The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=463698)

dubie 03-30-2013 12:10 PM

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

damn dude, you're really hauling ass now. The paint turned out nice and smooth, is that all rattle can paint? I'm loving that newer chrome bumper too!! I bet it feels good to see it all coming together eh?

Dan in Pasadena 03-30-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5980457)
dan

when ya get to the vent windows and need some help - holla - ive done a few of them - not difficult - a bit time consuming but not bad . also ya may want to throw some sound deading stuff in from home despot or lowes

Oh, thanks! I have the rivet kit already, the vent glass, and the window felt & anti rattle strips already. Just trying to resist my urge to buy chrome window & vent frames....but I know I can't!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daze57 (Post 5980461)
truck is lookin real good !!!!

'm just trying to keep moving. Telling myself to do SOMEthing every week.
Thanks. I

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubie (Post 5980467)
damn dude, you're really hauling ass now. The paint turned out nice and smooth, is that all rattle can paint? I'm loving that newer chrome bumper too!! I bet it feels good to see it all coming together eh?

Yes, all rattle can crap. It's not that smooth up close. With the tiny patterns a spray bomb throws its nearly impossible not to have "stripes". I plan to wet sand the hood and fender tops and give them a re-spray to offset that soon.

Ok, so today's work:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps6f5ef862.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 03-30-2013 10:17 PM

Yeah, yeah I couldn't help myself. I went to ask if they had an off white or almond in those letters. They said only black, white or chrome. Being the immature clown I am (at age 58!) I had to try the chrome. I like it. I don't mind if you guys say you don't.
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps69581947.jpg
To be honest I love this look. I shouldn't. The truck is nowhere near worthy aesthetically...but I can't help myself.

...and the "slippery slope" of "while I'm there" made me realize the new mirror heads made the arms look like hell. Which in turn made the door handles look terrible:lol:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psa745969c.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psae3f0673.jpg

Dan in Pasadena 03-30-2013 10:32 PM

I'm trying to decide IF I like the scratch guards or not. Feel free to offer an opinion:

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...psfc17564c.jpg

http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps601ba215.jpg

I THINK these trucks never came with these scratch guards, but maybe the Cameos did(?) Anyway, they strike me as old timey, but for some reason they also strike me as vaguely low rider-ish. I've got no problem with low riders I'm just not into them for myself.
They may be too much.

G&R's57GMC 03-30-2013 10:59 PM

Well Dan its looking good ;)

The door guards were an accessory from the dealer.

If you don't like them then send them to me :)

Dan in Pasadena 03-30-2013 11:04 PM

So you think it'd look better with?

G&R's57GMC 03-30-2013 11:27 PM

Na, not on YOUR truck , ( tongue in cheek ) they would look better on MY '57 :)

Since you got the new jewelry thing going keep them on. Looks Great !

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 5981690)
...keep them on. Looks Great !

They were just setting on there for the photo. I've got to drill holes to mount them. UGH, more friggin holes?

My truck probably weighs 100 lbs less than it did new with all the holes drilled in it through the years. WHAT was it with guys drilling holes in their trucks?

Number 9 03-31-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5981746)
They were just setting on there for the photo. I've got to drill holes to mount them. UGH, more friggin holes?

My truck probably weighs 100 lbs less than it did new with all the holes drilled in it through the years. WHAT was it with guys drilling holes in their trucks?

Save the drill bit for a while.

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 9 (Post 5981776)
Save the drill bit for a while.

I intend to. So your opinion is "Nah"?

Kim57 03-31-2013 10:43 AM

I think what you're doing fits the style of your truck very nicely.
Kim

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 11:31 AM

Alright so my first "Yes" on the scratch guards! Thanks Kim!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rednek13x 03-31-2013 12:00 PM

I like the scratch guards, never seen them before. Looks GOod!

Rude Dude 03-31-2013 12:43 PM

TF Trucks don't have much chrome any little bit adds character, I like the handle protectors they look good!

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 03:28 PM

So I've got three positives. I may put it on with some two sided tape to sort of live with it for a day or two.
Posted via Mobile Device

Daze57 03-31-2013 03:33 PM

i like the guards also -- dont see too many trucks with them - and i agree with kim

G&R's57GMC 03-31-2013 03:36 PM

What ? 3 positive ! Mine didn't count ? You have 4 Positive and didn't even know it. :)

Number 9 03-31-2013 03:47 PM

I love every thing you have done so far but in my 75 years have never seen guards like that an a tf, I like the plain better but I know and respect every one's taste. I know not every one would like what I have done to my 59.

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G&R's57GMC (Post 5982829)
What ? 3 positive ! Mine didn't count ? You have 4 Positive and didn't even know it. :)

It's a LANDSLIDE! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 9 (Post 5982852)
I love every thing you have done so far...

Thank you. (Do I hear a giant "but" coming?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 9 (Post 5982852)
...but in my 75 years have never seen guards like that an a tf...)

I've only ever seen them on Cameos and on low rider themed trucks...which is why I mentioned I'm not so sure about them. I like the look but I don't want it to look like a '58 convertible Impala with a continental kit and dual antennas! - not that there's anything wrong with them! :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

Number 9 03-31-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5982914)
Thank you. (Do I hear a giant "but" coming?)

I've only ever seen them on Cameos and on low rider themed trucks...which is why I mentioned I'm not so sure about them. I like the look but I don't want it to look like a '58 convertible Impala with a continental kit and dual antennas! - not that there's anything wrong with them! :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

I had a 55 cameo. Fun truck.

Russell Ashley 03-31-2013 05:40 PM

Dan, There's no such thing as too much chrome, IMO. Put the scratch guards on. You might as well go ahead and pull the trigger on the chrome window frames too while you are at it. You know you want them, LOL.

G&R's57GMC 03-31-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 5983040)
Dan, There's no such thing as too much chrome, IMO. Put the scratch guards on. You might as well go ahead and pull the trigger on the chrome window frames too while you are at it. You know you want them, LOL.

Heck Dan, At this rate you'll have a DeLuxe Cab.

Of course that would mean adding stainless windshield trim, and that will take replacing the weather strip.
Then theres the chrome side window trim and vent window trim.

Of course the grill and head light rings would need to be chrome, And to make it look right the paint would have to be redone nice and shiny and then theres the interior to be done ....

BUT you could just stop at the door handle protectors and call it good :)

Dan in Pasadena 03-31-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 5983040)
... Put the scratch guards on. You might as well go ahead and pull the trigger on the chrome window frames too while you are at it. You know you want them, LOL.

Oh man Russ, you're like a drug pusher!:lol:

I ALREADY have chrome headlight rings and always planned to put in a chrome grill. I replaced the massive diamond plate rear bumper with the repop chrome one right after I bought the truck.

I've been tormenting myself with the idea of chrome window & vent frames ...and you're right: I DO want them.

As to the chrome IN the rubber around the big rear window? I'd love to have that but it seems everyone says it is a beeyatch to get the trim in without bending it. Last, the trim on the body that goes around the cab? I tend to like it but worry about putting all the extra holes in the cab...and of course is all this stuff just TOO DAMNED MUCH??

ratty 46 04-01-2013 12:22 AM

Dig the build ... read from first post & enjoyed the ride ... keep it up.

R46

Dan in Pasadena 04-01-2013 03:26 AM

Thanks for doing that R46. It's all just to keep track of my changes over time but I'm glad someone else gets some enjoyment from it too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 04-01-2013 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5983494)
Oh man Russ, you're like a drug pusher!:lol:

I ALREADY have chrome headlight rings and always planned to put in a chrome grill. I replaced the massive diamond plate rear bumper with the repop chrome one right after I bought the truck.

I've been tormenting myself with the idea of chrome window & vent frames ...and you're right: I DO want them.

As to the chrome IN the rubber around the big rear window? I'd love to have that but it seems everyone says it is a beeyatch to get the trim in without bending it. Last, the trim on the body that goes around the cab? I tend to like it but worry about putting all the extra holes in the cab...and of course is all this stuff just TOO DAMNED MUCH??

Dan, I must be taking some of my own drugs, LOL. I already ordered tinted door glass with chrome frames. I also ordered new door handles and scratch guards. It's all supposed to be here by this coming weekend.

Dan in Pasadena 04-01-2013 11:11 AM

Who did you order from? I'll be curious about the quality of those window frames when you get them. I KNOW I'm gonna go chrome now!!! You'll post about them & the install, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 04-01-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5984551)
Who did you order from? I'll be curious about the quality of those window frames when you get them. I KNOW I'm gonna go chrome now!!! You'll post about them & the install, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

I ordered the door glass at a local place called Georgia Classic Parts, along with the window channel and belt moulding kit. It's all supposed to be here later this week. I ordered the outside door handles, the lock kit, and the scratch guards this past Friday from BowTie Bits so hopefully that will be here soon also. I need new window regulators too and I'm still debating on whether to replace them with new manual ones, or go with power windows from Specialty Power Windows. I'll make that decision after I pay for what I already have ordered, LOL.

Dan in Pasadena 04-01-2013 01:23 PM

I plan to EVENTUALLY put in power windows but its no priority now. I like those switches that let you use your existing window crank as the Up/Down button. They're pricey but then so is the entire job.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Please give me a heads up if you run into problem and especially how you get past them!
Posted via Mobile Device

Rude Dude 04-01-2013 02:28 PM

Dan
what also works and is available in different colors is large shrink tubing. I used it on my 1986 C10 stepside just remember to put two layers on cause in about 8 to 10 years it will start to wear, but easy enough to cut off and redo.
:ito:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5979268)
Ok, so today I took "G&R's 57 GMC"'s suggestion in post #384 above, stopped at the local bicycle shop to ask for an inner tube out of their trash. They said, "Take as many as you want!" I only took one and did THIS with it:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps8dbdaf2f.jpg
Yeah, kind of meh.... But the ones the shops sell don't look much different. It is what it is I suppose.

I also finally got my Craigslist-find front bumper painted on the reverse side and mounted. Thereby finishing the recent front end work:
http://i832.photobucket.com/albums/z...ps6ecf3abf.jpg
Hell of an improvement to me.

In preparation for installing door weatherstripping, tomorrow I clean out the door interiors (loaded with crap), Ospho overnight then paint with KBS...maybe Rust Reformer; depends how bad it looks after treatment.

Dan in Pasadena 04-02-2013 11:40 AM

Thanks Rudy. Yeah, Low Elco mentioned large diameter shrink wrap back a couple pages on post #397. I've never seen any that big. I think I'll stop at the same bike shop today and ask for the inner tube off a road bike - much smaller diameter. But I'll keep the shrink tube idea in mind if I'm still not happy with it. Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dan in Pasadena 04-03-2013 01:46 PM

Pulled the front bumper, grill and latch panel off again (DOH!) - but for a good reason.

One of you FINE GENTLEMEN (I'll let him identify himself, if he wants to) PM'd me with a very generous offer for a new, largely unused repop chrome grill. Since I've revealed myself as a bit of a chrome whore (kinda like a crack whore but apprently MORE addictive!) I am going for it.

Little Devil on my shoulder: (dan.....you NEED a new chrome hood badge.....)

Pic's on the weekend!

Number 9 04-03-2013 02:00 PM

Life is good.

Dan in Pasadena 04-03-2013 03:38 PM

Ha ha, you're absolutely right!

I'm healthy and have (a few) dollars to spend in my personal toy.

Life IS good
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell Ashley 04-03-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena (Post 5984782)
I plan to EVENTUALLY put in power windows but its no priority now. I like those switches that let you use your existing window crank as the Up/Down button. They're pricey but then so is the entire job.

Looking forward to seeing your work. Please give me a heads up if you run into problem and especially how you get past them!
Posted via Mobile Device

I like those switches that use an original window handle too, but I don't see any provision with those to let you control the passenger side window from the driver side. You are correct, they are pricey. I'll probably just get the kit with switches and harness from Specialty Power Windows. The new door handles and scratch guards came today and they look great. The handles have a CounterParts label under the BowTie Bits label, probably the same thing most vendors are selling.

That lust for chrome might be an age thing, LOL. I have a serious case of it too. I just missed a pair of 57 hood rockets on CL for $200 and I'm kicking myself over that.

Dan in Pasadena 04-03-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 5989381)
I like those switches that use an original window handle too, but I don't see any provision with those to let you control the passenger side window from the driver side.

Hmmm, had never considered that. The price would probably keep me from buying them anyway but truthfully I'll drive my truck by myself mostly, so less of a concern to me. Better to look mah-velous than to work mah-velous, ha ha!

Quote:

The handles have a CounterParts label under the BowTie Bits label, probably the same thing most vendors are selling..

Yeah, the ones I bought from The Truck Shop in Orange, CA have the same Counterpart labels. I thought the quality looked good.

Quote:

That lust for chrome might be an age thing, LOL. I have a serious case of it too. I just missed a pair of 57 hood rockets on CL for $200 and I'm kicking myself over that.

Good luck with finding more. Is your truck a '57?

I had one I lost due to my divorce of 13 years ago. It always BUGGED me I had to sell it....which is what led to me buying a Porsche 944 - yeah, I was totally broke. Then I bought/restored/sold to The Netherlands a 911. Replaced that with a '46 Chevy truck. But none of them satisfied me. I KNEW I wanted a '55-'59, preferably a big window or a Fleetside if a '58/'59. Got what I have been lusting after two years ago!;)

Number 9 04-03-2013 06:12 PM

You could use a double throw self centering switch in the bottom lip of the dash for passenger window.

Dan in Pasadena 04-03-2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 9 (Post 5989511)
You could use a double throw self centering switch in the bottom lip of the dash for passenger window.

See Russ! There's ALWAYS someone here smarter than us.....well, at least ME!:lol:

Number 9 04-03-2013 07:40 PM

Not me.