The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Raymond (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612847)

Elliot949 01-17-2015 12:37 AM

Re: Project "Class Act"

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Indyram (Post 7006866)
YAY a update! .... well ok sort of a update...lol
glad your getting it all planned out, going to a nice truck when finished... and should flat move on out with that motor.

Had to work tonight and tomorrow so going to the Starbirds/Devlin show Sunday.
Few people I know have rides in it. One is going for that magnificent 7 deal. Its a really bright green 69 camaro.

I saw that Camaro... Lo Elco has his sweet yellow pickup in the show...

Low Elco 01-19-2015 10:37 AM

It was good to Meet ya, Dan!

96Indyram 01-19-2015 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliot949 (Post 7006978)
I saw that Camaro... Lo Elco has his sweet yellow pickup in the show...

I made it up there Sunday and checked out his truck. Much nicer looking at it in person than on a computer screen. There was some seriously nice vehicles up there! It was a nice change to get to see vehicles from other states, some I watched getting built on tv shows.

That place was a room full of motivation, making me want to get out in the garage and tinker on a truck... sad thing is the 66 panel or 68 c10 is NOT in the garage. Still need to drag them over from the in-laws property.

So Dan, how was your motivation after leaving the car show? lol

Elliot949 01-19-2015 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 96Indyram (Post 7010345)
I made it up there Sunday and checked out his truck. Much nicer looking at it in person than on a computer screen. There was some seriously nice vehicles up there! It was a nice change to get to see vehicles from other states, some I watched getting built on tv shows.

That place was a room full of motivation, making me want to get out in the garage and tinker on a truck... sad thing is the 66 panel or 68 c10 is NOT in the garage. Still need to drag them over from the in-laws property.

So Dan, how was your motivation after leaving the car show? lol

Well the motivation was sparked but life has a funny way of getting in the way...

96Indyram 01-21-2015 06:29 PM

Not sure why the name change, but I will still follow along.

flashed 01-21-2015 07:00 PM

I will continue watching no matter the name .

Elliot949 02-01-2015 08:42 AM

Hey Guys that have a good knowledge of Sound systems.... I need some opinions... I am looking at installing some front speakers down where the Kick panel vents are... I would like to close those off and inset a real nice GREAT sounding speakers in there... I want to flush mount them so they do not stand out from the panel... I want a really nice sounding system in the truck so it will get a box built behind the seat with Sub woofers and speakers with the Amp....

With that being said I am NOT wanting a "Thumper" system but a real quality sounding system like you would find in some of the higher end new cars...I do like to hear the Bass in a system but I don't want to shake the world with it...

I don't mind making some mods to the kick panels to get the speakers to fit as long as the mod aren't REAL major...

Also what would you recommend for the Amp, Sub and rear speakers... If you have any other ideas I am more than ready to listen...

What are your thoughts?... I am not Sound equipment savvy but like a good sound... I am going to use the Stock AM radio but have it Modified by Mike Hagan Antique Radio with the FM, Blue Tooth , XM Satellite, MP3 and more...

Low Elco 02-01-2015 08:51 AM

Digital JL audio amps and Focal speakers, is what I'm running. Flush in the kicks is a problem, there's no containment back there. You want a bit of tip out for good sound anyway.

Cash3481 02-01-2015 09:34 AM

Dan,
You can build those kick panels yourself, I promise. My mustang that competed had some pretty inventive enclosures and if you can use a skill saw, jigsaw and fiberglass you can build, paint or cover the end product to fit your interior well.
Same goes with your sub box but I would use a table saw for the large cuts. Enclosure size and power needs are your concern but a calculator will do the work for you work you decide on the components.
Chips gave you some good components to look at. Everyone has their preference, like driving a ford vs a chevy or vice-versa.
Good luck on your choices!

Elliot949 02-01-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 7028846)
Digital JL audio amps and Focal speakers, is what I'm running. Flush in the kicks is a problem, there's no containment back there. You want a bit of tip out for good sound anyway.

Yeah the kick panels are open back there so I am looking at enclosing that with sheet metal basically sealing it off for the speaker enclosure...

Vic1947 02-01-2015 02:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brian (Xeen) recommended 6" speakers on all four corners for my '57. No way to recess them into the kick panels, so I picked up some surface mount pods. They cost more than they should, but they're perfect for what I plan and they have the angle that Chip referenced. I don't have an amp or a sub, so the speakers are only driven by the Clarion head unit which puts out about 50 watts max to each corner (208 watts max, total). I'm using Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Punch full range speakers which should easily handle the modest power out of the radio.

The one thing I can say for certain is that the Autosound radio and kick panel speakers they sell for our trucks aren't worth the $$. You're smart to plan for a better system.

Elliot949 02-07-2015 04:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok... I got a little done on the truck today... I started off easy by just installing the Right Door Latch assembly so I could see just how crappy the body shop did on the right side and lo and behold I wasn't surprised when I saw it is worse than the left side... I really get pissed when I spend good money and get crap work... This truck will be going back to the shop and they WILL fix this truck properly...

Anyway... I did a light install on the steering column just so I can move it around without the wheel dollies... Then I decided it was time to work the hood a little bit... so I broke out the 180 and blocks and started... Man I am sure glad I had to have a OEM hood... LOL... this thing is really friendly... It waves at you like there is no tomorrow... so basically the whole hood is going to have to be skim coated and blocked... no real big deal it just looked like it was straighter than that...

Here are some pics...

flashed 02-07-2015 08:44 PM

Im sorry to hear about your bad bodywork problems ,my shop was slow on my build but they did excellent work which is why I was able to wait.

Elliot949 02-08-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7038447)
Im sorry to hear about your bad bodywork problems ,my shop was slow on my build but they did excellent work which is why I was able to wait.

Well I am probably over reacting on this a little... but it is got to be made right... I will talk with them this week...

Elliot949 02-08-2015 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 7029292)
Brian (Xeen) recommended 6" speakers on all four corners for my '57. No way to recess them into the kick panels, so I picked up some surface mount pods. They cost more than they should, but they're perfect for what I plan and they have the angle that Chip referenced. I don't have an amp or a sub, so the speakers are only driven by the Clarion head unit which puts out about 50 watts max to each corner (208 watts max, total). I'm using Rockford Fosgate 6.5 Punch full range speakers which should easily handle the modest power out of the radio.

The one thing I can say for certain is that the Autosound radio and kick panel speakers they sell for our trucks aren't worth the $$. You're smart to plan for a better system.

I like the look of that pod... Where did you get it from... I think those would work well behind the seat in the corners...

I am going to have Mike Hagen Antique radios modify my original AM to the AM/FM, Bluetooth, MP3, XM, and RCA jacks for a CD changer... Hope fully he can put more wattage into it ... I am not a "BOOMER" stereo guy but would like to have a real good sound in the truck... For me the less equipment to accomplish that the better...

Elliot949 02-16-2015 03:56 PM

Re: Raymond

I know you are confused... You are in the right place this was formerly called Class Act but now she is called "Raymond"... The name change came because I never liked it being called Class Act to start with and never felt it was fitting of the truck... Raymond is my wife's nick name (long Story)...

Anyway welcome back to Raymond's build thread...

One of the other members on here (67ctener) had another board member (Hellaflush3d- Chad) do some renderings... I gotta tell you I saw those and decided I had to have a set for "Raymond"... I PM'd him and over the weekend he put a set together for me and Guys, if the real truck turns out half as nice as the renderings I am going to be EXTREMELY happy...

Chad is a AWESOME guy and is VERY reasonable... get ahold of him and have him do a set for you...

Let me introduce you to Raymond...

http://images49.fotki.com/v630/photo...dering1-vi.jpg

http://images52.fotki.com/v728/photo...dering2-vi.jpg

http://images43.fotki.com/v458/photo...dering3-vi.jpg

http://images108.fotki.com/v1221/pho...dering4-vi.jpg

http://images44.fotki.com/v1486/phot...dering5-vi.jpg

http://images52.fotki.com/v1566/phot...dering6-vi.jpg

http://images49.fotki.com/v302/photo...dering7-vi.jpg

supercheyenne 02-16-2015 04:43 PM

Wow Dan, that truck is stunning! I can't wait.

Also kinda close to my plans for my '67. So great minds think alike!

BTW, change your 'sig. it says Class Act still. :p

slowcpe 02-16-2015 04:57 PM

The renderings looks great. The name threw me for a loop a bit. My grandfather (Laymond) had a twin brother named Raymond. So obviously I like the name :)

As far as the stereo, the nice thing about these trucks is there is little cabin space, so it won't take much in quality components to sound good. Over the summer I ran a pair of 4" RF Punch speakers in the dash with matching 6x9s in the doors (already cut) going to a RF Prime 75x4 amp running directly off my phone. Sounded better than I expected.

Now that my project is taking a turn, I'm going to relocated speakers into the kick panel and going with good quality 6.5" components (RF more than likely as I get them at cost and like their quality). Not sure yet if I'll mount the tweeters there or up higher. Pretty sure I won't mess with rear speakers as I don't see much for good sound as the seat backs would muffle the sound. I'm also leaning towards doing something with 8" subs behind the seat to round out the sound.

Elliot949 02-16-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowcpe (Post 7051438)
The renderings looks great. The name threw me for a loop a bit. My grandfather (Laymond) had a twin brother named Raymond. So obviously I like the name :)

As far as the stereo, the nice thing about these trucks is there is little cabin space, so it won't take much in quality components to sound good. Over the summer I ran a pair of 4" RF Punch speakers in the dash with matching 6x9s in the doors (already cut) going to a RF Prime 75x4 amp running directly off my phone. Sounded better than I expected.

Now that my project is taking a turn, I'm going to relocated speakers into the kick panel and going with good quality 6.5" components (RF more than likely as I get them at cost and like their quality). Not sure yet if I'll mount the tweeters there or up higher. Pretty sure I won't mess with rear speakers as I don't see much for good sound as the seat backs would muffle the sound. I'm also leaning towards doing something with 8" subs behind the seat to round out the sound.

Thanks for the advise on the sound system...

flashed 02-16-2015 06:50 PM

Love the renderings ,gonna be sharp.

Oregon 1967 GMC 02-16-2015 09:31 PM

Hey this is Raymond and that is really nice.

Cash3481 02-17-2015 01:57 PM

Dan,
Just figured out the name change. I received a bunch of notifications in my email and couldn't figure out the thread it was coming from until I read the posts. Rendering looks great! Id get one blown up and framed. Hang it on the wall as motivation!

Vic1947 02-17-2015 02:51 PM

I agree with everyone else, the rendering looks great! The smooth cowl ought to be interesting. Now comes the fun part... transforming the artist's vision into the real thing. :metal:

preacher anthony 02-17-2015 04:00 PM

What are the wheels? What size do you plan on using?

Elliot949 02-17-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by preacher anthony (Post 7053101)
What are the wheels? What size do you plan on using?

Fronts are 15x8 with 235/70 and rears are 15x10 with 295/50... the front tires are probably going to change to 235/50