The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Boppa's old yeller truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=501131)

Low Elco 08-23-2012 10:55 PM

Re: Boppa's old yeller truck

5 Attachment(s)
Well, kind of a slow night tonight, We've been hitting it pretty hard. Drained the rad and replaced the water neck gasket again. Fixed the drain plug gasket while I was at it. Got glass in today, looks good. Got appraised today by a long time reputable guy, 1's across the board. Got a good number for the ins. co. Boppa got a referral from the app guy and got on the Chrome insurance. Seems like it'll be a good fit. Took it up and put gas in it tonight, runs like crap. I dunno. Seems like 7 cylinders, bad gas, and a vacuum leak all at the same time. The trans still isn't right, but it'll adjust, I think. The efans are coming on at 160 and staying on.? who knows. Anyway, here's some pics-

The Kid wanted to help, so he put on the bowtie and lenses.
Attachment 974983

Boppa cleaning and waxing the inners before install.
Attachment 974984

Yours truly installing the inners-
Attachment 974985

with the new wheels-
Attachment 974986

Lotsa yellow!
Attachment 974987

Low Elco 08-23-2012 11:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of the de facto maiden voyage- I had to get gas before it ran out! Gas gause still doesn't work, but I only put 3ish gallons in. I may not have lifted the float.

Attachment 974991

Attachment 974992

Attachment 974993

Not bad for 48 days, huh?

jlsanborn 08-23-2012 11:06 PM

Looks nice! Really dig the new wheels too. Get any of the tune issues resolved? What's left?

Low Elco 08-23-2012 11:23 PM

Thanks, I like the wheels too. Stereo, insulation, interior, and weatherstrip, then touch up paint. Only been an hour and a half since I found it I gave up for the night gonna try to crash a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Houch 08-24-2012 09:46 AM

Truck looks awesome. Seeing picture of it at the gas station made me think about the last pic of it at the station. Talk about extreme makeovers. Great job man and in a very short period of time.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 08-24-2012 10:00 AM

Thanks! I was kinda surprised myself to see it when I counted it up last night. Still a bit disheartening to have it run like that, cause its run great all this time. I just shut it off and walked away. It'll be ok, I think it's ignition. We'll check it all Out this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

bigguy69 08-24-2012 03:51 PM

It looks great! I hope the miss is something minor.
Posted via Mobile Device

c10327 08-25-2012 08:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Wow !!! Looks Great glad to see you near completion . mine has been a challenge the whole restoration , registered it on Wednesday an took it for the first cruz / shakedown since I bought it on Valentines day !!
all that hard work paid off but it sure takes alot out of you !!! truck went good with only a few minor adjustments , 411 rear an the 350 turbo trans sure don't make it a Highway cruzzer ! will do some up grades later , for now I am just going to drive it :chevy: hope you get yours on the road soon , the looks from people an thumbs up makes you feel good . Great job

jlsanborn 08-25-2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10327 (Post 5556348)
Wow !!! Looks Great glad to see you near completion . mine has been a challenge the whole restoration , registered it on Wednesday an took it for the first cruz / shakedown since I bought it on Valentines day !!
all that hard work paid off but it sure takes alot out of you !!! truck went good with only a few minor adjustments , 411 rear an the 350 turbo trans sure don't make it a Highway cruzzer ! will do some up grades later , for now I am just going to drive it :chevy: hope you get yours on the road soon , the looks from people an thumbs up makes you feel good . Great job

Hey, C10327
I was looking for a build thread on your truck and couldn't find one so I guess I'll ask you here (sorry Elco!). Truck looks super sweet - props! What size wheels and rubber on there?

c10327 08-25-2012 09:49 AM

Honestly I never started a build tread . I was taken in on how well Elco has done on his truck an jus started with a comment an it kinda Snow balled from there , not to taken anything away form his truck as he is obviously a Great craftsman an the truck he an his family an friends put together looks great !

but in all fairness I will start one in the next couple days with the story of my build ... wheels are 6 lug 15'-235/70 8-inch wide, in the front 10 275/60 inch rear .

Low Elco 08-25-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks guys- that black one came out great! You should be proud!
Posted via Mobile Device

67cheby 08-25-2012 10:15 AM

Looks great !

Low Elco 08-25-2012 10:23 AM

Short update- stereo in amps in deadener in insulation in. Have a very dead plug on #5. Peel n seal from lowes is awesome. Reports later !
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 08-25-2012 10:25 AM

X2 on the taking it outta you. You better like attention in this thing, though. Had 4 people talking to me just tryin to get gas! That's the cool part though.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 08-25-2012 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5556530)
X2 on the taking it outta you. You better like attention in this thing, though. Had 4 people talking to me just tryin to get gas! That's the cool part though.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm one of those! I'll whip a big-o u-bangy and ralley my poor little GTI down the road to catch up with a cool Chevy just to give thumbs up. I saw a dude by work the other day in a really cool stepper. He must of thought I was chasing him for the wrong reasons! Anyway, I reeled him in and shouted "bad a$$ stepper man!" He kinda nodded then was like ok, cool! - big smile. Can't wait to make progress like you have man. Really looking forward to the LBT too! What about The Kid? He's gotta be needing some wheels soon?

jlsanborn 08-25-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10327 (Post 5556469)
Honestly I never started a build tread . I was taken in on how well Elco has done on his truck an jus started with a comment an it kinda Snow balled from there , not to taken anything away form his truck as he is obviously a Great craftsman an the truck he an his family an friends put together looks great !

but in all fairness I will start one in the next couple days with the story of my build ... wheels are 6 lug 15'-235/70 8-inch wide, in the front 10 275/60 inch rear .

Looking forward to a thread!! I bet you have more pictures too? I see rubber on the road in front of the house. Is that from the mail man, or the pickup?

Low Elco 08-25-2012 05:41 PM

Ok, went yardin' this am and got some goodies. Boppa fixed the miss with a full tune up. Bought a jbl gto 400 amp at a garage sale. amp installed carpet in dash vents in ashtray in carpet cut for seats seats set in door panel retainers painted. Quit early to take 5 kids to see nitro circus 3d. Later!
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 08-25-2012 06:52 PM

Nitro Circus rocks! So will that 400! Keep us posted...

TchncnDen 08-25-2012 09:43 PM

I've been following this thread and never realized how fast a build it was until you mentioned it, very impressive. If you don't mind me asking what kind of number did the insurance company give you? I have State Farm and told them I wanted mine insured for $20k. They told me they don't do it that way and only go after the fact, such as if it were totalled they would contact a shop to see what it would cost to build one like it.

Low Elco 08-25-2012 11:01 PM

Nitro circus was awesome! Can't quit smilin'! Gotta get this truck done so I can go ride! Talking about an overnight later in the fall. Boppa went with chrome insurance. He was having problems with agreed value and usage, mostly with towing the boat. Which is the main reason he has it! Chrome said no problem. I have no idea the cost, but it wasn't bad at all. LBT is standard full coverage ins through state farm. If I remember, I'll find out and post. LEEVON knows some bigwigs at chrome ins and might provide insight. Yeller appraised at 25k, chrome didn't bat an eye. Thanks for the props, but I tell everyone, this truck don't live here! So it has to get done done so it can go home and LBT can come back. As you can see, I don't exactly have a palatial shop to leisurely perfect a project, its gotta get done. But it's a great motivator!
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 08-27-2012 09:34 AM

Short update- carpet in final, seat in final, door seals on, speakers on kick final, doors prepped for door panels, vent parts painted. Parts getting bought today. Hopefully interior done tonight. Truck runs much better, still no shift.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 08-28-2012 06:54 AM

It's ALIVE! Messed with TV cable and got it to shift beautifully. Ran up and put gas in it and got out on the hwy and ran uP to 80 ish. Runs real nice! Interior is done.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 08-28-2012 03:16 PM

That's great to hear! Almost time for the video!:burnout:

c10327 08-31-2012 02:41 PM

glad to hear you are coming to an end on your build !!!

80 ish thats rolling !! what do you have for rear gears & transmission ? I have 373 posi with a th 350 , dont have a tach in her yet but you know the motor is definitely working at 70-75 .. needs 1 more gear next season will have a built 700r4 .. spent a bundle this year ..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5561687)
It's ALIVE! Messed with TV cable and got it to shift beautifully. Ran up and put gas in it and got out on the hwy and ran uP to 80 ish. Runs real nice! Interior is done.
Posted via Mobile Device

litew8 08-31-2012 07:13 PM

:metal: