The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   The Brown Truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=437222)

SFTorange 07-03-2012 10:03 AM

Re: The Brown Truck

It sort of depends on how I feel like sitting. I can have more leg room, but I have to sit very straight, or I can sacrifice some room and lean back. Before I installed these seats, I put my factory bench in, and there wasn't really any more room, plus it was way less comfortable. Overall, I'm very pleased with the seats.

It seems like some guys are having luck with second row seats out of some newer SUV's.

SFTorange 07-03-2012 09:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more pics.

Loaded down with 100 2x4's. Carried the load like a champ.

Attachment 950801

Just a shot I thought looked cool...

Attachment 950800

Dinos63 07-03-2012 11:59 PM

nice job congrats, !!and great looking truck

SFTorange 07-04-2012 09:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dino! I've been loving every minute of it. Even the infuriating Edelbrock carb problems I've been having. I have those fixed now and I've learned a lot about how to tune/clean/rebuild them.

I took the truck on a long drive over the Beartooth Pass today. If you've never heard of it, the drive is one of the most scenic in the country, and takes you over 10,000 feet in elevation.

The truck ran great for the 250 mile trip. Temp stayed at a constant level, even with the a/c on most of the trip. It was a great way to spend the day.

jonzcustomshop 07-05-2012 07:24 AM

almost like gm brochure shots

Modges'66 07-05-2012 11:48 AM

Those seats look awesome!
I'm sure that you probably already posted, but what did they come out of?

SFTorange 07-05-2012 02:26 PM

Thanks guys. The seats came out of a 2003 GMC Sierra. They bolted right in. My uncle is an upholsterer, so I called in some favors and got him to recover them for me.

SFTorange 07-05-2012 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one more pic of the gas filler cover....

theastronaut 07-08-2012 02:54 PM

Man I like this truck!! Great pictures as well, thanks for posting updates!! You mentioned cutting down a stock wheel; I sectioned an original '66 deluxe wheel down to 15" for Goldilocks and also shortened the column three inches for more room in the cab. Might be something to think about. I'm 5' 8" and I could use the extra room, so I'm sure it would make and even bigger difference as tall as you are!

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/716f1ff6.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

SFTorange 07-10-2012 10:21 AM

Thanks Astronaut!

The sectioned steering wheel is definitely on my list of things to do someday. My original wheel is pretty rough, so I wouldn't mind cutting it down. The next big thing on my list is learning how to weld. It's pretty daunting, but I'd really like to learn more. I just don't know where to start....

jonzcustomshop 07-10-2012 01:38 PM

I wonder if there is a night program/votech class for welding in billings. when I was in highschool here I took a night welding class because I was 1 credit short to graduate (I had already taken welding 1 and 2) there were abunch of older guys in the class taking it to get certified.
for mig welding light sheetmetal you could probably just teach yourself with a few pointers from someone w/ experience.
-also in high school, I taught most of the kids in our senior art class enough mig that they could weld up a metal sculpture . it only took a few minutes each.

McMurphy 07-10-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFTorange (Post 5478335)
Thanks Astronaut!

The sectioned steering wheel is definitely on my list of things to do someday. My original wheel is pretty rough, so I wouldn't mind cutting it down. The next big thing on my list is learning how to weld. It's pretty daunting, but I'd really like to learn more. I just don't know where to start....

I totally felt the same way, but needed to get the work done and outsourcing that stuff is expensive. But I bought a nice welder, and an auto darkening hood was a x10 good investment, and dove in.
I started with learning how to fill holes in my body work, which was tricky in itself. The guys at the local welding suppy shop where I get my welding gas exchanged were super helpful, as well as reading up on it online and taking a few YouTube classes !!!

So a few pointers from a newbie like me,
Autodarkening Hood
Wire dykes
small flashlight
and a piece of copper

And buy at least 2 spare reels of wire... it is always a suprise when that runs out, and not at the most convinient of times either.... :waah:

Then relax and have fun with it, now I weld anything and everything I can.

SFTorange 07-20-2012 10:25 PM

Thanks guys! I'll have to give it a go one of these days. It always seems like I have new little project on the truck... My dad's suburban will need a lot of welding, so that'll be our first project.

jonzcustomshop 07-21-2012 07:39 AM

there is a graet article in one of the truck magazines this month about cutting down a steering wheel... how to start to finish... maybe classic trucks? I will try to get the title and month for you

chad64chevy 07-21-2012 08:51 AM

custom classice trucks is the one that has the article

McMurphy 07-21-2012 11:56 AM

I am actually going to look for a spare at the boneyard to try my hand at it too. Figured it would be good to try a practice run on a spare than commit on my only wheel....

Apathybot 08-20-2012 07:12 AM

Just read this build cover to cover. Inspirational to say the least! Very nice to see someone doing this quality of work AND using their truck as a truck.

Desert.Chevy 01-16-2013 05:14 AM

Good looking build, also good to see it is still used as a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

88Lt1wagon 01-16-2013 02:35 PM

Very cool, I just read through your whole build, you guys are really hindering my advancement at work...

SFTorange 01-18-2013 12:59 PM

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the nice words. I had a new piece of tinted back glass installed around Christmas. I'll post some pics soon. Upcoming projects will include some panel alignment and installing an antenna to get the factory am radio working.

par4tom 05-06-2013 02:16 PM

That was really a great thread to read. Read it from page 1 all the way to the end. Congrats on a job well done.

SFTorange 04-21-2016 07:11 PM

Been ages since my last update, and since I've had to do any work on the truck, until this week. Had my first real mechanical issue in 6 years. The rear end was a junkyard find, and I just swapped it into the truck during the build. One of the bearings failed, and the truck's in the shop for a diff overhaul. And a Posi. So, I'm really not that upset about the whole thing.

pope 04-21-2016 07:31 PM

I work in Billings, and have been keeping an eye out for your truck in hopes of seeing it on the road!

88Lt1wagon 04-21-2016 07:37 PM

Nice, my Suburban's rear end came apart so now I'm up in the air on whether I should upgrade to posi or just get it fixed the cheapest I can
Posted via Mobile Device

LostMy65 01-24-2020 11:50 PM

How's your truck these days?