The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=200082)

BP68 03-19-2007 08:13 PM

Re: Project Lemon Drop: anything but stock!

[QUOTE=Rokcrln;2080707]The lines pass thru a bulk head fitting and they seal then selves.

Will the shaved cowl keep out all air and water? Are you going to seal off the stock kick panel vent hole or just leave it?

Also, how do you plan to route the a/c and heater hoses from the bulk head into the engine bay? are they gonna pass along the inside of the fender above the inner fender, and then may turn back and go up to the compressor.

Really, really nice build

jugernot 03-19-2007 10:54 PM

It should keep all the water and air out. We are using the kick panel vents for other thing and will not seal them off.

Your description of the AC and heater hoses routing is spot on.

Rokcrln 03-25-2007 10:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I had some time in the booth today getting the first bit of color sprayed. I just shot the bottom to try everything out and double check the color. I think it turned out good and I must say I have never had a cab bottom this nice before:(
Next we will shoot all the misc parts (brackets, inner front fender wells, rad support ect.) then move on to the rest of the exterior. I hope to get it all up to the booth this week and get started next weekend.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Pl4yboy 03-25-2007 10:18 PM

Looks great. Good work, as always.

72CSTC5 03-25-2007 10:58 PM

Looks good, what product brand are you spraying Rok?

Rokcrln 03-25-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5 (Post 2093216)
Looks good, what product brand are you spraying Rok?

Dupont Hot Hues base and another DP??? clear that was recomended for us.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 03-25-2007 11:19 PM

Are you shooting a glamour clear from Dupont

Rokcrln 03-25-2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5 (Post 2093267)
Are you shooting a glamour clear from Dupont

Oop's I was way off we ended up going with Deltron DCD35. Shows what I know about paint:lol:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

franky69c10 03-25-2007 11:59 PM

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...zm/THUMBUP.gif

gferris5 03-26-2007 12:17 AM

Kevin-
I've lost track. Are you using your home-made spray booth for this? (probably not if you've spent 2k on the wet stuff). If so, how's it working? If not, I understand.

Rollie396 03-26-2007 02:10 AM

looks greatWhich of the two pics shows the color best?

Rokcrln 03-26-2007 07:07 AM

No I went with a rent a booth in Sacramento.
The best color will be once it is out in the sun in a week or two. With the booth lights and a flash it does not show real well. But the stir stick in the sun light will blind you:cool:

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Bob Moore 03-26-2007 02:59 PM

No wonder you get so much done. I would be sleeping at 3:07AM.

Great job and THANKS for all your posting - Bob

dan468 03-27-2007 12:04 AM

So many posts I couldn't find my answer I hope it hasn't been on here already. With a shaved cowl and the loss of 4-5 screws, how well will the new cowl hold on the truck?

72CSTC5 03-27-2007 12:12 AM

Deltron is PPG clear. I haven't heard of that brand label yet but the shop I am at now shoots BASF. Looks like Glasurit for me now.;)

Rokcrln 03-27-2007 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan468 (Post 2095146)
So many posts I couldn't find my answer I hope it hasn't been on here already. With a shaved cowl and the loss of 4-5 screws, how well will the new cowl hold on the truck?

It will hold fine if when you are shaping it you add a bit of tention to the curve so it does not want to flap. Also I added more screws to the front lip.

Kevin
LFD inc.

Rokcrln 03-27-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5 (Post 2095158)
Deltron is PPG clear. I haven't heard of that brand label yet but the shop I am at now shoots BASF. Looks like Glasurit for me now.;)

Yes PPG and it is suposed to be one of their better clears at about $450gal with activator and reducer:(

Then I just got off line with Auto Body Store for about a grand of added parts.
Sata Mini jet4 for some of the tighter areas ( I shoot a Sata 3000RP 1.4 for my main gun)
Sharp 606B filter/regulator
High flow hose and fittings for my dedicated paint hose line.
Plus alot of misc. parts and pieces.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 03-27-2007 01:00 AM

Lots of high dollar equipment there. Be careful with the high solids clears if you get heavy on the edges it is not very forgiving, it will solvent pop on you and will not come out. Just do not know when was the last time you shot some of the new high solids clears but you probably know that already I am sure.

Rokcrln 03-27-2007 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72CSTC5 (Post 2095231)
Lots of high dollar equipment there. Be careful with the high solids clears if you get heavy on the edges it is not very forgiving, it will solvent pop on you and will not come out. Just do not know when was the last time you shot some of the new high solids clears but you probably know that already I am sure.

It has been awhile but that is one of the reasons for the mini is to help in the tight places. What recomendations do you have to avoid this? Just the regular light cotes or ? Fell free to PM with anything if you would rather.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 03-27-2007 09:33 AM

The only tip I can offer is to go medium wet coats and not full wet coats and also a tip a painter once gave me that helps is to not finish your "pass" where two panels meet, instead if you can finish in between panels or go all the way to the cab corner for instance from the fender if you can.

Rokcrln 03-28-2007 09:46 PM

4 Attachment(s)
72CSTC5~ thanks for the info, We are on the same page. Yes panel joints I like to give a quick wrist flip for a very soft dusting as you pull away.

Ok you guys wanted to see the real color so I had a fender that was headed for the dumpster and I brought it in the booth with me. This fender was a pull off that was not even scuffed down before laying on some paint so I could test out the new clear for color sanding. It is a hard color to get a good pic of but here are a few. Please remember this is with ZERO body work just some paint, clear, sand paper and hand buff.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

72CSTC5 03-28-2007 11:19 PM

She's bright alright!!

RACINJASON22 03-28-2007 11:23 PM

Very nice I'm partial to yellow though. If ya don't mine me asking why is that fender going to the dumpster. It doesn't look too bad at all. RJ22

Rokcrln 03-28-2007 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RACINJASON22 (Post 2098517)
Very nice I'm partial to yellow though. If ya don't mine me asking why is that fender going to the dumpster. It doesn't look too bad at all. RJ22

It has had a door slambed open into it and the rear section is toast. Plus the cowl bracket is needed for another fender and the front parking light opening is needed for another project. Notice teh front light was started to have been cut out prior to paint.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

sighlurr 03-29-2007 12:16 AM

I could probably use that side marker section to turn a 67 bedside into a 68. Front markers are the same size as the rear, right?