The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Cubber's Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=540844)

cubber 01-07-2013 01:41 AM

Re: Cubber's Build Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 5801165)
It's yours on the 19th.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, man! We can just put it in the truck!

5150 01-07-2013 01:43 AM

You bringing it to Chuck's?
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 01-07-2013 02:03 AM

So.... In order to have my truck driveable on the 19th, I need to get some things done. I thought I would post a to do list for this week, and y'all can chime in, and help me not to forget anything. I think I'll try to list most important first, and go down to things I'd like to have done, and finish with pipe dreams, lol.

1)Install accesories on engine
2)throttle and trans linkage to carb
3)fenders, core support, radiator
4)wire harness w/hei, and internally regulated alternator
5)battery in bed
6)finish fuel tank install
7)bolt headers on

this is the bare minimum to be able to
8)start engine and set timing
9)finish plumbing air ride
10)wire air ride compressors

which is the minimum needed to
11)get exhaust installed

then I would like to

12)set the bed on (wouldn't mind doing before exhaust, so I'll have lights)
13)bolt seat in
14)rear shock relocators installed

If, by some stroke of blessing I get all of that done, I'd like to
15)clean and paint new door panels
16)Install door panels, dash pad, seat cover
17)Install dash/filler radio
18)Install new tail lights
19) install new lenses on marker lights
20) install new mirrors
21) new tailgate chains

I think this is a tall order, but I have 2 weeks. If I make it to this Friday, and dont have it ready for the exhaust shop, I'll prob take off Friday if there is any chance at will get me caught up. The exhaust should be done over the weekend, and I will have access to he truck while it is getting the exhaust. I could use the time to work on the interior parts, and have them ready for install when the exhaust is done. I think I have all the major parts on hand, the only ones I might need will be little connectors or bolts, just odds and ends. What does everybody think? Am I crazy??

Xeen 01-07-2013 07:29 AM

Cubber thanks for sharing the Hedman header information in post #264 that is going to save me some time and money.
I think you can get that punch list done with time to spare, are you moving the main battery to the bed or is this an aux battery for the air ride?

Rusbuilt 01-07-2013 10:01 AM

I'll be there to help one day this week!

cubber 01-07-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 5801325)
Cubber thanks for sharing the Hedman header information in post #264 that is going to save me some time and money.
I think you can get that punch list done with time to spare, are you moving the main battery to the bed or is this an aux battery for the air ride?

I was planning on putting the main battery in the bed, and might put an auxiliary one in, too. Thanks for the encouragement!
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 01-07-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5801477)
I'll be there to help one day this week!

Thanks, Rus.I will most likely take off at least part of Friday to work, and will be workin every night but Wednesday.
Posted via Mobile Device

JRANGER 01-07-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5801198)
So.... In order to have my truck driveable on the 19th, I need to get some things done. I thought I would post a to do list for this week, and y'all can chime in, and help me not to forget anything. I think I'll try to list most important first, and go down to things I'd like to have done, and finish with pipe dreams, lol.

5)battery in bed
7)bolt headers on

11)get exhaust installed

then I would like to

13)bolt seat in

20) install new mirrors
21) new tailgate chains

I think this is a tall order, but I have 2 weeks. If I make it to this Friday, and dont have it ready for the exhaust shop, I'll prob take off Friday if there is any chance at will get me caught up. The exhaust should be done over the weekend, and I will have access to he truck while it is getting the exhaust. I could use the time to work on the interior parts, and have them ready for install when the exhaust is done. I think I have all the major parts on hand, the only ones I might need will be little connectors or bolts, just odds and ends. What does everybody think? Am I crazy??

You can do it!!!!

cubber 01-07-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRANGER (Post 5801489)
You can do it!!!!

Haha thanks, man.
Posted via Mobile Device

5150 01-07-2013 11:54 AM

Matt, it's on it's way.
Posted via Mobile Device

cubber 01-07-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 5801692)
Matt, it's on it's way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.
Posted via Mobile Device

thelonerife 01-07-2013 07:53 PM

You'll get that list down sooner than you think. You have almost 11 days.

cubber 01-07-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 5802499)
You'll get that list down sooner than you think. You have almost 11 days.

I hope so. Did a few little things tonight. Do you have a pic of how your gas tank is bolted up?

thelonerife 01-07-2013 10:08 PM

I'll get one and post it up for ya.

cubber 01-07-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 5802905)
I'll get one and post it up for ya.

You da man! Just want to be sure I'm on the right track, before I start drilling tomorrow.

thelonerife 01-07-2013 10:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
heres a few Matt. These straps are from a 72 suburban.

JRANGER 01-07-2013 10:27 PM

.....Drooolsss.....Yalls projects are so cool

Kronos1968 01-08-2013 12:28 AM

Matt I am free any time any day. Well as long as you don't expect me over there at 6am. LOL I've been workin on my language.

chevybuilder18 01-08-2013 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5801198)

5)battery in bed
7)bolt headers on

11)get exhaust installed

then I would like to

13)bolt seat in

20) install new mirrors
21) new tailgate chains

crazy if i can call you that lol. you can do the engine quick, those accrys. are like clock work if you keep on them. its also quicker to do the engine back, like set timing with the headers installed, then install the exhaust on after, but keep a note youl wanna put that newer gas tank in, set gas tank in place you want it and do exhaust? and then work on the rest one thing at a time. exhaust is also easier to do if you have the bed off. make sure it doesnt scrape the ground like mine :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 5802959)
heres a few Matt. These straps are from a 72 suburban.

hey what kinda gas tank is that from?

cubber 01-08-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kronos1968 (Post 5803355)
Matt I am free any time any day. Well as long as you don't expect me over there at 6am. LOL I've been workin on my language.

I appreciate it Brian. As far as language goes, sometimes I work on mine, sometimes it works on me, lol.
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevybuilder18 (Post 5803614)
crazy if i can call you that lol. you can do the engine quick, those accrys. are like clock work if you keep on them. its also quicker to do the engine back, like set timing with the headers installed, then install the exhaust on after, but keep a note youl wanna put that newer gas tank in, set gas tank in place you want it and do exhaust? and then work on the rest one thing at a time. exhaust is also easier to do if you have the bed off. make sure it doesnt scrape the ground like mine :lol:

I don't want to drag the ground, lolThe tank is in, just need to finish bolting in . Everything will be in place before we install exhaust.

hey what kinda gas tank is that from?

Both gas tanks are from Blazers of the same years (67-72).

cubber 01-08-2013 09:05 PM

Big thanks to Brian (5150)! Got some mail today, looks good.

Another question.....My plug wires were all unattatched when I got my engine, so how do I know where to put em?

Todd68Chevy 01-08-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5805002)
Another question.....My plug wires were all unattatched when I got my engine, so how do I know where to put em?

Do you mean routing or firing order?

JRANGER 01-08-2013 09:07 PM

Thats a Rus question there lol!! No labels on intake????

Todd68Chevy 01-08-2013 09:15 PM

If you mean the firing order. The firing order for all small block Chevys is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. #1 cylinder is front cylinder on drivers side bank. Drivers side is odd numbers 1-3-5-7 and the front cylinder on the passenger side is #2 so the pass. side is 2-4-6-8. Set your distributor on #1 (top dead center of compression stroke on #1 cylinder- drivers front cylinder). Then place #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing to on the dist. cap. then install the rest in a clockwise rotation in order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

cubber 01-08-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd68Chevy (Post 5805026)
If you mean the firing order. The firing order for all small block Chevys is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. #1 cylinder is front cylinder on drivers side bank. Drivers side is odd numbers 1-3-5-7 and the front cylinder on the passenger side is #2 so the pass. side is 2-4-6-8. Set your distributor on #1 (top dead center of compression stroke on #1 cylinder- drivers front cylinder). Then place #1 plug wire where the rotor is pointing to on the dist. cap. then install the rest in a clockwise rotation in order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Thanks Todd t's been to long since I've done all this!!
I knew the order and the position of the cylinders, I just wasn't sure if there was an easy way, or a common way they are placed on the cap. I had a cap with all the wires hanging off of it, but not hooked to anything. I knew about finding TDC, and going from there, I was just looking for a lazy way:lol:
The rotor won't turn unless the engine does, will it.?

Todd68Chevy 01-08-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cubber (Post 5805038)
Thanks Todd t's been to long since I've done all this!!
I knew the order and the position of the cylinders, I just wasn't sure if there was an easy way, or a common way they are placed on the cap. I had a cap with all the wires hanging off of it, but not hooked to anything. I knew about finding TDC, and going from there, I was just looking for a lazy way:lol:
The rotor won't turn unless the engine does, will it.?

The #1 plug wire can go anywhere you want if you change where the rotor is pointed by pulling the dist. up and turning it in the cam gear mesh. I usually have my rotors pointing toward the drivers rear carb. stud. I guess that is just the way dad always did it and the wires seem to route ok that way.

The lazy way would be getting someone else to do it while you watch. LOL

After the dist. is installed in the engine, if the rotor turns without the engine turning then you better start looking for a problem. LOL

Low Elco 01-08-2013 09:35 PM

Do the Shock relo first before you have the bed on or the exhaust. Things.....Relocate. Hence the name! Ha! Voice of experience here, had to move some stuff and it was a pain with the bed on. It wouldn't have been a problem at all with no bed.

Rusbuilt 01-08-2013 09:37 PM

Matt your rotor right now if you pulled your cap should be pointing at #1 cylinder wire right now, thats where I set it when I dropped it in. So just run your firing order from there.

JRANGER 01-08-2013 10:38 PM

aww dang....stuff just got real! Ring Ring lol

an yes....i said stuff but in person i wouldnt of thought long enough before i blurted out what i was thinking

cubber 01-08-2013 11:27 PM

Now I remember why I don't remember where the wires were!! They were off the plugs when I picked up the motor! Anyway, I had a pic of the motor before it was pulled, and #1 was at about 5:30 looking down on the dist. from the front, so we're good. Thanks everyone.

cubber 01-08-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5805070)
Do the Shock relo first before you have the bed on or the exhaust. Things.....Relocate. Hence the name! Ha! Voice of experience here, had to move some stuff and it was a pain with the bed on. It wouldn't have been a problem at all with no bed.

Good advice. I already have the top brackets for the shocks mounted:metal:.

cubber 01-09-2013 08:11 PM

Got the pulleys in, and they look great! Also picked up some bolts for all my brackets. I may have the back end finished tomorrow night!
Posted via Mobile Device

5150 01-09-2013 08:23 PM

Matt, you fully understand that of you don't take pics of the progress you are making then it didn't happen. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Xeen 01-09-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5150 (Post 5807152)
Matt, you fully understand that of you don't take pics of the progress you are making then it didn't happen. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

/agree

JRANGER 01-09-2013 10:13 PM

yeah for real...pics

cubber 01-10-2013 06:01 PM

Ok, ok. I will take and post pics of tonight's progress.
Posted via Mobile Device

5150 01-10-2013 06:42 PM

Promise?

cubber 01-11-2013 04:49 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Tonight I bolted up my gas tank, Ran my fuel line, and ran my air lines from the rear. Also finished my shock relocate. Also put on my pulleys, except for power steering.

cubber 01-11-2013 04:49 AM

Man I'm glad I got those pulleys!

cubber 01-11-2013 04:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thought y'all might like these. The blue one is actually on late model Suburban suspension with TBI. The other one is one a friend of mine and I put a crate engine in, and now he's getting it ready for paint. The blue one is his. Check out that NOS grille he pulled ot and put on. He bought that either when we were still in school, or just out for like $300, and we thought that was crazy. I'd buy 10 at that price now.:lol: