The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Beth's tribute truck. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820543)

Classic Heartbeat 08-22-2023 07:50 PM

Re: Beth's tribute truck.

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a while since I posted about this build. I have been moving forward with it, however painfully slow it seems. I mounted the core support, stainless steel battery tray assembly, headlights, and aluminum LS conversion radiator.

Classic Heartbeat 08-22-2023 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
There were a couple hiccups along the way of coarse. I think it is Beth messing around with me from above.. :lol: It took two radiators to get one that fit and of coarse it was an argument with the vendor to try to get them to replace it. They took it back but did not replace it. So I did like I probably should have done at first and got one from Summit Racing and it fit perfectly. Now I have to design a dual fan assembly for it. Anyway here are a couple pictures showing the color in the sun..

best view 08-22-2023 08:32 PM

Keep going :mm:

Ol Blue K20 08-23-2023 10:51 AM

Looking great, I really like the color.

jumpsoffrock 08-23-2023 09:51 PM

I too think that color looks great.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-23-2023 11:53 PM

Looking great Wes. Something tells me that color doesn't come cheap.

Richard 08-24-2023 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 9233024)
There were a couple hiccups along the way of coarse. I think it is Beth messing around with me from above.. :lol: It took two radiators to get one that fit and of coarse it was an argument with the vendor to try to get them to replace it. They took it back but did not replace it. So I did like I probably should have done at first and got one from Summit Racing and it fit perfectly. Now I have to design a dual fan assembly for it. Anyway here are a couple pictures showing the color in the sun..

Maybe take a look at my build for what I did on my fan for a more modern option. While I plan to use the stock ECM for pwm control. There is a standalone controller available. Where did the battery tray come from?

Classic Heartbeat 08-25-2023 12:58 AM

Thank you guys. Ya, the paint isn't cheap.. About 1400.00 for what you see witch is about a gallon sprayable. This build was never about the cost, but about spending time remembering Beth. I wanted to build her a beautiful truck, however life happened and she passed away before I was able to finish it. I hope to soon be firing up the engine. :metal:

Classic Heartbeat 09-21-2023 08:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been working on "Tribute" truck again and I would like to thank Pete Humphrey for donating the emergency brake cable hardware so I could finish the install of the brake cables. Pete is a great guy I have known through these boards for a long time and has a great heart! Anyway, here are some pictures of the install. Anyone needing pictures of a 4x4 brake cable installation should copy these. I can't find them anywhere else on the web. Pete if you are reading this I talk to Beth while working on her truck, (with my heart of coarse) and I told her you provided the stuff I needed to do the install. You know what it means to me and I am forever grateful to you.

Classic Heartbeat 09-21-2023 09:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics

CKfan 09-21-2023 09:29 PM

In your last brake photo:
I haven't seen that spring in place or used before. Whether it is factory or not, it is a great idea. How long is the spring (relaxed) and where did you source it?
Neither of my K's have it and it would definitely help pull the pedal back when disengaging. Will also help keep my set up from rattling against the exhaust.

DeadheadNM 09-22-2023 07:19 AM

Wes the building is looking great and she’s surely proud. I’m glad I could help you with the build and appreciate all you’ve done for me over the years. Please let me know if any other parts needs arise.

67C10Step 09-22-2023 07:52 AM

Looking fantastic and that purple POPS! All progress is that, progress. One thing at a time. Keep us posted, this one is gonna be fantastic.

Classic Heartbeat 09-22-2023 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKfan (Post 9243299)
In your last brake photo:
I haven't seen that spring in place or used before. Whether it is factory or not, it is a great idea. How long is the spring (relaxed) and where did you source it?
Neither of my K's have it and it would definitely help pull the pedal back when disengaging. Will also help keep my set up from rattling against the exhaust.

I have four of them in stock. $8.95 each. I will try to upload them into my website so you can buy a one or 2 if you like. Relaxed length is 7" from end of hook to end of hook.

CKfan 09-22-2023 02:00 PM

2 it will be! Thanks, I will navigate your site.

1970cstblazer 09-24-2023 09:11 AM

My 1970 Blazer has two 5/16"-24 nuts on the end of the parking brake adjuster rod. I'm fairly sure they were installed there at the factory.

CKfan 09-24-2023 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 9243447)
I have four of them in stock. $8.95 each. I will try to upload them into my website so you can buy a one or 2 if you like. Relaxed length is 7" from end of hook to end of hook.

Already received! Wow, that was fast. They are great, thanks.

CKfan 09-24-2023 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for showing your build. Great story and I even picked up some proper equipment knowledge. I had wondered why that treaded rod had a hole in it. Now my E-pedal pops back instantly.
Thanks again

Classic Heartbeat 09-27-2023 08:28 PM

Happy it worked out for you. I had hoped some of the 4x4 guys might find this part of my thread useful. There just isn't anything out there, at least that is correct. WES

Mine has 2 nuts also. I was just in a hurry and couldn't find the second one. :lol:

Classic Heartbeat 10-06-2023 05:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I would try out the 3 point seat belts I had stashed away for the truck.

samkost 10-06-2023 06:28 PM

Looks great Wes.
Beths truck is so distinctive, just beautiful work!
Looks, comfort and function are excellent with these seat belts.
Thanks for the updates :metal:

Classic Heartbeat 10-22-2023 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I took a trip down to Oregon today to pick up a set of new Amp Power Steps for the Tribute Truck. I figures they would be both cool and appropriate for this build. She always loved driving the first short bed 4X4 that we had many years ago. Even though it was a pain in the butt for her to get into. She was only 5'2" and that truck made her feel as big as everyone else when driving it. Little did I know that it would lead to this build so many years later. Like a lot of women she would hold her wants and desires to put everyone else in front of her. It was only after I sold one of the other short bed 4X4s I had prior to this one that our youngest son told me she claimed it as her own. I had know idea and felt lower than a snake's belly when he told me. I immediately searched, found and drove over 600 miles to by this one that I would build just for her. Sadly I got sick and slowed the build down and after that she fell ill for the last time and God called her home. Everything in this build now is being done with her first and foremost in thoughts and planning. Everything from the colors it's being painted to the things I am putting on it. Beth would love the steps because it would make it easier for her to get into.

LT7A 10-23-2023 12:39 PM

Great work on this. I haven't checked in for awhile and it's coming together so nicely. I'm sorry to hear about your mom and that you've had to work your way through that and covid since I last checked in. Great progress and I respect that you have Beth in mind for each detail as you put the truck together.

'68OrangeSunshine 11-17-2023 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat (Post 9243447)

Hi Wes,
Do you have any more of these springs? The OEM one is back on after a root canal of a new front E-Brake cable job, but it's 52 years old, and part of one side's hook is rusted away. I don't trust it.
Shipping to 85704.