The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 Not sure what to call it yet resto! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=501870)

LakeAnna 05-16-2012 05:46 PM

Re: 72 Not sure what to call it yet resto!

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5384117)
Awesome Chris! just awesome.

Thanks Mike! I need to take a look at yours... you sprayed the raptor I know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by j carter (Post 5384126)
do u have a pic of the engine?

Only this one for the moment. I see about taking a few tomorrow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5384213)
Beautiful !

NOT LIKE YOURS!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5384215)
That looks so awesome! Congrats and great work!
Posted via Mobile Device

Man, Come up in your travels and take a look.
Quote:

Originally Posted by es67chevy (Post 5384240)
Man, you work fast! Amazing progress in just a few weeks. It looks great with the trim

Thanks, I still have tons to do and the wiring is still on the table.:waah:

es67chevy 05-16-2012 05:49 PM

Well let me know if you get stuck on the wiring. I learned a lot through wiring mine! Need to keep it somewhat fresh or I'll start forgetting it all!

Palf70Step 05-16-2012 05:49 PM

Very Nice!:metal:

67cheby 05-16-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es67chevy (Post 5384356)
Well let me know if you get stuck on the wiring. I learned a lot through wiring mine! Need to keep it somewhat fresh or I'll start forgetting it all!

Does this apply to friends that might live ......CLOSER ? just wondering....i HATE wiring !

es67chevy 05-16-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5384359)
Does this apply to friends that might live ......CLOSER ? just wondering....i HATE wiring !

Hahaha. Yeah, I think I owe you at least that!

67cheby 05-16-2012 05:55 PM

Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! Winning !

OC 72 05-16-2012 06:00 PM

Vroom Vroom!! Can't wait to see it on the road!

LakeAnna 05-16-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es67chevy (Post 5384356)

Really the wiring is the part I have been dreading out of all the work on this thing... Looks like I have a buddy near me that MAY come and knock it out for me... I really want to do it myself just because.

Any pointers? I have the American harness for our trucks.. Looks really nice. I cut the firewall the other day and just stared at the box a few minutes.:lol::uhmk:

LakeAnna 05-16-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5384361)
Yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssss!!!!!!!! Winning !

Whatever...:mel::lol:

es67chevy 05-16-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeAnna (Post 5384417)
Really the wiring is the part I have been dreading out of all the work on this thing... Looks like I have a buddy near me that MAY come and knock it out for me... I really want to do it myself just because.

Any pointers? I have the American harness for our trucks.. Looks really nice. I cut the firewall the other day and just stared at the box a few minutes.:lol::uhmk:

Lay it all out on the ground beside your truck and start thinking about where everything goes. Don't cut any wire until you have them all in place and tested. You can go back later and tidy up after you check to make sure things work. From here, it really comes down to individual issues you run into. I had a heck of a time with my back lights. Turned out the taillight housings weren't grounding properly to the truck. Speaking of which, make sure you have plenty of ground. That'll cause you headaches if every part of your truck is not properly grounded.

LakeAnna 05-17-2012 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by es67chevy (Post 5384607)
Lay it all out on the ground beside your truck and start thinking about where everything goes. Don't cut any wire until you have them all in place and tested. You can go back later and tidy up after you check to make sure things work. From here, it really comes down to individual issues you run into. I had a heck of a time with my back lights. Turned out the taillight housings weren't grounding properly to the truck. Speaking of which, make sure you have plenty of ground. That'll cause you headaches if every part of your truck is not properly grounded.

Eric, It looks like I may end up wiring it...:waah: I may pm you with questions if you don't mind.

I got the window glass and wing windows in today. Great rubber from gmcpauls btw!

The windshield rubber I had from LMC was complete crap so the glass man is getting some from precision on Monday.
Needless to say the windshield is back out waiting on decent rubbers.

es67chevy 05-17-2012 10:37 PM

Will be glad to help!

Sorry for your windshield troubles.

original-71 05-17-2012 10:52 PM

looks like you have nice people to get you going

WORP67 05-17-2012 11:36 PM

Looking good man. You started with better sheet metal than mine has.

Encase I missed it what kind of blaster did you use and what kinda of media?

I am wanting to shave my firewall and blast my engine bay and frame this week/weekend so I can have it all painted and ready to go when I drop the motor in.

screaminchevypickup 05-17-2012 11:41 PM

Looks good!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

TXPinstriper 05-18-2012 12:08 AM

Looks great Chris, if you can't find good windshield gasket try steel rubber products...........

LakeAnna 05-18-2012 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WORP67 (Post 5386834)
Looking good man. You started with better sheet metal than mine has.

Encase I missed it what kind of blaster did you use and what kinda of media?

I am wanting to shave my firewall and blast my engine bay and frame this week/weekend so I can have it all painted and ready to go when I drop the motor in.

For the most part the body was in decent shape.. it did have some hidden crap under all the red paint of course. I replaced all the cab supports like they all need at this age I guess. The worst part was an area on the bed (pics here earlier in the tread) it had a deep gash that was full of filler. Anyway it's all good now.
We have a home built blaster with a 100lbs. pot. I used a 3/16 nozzle or 1/4 with 120-150 average psi @ 22cfm. To do the entire truck I ended up using about 20 bags I guess.

The media not sure of the brand just off hand but it was 80 grit silica mix. The stuff is pretty fine and is black in color. The blaster gives you a great clean surface to start the resto... saved a lot of sanding and cleaning time for sure.;) The only thing I did by hand was the hood since it's so thin and already all over the place flimsy.

ryanmctee 05-23-2012 12:18 PM

Hey Chris, a little off subject, but where did the bed mat come from? I have been having a hard time finding one for our trucks. The truck is coming out beautiful, keep up the great work!

LakeAnna 05-23-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmctee (Post 5396234)
Hey Chris, a little off subject, but where did the bed mat come from? I have been having a hard time finding one for our trucks. The truck is coming out beautiful, keep up the great work!

Thanks man! I shot the bed floor with the raptor liner 2 medium coats. Stuff works great and is super easy to apply.

ryanmctee 05-23-2012 06:49 PM

Wow, it looked like a rubber mat at first. I'm going to use the Raptor product as well, but will also put a rubber mat on the floor. Just trying to find the mat that will fit. Anyways, keep on keepin on! Truck is looking great. :metal:

original-71 06-06-2012 09:53 AM

any updated pics chris?

LakeAnna 06-08-2012 05:36 AM

Nothing for the last few weeks... I've been working on a big masonry job that is taking all my time and energy. I hope to get back to the truck in a few more weeks.

I should have some cash and time to throw at it here pretty soon.:metal:

3rdGen.c10 06-10-2012 01:40 AM

i just read through your entire thread and this truck is sweet!!! :metal: cant wait to see an update! what did you use on the floor inside the cab? and inner fenders/fender wells? ill be on the body of my 67 somewhat soon and im gettin my plans together somewhat and just need advice and ideas. ;) love the colors!!!! my dads 67 was originaly those colors. still is actually but with alot of mother natures favorite paint job on top..

70 shorty 06-10-2012 09:21 AM

wow, a SWEET truck going together just 45 minutes from me! Can't believe I've missed this build so far. I used to deliver for FedEx around Lake Anna, and I LOVE that area!. Great work so far.

Pete