The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   67 GMC super custom build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=530401)

chewychevy67 09-17-2015 02:18 PM

Re: 67 GMC super custom build

2 Attachment(s)
Now both my light and wiper nuts look the same. these look much better than what factory used.

chewychevy67 09-17-2015 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geunther (Post 7304823)
Great build, I have been through all the posts a couple of times now. I especially like the idea of using the transistorized ignition to retain the factory distributor look. I had one on a 72 LT-1 and never had a problem with it.

Several years ago the GM dealer that my brother worked at was throwing away a blue box test kit that had a logo on it for transistorized ignitions. I guess they hadn't used it for several years. Because of the LT-1, my brother grabbed it, which turned out to be the GM test kit for the ignitions. Luckily I held onto it for all these years as I might "borrow" your idea and install one on mine.

No too many people comment on the TI. Many probably don't know what it is. I could have gotten a pertronix kit but I thought this would be a nice touch. Thanks. I hope I don't have too much trouble getting it going once my engine is assembled.. I had a guy build this properly for my 327 engine. It sure wasn't cheap to have done but is cool to have.

chewychevy67 09-25-2015 11:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here is where my window switches will be. the top one is vertical for the vent window and the bottom is horizontal for the door window. I wanted to put the bottom one where I have the marker but I could not because of motor location.

Xeen 09-26-2015 08:08 AM

Standard practice in the auto industry is to group all the switches together, not to suggest that you should follow the industry, but why not put them right next to each other?

chewychevy67 09-26-2015 09:49 AM

because the door window motor and vent motor are right beside the top switch in the door and the bottom has the window track right close and with the double switches on the driver side I would be tight if I could at all put them close together. these were literally my only options. these doors have no depth at all and the motors sit tight in there.

Hart_Rod 09-28-2015 08:51 AM

Truck looks great!

chewychevy67 10-01-2015 08:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 7299783)
I gotta get me one of those twilight sentinels that's awesome, I also gotta get me a variable delay wiper switch which is equally as useful.

Well this got me thinking. So I ordered a wiper delay from member twouvakind and it arrived today. So I made a little modification. I am not sure if this is going to work yet as I have to find somewhere to test it. I don't want this mounted anywhere. It needs to look good and professional and somewhat like it could be original. I took a pointometer I had which I hope works that has a hole in the center (just like the sentinel) so the original wiper switch will be in the same place but the delay switch will rotate around it and thus no additional holes drilled. it will look identical to the headlight switch and bezel. Would be great if this could work.

chewychevy67 10-02-2015 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just tested it and it worked nicely. I'll post a video later today. This is how the switch will look.

Xeen 10-02-2015 11:33 AM

Very nice, you gotta love modern comfort and convenience in a classic.
Next on the list, cruise control. :gi:

chewychevy67 10-02-2015 11:39 AM

Cruise is done. I got a factory 68 set up.

Xeen 10-02-2015 11:43 AM

I have an idea for the electric window switches, sending you a PM.

notchbackgta 10-02-2015 04:20 PM

I bought one of those wiper delay modules too. I would be very interested if you can duplicate that switch setup for me. I haven't put mine in yet because I didn't know what I was going to to about putting in a second switch

chewychevy67 10-02-2015 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notchbackgta (Post 7327796)
I bought one of those wiper delay modules too. I would be very interested if you can duplicate that switch setup for me. I haven't put mine in yet because I didn't know what I was going to to about putting in a second switch

I want to complete this switch first. I have one more switch just like it. If it turns out to my satisfaction I could make you one. I'll contact you when I have mine complete.

notchbackgta 10-03-2015 06:46 PM

Cool, thanks

chewychevy67 10-04-2015 05:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the switch finished up. Here is how it worked out. I have a few things I need to do by the wiper knob but you get the idea. you can turn the lever behind the wiper knob and that will turn on the wiper delay. the more you turn it the more delay you get. ill post a video tonight sometime.

chewychevy67 10-05-2015 07:51 PM

Heres the video of the wipers. https://youtu.be/XfVXsbGdSzU

Xeen 10-05-2015 08:17 PM

Very nice, well thought out and executed.
The infinitely variable delay is very cool.

DeadheadNM 10-05-2015 08:32 PM

Nice work!

chewychevy67 10-05-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 7327467)
I have an idea for the electric window switches, sending you a PM.

I thought about the switches and decided I am going to be happy with the switches the way they are. At some point my obsession to turn this truck into a caddilac has to stop if I ever want to drive it lol. I think I better start getting ready for motor and body work from here in.....

Xeen 10-06-2015 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chewychevy67 (Post 7331481)
I thought about the switches and decided I am going to be happy with the switches the way they are. At some point my obsession to turn this truck into a caddilac has to stop if I ever want to drive it lol. I think I better start getting ready for motor and body work from here in.....

I hear ya, a lot of stuff can be bolted on after the truck is running and driving anyway.

chewychevy67 10-07-2015 11:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I hated the way the original glove box lights on a/c trucks never illuminate the whole box so I had tried one from a Buick a while back but found that it just blinded you when you opened it. I found this lens in E-bay a while ago and thought that would be nicer even though it bumps out a bit. now it will shine to the back of the box and its nice as it is made white to the front so its not bright in your eyes when you open it. the light just sandwiches the cardboard so no modification to the cardboard is needed.

chewychevy67 10-07-2015 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here are some renderings I had a member here do for me. This looks nice. here are the ones with a black roof...

chewychevy67 10-07-2015 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and the white roof..

Xeen 10-07-2015 05:42 PM

I think it looks stunning in all black, I never did like white on black and if you are going to paint the top a different color than the main body I don't think the top looks right without the two tone on the side as well.
That's just my personal preference though, I'm sure others will disagree.

thelonerife 10-07-2015 10:59 PM

I think your truck is going to be killer no matter what color it is. Its going to be one of the best.