The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=507111)

mud.man.rj 09-25-2012 08:20 PM

Re: Our "What are we going to do?" 66 Suburban Build

Interesting music, goes with the Sub theme, crazy cool. Love the burnout.

RockTonka 09-27-2012 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud.man.rj (Post 5612662)
Interesting music, goes with the Sub theme, crazy cool. Love the burnout.

Thanks mud.man, I thought he did a great job with it. I knew the tune, but couldn't place it until he told me...

a classical rendition of Thunderstruck by AC/DC :metal::metal::metal:

McMurphy 09-28-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5615147)
Thanks mud.man, I thought he did a great job with it. I knew the tune, but couldn't place it until he told me...

a classical rendition of Thunderstruck by AC/DC :metal::metal::metal:

One of my fave AC/DC songs too! Who did this version please?

likaroc13 09-28-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMurphy (Post 5618107)
One of my fave AC/DC songs too! Who did this version please?

I was wondering myself. At first thought maybe "2Cellos", but I can't find where they performed it. We saw them in concert earlier this year as an opener for Elton John. They're pretty awesome. Here are some AC/DC songs that they did:

"Highway to Hell":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqbClLq1NkY

"You Shook Me All Night Long":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcA_XQkhzg

"Back in Black":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XnjXdPAmbg

oklahomaduner 09-28-2012 11:04 PM

Yea 2cellos are pretty dang good! 2 girls have a band called "Bond", they do quite a few song's, they did a good job at Kashmir. But the one in the video is David Garrett, he has probably 10-15 songs like this.
Posted via Mobile Device

McMurphy 09-29-2012 05:08 PM

Ok man, I was just about to go down to the garage and cut exhaust passes thru my center frame crossmember, until I saw yours.

I am sooooo stealing your set up now!
Thanks for posting the pics of that, I like that set up real well! My only addition may be exhaust dumps, and exiting the body behind the rear wheels as opposed to in front of them like you did....

Thank you for this, now I can move on to other stuff that really needs done !!

RockTonka 09-29-2012 10:39 PM

Excellent, I'm glad something we did is helping somebody else!:metal:

clemdaddy 09-30-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5602397)
Good meeting you too Chad, we're going to have to arrange a meet & greet or something so we can put more faces to names around here...

sounds like a great idea... make it happen???
lots of us live close enough to join in and the weather is much more agreeable.

RockTonka 10-01-2012 03:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 5620596)
sounds like a great idea... make it happen???
lots of us live close enough to join in and the weather is much more agreeable.

We're all for it, any time/location ideas??

We had an excessive engine vibration and after a bit more research, fiqured out that we had the wrong flexplate...turns out the flexplates for the Gen 6 blocks are specific down to cast or forged cranks :uhmk:.

We had Jeg's send the correct flexplate (a Hay's unit) and borrowed a friends lift to swap it in Fri. night...since we were feeling spoiled being able to stand under the burb to work, we went ahead and replaced all the rear brake lines and rear wheel cylinders (couldn't get a good bleed before).

The boy got a chance to cruise around a bit Sunday after dropping a Sunpro tach on the dash, but we're struggling with a tempermental electric fuel pump set-up...likes to get hot and shut down. We're researching in-tank options now.

RockTonka 10-08-2012 02:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We pulled an all-nighter Fri. and into Sat. and got a few things done.

My boy came in early Fri.and chased down a rear swaybar off a junk yard 84 Camaro...brackets, bar, and all for $25. Earlier last week I bought a Boyd's tank from nomrlz here on the board, that and a by-pass regulator made it in Fri also :metal: We also picked up a bit of metal to make a rear hitch...

So we had the burb up on the lift by 7 pm Fri night and pulled it off Sat about the same time...

RockTonka 10-08-2012 02:11 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Pics of hitch...

shok 10-08-2012 02:21 AM

How much of the Camaro swaybar bracketry did you reuse and how much was fabbed? How much of an improvement do you feel?
Posted via Mobile Device

RockTonka 10-08-2012 02:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shok (Post 5634971)
How much of the Camaro swaybar bracketry did you reuse and how much was fabbed? How much of an improvement do you feel?
Posted via Mobile Device

We used most of the stock bracketry...turned the bar upside down and backwards, opened up the id of the axle saddle brackets to fit the larger dia. of the 12 bolt and welded them to the housing (needed 3/8" spacers between those and the bushing clamps to clear the brake line), welded some 1"x2" c-channel to the frame to space the link brackets off the frame and bolted it in.

I think it made a huge difference, we have a 1 1/4" bar on the front and could really feel the rear wallow around. The rear is a 7/8" bar and tightened the burb down substantially, feels like a slot car :lol:

piratexpress1369a 10-08-2012 09:50 AM

that looks great ..you guys always do cool stuff

C@rnut001 10-08-2012 12:18 PM

Excellent work guys, that looks killer and overall, I am loving the look and stance of your Burb! Keep up the awesome job!

justcuz 10-08-2012 01:36 PM

Coming along nicely! Nice job on the rear sway bar, up out of the way and very functional. You have still kept it pretty stock looking in spite of all the great engine, trans and suspension upgrades. Thats cool, kinda of the sleeper thing going on.
Still thinking of silver instead of white on the outside? You might also want to consider a lighter blue, sort of like the 57 Chevy 2 tone color combo. It had the darker blue like your main color and a light blue on the roof and between the chrome trim on the sides. If I can find it on the internet I'll post it up.
You should be very proud of your boy, he has developed a great fondness for old iron and the ability to work on it too. Kudos for raising a great kid.

shok 10-08-2012 01:51 PM

Thanks for the details, I might copy that. I was looking for an inexpensive way to add sways to my 66 and this looks like a good start for the rear. That thing is scary to corner compared to what I'm used to.

McMurphy 10-08-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shok (Post 5635563)
Thanks for the details, I might copy that. I was looking for an inexpensive way to add sways to my 66 and this looks like a good start for the rear. That thing is scary to corner compared to what I'm used to.

Yep me too !!
I just raided the photos and added this page to my Favorites folder of stuff to do to my builds!
Thanks guys, this stuff is so helpful !!

And your build is awesome, I want to do a burb or delivery one day too !!

scotts62 10-08-2012 05:36 PM

Looking good!!! :metal:

I need to take some time and swing by and check that dude out sometime..

RockTonka 10-08-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratexpress1369a (Post 5635196)
that looks great ..you guys always do cool stuff

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@rnut001 (Post 5635401)
Excellent work guys, that looks killer and overall, I am loving the look and stance of your Burb! Keep up the awesome job!

Thanks guys, we appreciate that!

RockTonka 10-08-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justcuz (Post 5635525)
Coming along nicely! Nice job on the rear sway bar, up out of the way and very functional. You have still kept it pretty stock looking in spite of all the great engine, trans and suspension upgrades. Thats cool, kinda of the sleeper thing going on. Thanks, we're having fun with it like this :metal:
Still thinking of silver instead of white on the outside? You might also want to consider a lighter blue, sort of like the 57 Chevy 2 tone color combo. It had the darker blue like your main color and a light blue on the roof and between the chrome trim on the sides. If I can find it on the internet I'll post it up. Kinda sounds cool, we'd like to see pics if you find any
You should be very proud of your boy, he has developed a great fondness for old iron and the ability to work on it too. Kudos for raising a great kid. Thank you, his mom and I are very proud of both he and his sister! It's very rewarding to be able to spend this time with my son and make the transition from more father to more friend as they mature

;)

RockTonka 10-08-2012 11:02 PM

shok & McMurphy,
always cool when we can give just a little back to the board that we've gotten so much from :metal:

RockTonka 10-08-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotts62 (Post 5635952)
Looking good!!! :metal:

I need to take some time and swing by and check that dude out sometime..

Anytime Scott...or, since we seem to be running well now, maybe we could cruise by your place one of these days??

scotts62 10-08-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockTonka (Post 5636720)
Anytime Scott...or, since we seem to be running well now, maybe we could cruise by your place one of these days??

Sounds good :metal:
Posted via Mobile Device

justcuz 10-12-2012 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of a promo model. The colors are not quite right in the photo. The colors are called Larkspur blue and Harbor blue. The lighter color on top is actually more of a baby blue than the robins egg it looks like.