The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My 1st 68 panel (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=491574)

richard2717 12-18-2019 06:17 PM

Re: My 1st 68 panel

5 Attachment(s)
A few more shots

richard2717 12-18-2019 06:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Also got the rest of the rusted/butchered inner cowl metal cut out

Average Joe 12-22-2019 03:04 AM

Looking good sir!!

richard2717 12-28-2019 02:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And this is why I can't get any work done. Things keep following me home. I really need to sell this trailer to limit my bring home capacity :lol:

Getter-Done 12-28-2019 02:09 PM

2 Short beds:smoke:

Are these projects or parts trucks?

Keep on Trucking:metal:

richard2717 12-28-2019 02:33 PM

Got enough projects :lol: I will begin going thru them for parts soon.

Getter-Done 12-28-2019 02:44 PM

Good to see you are feeling better.

richard2717 12-28-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 8650060)
Good to see you are feeling better.

Thanks
I did finally figure out that it was the vine that I cut on Monday that was poisonous. Not sure if it was ivy or oak but it was potent. Still swelled up some but it is going down. Gonna try to work on the panel some more over next couple of days

LockDoc 12-29-2019 01:21 AM

-
As my wife would say, " you're worse than a dog dragging s#!t home"..:).. Good finds anyway.

I am highly allergic to Ivy and Oak. If I don't get a shot in short order, I will end up in the hospital.

LockDoc

pwdcougar 12-29-2019 03:47 PM

Looking good Richard. You are making some good progress!

Paul

richard2717 12-29-2019 04:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8650401)
-
As my wife would say, " you're worse than a dog dragging s#!t home"..:).. Good finds anyway.

I am highly allergic to Ivy and Oak. If I don't get a shot in short order, I will end up in the hospital.

LockDoc

Hate to see any of them go to the crusher. I "think" I have enough parts here to put the step side together :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 8650723)
Looking good Richard. You are making some good progress!

Paul

Thanks Paul
not quite as far along as you though. I have been fighting this lower inner A pillar cover on the passenger side. It is not even close. The driver side one seems to be pretty spot on though.

jaros44sr 12-30-2019 01:23 PM

Richard, your worse then a dog draggin sh!t home, gotta remember that one, as my son has too many trailers. He just brought home a trailer with a truck bed camper mounted on it, and a space on the back for his Jeep to haul that to the 4x4 campground

Anyway, subs looking good, can you pull back alittle on the pic of the side panel, hard for me to see the oreintation

still have that heater box for you, I'll try to get some pics up, busy working on my truck

richard2717 12-30-2019 04:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Jim
It is the nature of the beast. :lol: Here are some pics of the drivers side. It lines up pretty good

.Attachment 1969851

Attachment 1969852

Attachment 1969853

Attachment 1969854

This last pic I moved the lower inner forward flush with the firewall/floor pan joint and you can see better the gap or shortage of metal at the A pillar

Attachment 1969855

jaros44sr 12-31-2019 10:43 AM

You may have to buy two of those pieces to splice it together, although I cant imagine why. I didnt have that problem on either side of the 'A' pillar DS or PS

jaros44sr 12-31-2019 10:49 AM

OK, I see what I did, I moved it down to get the lenght right, just remade the bottom and reflanged the seam where the weather strip go. I you need the flanging tool let me know and I will ship it out

I'd show yuo a pic but it is downright fugly

richard2717 12-31-2019 12:05 PM

Jim,
Since I have to replace them both all the way up under the dash, I bought these more for patterns anyway since I had nothing to go by. I am just going to split it apart to get the width right then transfer it to some 18 gauge sheet I have here and "hopefully" make a one pc panel for both sides. I am hoping to be able to use the bead roller I just got from Eastwood to do this since it came with tipping wheels. Since I am a beginner with it, I would imagine I will mess up quite a few pcs before I get it worked out.

I spent all day yesterday replacing the water heater at the office. Things that should only take an hour or two seem to last me all day sometimes

richard2717 01-02-2020 10:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
A whole lot of put it in...take it out ....put it back in.....take it out but finally got the DS inner area almost buttoned up. Still have to finish the very bottom pc inside but will wait on that until I get the rust converter put up in there. It is all fitted and ready to go. ALso got the DS lower A pillar replaced. All told I probably have put the new outer cowl on a couple dozen times while fitting the inner pcs on the driver side to make sure I kept my alignments correct.

richard2717 01-02-2020 10:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
couple more pics. Hoping to have this whole area buttoned up by the end of the weekend but who knows

Ol Blue K20 01-02-2020 10:59 AM

Looks great!

LockDoc 01-02-2020 12:06 PM

-
Wow, that looks like a lot of work to me. I'm looking at a '72 Suburban a few miles from me but I will look it over extra good, if it is that bad I think I will pass on it. I know the Panels are harder to find than the Suburbans but I would have to give that a lot of thought. You are doing some Great work though.

LockDoc

richard2717 01-02-2020 12:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8652935)
Looks great!

Thanks Dale

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8652992)
-
Wow, that looks like a lot of work to me. I'm looking at a '72 Suburban a few miles from me but I will look it over extra good, if it is that bad I think I will pass on it. I know the Panels are harder to find than the Suburbans but I would have to give that a lot of thought. You are doing some Great work though.

LockDoc

What can I say. I wanted a panel bad at the time and this one popped up close enough to go get if I won but further than I wanted to go inspect. I bought by pics posted on the Ebay ad and needless to say it was not as advertised. Since i had already made the long trip and had already paid for it I went ahead with it. The bugger is, I have found 2 others that had way less rust since then, but I was already committed to this one in time & money. Besides, it never hurts to brush up on skills you have not used in over a decade it seems :lol: I think once I get past this front section it "should" move at a better pace, but we all know how that works sometimes.

Today I am trying my luck remaking the passenger side inner foot pillar to the correct width. I also need to get my doors out of storage so I can make sure seams are lining up close enough to button up the floor.

Beach-Burban 01-02-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 8653018)
Thanks Dale

What can I say. I wanted a panel bad at the time and this one popped up close enough to go get if I won but further than I wanted to go inspect. I bought by pics posted on the Ebay ad and needless to say it was not as advertised. Since i had already made the long trip and had already paid for it I went ahead with it. The bugger is, I have found 2 others that had way less rust since then, but I was already committed to this one in time & money. Besides, it never hurts to brush up on skills you have not used in over a decade it seems :lol: I think once I get past this front section it "should" move at a better pace, but we all know how that works sometimes.

Today I am trying my luck remaking the passenger side inner foot pillar to the correct width. I also need to get my doors out of storage so I can make sure seams are lining up close enough to button up the floor.

Wow...I was having the same thoughts as LockDoc while looking at all the fab-work you have been doing!!! I totally get it...just couldn't do it myself...but finishing a job you've started makes it all worthwhile! Fantastic results! I have been in awe of the intensity that the members have when working on their projects...especially you and HO455! Thanks for including us in your journey...Happy 2020 to all!

Woody

richard2717 01-02-2020 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8653055)
Wow...I was having the same thoughts as LockDoc while looking at all the fab-work you have been doing!!! I totally get it...just couldn't do it myself...but finishing a job you've started makes it all worthwhile! Fantastic results! I have been in awe of the intensity that the members have when working on their projects...especially you and HO455! Thanks for including us in your journey...Happy 2020 to all!

Woody

10 years ago I don't know if I would have went ahead with it. I used to get frustrated over a lot of noise and distractions (radios by co workers were the worst). Several years back I lost my hearing and since that time I feel like I can totally zone everyone and everything out while I am working on something. It seems to be my happy place anymore.

Did not get one thing accomplished on it today. Ended up spending most of the day taking the boiler apart at the house and getting it cleaned up. Got a text this morning they woke up to black smoke starting to come in the house from furnace room. It was totally my fault. I did not clean the fire box chamber out before the season started and the fingers are so close the soot builds up bad enough over the course of a year or two that it will clog up and push smoke into the house. Luckily the shop is right next door to the house so I beat feet and got it all shut down and fanned out before it got in the house too bad. I have had several people out over the years trying to get it so that it burns cleaner but have been told this boiler is bad for it either way.Hope to get back on this tomorrow afternoon but have to go across state early in the morning to work on a sign. After that is done I am going to look at a 71 suburban parts truck that I was given a lead on.

Thanks for following along

CG 01-02-2020 07:01 PM

Dang man, you are plugging right along. Looking great!

HO455 01-04-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach-Burban (Post 8653055)

Woody

Thank you for the kind words, but my floundering about doesn't come anywhere near in comparison to Richard's craftsmanship.
This thread is my first stop when I check back here.
Between Richard and NZBurb's adventure thread these are exciting times here on the Burban Booard!