The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=666495)

ibrown50 05-01-2017 06:34 PM

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuigley (Post 7924546)
Nice repair to that door Ian, but why does everyone want to cut great big speaker holes in them!

Thanks Bill I assume they cut holes to keep us busy :lol: Oh and I hope you're enjoying you're trip to the states

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7924656)
Great repair on the door . All I can say is there is more getting on up north than down south . You and bill are really starting to make headway.

It's still cold up here Martin so we've nowt better to do :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7925051)
Totally agree Bill, Martin.

I am closing the holes in my doors as well when I get to them.

That door repair really looks great Ian.

I think our excuse down South is that we have both had stuff happen and continue happening behind the scenes that needs tending, taking Focus away from hobbies.

I know what you mean Rian as John Lennon said "life is the thing that happens when you're busy making other plans"

Quote:

Originally Posted by realvc (Post 7925106)
Great repair work on your door and the paint is looking very nice too.

The type of work you do inspires the rest of us.

Thanks Vince, I think we all try to do the best we can with the skills God gave us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bears63 (Post 7925130)
You are doing some fantastic metal work. Looking real good!

Thanks Mike, you're comments are really appreciated :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7925280)
Nice work on the door Ian. The repairs came out really smooth

Thanks Dale but for me your thread is still the benchmark to which I aspire !

ibrown50 05-01-2017 06:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Very quick update,

After finishing the inside of the passenger door I got it hung and painted this weekend

Attachment 1647936

Attachment 1647937

Got the fender finished too

Attachment 1647938

The bad news is that I have to start the drivers side rust repairs now :waah:

Grizz1963 05-02-2017 02:33 AM

Your progress continues to make me smile.

Sitting here on a train to London its a good thing to read first thing in the morning.

Well done, again.

65sub 05-02-2017 10:52 AM

Nice progress Ian Paint is looking good.

forestb 05-02-2017 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man that color is familiar.

ibrown50 05-11-2017 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7931400)
Your progress continues to make me smile.

Sitting here on a train to London its a good thing to read first thing in the morning.

Well done, again.

Thanks Rian, for me the "virtual community" on he is really important, especially when you need a bit of motivation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7931612)
Nice progress Ian Paint is looking good.

Thank you Dale, at the rate you're going you'll be painting soon enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by forestb (Post 7931883)
Man that color is familiar.

Thanks Forest, thats a fine looking truck you have there

ibrown50 05-11-2017 05:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Apologies for the non-truck related post, but I thought I would share a bit of a cautionary tale.

My Mum always says “never say never, you’ll live to regret it” and I must say I try hard to live by this but now and again I suffer a lapse or two. Previous lapses have included, "I’ll never go to see Dianna Ross", "I’ll never shave my head". "I’ll never wear a pink tie" (the list goes on):lol:

Now, in the UK before you can ride a motorcycle on the road you must pass your Compulsory Basic Training test(CBT), this allows you to ride on the road but you are limited to the size and power of the motorcycle until you pass a full test. A couple of weeks ago my wife passed her CBT and has bought a motorcycle, “Hun” she said “you’ll have to get another bike too so you can ride with me”. She didn’t have to ask twice.:bann:

And so, to my most recent lapse, anyone who knows me will know I love motorcycles and especially the air cooled “big twin” variety. A year or two back I was out for dinner with friends and (and I do recall saying this) I said “I will never buy a liquid cooled Harley, Harley’s should be air cooled”.

Well what do you know, look what showed up at my house today. In my defence, I got a really good deal on it. :metal:

Attachment 1651151

Attachment 1651152

Attachment 1651153

I don’t think I’ll regret this one.

mjh1965 05-11-2017 05:20 PM

Well done , you'll enjoy riding it this summer. But it'll make progress on the truck slow down and I am speaking from experience

65sub 05-11-2017 08:03 PM

Nice bike. Looks like fun

Grizz1963 05-12-2017 03:42 AM

Just Lovely Ian.

Congrats.

ibrown50 05-16-2017 05:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7940366)
Well done , you'll enjoy riding it this summer. But it'll make progress on the truck slow down and I am speaking from experience

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65sub (Post 7940513)
Nice bike. Looks like fun

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7940773)
Just Lovely Ian.

Congrats.

Thank you gentlemen,

You know those 10 minute jobs, the ones that turn out to be not quite the 10 minute job you thought, well I've just finished one.:lol:

A while back I bought a pair of Jeep Cherokee check links to replace the ones that came with the truck (yes honestly this was the passenger side check link)

Attachment 1652530

I got them on eBay with nuts and roll pins for about $15 including shipping, a bargain I thought,:metal:

Attachment 1652532

Having my newly painted door with nothing stopping it opening to the point of destruction was not ideal, I had 10 minutes spare so I thought "I know I'll fit the check link". :dohh:

I soon hit a bit of a problem was the original screws were seized solid, I could have taken them out before the door was painted or actually hung and adjusted (Like any sensible person might have done) but oh no. :dum:

Attachment 1652531

I tried releasing oil, a long bar and even cutting a slot in one to see if a straight bit would grip better than a pozi all to no avail. There was no room to drill and I didn't want to take the door off so I broke out the die grinder and a ball end carbide burr ( a risky strategy with a freshly painted door) and ground the middles of the screws out.

Attachment 1652533

Any way about an hour and a half later my 10 minute job was complete, It really is unbelievable how well these work, you would swear they were OE

Attachment 1652534

Grizz1963 05-17-2017 04:39 AM

What a lovely piece in the passenger door.....:mm:

The Cherokee units seem to be the perfect replacement. And thy can be adjusted to suit.

ibrown50 05-22-2017 03:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizz1963 (Post 7944781)
What a lovely piece in the passenger door.....:mm:

The Cherokee units seem to be the perfect replacement. And thy can be adjusted to suit.

Thanks Rian, I agree they look factory

I have decided to clear off the un-finished jobs list before doing the driver’s side cab repairs. These jobs include rebuilding the rear brakes then finishing up the brake lines and bleeding the system, they also include getting a choke cable on the carb, running the engine up properly, doing the timing etc. and filling the trans after its rebuild.

Another job to do is the panhard bar. You may remember from a while back in this thread I discovered that my truck has a ’65 rear axle, I realised this only after I had ordered a 64 panhard bar from POL. Because of length and bracket position I couldn’t use either a 64 or 65 bar.

Attachment 1654201

So when life gives you lemons and all that…..

If I have to shorten the bar I have a number of options, I could simply cut and weld, I could make it adjustable at both ends or by using a LH thread rod end and weld insert I could make it adjustable without removing it (it will work like a turnbuckle). This seemed the best option. I ordered a forged LH thread rod end from Speedway, and a LH thread weld bung from a local rally car supplier which even has flats milled onto it for easy adjustment.

Attachment 1654202

These pictures show how much it had be shortened, one advantage of making it fully adjustable is that your measurements can be +/- about a ¼” and you’ll be fine.

Attachment 1654203

Attachment 1654204

ibrown50 05-22-2017 04:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
This is a suspension piece so a good prep is important to get effective weld penetration,

Attachment 1654208

A good trick when tacking things like this is to lay the job in a piece of angle bar while tacking up it helps keep things aligned and means you don't have to earth the job..

Attachment 1654209

I got in real tight and used plenty of heat to get good penetration, I’ve no way of rotating the bar while welding so I ended up doing 4 separate runs doing opposite sides to reduce distortion, I got a good strong weld but boy was it ugly. I dressed it back carefully on a grinding wheel and then dipped it in some gold paint just to stop the bare metal rusting (yes, I know the match is awful :lol: but I’ll find something that matches better another time)

Attachment 1654210

I ended the day by trying it “for a fit”. I will need to ensure I can set it level once the truck is built up so I‘ll probably drill another couple of pairs of holes in it so I can adjust the height if needed, I’m not sure whether to weld or bolt the chassis bracket in place (any suggestions?), but that’s a job for another day

Attachment 1654211

Attachment 1654212

MacQuigley 05-22-2017 04:37 PM

Having only read the first part of this on my phone while I was in the garage I was going to say hold from doing anything until I check out the spare Panhard Bar I have here, but looks like I'm too late.

If for any reason this doesn't work let me know and I'll look it out.

ibrown50 06-21-2017 08:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I've had a busy couple of weeks, I have changed jobs and now have a 2 hour commute to work (each way:waah:) so I am having to get used to that. I've also had a load of other stuff, including giving a friend mum her first ever pillion ride on a motorcycle, as part of her 80th birthday celebrations!!

Anyway I decided to bolt the panhard bracket to the frame rather than weld it, so made a simple plate to attach the upright brackets to,

Attachment 1663417

I also drilled a couple of extra holes in the mounting bracket to give me some adjustment and allow me to compensate for any drop in ride height once the bed is back on.

At the point the bracket attaches the frame runs up a little creating a gap this means the 2 “legs” on the bracket have to be different lengths in order to remain vertical.

Attachment 1663418

It's always tricky measuring gaps like this, I use one of these,

Attachment 1663419

This one is metric but you can buy them in inches too. I bought a few of these when I was last in Japan, this is the last one, removed from its wrapper specially for the occasion. Although intended as a bore gauge they are great for gaps too. Each increment on this one is 1/10 of a millimetre which is 4 thou so they are incredibly accurate.

Before tacking you have to make sure the legs are vertical, square to each other and parallel. This really is one of those occasions where having 6 arms would be great :lol:

Attachment 1663421

Attachment 1663420

MacQuigley 06-21-2017 09:18 AM

Wish Id gone that rout and made a bracket for the chassis rather than modifying the one on the trailing arm!

ibrown50 06-25-2017 04:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
A quick update on the panahrd rod. After getting everything tacked up the chassis bracket was welded and painted.

Attachment 1664728

Attachment 1664729

As mentioned in the last post I had decided to bolt the bracket to the frame, I found these great high tensile bolts and grade 8 nuts at my local suppliers, they have a nice low profile so don't hang down too far under the frame and have integral washers,

Attachment 1664730

The bracket looks good bolted up (if I do say so myself :lol:)

Attachment 1664731

Attachment 1664732

ibrown50 06-25-2017 04:31 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And everything lined up great

Attachment 1664741

Before

Attachment 1664742

And after

Attachment 1664743

I picked these flow masters up a week or two back, they've been used (but not much) at £60 ($76 ) for the pair I couldn't say no, so I guess I'll be thinking about the exhaust next :lol:

Attachment 1664744

Grizz1963 06-25-2017 05:25 PM

Great job on the bracketing Ian.

And those Flowmasters.... :metal:

I paid a lot more for mine.

You did well.

mjh1965 06-25-2017 06:09 PM

Looking good Ian . I have yet to do my exhaust so I will be watching what route you go . Great work as usual.

MacQuigley 06-25-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjh1965 (Post 7976406)
Looking good Ian . I have yet to do my exhaust so I will be watching what route you go . Great work as usual.

Snap! Ive still to come up with something for mine and I could use a couple of boxes like those for my C3!

Grizz1963 07-01-2017 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacQuigley (Post 7976454)
Snap! Ive still to come up with something for mine and I could use a couple of boxes like those for my C3!

I love these forums because we all learn from each other.

Trust me, mine is built in my head, but I will be watching you too Ian.

C10Glenn 08-22-2017 05:05 PM

Just read the whole thread, informative, witty and a good read, Perfect thread and very very impressive work

ibrown50 08-29-2017 04:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen, thank you for your kind comments:thumbs:

A bit of an update (across 2 posts) .....Part A

I’ve been doing a lot of odd jobs recently, I finally got around to fitting the choke cable,

Attachment 1685431

Put the belts on the engine, put fluid in the PS pump etc. etc.

Attachment 1685432

So before I do my final round of rust repairs (I’m saving that for the dark nights :lol: ) I’ve decide to do the fuel tank and exhaust.

I need to know where the exhaust will exit the truck and I need to know how high above the frame the tank can sit so before starting on these jobs I’ve fitted the rear cross sill and new rear bumper which is a ’67. For anyone thinking of fitting a ’67 bumper to their 64-66 truck I’m here to tell you it’s an absolute doddle. :clap::clap: I bought brand new rear brackets from Brothers along with the new rear bumper and it all bolted straight up, (no grinding out holes or anything like that), they even come with new nuts and bolts.

Attachment 1685433

Attachment 1685434

Next task was to assemble a decent selection of exhaust bends and connectors

Attachment 1685435