The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=640843)

SCOTI 11-10-2015 09:38 AM

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLE 'BURBAN (Post 7370996)
What's your gear ratio?
My 87 had 4:10's in it and 215/85R16 tires.
I had the rear end gears swapped out to 3:54's from DANA/SPICER & also installed a GEARVENDORS O/D unit in it. Final drive in O.D. is now equal to 2:77 rear end gears.
mileage almost doubled on the highway.
And I still have plenty of towing ability.

235/85-16's (31.7)
TH400
4.10's

SCOTI 12-07-2015 10:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well.... I put over 500miles on the clock in the last several weeks. The dually STILL has not had a bath (been over 4yrs now). It's been doing ok but still is not 'done'. I don't like driving it on the highway between the rpms & driveshaft vibration @ speed. Hopefully I'll get it up to my buddys work soon to pop the carrier x-member out for tweaks.

Unfortunately, the reason the miles have accumulated is because I no longer can drive my 90. Still have not spoken to the ins adjuster that is handling my claim so it's been frustrating (this happened the Friday BEFORE Thanksgiving).

aggie91 12-07-2015 11:00 AM

That looks like it took a hard hit...Glad you are OK.

SCOTI 12-07-2015 11:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
'Holiday' pic from this weekends duty.
Picked up a Christmas tree for my x-wife....

MTCK 12-07-2015 11:12 AM

Crew looks great. That sucks about your half ton. Glad you are ok. What's your plan to drop rpm's? OD or regear?

SCOTI 12-07-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 7401547)
Crew looks great. That sucks about your half ton. Glad you are ok. What's your plan to drop rpm's? OD or regear?

OD.
Gearing is fine around town (avg 2k rpms) & works good w/my tire height. I'm going to give Phoenix Transmissions a call & see what they have that might suit my needs.

MTCK 12-07-2015 01:03 PM

I love the ratio spacing on the 4L80 vs the big 2-3 jump with the 700r4's I've had. Works much better when towing a heavy load. They are proud of them, though.

SCOTI 12-07-2015 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCK (Post 7401662)
I love the ratio spacing on the 4L80 vs the big 2-3 jump with the 700r4's I've had. Works much better when towing a heavy load. They are proud of them, though.

I agree..... No 700r4 for this application. It will be a 4l80e or getting a Gear Vendors set-up.

bodydropped68 12-07-2015 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 7401706)
I agree..... No 700r4 for this application. It will be a 4l80e or getting a Gear Vendors set-up.

My 2 cents Gear vendor would be the way to go :metal:

lolife99 12-07-2015 02:22 PM

Hate to see your '90 tore up like that.
Hope the insurance company takes care of you.

ruffrida2005 12-07-2015 10:50 PM

I know it's not for your applications, but would a gearvendors be good for a bodied dually? My truck looks just like yours Scoti, same color. I'm on the fence between a 4l80 and gearvendor.

Advanced Design 12-08-2015 12:27 AM

I bought a 4L80E for $700 for my cc dually and will use either Chevrolet Performance Parts control system or the one from TCI.

Here is a good thread on that swap using the TCI controller.http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537481

Jonboy 12-08-2015 12:56 AM

I've heard good things about the TCI controller too. Sucks about your DD, but glad you are OK.

slimneverdies 12-08-2015 01:03 AM

I went with the 4l80e and tci controller for my Dually but haven't driven it yet. I did drive a 91 suburban with a gearvendor and in my opinion has a lot left to be desired...

64chevtruck 12-15-2015 02:56 AM

Wow, I really like your truck, that is the cleanest pancake ive ever seen, Thanks for posting the info,

I went through the whole thread and must have missed if you raised your steering box and did tie rod notches or not>?

Im trying to figure out if I should pancake or Z,,,

Happy Hollidays

SCOTI 12-15-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64chevtruck (Post 7410921)
Wow, I really like your truck, that is the cleanest pancake ive ever seen, Thanks for posting the info,

I went through the whole thread and must have missed if you raised your steering box and did tie rod notches or not>?

Im trying to figure out if I should pancake or Z,,,

Happy Hollidays

Stock steering w/the driver side a-arm notched for clearance.

SCOTI 12-15-2015 10:33 AM

Guess I'll update while here.

The 90 is still idle. Turns out what I felt was correct.... the guy didn't have insurance. Seems based on the dates of the expired paperwork I did see was they insure the car for the brief period required for registration purposes & then drive around w/o it the remainder of the year (active end of March to beginning of July 2014; active end of March to begining of July '15). I see a pattern there.

So my buddy @ the collision shop has a connection & is looking to see if we can get some sheetmetal for as cheap as possible. Going to need a bumper, brackets, valance, air deflector, fender, hood, grille, inner fender, fan shroud, batt tray, headlight, & several of the wiring connections. Looks like the condensor & its tubes might be salvagable.

The dually has left me on the side of the road twice now (conveniently in the rain each time). Lost the water pump pulley studs on Thanksgiving Day (too short so they came loose despite use of Lock-Tite) & now the pulley on the alt. The alt was a 1-wire unit I got from Summit. I had it rebuilt by a local place so it was like OE allowing easy replacement in the event of failure. I guess they tightened the pulley too much & compromised the threads (they're stripped). I got an Oreillys/rebuilt unit in there but now have a serious mystery squeal (doesn't appear to be from the new alt).

This alt failure happened after leaving the shop Sat afternoon where I started the carrier bearing mod process. I'm going to cut out the center of the x-member, fab a new/removeable center plate, & flip the support bearing 180°. This should be much closer to optimum & allow me to shim it up in my attempt to minimize the vibrations. The rubber support bearing has definitely exceeded its service life as well as the u-joints.

So.... gotta determine the accessory squeal (going to pop on a fresh serp belt & idler pulley today & then start making a new center section for the carrier bearing. Then I'll get the d-shafts rebuilt & balanced.

I really need my 90. It sucks to not be able to have the dually down for an extended period to properly sort through these things. I do not like being in fear every time I drive it.

64chevtruck 12-15-2015 02:25 PM

Thank you Scoti. I'm pancaking mine and doing the cm mod that 75 dually did to the cm spring pockets. It's out and i cant find a reason not to.

aggie91 12-16-2015 12:43 PM

Scoti - Sent you a text message yesterday evening. Not sure if you got it. I have a right side headlight assy for an '88 up truck. Its yours if you want it for the cost of getting it to you.

SCOTI 12-16-2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 7412401)
Scoti - Sent you a text message yesterday evening. Not sure if you got it. I have a right side headlight assy for an '88 up truck. Its yours if you want it for the cost of getting it to you.

Yes sir, I got your text. Mine was converted to the single headlight set-up previously. Not sure what it will get/need now until I nail down the parts source (make/year model).

I was @ work late last night searching c-list for a donor & was going to get back to you today. Thanks for the offer!

SCOTI 12-16-2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 64chevtruck (Post 7411341)
Thank you Scoti. I'm pancaking mine and doing the cm mod that 75 dually did to the cm spring pockets. It's out and i cant find a reason not to.

I don't see the need to cut up the x-members spring pockets unless you're trying to lay the body out (cutting the lower portion of the frame off).

Hankster 12-28-2015 01:38 AM

Dang shame about your 90 looked like a clean ride. Hope you get everything figured out.

SCOTI 12-29-2015 12:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
No real progress on my 90. Had a lead on a lwb 93 on C-list that was the same color (patina & all) as mine but could never make contact w/the seller. I got a hood so far but still trying to get a parts truck so I have everything needed.

The dually has been relatively trouble free since the alternator incident. I've been working on the solution for my driveline vibration @ highway speed & hopefully have the solution.

I came up w/a plan for an adjustable carrier bearing mount vs the original plan of just flipping it 180°. The problem w/just flipping it was getting the front shaft & the carrier square after flipping & I had some spacial concerns. I was trying to sort through solutions & came up w/the idea of making a center section that could pivot fore/aft to help w/the alignment. Not wanting to drag it out I did some internet searching for an 'adjustable carrier bearing mount' & found a product that looked like it would be more 'engineered' vs what I could make w/hand tools.

I ordered a unit & it arrived Christmas Eve. It gave me the basic functionality that I wanted & I just modified it to work for my application. Now the center support is flipped, it's adjustable fore/aft 2", & it can be raised 4" (when bottomed out in the bracket, it's within .500" of stock placement).

I have all the fab work done now so it's just measuring for the location of the mounting holes, drilling the holes, cutting the OE x-member center out, & bolting the adjustable part in. Going to try & get over to my buddys work today to get it on the lift for the measurements & then again tomorrow for the cut & swap.

Fingers crossed it works as planned.....

DblTrbl 12-29-2015 12:38 PM

That should work great. Hitting that angle correctly seems to be the trick. I measured 1/4" from front edge to rear on mine. I like the adjustable feature on that...

MTCK 12-29-2015 12:45 PM

That looks super slick. Who makes it?