The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   tuba trucks (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=648457)

Grizz1963 10-30-2016 05:38 PM

Re: tuba trucks

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7756184)
One day I will make it .

John its a pilgrimage worth doing.

These folks know how to be hospitable.

I cannot thank Clem and every other person involved enough for all they did for me.

dwcardfan 10-30-2016 10:02 PM

Thanks again Clem for another great experience! I had a blast.

Jeff La 10-30-2016 11:26 PM

Man I can't believe I missed another one. Glad to see all had a good time. It's been a rough year and a half but hopefully things are looking up.

I just acquired another truck, a 66 that was a project that was started on and stopped. Hopefully it puts me closer to driving one soon. Clem it actually passed through Arkansas for a few years before it made it's way to me. I'm still trying to get up your way for a visit.

Grizz1963 11-01-2016 05:21 AM

Happy Birthday Clem !!

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/m...psoiil4u38.jpg

flashed 11-01-2016 07:08 AM

Happy Birthday from here too.

67cheby 11-01-2016 09:14 AM

Happy Birthday to one of the greatest guys i have ever had the privilege to call a friend!

Bomp 11-01-2016 03:21 PM

Happy Birthday.
May it be the best b-day ever.
Get ready for a spankin'

66ChevyMax 11-01-2016 04:49 PM

Happy Birthday!

duallyjams 11-01-2016 05:28 PM

Happy Birthday :ennyd:

Chevy Apache 11-01-2016 06:19 PM

Happy birthday Clem hope you have a great day
Ps thanks for all your help Pete :ennyd:

dwcardfan 11-01-2016 06:52 PM

Happy birthday!!!!!

Captainfab 11-02-2016 12:18 AM

Happy Birthday Clem! :)

Jeff La 11-04-2016 11:36 AM

Happy Birthday Clem, wishing you many more

clemdaddy 11-04-2016 08:48 PM

a big thank you to all the well-wishers out there… 66 years old but still going strong. every birthday at this point is very appreciated and hopefully there will be many more. I've got a bunch of trucks to build yet and as of today… quite a few customers who want them built, so that gives purpose to the retirement time that Tuba Trucks brings. I do want to thank you guys for putting up with this old fart and next year… get your butt over to the October (toy drive) party. definitely worth looking forward to, check it out.

this weekend i promise to take pics of the current projects and where we are with them. so please check back in...

flashed 11-04-2016 08:57 PM

Clem ,I am hoping to come next year ,can you recommend a place to stay close by ?

uk54 11-05-2016 03:34 AM

Clem another happy birthday whish, I have to say that as the years clock up they do seem to get shorter and I can hardly believe a years gone by since we agreed a deal on Tina who is now in my shop here in UK after a long cruise across the Atlantic, she passed our MOT test (inspection) with no problems. I am waiting final registration and being issued with tag number, then for a legal maiden test drive. Will post up some pics when I get her on the road.

Thanks again Michael

clemdaddy 11-10-2016 08:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
It's been a while since this old man has felt like there's a brotherhood out there that comes together occasionally and does some really really cool stuff. But now is one of those times. Thanks go out to Bomp, Grizz, Mike, Paul, Donnie, Chad… I know I'm forgetting some… sorry, senior moment.
I do appreciate you guys and I had a great time ( Big Thank You) and I wish that Don and Bret had made it up too. but... then theres next year.

OK enough of the sentimental stuff… here's whats going on in Tuba's World. We are 'Back To The 50s'. I understand that this is a thread about 60-66 but right now we have 3 builds from the older cool trucks and since this place is our home, here is where we post it…

First up is a Tuba Truck that started out coming to us a couple of years ago as a 1-ton step side. A straight 1952 5 window truck... but who really wants a 1-ton step side, it has the worlds longest step bed. So, we put the good cab and clip on a much shorter half ton frame and chopped down a 10 foot factory flatbed to come up with something different. The plan is stock drive train and suspension, just everything restored like new. Do a killer paint job and interior and see if it draws interest. Here's some pics of Flatty-FiftyTwo.

bj383ss 11-10-2016 09:11 PM

Nice. Thanks for the Update Clem. Looking forward to this build. Hopefully I can make it up next year if even for just a day trip. Don't know if Jaybird will come but I would definitely like to bring her to one when she is done.

Bret

Bomp 11-10-2016 11:26 PM

Never been homesick before especially since I'm home. Or am I home away from home?..
Wish'n I was there pullin' wrenches on Flatty-FiftyTwo.
Pickin' up dog bombs or something simple like Christmas light wiring. Chair repair.

All I can say is be careful Fellas cause Clemdaddys place isn't just a hang out, it feels like home.

Adoption papers are signed and in the mail.
Give Gus a tug on his tire rope toy for me Pop.

mjh1965 11-11-2016 03:07 AM

I am looking forward to this one , as it's also one of my favourite style trucks . I know it's a 60-66 thread but it's where we look to see what's going on at Tuba Trucks . So keep the pictures coming.

dwcardfan 11-11-2016 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7765291)
Never been homesick before especially since I'm home. Or am I home away from home?..
Pickin' up dog bombs or something simple like Christmas light wiring. Chair repair.

All I can say is be careful Fellas cause Clemdaddys place isn't just a hang out, it feels like home.

So when are you and the wife moving down here to Arkansas? I think you would fit right in.

clemdaddy 11-12-2016 09:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7760633)
Clem ,I am hoping to come next year ,can you recommend a place to stay close by ?

Coming over next year would be great. No problem on a place to stay, done deal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by uk54 (Post 7760818)
Clem another happy birthday whish, I have to say that as the years clock up they do seem to get shorter and I can hardly believe a years gone by since we agreed a deal on Tina who is now in my shop here in UK after a long cruise across the Atlantic, she passed our MOT test (inspection) with no problems. I am waiting final registration and being issued with tag number, then for a legal maiden test drive. Will post up some pics when I get her on the road.

Thanks again Michael

You're more than welcome Michael… Happy Motoring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bj383ss (Post 7765177)
Nice. Thanks for the Update Clem. Looking forward to this build. Hopefully I can make it up next year if even for just a day trip. Don't know if Jaybird will come but I would definitely like to bring her to one when she is done.

Bret

Good deal Brett… I bet Jaybird could use a road trip, looking forward to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 7765291)

Thanks Bomp. I will return the signed papers with the BBW you got from Paul. Still collecting cardboard but soon on its way. Had great fun with you , Grizz, Murph and his very cool lady staying with us this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7765394)
I am looking forward to this one , as it's also one of my favourite style trucks . I know it's a 60-66 thread but it's where we look to see what's going on at Tuba Trucks . So keep the pictures coming.

I agree on the 50s trucks. My first truck build was my 48 that I still have and its up for a redo. Missed you this year Martin… next year for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwcardfan (Post 7765819)
So when are you and the wife moving down here to Arkansas? I think you would fit right in.

Exactly… a perfect fit.

The second build in the "Back to the Fifties' chapter of Tuba is a very complete 1950 model that is begging to stay original. It is just too nice to modify and the owner is online with this thinking. He has sent the 216 babbit motor out for a rebuild and we are going to start with a very small amount of floor repair. There is a couple of places where Daniel will throw a patch at the truck but overall its in unbelievable shape. This truck and I came to earth the same year, just wish I was in as good of shape…

We didn't get a picture of the complete truck until the front clip was off but then we noticed that it was repainted green. Originally a burgundy color which I can't recall ever seeing… I hope the owner will want it painted the original color because there is a ton of green ones out there and that burgundy is beautiful.
And here she is…

rusty76 11-12-2016 07:45 PM

Cool stuff

Modges'66 11-22-2016 08:37 PM

Very cool, Clem!
Both of those trucks are in unbelievable condition!...My dad's '48 was pretty much scrap from the floor-pan down...door bottoms, rockers & floor were replaced. Everything else was just dented, but you would never know it now. Although it would have been nice to start with something better! LOL!

clemdaddy 11-23-2016 08:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7766624)
Cool stuff

thanks Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modges'66 (Post 7775324)
Very cool, Clem!
Both of those trucks are in unbelievable condition!...My dad's '48 was pretty much scrap from the floor-pan down...door bottoms, rockers & floor were replaced. Everything else was just dented, but you would never know it now. Although it would have been nice to start with something better! LOL!

Thanks Mike… My first truck build was a 48, unfortunately it has fallen into a state of disrepair or is it despair. the following 58 truck was a complete basket case…

this 1958 came from an auction and I never had any intentions except to rob the good stuff from it and scrap the rest. It was a deluxe half ton cab with all the window and grill chrome in good shape, big back window, deluxe heater, good steering wheel, all the deluxe interior stuff, 235 six that turns over.

the frame was a weird stacked 1-ton 18 footer with no bed. the cab was rusted throughout and what wasn't rusted was smashed up pretty bad. can't build them all and too old to build the bad ones anymore besides theres a 58 project outback that needs these parts.

we did cut the complete front end off to make a wall hanger…

duallyjams 11-23-2016 07:50 PM

That would look cool with a neon tuba truck light in the front of the hood or maybe in the grill.

Grizz1963 11-24-2016 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clemdaddy (Post 7775714)
thanks Rusty

Thanks Mike… My first truck build was a 48, unfortunately it has fallen into a state of disrepair or is it despair. the following 58 truck was a complete basket case…

this 1958 came from an auction and I never had any intentions except to rob the good stuff from it and scrap the rest. It was a deluxe half ton cab with all the window and grill chrome in good shape, big back window, deluxe heater, good steering wheel, all the deluxe interior stuff, 235 six that turns over.

the frame was a weird stacked 1-ton 18 footer with no bed. the cab was rusted throughout and what wasn't rusted was smashed up pretty bad. can't build them all and too old to build the bad ones anymore besides theres a 58 project outback that needs these parts.

we did cut the complete front end off to make a wall hanger…

Perfect way for a pile of scrap to end up.

Wall hanger status raises it to a new level and life expectancy.

Perfectly jealous now.

Look forward to seeing it up.

clemdaddy 12-08-2016 08:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Time for an update on the "Back to the Fifties" sessions at Tuba Trucks. It's crazy, but I parked my old 48 pickup outside in plain sight and like a magnet all these 50 model trucks started showing up. The count is up to 5 right now that want various forms of resto or upgrades and that doesn't even include the redo on my 48 or the Cam-e-lo '58 that will soon be heading towards the launching pad.
Swamped comes to mind, maybe more like stretched thin but right now... I need help!

The pics are of the 50 resto project… floor and metal work completed, waiting on next phase.
The black 50 model that is sub-framed and needs transmission work and suffers from a leaky heater core.
The green 54 needs all kinds of mechanical work to return it to like original status with all rebuilt drivetrain and interior.
Two of the trucks that are not shown at this time are a 51 one-ton whose owner hasn't completely decided how far he wants go in the restoration and our Flatty-fiftytwo that is torn down and the chassis is 99% done. Pics on those soon, but for now here's the ones mentioned above, did I mention I need help…

rusty76 12-08-2016 10:02 PM

Awesome

Bomp 12-08-2016 10:03 PM

Glad to see you're up to your arm pits in work.
Not a day goes by without me wishin' I was there.

Palf70Step 12-09-2016 06:20 AM

Nice trucks.

clemdaddy 12-21-2016 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas... enjoy your friends and family, and have a wonderful New Year.

duallyjams 12-21-2016 06:15 PM

Merry Christmas and I will be looking forward to all the Tuba Trucks projects in the new year.

uk54 12-25-2016 07:37 AM

Merry Christmas to Clem & Kim from Michael & Ann in the UK

(Tinas new Guardians)

rusty76 12-25-2016 10:26 AM

Merry Christmas

northern 85 12-25-2016 10:38 AM

Merry Christmas!!!

clemdaddy 12-29-2016 08:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Been progressing on the 52 flatty… Got the cab stripped down, fixed floors and kick panels and prepped for the bed liner to be sprayed under the floor. Speaking of the floor, one of the unsafe things about these old trucks is the single reservoir master cylinder, so we replaced it with a dual which meant that the floor had to be modified.

clemdaddy 12-29-2016 08:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also got some time on the chassis. We're going pretty original with this truck with a 235 six and granny 4-speed. Just everything is freshened up.

clemdaddy 12-29-2016 11:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
This is a cab that we've been working on for a fellow in Louisiana. Doing just the metal work, body work and paint.

rusty76 12-30-2016 12:09 AM

I really like those rear meats on the chassis. What tires are those? Looking good,real good.