The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   52 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=206021)

pgf545 02-25-2009 08:45 AM

Re: 52 Project

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrrieG (Post 3163476)
Ben, you are SO right, best do do the worst side first, then at least the second seems easier.

Well I did it backwards but I have good reason...I can build confidence from the easier side and not get so frustrated...lol. I think it will be ok but the prefectionist in me is coming out and I need to get over that...I have to keep telling myself that I am not building a 100 point show car. But we do want a nice driver that we can be proud of. Dad keeps telling me that it is fine but I want it nicer. Anyway I will get it the way I want before it gets painted.

Bernie

bensimmons_05 02-25-2009 09:29 AM

I know what you mean about the perfectionist part. In my build I kind of have to take a lot of time on everything or I will be stuck with nothing to do until I save up more money. So in a way I'm glad I'm not able to have all the parts at my disposal. keep up the good work, and if your going to do it, why not do it right like you have been, if you dont fix it like you want you will regret it later

b00sted 02-25-2009 10:04 AM

Nice build....

pgf545 04-15-2009 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well not much going on in truck land. I have been busy doing all sorts of other stuff and haven't had a lot of time to work on the truck. I did get the cab corners done and dad bought a new door and I got that fitted pretty nice. He also ordered new chrome and hardware stuff for the door so I will install that after paint. I put the cab back on the frame last weekend so that I could get the steering column mounted and figure out what we are going to do for seats. My mom bought some seats out of an Explorer but dad doesn't really like them but I think we are still going to use them. They will have to be cut down to look right. I ran a battery to them and gave them a "test" drive...lol. Anyway here are a couple of pictures from last weekend.

Bernie

Daniel U 04-15-2009 10:25 PM

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the update! Looks good.

solidaxel 04-16-2009 06:13 AM

Bernie, is that a NEW, NEW door !!

pgf545 04-16-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 3260163)
Bernie, is that a NEW, NEW door !!

Yep that is a New New door...That made my day....thanks Solid.

tim21391 04-16-2009 01:21 PM

that 572 is going to purr so nicely.. once you get done post up a video so we can hear it :)

pgf545 04-16-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim21391 (Post 3260631)
that 572 is going to purr so nicely.. once you get done post up a video so we can hear it :)

Well it is not actually a 572, I think it is a 468. My dad liked those valve covers so he bought them...lol. Maybe after we get it going we might build a 572 but for now that is what we got. It should still run pretty well. It has Edelbrock heads and a hydraulic roller cam. We didn't want to get to crazy cause we want to drive it. I will post a video once we get it running....may be a while though:smoke:.

Bernie

pgf545 04-19-2009 08:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got a little done today. I got the steering column in and also the throttle pedal. The steering column needs a little detail stuff but it is in. Now we can order the u-joints and shafts. Here are a couple of pictures.

Bernie

50adrod 04-19-2009 09:25 PM

your truck is looking good, nothing beats a big block I have a tweaked 454 in my 71 vette there is no mistaking a big block sound. here are a few pics of my steering setup. we have the same firewall and steering column and MII steering but mine is located a little to the left to clear my 5.3 maybe you can get some idea on the universals. I used a universal at the rack with built in shock absorbing to act as a rag joint, also I had to add a support to make things smooth. they recomend one anytime you use a 2 u joints or a double u joint. good luck
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...teering003.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...teering002.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...teering001.jpg

CAL 58 GMC 04-21-2009 10:53 AM

Hey Bernie, Your making some good progress on the truck and it's really coming together well! Have you and your Dad picked a color yet?

mylow53 04-21-2009 02:06 PM

nice bernie your steering seems to fit in well i like your headers. whats the plan for the trans shift? lots of guys are having issues with it clearing the brake arm. mine seemed to work out well with a simple bend in the linkage to clear. looks to me like your steering it a bit farther over than mine. you might want to think about a shift cable.
keep up the good work!
GT

4DSEVEN 04-21-2009 04:35 PM

Looks great!:metal:

Thanks for sharing the pic's it helps with my own project.

pgf545 04-21-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylow53 (Post 3270235)
nice bernie your steering seems to fit in well i like your headers. whats the plan for the trans shift? lots of guys are having issues with it clearing the brake arm. mine seemed to work out well with a simple bend in the linkage to clear. looks to me like your steering it a bit farther over than mine. you might want to think about a shift cable.
keep up the good work!
GT

Greg...one step ahead of ya...lol. This column has the shift linkage already built in for the cable. The shift arm on the bottom of the column has an adjustable arm on it. There are 4 little screws that hold it onto the column so I can index it. Then it can with a Lokar shift cable setup, so hopefully everything will work.

Thanks for the compliments they are what keeps me going. If our truck comes out half as nice as yours I will be thrilled.

Bernie

pgf545 04-21-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DSEVEN (Post 3270514)
Looks great!:metal:

Thanks for sharing the pic's it helps with my own project.

Thanks, Hey I lived off other peoples pictures on here, and I asked questions. If there is anything that you need more detail of I have lots more pictures or I can take what you need. I am starting to feel like I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not that damn train...lol.

Bernie

pgf545 04-21-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAL 58 GMC (Post 3269953)
Hey Bernie, Your making some good progress on the truck and it's really coming together well! Have you and your Dad picked a color yet?

Thanks, It is going to be some sort of red....ok I don't know the exact color but it is kinds like a dark candy red. He bought a little bit to spray and see if he likes the color on a panel. It looks almost maroon in the garage but lightens really nice in the light. Once we get something sprayed I will take some pictures.

Bernie

IvelDesigns 04-22-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgf545 (Post 3266855)
I got a little done today. I got the steering column in and also the throttle pedal. The steering column needs a little detail stuff but it is in. Now we can order the u-joints and shafts. Here are a couple of pictures.

Bernie

Is that a universal ididit column? and what length is it?

Looks sweet in your truck. I hope to have mine mocked up this weekend. Where do you plan to get your U joints and shaft from?

c10addict 04-22-2009 08:11 AM

NIce work! Can not wait to see it all come together!!

pgf545 04-22-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10addict (Post 3271774)
NIce work! Can not wait to see it all come together!!

c10, Thanks and I can't wait for it to come together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IvelDesigns (Post 3271444)
Is that a universal ididit column? and what length is it?

Looks sweet in your truck. I hope to have mine mocked up this weekend. Where do you plan to get your U joints and shaft from?

I will have to get the dimensions this weekend, we are going to get our u-joints from Ididit...me and my brothers got my dad a gift certificate for Christmas from there. It was just easier to go back to them. There are several places you can get them through though. I did some research last year and most places are about the same price....some a little higher and some a little lower. I decided that since we already had their column that if I ran into any problems it might be easier to get everything from the same place.

Bernie

CAL 58 GMC 04-22-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgf545 (Post 3271119)
Thanks, It is going to be some sort of red....ok I don't know the exact color but it is kinds like a dark candy red. He bought a little bit to spray and see if he likes the color on a panel. It looks almost maroon in the garage but lightens really nice in the light. Once we get something sprayed I will take some pictures.

Bernie

Cool!! I can't wait to see some color!

4DSEVEN 04-22-2009 04:51 PM

Bernie can you tell me what the length of your steering column bracket is if you recall?

Thanks.

Mark

pgf545 04-22-2009 10:21 PM

Mark, I am going to have to take a look at it this weekend. The truck is at my dads and I usually only go down there on the weekends. I will measure it for you. I am thinking it is about a 4 inches. Are you looking for the center of the column to the mounting flange? I made the rectangle block to adapt the mount to the original holes on the truck. One thing I noticed was the original column cutout is not centered between the gauges so when I put this column it is in the same location as the original but it was comfortable with where I have the seat located. I thought about centering it but wasn't sure if it would be to far over. Anyone else done that?

Bernie

4DSEVEN 04-23-2009 06:39 AM

I think they are measured to length from end to end.

4DSEVEN 04-25-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4DSEVEN (Post 3273650)
I think they are measured to length from end to end.

My mistake it looks like it is measured to the center of the drop.