The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=401176)

DangerBoy 06-05-2010 04:53 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today!

Finished painting my one good fender and cowl. If everything goes well I'll have her back on the road within 2 months.

Marc33 06-05-2010 05:35 PM

cut out old exhaust and installed new motor mount brackets for the big block that is going in next week.

big_al_71 06-05-2010 05:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Clean the hell out of my engine compartment because I was going to a cruise and the rain canceled my plans...:lol:

kevmic28 06-05-2010 07:49 PM

I drove 6 hours round trip to pick up a set of doors with windows that are a hell of a lot better than the ones on my truck now for 100 bucks plus 60 in gas.
Not too bad a deal, would have been better if I had ac in the truck or it hadnt hit 100 degrees today.

Yooper truck 06-05-2010 08:24 PM

Worked on getting wood boards for the bed cut to size and holes drilled in all the right places. The off-center washers were a bit challenging.

CUSHE63 06-05-2010 08:28 PM

Baked it for 2 hrs at 165 degrees.

Steve

rick0312 06-05-2010 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
layed some paint down earlier in the week and started to put things back together. even bought a nice shinny air filter. getting close!

rondog4416 06-05-2010 10:38 PM

installed billit glove box door cover today

Number98 06-05-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 4014504)
Waxed the roof the the burb.

:lol: That much surface area!

Probably took two days at least...

68GMCCustom 06-05-2010 11:03 PM

I pulled the motor and trans yesterday...front crossmember and suspension, trans crossmember, e-brake lines, and drained the gas tank today. Boy that turned into a mess. I had the gas line pluged from where I pulled the motor. So I put a 2.5gal. gas can under it, take off the plug and a little gas flows and it stops. I think to myself...well it was almost on E when I pulled it in...and I've pulled it out and in several times since then so maybe its empty? I decide to just leave the hose plugged into the tank for a while and shortly after closed the garage, went inside, cleaned up, and layed down for a 2 hour nap.
My wife wakes me up....2.5hrs later (oversplept) screaming about the house smelling like gas. I stumble around trying to wake up (hard to do when your on pain meds) and finally make it out the back door to the strong smell of gas. I decide its not bad enough to blow up, and hit the garage door button. I get over to the truck and the gas can is full, and so is the large piece of cardboard its sitting on...along with a puddle, and a soaked concrete felt (whatever its called) between the driveway and garage pads. Obviously...the line started draining again and the 2.5 gal. gas can was not quite big enough. After I stopped the flow and finally got everything cleaned up I put another small can ander it...and it drained less the a half gal.

passthebuck 06-06-2010 05:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed a tilt column & a Grant wheel.

I haven’t installed the indicator yet in the photo - it's going to get a 327/700R4 this summer & that part will be hooked up then.

I haven’t driven it yet, but I'm thinking I am going to have to push the column towards the dash as well.

WOW does this wheel feel small after using the factory wheel for so long!

vectorit 06-06-2010 06:03 PM

Added new seat belts
Rebuilt the kick panel vents
Worked on getting the timing just right - still not there... :(
Took her for a cruise

rhamlin 06-06-2010 06:06 PM

Replaced a broken wheel lug on the front

Ordered a new set of brake shoes.

Installed a temporary horn button.

Tomorrow, re-inspection for safety !

red71cheyenne 06-06-2010 06:16 PM

Thursday I took the Blazer on its first road trip of about 3 miles to the glass shop to get the windshield put in. Friday he still had it cause it wouldn't fit!! Now he's going to pull it tomorrow and grind it down to make it fit.

Pont406 06-06-2010 09:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Put a motor in and clearenced rad support. Still need to run fuel lines, installed rad and trans cooler. Maybe swith over to cable linkage. Blower will go on last.

1971 GMC SHORTY 06-06-2010 11:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been Putting Truck Back After Getting Back from Body Shop Got Grill and put New taillight assy Ran New Wires From The Front an NOS Headlight Switch Turn Signal Switch.... Go To Mother in Laws 3 Blocks And Get Pulled Over Buy Los Angeles Finest Asks Me If i am On Probation Or A X Con O DAm i Got Pissed And Told The SOB This is Profling, Tells Me he Pulled me over Cause i had No Light WTF Everthing Is New See i wasnt Afraid of him This Punk Ass Cop is Giveing me A Ticket For No light So I walk back to truck and turn lights on and Guess What they Work so i Am Talking More **** To Him His Supervisor Shows up To Explane... Whats there to Explane This Whole Stop "Is Bull**** I Ask HIm if i was Done And Walked Into Mother in Laws so iam Going Down And File A Coplant... They Just Want To Ck Out The New Paint

07SSSC 06-06-2010 11:44 PM

I finished my fuel cell install yesterday and put the bed back on.

Coincedently, anyone ever have a brand new Summit cell leak around the fittings right out of the box?

Today I got most of the wiring done for my (on the cheap) electric fan setup, more info to come on that. Also cleaned up/tucked and retaped a lot of wiring, found a lovely twisted/soldered/duct taped and electrical taped mess at the battery for the wire running to the fuse block. My grandpa switched it to sidepost and had some "interesting" fixes to say the least. Gonna grab a new terminal tomorrow and redo it correctly.

vectorit 06-06-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 4017524)
Added new seat belts
Rebuilt the kick panel vents
Worked on getting the timing just right - still not there... :(
Took her for a cruise

Got the timing issue corrected - Stupid mistake, had the vac adv connected to the wrong darn port on the carb...

Took my baby out for a long cruise out on the back roads as a test drive, and she is running like a top again! So stoked :metal:

frog trucker 06-07-2010 01:57 AM

I took care of a few more things the previous owner Mickey Moused. First, I replaced the “temporary rubber freeze plug” on the front of the engine. Next, the fan belt was too short, so I bought a longer belt, and while I was replacing it, I found out what was causing the strange noise I would hear when the truck was idling . . . one of the fan bolts was simply resting in the fan. The P/O used bolts that are too short, so they were threaded in only about two turns into the water pump and the one had stripped-out. I am thankful that nothing went into my radiator. Also, I replaced the METRIC bolt that the joker used to hold the alternator in place. I spent a few minutes wondering why the P/O used a 12-inch diameter steering wheel after he forgot to replace the P/S pump and hoses when he did the engine swap. My steering box is probably now junk because the inlet and outlet ports are full of dirt and debris.

SPIRIT OF 76 CHEVY 06-07-2010 04:50 AM

i look at it and then took it for a ride

dabruce15 06-07-2010 02:43 PM

:metal:
Installed a late model steering wheel, even got the horn to work, and replaced the track bar and new bushings.

DorianB 06-07-2010 02:57 PM

Tried to pick up some used tires to last until I save up to get some new rims. Tires plus guy said the rubber that was on my truck was from 68, they had to come look since no one knnew what size 7.00 15LT was :)

Marc33 06-07-2010 06:20 PM

didnt actually work on the truck, but picked up the new motor from the machine shop, and bought the headers, fuel pump and the carb. Dropped of trans to be built. Should be done on thursday.

This weekend, time to install the motor!!

Scott Webster 06-07-2010 06:43 PM

Installed rear tires, double checked for leaks (still leaks out behind the yoke). Centered the backend with the adjustable panhard bar. Dropped down and backed out of the garage just to drive it a little. I love the sound of open headers. Sucks that it leaks.

Hart_Rod 06-07-2010 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New shoes, ......:sexy:.......