The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1964 Suburban Pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=272654)

protrash64 03-14-2010 02:05 PM

Re: 1964 Suburban Pics

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 3859289)
Care to elaborate on the tv bracket on the quadrajet? I didnt think it would be easy, you make it look like its just a matter of drilling holes. That can save me the money I was gonna spend on a new carb.

Sure; it took a little cypherin' :sexy::smoke:...........:lol:. Basically, I had plan to run the Edelbrock a long time ago. Well, as luck would have it, it doesn't work. Wont idle. I had picked up the TV bracket from Summit(SUM-700203) to use on it and wanted to use it now. I searched and couldn't find much info until I got to Bowtie Overdrives. They have a bracket and a carb guide for Quadrajets. Well, my Quad doesnt have the lower linkage; it was cut down 'for use on low riser stock manifolds'. Nice!!

What I did was set the 2 carbs on a level surface.I marked the center point of each throttle shaft. I put the bracket on the Edelbrock and used my speedsquare to find the angle (75*) and marked the bracket in relation to the center shaft. (It sits just forward of the shaft, made a horizontal line).

I took the bracket off and moved it to the Quad and positioned it in the same location. Horizontal line pointing at the center of the throttle shaft and sitting at a 75* angle. This should keep the radius the same as an Edelbrock as the throttle swings its arc. I clamped it down and scribed the location on the Quad bracket. Drilled out a hole and used the throttle ball and a small 10-32 bolt to hold it to the Quad linkage. One could use 2 bolts and use the standard Quad throttle ball location with minor trimming of the TV adapter.

I also had to pick up a TV cable bracket from TCI (TCI-376700) and a 1'' spacer for the carb(4-hole Quad from Mr. Gasket). I needed the spacer because of the stock manifold. I think with an aftermarket manifold one would be ok with the height. The TV bracket hit the #3 intake runner in my case. Basically a 100$ to hook up the trans. I also dont know if it will work yet, but I dont know why it wouldn't.

I'll try to get some pics on here later.

protrash64 03-14-2010 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the linkage. You can see the line pointing at the center of the throttle shaft and the bolt below the throttle ball. My Quad now has an Edelbrock throw on it.

jason65 03-14-2010 07:21 PM

Good job dude.

daverod 03-15-2010 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Your a fricken Macgyver. Fire in the hole this week?

Joemomma1 03-15-2010 12:31 AM

Thanks a ton. I really do appericiate you taking time out of your day to get the pic. Thanks.

protrash64 03-15-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daverod (Post 3861137)
Your a fricken Macgyver. Fire in the hole this week?

Hope so; still working out some small details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joemomma1 (Post 3861168)
Thanks a ton. I really do appericiate you taking time out of your day to get the pic. Thanks.

No problem. Same as you I was trying to put my already spent dollars to work and not buy anything I didn't have to get. I dont know if this will work properly but I dont see why it wouldn't.

By the way, the Summit TV corrector is the cheapest route I found. I've seen it sell for up to 45 dollars elsewhere for the same 3'' piece of metal.

CarJunkie 03-18-2010 10:26 PM

i like the fact that your sub whiskey has smoothies :)

protrash64 04-11-2010 01:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok..no fire in the hole yet and a small update. I have been working on this but there are many small issues and I'm finally thru them and close to having this thing running. I took some time off and then just had to start throwing some dollars at it and got there :lol:.....

Installed the business part of the Hurst shifter....works well. I'm on my 3rd set of tranny lines as I had to change exhaust plans. I'm now running BBC shorty's. My carb is finally hooked up and I'm ready to start putting in the fluids.

Once running I'm going to build some exhaust extensions and it will be ready for a test drive. I changed a lot of stuff so I'm going to have to look over many things...here are a couple pics.....oh yeah, and vaccuum the interior, damn it looks bad:lol:.

srsummers 04-12-2010 12:30 AM

Nice work Jeff

I should have my truck back on the road soon. Maybe I can cruise it over to your house and hang again. Keep up the speedy progress...The Heat is coming:devil:

protrash64 04-12-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srsummers (Post 3914966)
Nice work Jeff

I should have my truck back on the road soon. Maybe I can cruise it over to your house and hang again. Keep up the speedy progress...The Heat is coming:devil:

Ya, definitely.........need some pre-bent tranny lines???:lol: I'm trying to get this thing fired by the end of the week. I have to take my time so I dont miss anything as I've changed and added so much stuff.

srsummers 04-12-2010 01:53 AM

I'm trying to get mine on the road for a car show on the 24th. If your interested in going, let me know (it's small, but there will be at least 3 60-66). It's a hike for you 35th ave and Happy Valley. If your interested, let me know and I'll email an entry form. It supports the local High School car club. I was thinking about hittin Dino up as well.

protrash64 04-17-2010 10:59 PM

Fire in the hole:devil::devil::devil:

Started it up tonite!!!:metal: Fired off and scared the crap out of me with open headers. Have a couple small leaks to deal with but that comes with the territory. Also my neutral safety switch doesnt want to let the truck fire in PARK. The hard part is done; it runs.

daverod 04-17-2010 11:35 PM

Very cool to hear.:metal: You don't really need headers anyway.:lol: Now you need to go burn around the hood.:smoke::lol:

protrash64 04-18-2010 12:12 AM

Thanx man!!!!! I'm excited as it's been 3 months of work. I had the pedal floored when it lit off cuz I thought it mite be flooded. Blew all my kitty litter out the back of the truck:lol:

Now I need to weld up my header extensions to meet up to the old exhaust system and then bleed the rear brakes. I already solved one leak and figured out my neutral safety switch.

Alan's Classic 04-18-2010 12:25 AM

Congrats!!!

Captainfab 04-18-2010 12:42 AM

That's good to hear. I'll bet you're anxious to go for that first test drive. :uhmk:

protrash64 04-20-2010 01:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by srsummers (Post 3915060)
I'm trying to get mine on the road for a car show on the 24th. If your interested in going, let me know (it's small, but there will be at least 3 60-66). It's a hike for you 35th ave and Happy Valley. If your interested, let me know and I'll email an entry form. It supports the local High School car club. I was thinking about hittin Dino up as well.

I'm just getting ready to drive, so I think I'm going to pass up the road trip right now, Scott. I wish I could go, but I'm going to try a cruise that started up about 2 miles away on Friday night. Gilbert and Baseline.

For the progress report, I welded up some pipe and installed my exhaust. I had to change out my fuel pump as the one I was using had too much pressure; my carb looked like a sprinkler!!:lol: Here are the only pics I took today. I did fire it up and it purrs nice and quietly. Welding exhaust under the truck sucks!!!

scotts62 04-20-2010 10:20 PM

Cool man looking good!! Yeah i agree with the welding exhaust i finished up a couple pieces on my daily and the top part always sucks :lol:

protrash64 04-21-2010 12:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 3931635)
Cool man looking good!! Yeah i agree with the welding exhaust i finished up a couple pieces on my daily and the top part always sucks :lol:

I dont have an auto adjust helmet and I kept knocking my helmet off under the truck so I ended up just wearing my sunglasses:lol: I also have flash burn on my left arm:devil:

Well, here it is......a fully operational Death Star.:mmmk: Still need to bleed the brakes a little more as they still feel mushy, but stop the truck. Also need to get the a/c lines tucked in somewhere.

Joemomma1 04-21-2010 12:52 AM

Looks at home in that giant boat.

Captainfab 04-21-2010 01:03 AM

Real nice job Jeff :thumbs:

protrash64 04-21-2010 01:16 AM

Thanks for the comments everybody. It was a tough job and a lot of little details to plow thru.....still need to get it on the road and see how it drives. It sounds awesome with a low, rumbly exhaust note. I'm wondering if the radiator will keep up with the cooling of the engine. It was idling fine today at steady temps.

Oh, the headers I finally went with were Hedman #68610. They are for Chevelle/Camaro fitments. They exit at nearly a perfect 45* angle and the only issue is the #1 tube hit the clamshell. It requires a little grinding on the top/rear to allow the tube to pass. Again, these work with the 73+ 1/2 ton mounts I used to get the engine in the frame.

StuckinAz 04-21-2010 01:32 AM

Love that huge filter.

protrash64 04-21-2010 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StuckinAz (Post 3932144)
Love that huge filter.

........free!!!!:D

mosesburb 04-21-2010 06:33 AM

Looks great!! It should be a real hoot with that big block in there.