The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Build that 71 402 already (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=730025)

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 12-06-2021 10:56 PM

Re: Build that 71 402 already

1 Attachment(s)
Nice to finish this area of the dash.

pjmoreland 12-06-2021 11:17 PM

Beautiful!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-13-2022 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Early in this project I picked up the NOS dome light bezel. They're not exactly plentiful in bling.

Last night I couldn't sleep thinking about installing it after figuring things out. When I took the old one down I thought it installed with screws right:lol: Don't tell anyone, but of all the screw holes that needed to be welded in the cab I missed those, should have known just by they weren't drilled square.

I hear they rattle, go figure, the one in my C20 has clear sealant around the outer parameter - not really a nice look. I figured 3M strip caulk has a place here, avoiding clip & lens interference. Once figured out I think it took a minute to install that & the harness. Snugged right up.

I imagine there's little or no visual difference this & repro. though. Speak of harnesses, I ordered them last January, and it only took 11 months to get them. Really I never got the turn switch, but I found an NOS. Wouldn't surprise me I receive the turn switch at some point. They sent the harnesses as they built them. Yeah, 11 months worth so far. Love COVID & that, maybe the chinese can build the harnesses too:smoke:

For anyone wondering how to remove these, the clips on the housing only spring one side each. The RH clip spring is accessed from underneath & the LH clip spring from above. Perhaps a good place for a credit card.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 01-20-2022 07:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
When my body & paint guy offered to paint the grille I didn't know he was going PAINT the grille, pictures can't do it justice, at all.

He sprayed it twice, because the first time exposed marks inside the cells, probably natural, but he wasn't having it, so he sanded everything smooth, hit it again and used the same clear coat he sprayed the body with. It's heavier than once before for sure.

This is near as much his project as mine, couldn't do it without him. I pay him say 50% more than he wants though, on-going:lol: He wanted $200 to finish this grille:lol:

It's the same grille I installed new early 90s, seems it was $50-60 at a place called Chevyland. It was better than the NOS acquired over the years, so off to bed. Be a good day when I install it - the truck will have returned from its maiden start, God willing;)

mr.mud1 01-20-2022 10:35 PM

looking good Tony

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 02-20-2022 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finished the steering and tailgate yesterday. We started on the doors only to find out the original 3M tape on original molding clips are no good after 40-50 years:lol:

Getter-Done 02-20-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 9037521)
Finished the steering and tailgate yesterday. We started on the doors only to find out the original 3M tape on original molding clips are no good after 40-50 years:lol:

Looking Great.
Probably give 3M a call on Tuesday for warranty:lol:

68bowtie 02-20-2022 10:44 PM

Oooooh pretty

TexasLS1 02-20-2022 11:40 PM

These updates are fantastic, hard work pays off.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-04-2022 08:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks.....

Well I finally tied in the shift this and that, and the steering column this and that too, what an adventure. As steering goes, first I had to do it wrong to do it right, not a big deal. Turns out you can't install the upper steering shaft correctly with the intermediate shaft mounted to the rag joint, go figure. Anyway, got that done the other day and was happy to see I didn't have to mess with the steering box & rag joint formerly installed. So then came the shift business today, which kept me running for a while.

I tried installing what I thought might be the correct assm. for the bottom of the shift control rod to the shift shaft control cross using kit 1394293 / 22503153. Yeah, but not really, my fingers are real sore. I can't see that kit working, couldn't install what I know as the right spring clip. Perhaps there are different rods or clips.

.............. So I went with what I knew would work by tailoring a single flange grommet (aka step bumper # PBCS51612). I inserted that into the cross from the LH side, added a regular flat washer on the RH side, and the clip slid in nicely while there's no play.

Then came the flustering shift detent business for non-tilt, yeah that took a while. Once the positions added up, I ended up adjusting the play off the detent by finding a happy spot, and slowly tightening the lower strap over and over while repeatedly checking the shift, because even when I thought it was right, tightening the lower strap said nope, nope, not there either, nice try, not really close, yadda yadda.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-05-2022 08:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hung the doors and caught the hood springs today. I tell you this guy Josh is a God-send. When we dove in we didn't know what we were getting into, especially me. We dealt 10,500 for paint body & materials near 7 years ago. I'll end up around 18 not counting extras. He's never asked for a dime more than agreed on. I'm still getting a deal, how many guys do you know will pick up and deliver a cab and bed:chevy: moldings & dry run too. He's Apache Indian and something like German.

Dry run proved a nice guide but wasn't quite where we ended up most places. The RH is great, that the side that was t-boned. They punched 30 some holes in that door and bondo. Good to know it's all steel again, thanks to Josh. RH door latch proved a challenge, but by my eyes the LH side needs a slight adjustment.

We lag bolted the hinges onto one of too many carts I've built for this disaster;):smoke::metal:, sprayed them down deep creep, probably half a can, and worked them good. Josh is a strong fellow too and used a old fan belt while I supported the other side as we prayed. Really though, they went on much easier than expected.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-24-2022 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed the duct, compressor & finished the brakes, she's ready for fenders.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-19-2022 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a little update, hopefully she has a full body this Saturday, though I know we won't finish moldings or perhaps the skirts. I wonder if it would be worth it to fit the fenders, pull them to install with the skirts on? Hmm.

I freshened up the vacuum reserve can, wow what a nice piece. Hope it works:lol: It only had a few light scratches, sand paper & polish looks like new.

I updated my to-do list today and a manual I'm writing and realized wholly cow, this project is nearly done. That's kind of a shock, so much time dedicated. I figure 100 hours my end to finish the truck and kit I've written. It will feel strange to be done.

DeadheadNM 04-19-2022 10:00 PM

Just in time for Spring. Nice!

tutone 04-20-2022 06:49 AM

Nice work. I always dread,(and enjoy), this phase of a build. After one has been apart awhile, things just don't go as planned always. Thanks for the shift diagram as I am waiting for my linkage kit to get here this week, so I can get mine up on the trailer. Its always the little things.
Your paint looks great. It is going to be a super nice truck.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-20-2022 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tutone (Post 9069447)
Nice work. I always dread,(and enjoy), this phase of a build. After one has been apart awhile, things just don't go as planned always. Thanks for the shift diagram as I am waiting for my linkage kit to get here this week, so I can get mine up on the trailer. Its always the little things.
Your paint looks great. It is going to be a super nice truck.

I've found there's so much on this end of the build that needs to be massaged to fit. For instance I installed the lock cylinders today, but of course they wouldn't fit into the doors due a thick finish. So 10 minutes work was about two hours.

The other day I installed the A/C vents assisted by an orange (literally) and heat gun:smoke: That worked well, but I was reminded of the arthritis in the thumbs screwing the vents on. On a side, perhaps GM installed the duct hoses on the vents with a dash of glue? Seems all my vents had some, but it doesn't appear necessary, I don't see these coming off unless it's on purpose. I had to buy a "new" RH vent bezel. Of course that didn't quite fit right either, another spot for the heat gun. But wow am I impressed with GM parts, it's really good stuff. Far and away better than even luxury cars today.

mr.mud1 04-20-2022 04:59 PM

great work Tony,it's coming together.what's next?take care.Greg

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 04-24-2022 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Close man, we're going to finish it up May 28th. Works well, those fenders give me lots to do, I should start thinking about a battery. We're going to drop the rear LH hood a pinch, and grille is temporary. I'll install the "good one" after it's running.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-23-2022 11:23 PM

Wow, 6 + years later, after installing the rear harness today, I literally ran out of things to do on my truck, hmm. Go figure I hadn't ordered gaskets for the lenses, oh well. Some dependencies. We finish the body and moldings this Saturday, so the engine bay will soon be done, looking forward to it. Guess I'll need a battery soon.

How awesome if the glass guy could deliver, you'd think a year's notice is enough, same for the air cleaner my nephew's had 1+ year. Other than that, it's a gas tank, interior doors & seat away from being done on my end.

Low Elco 05-25-2022 01:10 AM

Keep it up, it's looking great!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 06-02-2022 08:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It's starting to look like a truck. The body is built. I installed some fun stuff in the engine bay today.

Picked up an NOS coolant expansion tank kit along the way. Against the kit's instructions, I routed the hose through the RH inner fender's drain hole. Pretty sure original radiator drain hose ran through it, so what the heck, it routes clean.

IronCanine 06-02-2022 08:07 PM

So close. Looking great. Outstanding work as always Tony.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-01-2022 09:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I'm down to so few hours, but no sign of windows yet, that will come soon. I even get my air cleaner back today, out 1.5 years. I ordered the original seat cover, $900. Might take till Dec., so less the gas tank and a few loose ends, I think I better install the old seat to get this running say Oct.

Bummer I had all NOS Witek band clamps I liked a lot, but the #10 don't fit a 3/4" heater hose, they're for the bypass hose only. I ordered two of these, they might work instead. I also ordered clone tower clamps, just in case, yikes:smoke: Just want to get her done. Edit: The 7 1/2" Wittek band clamps work well with the 3/4" heater hose, happy I can use band clamps as planned. There are a couple left on Ebay, the pair I got are super nice. Downside the bolt heads are just slotted, but I swapped them out for hex bolts. https://www.ebay.com/itm/224819904092

Dumb question. The factory installed a pad on the cab's wall for the fuel tank. Any reason why the fuel tank shouldn't receive the pad instead? seems a much better option. I'm using 1/8" neoprene rubber, and I have glue;) Edit: I installed the pads on the fuel tank.

68bowtie 08-01-2022 10:12 PM

Amazing work!

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 08-18-2022 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good day to install a fuel tank. It was the "hardest" thing I had left to do.

For tips perhaps, I installed Classic Heartbeats grommet. Slid it on the filler neck with dish soap. Installed the tank loosely, with my son's help. Tried dish soap to get the grommet through, failed, probably not the soap. My son kept a blow drier on it while I started it from the inside, finished from the outside, not bad at all. All with a ball-end tool, I swear by them for installing grommets.

NOS cap. And least it was before installed. 71 is a rare cap, I found this in 2017 for $35:chevy: