The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960-1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Power Steering Adapter Plates (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=332923)

SS317 01-13-2013 12:10 AM

Re: Power Steering Adapter Plates

Hello Captain. I need info on pricing for an adapter plate and the steering column shaft adapter/rag joint.
1966 C10, 350 engine.
Thanks,
Sean

Captainfab 01-13-2013 02:15 AM

I'll send you a PM :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS317 (Post 5813774)
Hello Captain. I need info on pricing for an adapter plate and the steering column shaft adapter/rag joint.
1966 C10, 350 engine.
Thanks,
Sean

1955 mancave 01-20-2013 02:45 PM

man that adapter plate is the ---t i had the box mounted in like 15 min. and i'm sure the brake booster adapter will be the same, great job John and after seeing what problems others have had when using other peoples brakets , you have done your work and made it easy for the rest of us.

thanks.

Captainfab 01-20-2013 11:37 PM

Thank you for the compliment Henry :)

nhr3 01-23-2013 07:29 PM

Captain please PM me with details. I would like to order the Steering Adapter plate, Rag joint coupler. Thanks

Captainfab 01-24-2013 12:09 AM

PM sent :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nhr3 (Post 5838367)
Captain please PM me with details. I would like to order the Steering Adapter plate, Rag joint coupler. Thanks

nhr3 01-24-2013 09:38 AM

Thank you for your quick reply,. Money has been sent. It is very nice dealing with a small business. Too many of the vendors for this project have gotten too big and customer service has suffered. I look forward to working with your creations.

ikester 01-24-2013 05:12 PM

Hi Captain,

I have a 68 K10 with the old 3 bolt manual steering gear. It looks like I'm going to need one of your adaptor plates for my Power steering conversion. Will you ship to Canada? Thanks

Captainfab 01-25-2013 12:54 AM

I replied to your PM :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ikester (Post 5840274)
Hi Captain,

I have a 68 K10 with the old 3 bolt manual steering gear. It looks like I'm going to need one of your adaptor plates for my Power steering conversion. Will you ship to Canada? Thanks

Rotten62 01-27-2013 02:47 AM

Captain, I would greatly appreciate it if you could email me info (rotten62@ymail.com) on how to purchase your steering adapter setup and one of your power brake adapters for a 62. Thank you in advance!
Posted via Mobile Device

1955 mancave 01-27-2013 11:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
i thought i posted picures so now i will

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1955 mancave (Post 5830538)
man that adapter plate is the ---t i had the box mounted in like 15 min. and i'm sure the brake booster adapter will be the same, great job John and after seeing what problems others have had when using other peoples brakets , you have done your work and made it easy for the rest of us.

thanks.

Captainfab 01-28-2013 12:00 AM

Thanks for posting your pictures here Henry :D

Looks good :thumbs:

MikeN 01-29-2013 12:48 PM

For you guys that have done this swap, what are you doing for hoses? I bought a presssure hose for a 73 C10, and no way it will work. The fittings are right (5/8" inverted flare one end, 11/16" inverted flare on the other) but the bends are just all wrong. Can't make it work.

I also tried fabbing a steel braided line with AN fittings at each end (which I have done many times on fuel lines and tranny lines) but it blew the fitting off the hose twice when I fired the engine. I understand the pressure is much higher in a power steering system, like 175PSI or something.

Anyway, I'm open to suggestion at this point. If anybody has a part number or application for a pre-bent hose/line that will work, I sure could use it.

The adapter plate and installation and everything was top notch otherwise though...very easy installation and I sure am looking forward to modern steering.

64fleetside 01-29-2013 03:16 PM

IIRC I used hoses for a 71-72.

Captainfab 01-30-2013 12:09 AM

It's been many years since I've done a conversion, but I would think hoses for a '68-'72 should work. Of course this depends on what engine you have and what accessory drive configuration. By that I mean whether you are running a short water pump as used in the '68-'72's, or the long water pump. You should also be able to use braided hoses. I believe Alan's Classic used braided hoses on his truck. You might also check into having a hose made up at a shop that makes hydraulic hoses. You only really need the pressure hose made up, The return hose can just be clamped to the tubes.

MikeN 01-30-2013 04:55 PM

OK, thanks. I'm using a short waterpump and power stump pump brackets by Alan Grove, which are very close to stock. Maybe I'll try a 68-72 pressure hose.

jayoldschool 01-30-2013 06:39 PM

Will 6cyl car pump brackets work on the 230 in the trucks?

Captainfab 01-30-2013 11:53 PM

Yes. As long as they are for the early 230/250 with the seperate head and intake, and not the integrated head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayoldschool (Post 5856578)
Will 6cyl car pump brackets work on the 230 in the trucks?

gbrown 02-13-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3266185)
I haven't put one of these on a '60-'62, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's been a long time since I've looked at the frame on a '60-'62, but it seems to me like the area where the steering box is the frame is boxed. That being the case you would need some pieces of tube to go between the inner and outter frame, and some longer bolts.

Could I forgo the pieces of tube and longer bolts if I were able to just weld your bracket to my frame rail like you suggest doing in the 1st post? Also, does your bracket include directions regarding re-installing the steering shaft, etc? Thanks.

Captainfab 02-14-2013 12:01 AM

Yes you could stitch weld the plate to the frame, and not use the tubes. However, you will still need to cut holes in the inner flame web to unstall the bolts into the steering box.

The installation instructions do show you how to re-use the original flange from the end of the steering column shaft. However that does require the use of a drill press and a welder. If those are not available, the tube and flange that I sell is a simple solution.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrown (Post 5886428)
Could I forgo the pieces of tube and longer bolts if I were able to just weld your bracket to my frame rail like you suggest doing in the 1st post? Also, does your bracket include directions regarding re-installing the steering shaft, etc? Thanks.

skooks 02-19-2013 05:36 PM

Hello
I am interested in purchasing one of your power steering adapter plates. I have a 1961 Chevy c10. Also what pitman arm did you use? I am new to this Website and not sure how we make our transaction. Thankyou
Skooks

Captainfab 02-20-2013 12:50 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum :D

My power steering adapter plates are designed to be used on the '63-'66 C series frames, as well as '68 and earlier K series frames. They can be used on the '60-'62 C series frames, but you will need to make up your own tubes to go between the inner and outer frame webs, and possibly a little other fabricating. Let me know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skooks (Post 5899306)
Hello
I am interested in purchasing one of your power steering adapter plates. I have a 1961 Chevy c10. Also what pitman arm did you use? I am new to this Website and not sure how we make our transaction. Thankyou
Skooks

skooks 02-20-2013 10:34 AM

Hello and thank you. Are you referring to tubes through the boxed frame, to give strength to the steering box bolts? If so, that is not a problem. I would still like to purchase one of your adapter plates. I have a 79 C10 steering box. Will that pitman arm work? Thank you for all your help.

Captainfab 02-20-2013 11:08 PM

Yes I am referring to the tubes between the inner and outer frame webs to keep them from collapsing when you tighten the steering box bolts.

I do know that the '73-'87 pitman arm will fit the '63-'66 draglink, and according to a parts comparison, the stock '60-'62 and the '63-'66 pitman arms are interchangeable. So even though I have not done what you are asking, it should work.

I'll send you a PM with payment info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skooks (Post 5900622)
Hello and thank you. Are you referring to tubes through the boxed frame, to give strength to the steering box bolts? If so, that is not a problem. I would still like to purchase one of your adapter plates. I have a 79 C10 steering box. Will that pitman arm work? Thank you for all your help.

skooks 02-21-2013 11:55 AM

Sent you a pm about payment