The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Greg65 build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=336653)

McMurphy 01-28-2012 12:31 AM

Re: Greg65 build thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff La (Post 5150427)
Nice build you have going on. Just finished reading it and will try to keep up with it. What I like most about these build threads is watching everybody take their trucks apart, making my repairs much easier. Thanks

:agree: EXACTLY !!!!
It is a tear down, replace, repair, improve, modify, upgrade, how to, rebuild and have fun ........ all rolled into one!

greg65 01-31-2012 10:33 PM

Thanks guys. Sunday I finished blasting the grille mounting panel and got it primed. Last night night I assembled the front sheet metal but I don't think it sit as low as it should. The front is lowered four and a half inches and six inches in the back. I will try to post pictures later in the week.

flips72 02-02-2012 10:01 PM

are those original or aftermarket inner fenders, man they look great, great build by the way,awesome metal work.

greg65 02-03-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flips72 (Post 5162784)
are those original or aftermarket inner fenders, man they look great, great build by the way,awesome metal work.

Thanks
They are original inner fenders that I got from Alan a couple years ago. All I've done is sandblast and put primmer on them. Hopefully the body work will come soon enough. Next up is welding the outer roof panel in place.

lenguini 03-04-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5150213)
I got the driver's side inner fender, inner fender cup, and wiper linkage sandblasted and primered today. Still waiting to get done with the grille mounting panel. Not sure if I can get it done over the weekend or not. I work one Saturday a month and it comes around way to fast. Next on the list is finding a good drivers side door. It felt good make a little head way for a change.

Greetings Greg,Allan recommended I get in touch with re: your inner fenders.I have fitment issues with my aftermarket one's (there's a surprise) and was hoping you could send me measurements front to back for length.I may end up looking for originals and fixing them.I have heard alot or horror stories about the new ones,,,,so......

Thanks,
Ed.:ito:

greg65 03-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5229327)
Greetings Greg,Allan recommended I get in touch with re: your inner fenders.I have fitment issues with my aftermarket one's (there's a surprise) and was hoping you could send me measurements front to back for length.I may end up looking for originals and fixing them.I have heard alot or horror stories about the new ones,,,,so......

Thanks,

Mine are mounted on the truck right now but I will try to get some mesurements this afternoon.

66BowTieBoy 03-04-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5229327)

Thanks,

Hey Ed,

I put a tape on my '66 and the inner fender is 36 inches from firewall to radiator support.

If that helps......?
Danny

lenguini 03-04-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 5229674)
Hey Ed,

I put a tape on my '66 and the inner fender is 36 inches from firewall to radiator support.

If that helps......?
Danny

Thanks Danny,I appreciate you doing that .I'm going to go check that measurement to my new ones...and go from there..If you get the chance,check out my build !

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=510863

Thanks again,
Ed.

greg65 03-05-2012 09:29 AM

At the top ofthe inner fendermine measured 36 and a half inches. Let me know if you need anymoe measurements.

greg65 03-06-2012 10:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pictures of my new to me drivers door. The one I bought out of Texas was all busted up around where the window regulator mounts. Maybe now the paint and body work. The first thing will be repairing the speaker hole in the door.

greg65 03-06-2012 10:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And here it is ready for the ride from Cali to Georgia.

lenguini 03-06-2012 12:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5231400)
At the top ofthe inner fendermine measured 36 and a half inches. Let me know if you need anymoe measurements.

That's interesting,last reply from member 66bowTieBoy was 36" and that's the length my new ones are....I think if mine were 36 1/2" some of my fitment issues would be solved.
Currently with the new inners,my rad support leans backward toward the firewall,its pretty obvious in these pics.
I need a strong drink !

Any thoughts ?

65Custom 03-06-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5234037)
And here it is ready for the ride from Cali to Georgia.

Glad to see you got a good door on the way, I feel the same way about the door I got from them too, The I one I got was trash too, barely worth cutting it up for a repair.

greg65 03-06-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5234227)
That's interesting,last reply from member 66bowTieBoy was 36" and that's the length my new ones are....I think if mine were 36 1/2" some of my fitment issues would be solved.
Currently with the new inners,my rad support leans backward toward the firewall,its pretty obvious in these pics.
I need a strong drink !

Any thoughts ?

I measured from where the inner fender bolts to the firewall to the radiator support. This might be where the extra 1/2" comes from.

greg65 03-06-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65Custom (Post 5234355)
Glad to see you got a good door on the way, I feel the same way about the door I got from them too, The I one I got was trash too, barely worth cutting it up for a repair.

Yeah I thought I had a decent door until I took the door panel off. Note to self, never buy used truck parts in the Summit parking lot at not.:lol:

lenguini 03-06-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5234404)
I measured from where the inner fender bolts to the firewall to the radiator support. This might be where the extra 1/2" comes from.

I measured along the top of the inner ...from firewall to its front 36"1/4 so its close, however I have close to a 3/4 air gap to rad support if I want it sitting level up and down.

This makes no sense..,Im at a loss.

greg65 03-06-2012 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a side view of Alan's before fenders were added. Hope this helps.

lenguini 03-06-2012 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5234538)
Here is a side view of Alan's before fenders were added. Hope this helps.

Is it just me,or is his leaning to the back as well ?

66BowTieBoy 03-06-2012 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Ed,

This is what I got and where I measured:

lenguini 03-06-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 5234547)
Hey Ed,

This is what I got and where I measured:

Thanks,that's where I measured so Im out by 1/4.I'm still using my old gaskets for mockup,so maybe Ill realize the extra 1/ 4 with the new ones.

Just out of curiosity,if you look at your rad support from the side...does it lean backward like mine ?
Thanks again,
Ed.

66BowTieBoy 03-06-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5234554)
Thanks,that's where I measured so Im out by 1/4.I'm still using my old gaskets for mockup,so maybe Ill realize the extra 1/ 4 with the new ones.

Just out of curiosity,if you look at your rad support from the side...does it lean backward like mine ?
Thanks again,
Ed.

Ed,

I put a short level on the fender, to make sure the truck was sitting level and when I checked the rad support, it looked just like yours (about a 1/4 inch gap). So mine is leaning back also and this front end has never been removed.

I'm as surprised as you are, I never knew it raked back like that. I guess it's true, ya learn something new every day. Now if I could just remember for more than a day I'd be really smart. Guess I should of stopped smoke'n dope just one day earlier....

Danny

lenguini 03-06-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 5234622)
Ed,

I put a short level on the fender, to make sure the truck was sitting level and when I checked the rad support, it looked just like yours (about a 1/4 inch gap). So mine is leaning back also and this front end has never been removed.

I'm as surprised as you are, I never knew it raked back like that. I guess it's true, ya learn something new every day. Now if I could just remember for more than a day I'd be really smart. Guess I should of stopped smoke'n dope just one day earlier....

Danny

When you say 1/4 gap.... where ? Is that what your seeing between the rad support and front of the inner fender with all bolted down tight and has never been disassembled ?
I just want to be clear on that...as Im getting ready to take the parts back as we speak.

Thanks,
Ed.

66BowTieBoy 03-06-2012 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lenguini (Post 5234644)
When you say 1/4 gap.... where ? Is that what your seeing between the rad support and front of the inner fender with all bolted down tight and has never been disassembled ?
I just want to be clear on that...as Im getting ready to take the parts back as we speak.

Thanks,
Ed.

Man O Man Ed, I am sorry.....

I was on my way out the door and didn't proof read my post.

The 1/4 inch gap is between the level and the rad support, looking just like your level/support photo, but my level is smaller....

Sorry again.
Danny

lenguini 03-06-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66BowTieBoy (Post 5234818)
Man O Man Ed, I am sorry.....

I was on my way out the door and didn't proof read my post.

The 1/4 inch gap is between the level and the rad support, looking just like your level/support photo, but my level is smaller....

Sorry again.
Danny

Its all good Danny,I appreciate you letting me know.I'm going to go for a oem rad support.That's the buzz I'm hearing around this site,.....and I did know better when I started this build,the rad support is a critical point for all the parts and pieces don't cut corners !:banghead:

Cheers,
Ed.

65Custom 03-06-2012 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg65 (Post 5234426)
Yeah I thought I had a decent door until I took the door panel off. Note to self, never buy used truck parts in the Summit parking lot at not.:lol:

Yep I'm right there with you, especially not in the dark. :agree:

It seemed like a good idea at the time, The bed I got is fixable, it was the only thing that was half way decent they had with them.

Live and Learn it was money down the :pty: