 06-01-2013 07:39 PM

Hey Rick got my grill in today and boy let me tell you it is a good find.

Mustard72 06-01-2013 11:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
No sill yet, George. I did manage to take a couple pictures of the throttle linkage inside the cab, though. Hope they help. Subtle angle difference between the two....okay, probably should have just attached one, but here you go.

Man, I gotta clean up some of that wiring. Pretty ugly...

Mustard72 06-01-2013 11:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Managed to get the brake lines and fuel lines run for the front half of the chassis. Very ugly job, but hey, it goes under the engine. I keep telling myself that. Truth is, I bent up a bunch of sticks of tubing and ended up having to pick out the best ones:mm: Fuel line went easier. That run across the cross member kicked my tail.

But hey, what is that? The tranny making its presence between the frame rails? Sure it's not installed yet, but heck it's out of the woodshop and back between the frame rails. Looks good sitting there. It'll look better installed. In the next few days, I'll hopefully get it installed along with the engine.

gdavis 06-02-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustard72 (Post 6102644)
No sill yet, George. I did manage to take a couple pictures of the throttle linkage inside the cab, though. Hope they help. Subtle angle difference between the two....okay, probably should have just attached one, but here you go.

Man, I gotta clean up some of that wiring. Pretty ugly...

The way it looks there is nothing that attaches to that big bracket. So I am going to cut it down a little. Would you happen to have another platic piece that fits to the firewall on the gas pedal assembly. I am missing that piece. thanks Gdavis just call me George

Mustard72 06-02-2013 10:50 PM

Nope. That's the only one I have.
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 06-03-2013 07:35 PM

The guy I bought the gas pedal from found the platic piece under the carpet when he pulled it out and sent it to me. What a guy. So keep in the right lane with your build. george

gdavis 06-04-2013 07:36 PM

Hey Rick I ordered my rear gas tank Monday. I will be glad when It get here. I will run my gas lines to the tank then. I will be removing the bed to install the tank. I will also have to remove the left fender to dimple my frame. I forgot all about it untill Brian brought it uo to my attention. George

gdavis 06-05-2013 10:33 PM

Hey Rick I got my headers installed on the drivers side. Tomorrow I will do the pass side. It's looking more like a engine every day.

The72Chevy 06-06-2013 12:29 AM

Oh man brought back memories! It's all worth it at the end!
Posted via Mobile Device

sduckworth13 06-06-2013 05:58 AM

Nick, everything looks real good. Your making some nice progress on the truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

gdavis 06-06-2013 11:06 AM

I really like that transmission dolly. It works and nothing invested in it. Been trying to stay dry. We are having our first storm ofthe year. Nothing to worry ourselves over just a lot of rain.

Low Elco 06-06-2013 01:12 PM

Lookin' like progress! Keep on truckin'!

Mustard72 06-06-2013 01:48 PM

Thanks, guys. I'm hoping to have some more progress here throughout the weekend. We'll see. It's a pretty full weekend already from the looks of it.

Yeah, that tranny dolley comes in handy every once in a while. I welded the legless chair to the old lawn mower deck for the kids to ride down the little hill in the back yard with. They painted it red, white, and blue. It makes a better tranny dolley, though...

I'm still trying to find a time to go get my engine from the engine builders shop. It keeps raining here, though, too, and I don't have a topper on the 87. He's offered to deliver it, maybe I'll take him up on the offer.

Got the floor sill, George. I haven't taken it out of the box yet, even, but it's here. Thanks a ton! Stay dry.

gdavis 06-07-2013 04:33 PM

I am glad the sill came in.

gdavis 06-08-2013 06:38 PM

still waiting for the rear gas tank to come in. Snail mail is just that.

gdavis 06-09-2013 08:08 PM

I am going to raise my bed 4 1/2 inches. I seen it in this months issue of Classic Trucks. It looks real simple the way they did it. I have wanted to do this from the get go. God Blesss and be good.

Mustard72 06-13-2013 11:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Golly, I'm falling behind on my posting. The kids and I got the engine back from the engine builders shop last Friday and got her installed on the frame. Quite a milestone. Plus, it covers up the crappy brake tubing job I did.:lol:

I haven't done anything on Mustard since then. I'm hoping to be able to get the front brakes and steering linkage on there this weekend so I can roll it around easier. It'd be nice to get the rolling frame (at least "half roller"???) out of the garage so I could work on the daily drivers and the other truck in there instead of out in the driveway.