The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1971 Stepside LS Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768975)

KMC3420 11-11-2019 05:11 PM

Re: 1971 Stepside LS Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8625272)
She burns really rich right now and the furnace pulls the smell directly into the house and then I'm being yelled at :) Smells good to me...HA! It gets the kids off the video games because the open headers scares the crap out of em.

hahahha. Nice! Getting yelled at is worth the scares for sure!

bmxbang 11-11-2019 08:38 PM

Bed looks fantastic on it! Thats a huge milestone :metal:

AJohn6 11-14-2019 11:43 AM

Truck looks amazing. I wished I hadn't started my "quick project" and continued to work on my '71 stepper instead. Hopefully within the month, depending on work, I'll be able to get my project done and driving so I can get back to work on the '71 Stepper.

Also, I'm AD USAF and have almost 17 years in, thanks for your service.

Adam

1971Stepside 12-31-2019 11:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Took a little break from the truck to get through the holidays and all the bills. Some of my orders are starting to come in. Looking forward to getting back on it.

TA_C10 01-01-2020 12:49 PM

Sweet. Big brakes and a kick azz wheel gonna look good man :thumbs:

1971Stepside 01-02-2020 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I had this rear end set up about 12 years ago when I initially started the frame redo. The seals were seeping so instead of putting the whole truck on a trailer and taking it to the shop I just pulled it. I am pretty confident in my mechanical abilities, but when it comes to transmissions and gears I just want peace of mind. Seen a few C Clips come off from guys that tried it at home. Should have it back today and then the rear disc can go on.

Will have a nice set of rear drums (all new) and front calipers for sale.

1971Stepside 01-06-2020 10:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Made some progress over the weekend. Once the new seals were in the rear end I was able to install the disc brakes.

This was the kit from Little Shop MFG. Nice kit and installs super easy. I opted for the Wilwood calipers which eliminates the emergency brake, but I wasn't planning to have an e-brake anyway.

MDPotter 01-06-2020 10:19 AM

Looks pretty slick!

1971Stepside 01-06-2020 10:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I picked up a tilt column from Randy500 on the forum. He did excellent work on refurbishing this column. Sat the steering wheel on to see how it would look and how much room I had between the seat and wheel. Very happy with how it is going to work. I installed the Lokar linkage (finger tight) and it fits to the transmission easily. The power steering lines to the hydro were in the way of the linkage, so back to the drawing board on those.

1971Stepside 01-06-2020 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing I did notice, that I guess I hadn't before, is after getting the rear end centered up it appears my driveshaft will be running at an angle or really close to the passenger side. I'm actually having my driveshaft built this week, but stuck a jack handle in the there to see it. Is this normal?

67C10Step 01-06-2020 10:44 AM

Looking fantastic. You would post up about new brakes and drums right after I just purchased and installed all new on my truck! I'd have taken that stuff off your hands for sure.

Funny thing, I just got my driveshaft back in over the weekend and thought it looked like it was running a bit crooked but I marked it up to not having the rear end centered after reinstall. I don't have my bed back together to slip on to look at final ride height.

Overall, I think your project is fantastic and I am coveting your progress and quality of work.

MDPotter 01-06-2020 10:54 AM

I think the pinion yoke isn't centered on the axle, I noticed the same thing on mine.

1971Stepside 01-06-2020 11:50 AM

Quote:

Also, I'm AD USAF and have almost 17 years in, thanks for your service.
I did 7.5 years. Wish I had stayed.

Quote:

Looks pretty slick!
Thanks. I'm enjoying mechanical work over sanding!

Quote:

Looking fantastic. You would post up about new brakes and drums right after I just purchased and installed all new on my truck! I'd have taken that stuff off your hands for sure.
Dang! I hate I didn't post earlier. I hope someone puts them to good use. I will post them FS once I have the front calipers swapped out.

Quote:

I think the pinion yoke isn't centered on the axle, I noticed the same thing on mine.
I did some reading and this appears to be a normal set up. We shall see.

KMC3420 01-06-2020 09:19 PM

Looking awesome. I went with the little shop rear disc kit also. I didn’t opt for the wilwoods, but your setup makes me think I should have, future upgrade. Keep fighting the good fight. Your getting closer.

1971Stepside 01-08-2020 04:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the driveshaft today. Driveline Specialties here in Springfield built it for under $300 with a new yolk. I slipped it in at lunch to check fit before it gets painted. The offset of the rear end doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought. Feels good to finally have the drivetrain connected front to back.

derotoreut 01-08-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8655387)
I picked up a tilt column from Randy500 on the forum. He did excellent work on refurbishing this column. Sat the steering wheel on to see how it would look and how much room I had between the seat and wheel. Very happy with how it is going to work. I installed the Lokar linkage (finger tight) and it fits to the transmission easily. The power steering lines to the hydro were in the way of the linkage, so back to the drawing board on those.

Would you mind getting another picture or two of your Lokar linkage for me? I was planning to use the Lokar ACA-1800, which I'm assuming you used, but it looks almost impossible for me with limited clearance. I'm also using the Speed Engineering headers, but mine are the 25-1021 mids/shorts (https://www.speed-engineering.com/fe...c10-truck.html). I don't have my Ididit steering column installed yet, but it just doesn't look like the Lokar hard shift kit will clear. I may have to go with the cable shifter, ACA-1804. I'd rather not if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated.

MDPotter 01-08-2020 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derotoreut (Post 8656629)
Would you mind getting another picture or two of your Lokar linkage for me? I was planning to use the Lokar ACA-1800, which I'm assuming you used, but it looks almost impossible for me with limited clearance. I'm also using the Speed Engineering headers, but mine are the 25-1021 mids/shorts (https://www.speed-engineering.com/fe...c10-truck.html). I don't have my Ididit steering column installed yet, but it just doesn't look like the Lokar hard shift kit will clear. I may have to go with the cable shifter, ACA-1804. I'd rather not if I don't have to. Any help is appreciated.

For what it's worth, I was concerned about having room for the rod linkage on mine and it fit fine. I have the same headers as you and I also have fuel line and bunch of wires in that area. I just put one bend in the rod and didn't remove any length and it works great. Once you have the bend where you want it, it moves in a very linear direction so it just needs a pretty small path.

1971Stepside 01-08-2020 05:12 PM

Quote:

Would you mind getting another picture or two of your Lokar linkage for me? I was planning to use the Lokar ACA-1800, which I'm assuming you used, but it looks almost impossible for me with limited clearance.
I will take a few more pics for you. I am using the ACA-1800. Mine only came with one set screw on the transmission end fitting and the directions show two, so I hope that little fella holds.

derotoreut 01-08-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDPotter (Post 8656637)
For what it's worth, I was concerned about having room for the rod linkage on mine and it fit fine. I have the same headers as you and I also have fuel line and bunch of wires in that area. I just put one bend in the rod and didn't remove any length and it works great. Once you have the bend where you want it, it moves in a very linear direction so it just needs a pretty small path.

Thanks for the info. I will check out to see if you have pictures in your build thread.

1971Stepside 01-09-2020 10:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple shots of the linkage. Hope these help. Everything is just finger tight and still needs to be fine tuned.

1971Stepside 01-09-2020 10:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
A couple more boxes arrived last night so I couldn't help mocking them up. The master cylinder and prop valve are really nice. Of course all my hydro hoses are in the process of being re-routed due to the shift linkage and column. Hope to get those sorted out next week. I also put the Wilwood calipers on the front.

derotoreut 01-09-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971Stepside (Post 8656968)
Here are a couple shots of the linkage. Hope these help. Everything is just finger tight and still needs to be fine tuned.

Thank you so much. Greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work.

1971Stepside 01-16-2020 01:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted up the hydro unit and started re-routing the hoses. I also turned my AC compressor so the fittings will be on the side rather than the top. Next up is trying to figure out how to run the ac/heater hoses into the cab to the vintage air box. I have an old VA unit that is brand new so it didn't come with the hose kit.

KMC3420 01-16-2020 02:10 PM

Looking very clean/compact on that firewall. Thanks for posting!

68Gold/white 01-17-2020 11:17 AM

You've got to be getting very close to "drive" time on this build???