The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   41DegreesSouth Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=217490)

Billhilly 07-02-2015 11:50 PM

Re: 41DegreesSouth Build Thread

2 Attachment(s)
Spy shots....

ryanroo 07-03-2015 07:59 AM

very nice!

1985-GMC 07-03-2015 10:02 AM

Awesome! Can't wait to see it in the sun

mjensen 07-03-2015 10:07 AM

The truck is coming along nicely! I bet you're getting excited.

Billhilly 07-03-2015 08:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7229422)
very nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 7229503)
Awesome! Can't wait to see it in the sun

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 7229509)
The truck is coming along nicely! I bet you're getting excited.

! Thank you gentlemen. Another (expensive, time consuming) piece of the puzzle done for sure! Wow there is sure some hours tied up making sure everything is finished before blasting, etch prime, bog, prime, sand/seal, then paint! White (pillars and roof) will go on Tuesday.
Have to redo inside of bedsides (!) then (as stated earlier) inner guards, rad support in black and then sort the grill. Getting closer. Daughter is home from university in Switzerland for two months so I am keen to work with her and get as much reassembly done on the cab as possible while she is here.
A few pictures (no sun) that really don't show the colour that well...

Billhilly 07-03-2015 08:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had bought a set of blue hub dials from a board member but they ended up being cracked (as mine were) so I got a pair of Ferd ones offa Ebay. Couldn't decide whether to leave them red (with the Ferd lettering) to annoy the purist's or paint them blue. I read someone talking about swapping over the lettering and found that yes, the lettering does prise out. There is a plastic paint that is a very close colour match but down here in paradise it was ridiculous $$ so decided on the below compromise! Now all I need to do is swap over the lettering without wreaking the paint....

Billhilly 07-07-2015 03:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Spraying white in single digit temps? No worries bro! Not meant to get back into double figures for another five days so today was the day. Looks to have
come out pretty good. Was thinking how a solid colour would have been fine as I spent the morning prepping everything, but I'm really happy with the look. That is actually all the truck done except for inner guards, rad support! Well, if you don't count that I've got to redo the inside of the bedsides.......
You mean I can actually start putting things back together. And not take them apart again!

Billhilly 07-07-2015 05:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just finished unwrapping it.

bilfman 07-08-2015 12:16 AM

Looks deadly. Can't wait to see it altogether .

Billhilly 07-08-2015 01:31 AM

Thanks Bilfman! That's a pretty sharp '79 you've got there too! Feels a bit like Regina in the winter time down here today. And a high of 4 tomorrow with Southerlies and rain. Go us!

swamp rat 07-08-2015 06:05 AM

Still following along, looks great!

Palf70Step 07-08-2015 06:45 AM

Nice looking cab!

1985-GMC 07-08-2015 04:52 PM

Wow nice, that looks so good!

ryanroo 07-08-2015 11:33 PM

extra cool. looks so sweet dressed up with the white top.

Billhilly 07-11-2015 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm really happy I put the time into getting the white on the cab. Hanging out to get the cab and bed onto the chassis to really see what it looks like!
Been putting alot of time this week into sorting out some orders from the US. The whole other hemisphere thing costs mucho time/money. I did have an incentive to finally get this stuff ordered. A friend has just stolen a truck out from under your noses.... He found this truck on Craigslist, guy in Vegas had it. Original paint, very straight, most of the trim still there. Being loaded into a container in LA on Tuesday, full of freight for me! Well, not quite full! The truck has a 454 in it, but is otherwise stock. I had some upper rear trim offa my truck in pretty good nick that I've given him. It should be here in a month. That makes three trucks in the valley now....
I've bought a Tom Woods front driveshaft, some stuff from Summit, and some battery cable/wiring bits for my truck.....

Oh, can you spy the lake pipes!!

Billhilly 07-25-2015 02:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A little more progress. Have been working on a whole lot of things, more recently got the vent windows completely dismantled. Will sand blast then powder coat (?) then get on to reassembly. Managed to hide two liters of cavity wax in, and around the cab. Spent a chunk of today with my eldest daughter putting down sound deadening. Fun times!
A couple of shots of the cab outside in the sun (finally!), and some of today's sound deadening job...

mjensen 07-25-2015 01:00 PM

That is looking so nice!!! Great job so far!

ssuth9 07-25-2015 03:41 PM

Wow.. Looks Great..

Billhilly 07-27-2015 04:00 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 7253328)
That is looking so nice!!! Great job so far!

Thanks Mike. Finally got caught up on your build thread. Looking good! And jealous of your splitter. I see we have similar tastes in wiring looms, and air con units as well. I hope to install my aircon unit tomorrow. The challenge is going to be getting the rubber firewall grommet fitted. The four pipes don't line up with the holes at all! When it turned up here, the copper pipes had punched a hole through the heavy cardboard box. I actually pressure checked both circuits, I sure don't want to take it out for a while! Fortunately no leaks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssuth9 (Post 7253466)
Wow.. Looks Great..

Thanks ssuth. How are you getting on with your chassis?

So we have pretty much got the sound deadening beat. Well, doors still to go, but we have one layer over pretty much the whole cab. Quite a few hours work! We figure one of you guys should make patterns for cutting this stuff. Would save alot of time for you stock, left hand drive guys! Have done all this with just one roll. Should probably do a second layer on some areas.....can't see it happening!

cmabolt 07-27-2015 04:47 PM

Looks great! Won't be long now and she'll be driven down the road.
Chris

1985-GMC 07-27-2015 07:42 PM

Man that's purty, nice job!

notchbackgta 07-29-2015 01:35 PM

That is vibration damper, and doesn't need 100% coverage. You need an actual sound deadening layer to block outside sound transmission into the cab. I have the Fatmat too, I did about 50% coverage, which was a bit overkill, then a layer of closed cell foam, then mass loaded vinyl, then the mass backed carpet.

I didn't buy everything from Don, but his website is an excellent resource
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

Billhilly 08-14-2015 03:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7255499)
Looks great! Won't be long now and she'll be driven down the road.
Chris

High praise coming from you Chris! Your truck is looking great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1985-GMC (Post 7255697)
Man that's purty, nice job!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7257460)
That is vibration damper, and doesn't need 100% coverage. You need an actual sound deadening layer to block outside sound transmission into the cab.

So, you're saying I've got vibration under control then! :sexy: Learning all the time...

Finally got the exhaust finished. Second time a charm. Installed the Old Air AC deal. The bulkhead grommet is an interesting install! Painted the dash and pedal box etc, and installed them.

Billhilly 08-14-2015 03:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I was lucky enough to have both daughters here on Monday/Tuesday so kinda rushed and got the cab on Tuesday lunchtime. Spoilt having the gantry to use. Cab balanced nicely using an old front hinge, and the seat belt hole to hang from. Another step...

ryanroo 08-14-2015 09:14 AM

Sweet!