The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Kabwe's aka Bam's build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=440079)

xpickup 08-03-2011 02:17 PM

Re: Kabwe's aka Bam's build

Kabwe, I just had a great idea. You would have no shipping costs by driving there to get it next time when you need it and then you could stop in and visit. HAHA It would be nice to visit with some of the great people on this site.

Shannon

Kabwe 08-03-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpickup (Post 4825809)
Kabwe, I just had a great idea. You would have no shipping costs by driving there to get it next time when you need it and then you could stop in and visit. HAHA It would be nice to visit with some of the great people on this site.

Shannon

Yeah man I know what you mean. I wish a lot guys on here lived near me so I would have a bunch of car guys to hang with. I need people around me that share the same sickness normal people don't understand.lol I'm not ashamed to stand up and tell tell world "My is Bam Kabwe and I'm a caroholic".lol

xpickup 08-03-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4825947)
Yeah man I know what you mean. I wish a lot guys on here lived near me so I would have a bunch of car guys to hang with. I need people around me that share the same sickness normal people don't understand.lol I'm not ashamed to stand up and tell tell world "My is Bam Kabwe and I'm a caroholic".lol

Kabwe, That was very funny. But sad to say I am with you.

Shannon

VDOG 08-05-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4825947)
share the same sickness normal people don't understand.lol I'm not ashamed to stand up and tell tell world "My is Bam Kabwe and I'm a caroholic".lol

You mean my name is Bam Kabwe and im a troublemaker!!
And yes we all know you have more than a caroholic sickness. But your an overall good guy so we ignore the days you forget your meds. :lol:

Kabwe 08-05-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4829862)
You mean my name is Bam Kabwe and im a troublemaker!!
And yes we all know you have more than a caroholic sickness. But your an overall good guy so we ignore the days you forget your meds. :lol:

Oh okay now I'm the troublemaker.lol I do forget my meds sometimes, I didn't think you could tell.:lol:

Rods57 08-07-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4829920)
Oh okay now I'm the troublemaker.lol I do forget my meds sometimes, I didn't think you could tell.:lol:

well welcome into your own club, i think you will like it here...

VDOG 08-08-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4829920)

LOL!!

The cab looks great. Is the bed done, and if so, whats left before you can add some paint?

Kabwe 08-08-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4834604)
LOL!!

The cab looks great. Is the bed done, and if so, whats left before you can add some paint?

No the bed is not done Mr. Smarty Paints and a hell of a lot is left before paint. This is not Earl Scheib.lol

On the real I have a lot of work to do, and I took a break this weekend and went to the Signal Hill Car Show. BTW I saw your buddy with the beautiful red blazer there. He is a cool dude.

VDOG 08-08-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4834648)
No the bed is not done Mr. Smarty Paints and a hell of a lot is left before paint. This is not Earl Scheib.lol

On the real I have a lot of work to do, and I took a break this weekend and went to the Signal Hill Car Show. BTW I saw your buddy with the beautiful red blazer there. He is a cool dude.

Ok I was waiting on the date for that show. Did not see anything posted about it. Great!

Kabwe 08-08-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4834694)
Ok I was waiting on the date for that show. Did not see anything posted about it. Great!

Nope a buddy of mine just picked me up and said let's go. So I dropped what I was doing and went. It was pretty nice.

VDOG 08-08-2011 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4834781)
Nope a buddy of mine just picked me up and said let's go. So I dropped what I was doing and went. It was pretty nice.

It was talked about on the SoCal Checkin page, but did not see a date. In fact I asked about it on Friday.
Anyway, great work on your truck.

Kabwe 08-08-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4834694)

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4834796)
It was talked about on the SoCal Checkin page, but did not see a date. In fact I asked about it on Friday.
Anyway, great work on your truck.

Man if I would have known you wanted to go I would have swung by and picked you up. See that's what happens when you don't let a brotha know what your up to.

VDOG 08-19-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4834860)
Man if I would have known you wanted to go I would have swung by and picked you up. See that's what happens when you don't let a brotha know what your up to.

Ok so are you going to the El Segundo show tomorrow?

Kabwe 09-04-2011 12:04 PM

Hey Guys,
I just wanted to update you as to why I have not been posting to my build thread lately. I been busy working on a 1945 Chevy. Here some pics of me installing a Mustang 2 Suspension. Its in really good condition. Its amazing how these old beast hold up. Isn't this thing cool, I wish it was mine.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6071/...6f577a61e9.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6081/...a0327af4b8.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6187/...2a17673f00.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/...1ca18a97bf.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/...16efec5574.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6078/...b6a3f2504e.jpg

The owner of the truck told me he had it in the shop for 4 years to have the Mustang 2 installed and after 4 years all that was done as boxing the frame (and that was not a good job). I can't believe how people take advantage of other people, especially older people. Anyway he was shocked I did it in a weekend, but its nothing but a Mustang 2 Kit. It looks like I'm unknowingly going into business helping the older generation build their hotrods without being taking advantage of.lol But I like helping them so its cool, now we've got to do something about that rear.lol Its a cool old truck I thought you guys would like to see it.

ratty 46 09-04-2011 12:19 PM

I'm digg'n your open air garage ... nice work.

Ratty 46

Kabwe 09-04-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratty 46 (Post 4881137)
I'm digg'n your open air garage ... nice work.

Ratty 46

That's his house not mine.lol He has a really nice garage that can fit about 4 cars. But he turned it into a wood working shop when he retired. A lot of equipment is in there.lol

Kim57 09-04-2011 12:40 PM

Very cool old truck. You should get him on here and start a build thread with it.
Kim

Kabwe 09-04-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 4881169)
Very cool old truck. You should get him on here and start a build thread with it.
Kim

Kim don't you know that a lot of old guys are afraid of computers.lol I asked him to email me these pics because they were taken with his camera and he told me I'd have to wait until his daughter visits him because he does not know how.lol

If I told him to do a build thread on this site his head would explode.lol

sgtusmc 09-04-2011 01:57 PM

You never cease to amaze me with your skills and willingness to help others. You are a dying breed my friend!

JML55 09-04-2011 02:33 PM

Nice work man, that's what happens when you're a good man you don't mind helping others.

R.A.D 09-04-2011 03:43 PM

one good turn kabwe

Kabwe 09-04-2011 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtusmc (Post 4881250)
You never cease to amaze me with your skills and willingness to help others. You are a dying breed my friend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JML55 (Post 4881298)
Nice work man, that's what happens when you're a good man you don't mind helping others.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.A.D (Post 4881386)
one good turn kabwe

Don't get me wrong guys.

I do get paid for my services. I just don't take advantage of anybody or over charge them. I do the best job I can and will throw in freebees if they are good people. I end up throwing in freebees all the time because I will not work on a buttheads car.

And as far as helping others that's why we are placed on the planet to be cool people, at least I try to be but sometime other human being make it so hard.lol

Rods57 09-04-2011 10:42 PM

that's how to share the love my friend. looks good, its low now cant wait until it has some weight on it.

BC Toy chest 09-05-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabwe (Post 4881108)
The owner of the truck told me he had it in the shop for 4 years to have the Mustang 2 installed and after 4 years all that was done as boxing the frame (and that was not a good job).

That's terrible !! The owner of the shop needs to be dragged out back and ..... Sorry I got carried away.... Any how, thankfully you are gonna take care of it. Are you going to have to redo the boxing as well? Ya know that happens more often then a lot folks know. I hear all kinds of horror stories of people making down payments, come back 9 months later and the vehicle hasn't even been touched or cheap materials were used.
Well keep the pictures coming, sure do want to follow this build.

Kabwe 09-05-2011 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 4882043)
that's how to share the love my friend. looks good, its low now cant wait until it has some weight on it.

Yeah it will be low he has to figure out what he wants to do in the rear, but he was time. There is so much work to do. I will not be doing all of it, I still have to build my stuff.lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Toy chest
That's terrible !! The owner of the shop needs to be dragged out back and ..... Sorry I got carried away.... Any how, thankfully you are gonna take care of it. Are you going to have to redo the boxing as well? Ya know that happens more often then a lot folks know. I hear all kinds of horror stories of people making down payments, come back 9 months later and the vehicle hasn't even been touched or cheap materials were used.
Well keep the pictures coming, sure do want to follow this build.

Calm down man its over now he has his truck back and his suspension is installed so he's happy.lol

No I did not redo the boxing it was functional and strong it just was not how I would have done it.

R.A.D 09-05-2011 07:06 AM

keep on kabwe keep on

VDOG 09-05-2011 02:53 PM

"I'm unknowingly going into business helping the older generation build their hotrods"

You do know im very close to retirement age. And I'd gladly pay a young whipper snapper like you to help me with my truck. LOL

Had to cause trouble. Your a good dude, thus why people ask for your advice and opinion.

Kim57 09-05-2011 07:36 PM

I wish I could afford to pay Kabwe to work on mine but can barely afford myself.
Kim

Rods57 09-05-2011 08:27 PM

We could turn it into a reality show where he takes other peoples crap and turns it into something nice. We call it Bam's builds or from horse turd to cherry.....what do ya think?

Indian113 09-05-2011 08:38 PM

" The Truck Whisper"

solidaxel 09-05-2011 10:26 PM

Kabwe, thanks for looking out and helping us older folks, we look up to real craftsmanship and friendship.

Thank You

Kabwe 09-06-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VDOG (Post 4883037)
"I'm unknowingly going into business helping the older generation build their hotrods"

You do know im very close to retirement age. And I'd gladly pay a young whipper snapper like you to help me with my truck. LOL

The rules are that you have to be retired and a cool person. You do not meet the requirements my friend.lol

Just kidding, how is everything going for you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 4883492)
I wish I could afford to pay Kabwe to work on mine but can barely afford myself.
Kim

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rods57 (Post 4883600)
We could turn it into a reality show where he takes other peoples crap and turns it into something nice. We call it Bam's builds or from horse turd to cherry.....what do ya think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian113 (Post 4883635)
" The Truck Whisper"

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 4883906)
Kabwe, thanks for looking out and helping us older folks, we look up to real craftsmanship and friendship.

Thank You

Thanks guys, but you guys don't need my help your projects look better than mine.

BTW I was able to get some work done on my truck this weekend. I had to redo my c-notch because once I got it to ride height I notice some interference. So I decided to just redo the whole thing. I made this c-notches, it gave me a reason to use the tig welder.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6191/...57120c95c1.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6193/...9b85a8e0dd.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6083/...cd231dbc9b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6068/...5ed43ae1fe.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6202/...a4054018f8.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6065/...49570e8ff8.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6185/...0584539fb4.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6207/...8e98ab2094.jpg

Kim57 09-06-2011 10:14 AM

Looks good Bam. You should have a lot of clearance now.
Kim

john_p 09-06-2011 10:47 AM

with your skillset you could have just bought the glass and a dip stick, best single man build i have seen in... forever.. loave the car as well.. like a lot of us old guys, i miss mine..

Kabwe 09-06-2011 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim57 (Post 4884488)
Looks good Bam. You should have a lot of clearance now.
Kim

Thanks Kim and yes now I have lots of clearance, but as always every action causes a reaction I will now have to raise my bed a little, about a inch or a inch and a half.
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_p (Post 4884539)
with your skillset you could have just bought the glass and a dip stick, best single man build i have seen in... forever.. loave the car as well.. like a lot of us old guys, i miss mine..

Thank you sir, I appreciate the compliment.

sgtusmc 09-06-2011 02:47 PM

Looks good man, real good!

Kabwe 09-06-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtusmc (Post 4884916)
Looks good man, real good!

Thanks man and how is your wife's build going? Also how is the new puppy and dog getting along now?

BC Toy chest 09-06-2011 08:25 PM

OHHH MY GOODNESS THAT'S A LOT OF WORK !!!:sumo: You just help me with a regular old C notch when you come over to my house. Thank you very much.:lol:

candyx 09-06-2011 09:33 PM

looking good Bam,so between the tig and mig which one do you like the best for ease of use?

Kabwe 09-06-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC Toy chest (Post 4885396)
OHHH MY GOODNESS THAT'S A LOT OF WORK !!!:sumo: You just help me with a regular old C notch when you come over to my house. Thank you very much.:lol:

LOL. BC you don't have to do it this way, I only redid mine because I wanted a lot more clearance and I had this idea popping in my head.lol We will do yours the way I had it before with some variation of course.lol When you are ready let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyx (Post 4885580)
looking good Bam,so between the tig and mig which one do you like the best for ease of use?

Ease of use is mig hands down, but for real delicate work I love the tig and for sheetmetal fab and repair tig just can't be beat in my opinion. Now that I have a tig all my body panels will be tig welded. The bead is soft and low and you can metal finish (hammer and dolly work and less grinding) to perfection. But this is just my opinion it does not mean anything.

Like I was saying ease of use is mig, but don't let that stop you. Tig welding is not as hard as people make it out to be. Its just like any other skill it just takes practice. The more you do it the better you get.

I need them both because as with the c-notch above I fab the notches using a tig, but I welded them in with a mig because I was welding outside and tig is way more sensitive than mig when it comes to your welding environment and metal cleanliness.