The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin' (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=774867)

Ol Blue K20 02-14-2021 07:35 PM

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Very nice progress Vic. Looking good!.......

Vic1947 02-17-2021 07:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8880238)
Very nice progress Vic. Looking good!.......

Thanks, Dale!

While waiting on some parts I figured I'd hook up the mechanical throttle body linkage. I picked up a Lokar throttle cable and pedal assembly quite awhile back and had installed the pedal before it went off to upholstery. When I got it back, I could tell the pedal didn't have enough travel due to the newly installed carpet and pad. The fix was to use some 1/2 x 5/8 x 2" aluminum blocks to space it up off the floor. Of course, this caused issues with the arm that goes thru the floor and actuates the throttle cable, so I had to machine an extension for it. I was worried that the additional arc would create too much travel but that turned out not to be the case.

In fact, after hooking it all up and adjusting till I was blue in the face, I still don't have the travel I need. With the cable adjusted to where it just returns to idle, I only have about 90% of WOT. When you read up on it, apparently that's a common problem with this setup. Typically, the advice is to make sure there's no slack in the cable, but if I over do it, the throttle blade won't return all the way to idle. There are all sorts of suggestions as you might imagine - up to and including chucking the cable and going full mechanical. Not an option for me.

Not sure if it will be an issue. I know with carbs, you prefer full open butterflies, but often a partially open secondary works nearly as well as full open. Don't know if it's a big deal with EFI. But I would feel better if the throttle blade opened completely.

mongocanfly 02-17-2021 07:56 PM

Could making your pedal extension a little longer solve the issue?....

Vic1947 02-17-2021 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8881688)
Could making your pedal extension a little longer solve the issue?....

I'm sure that would help, Greg. The issue is the alignment between the cable housing and the clevis that attaches to the arm. If I make the arm longer, I'd need to increase the thickness of the blocks under the pedal to keep everything lined up. Not that I couldn't - just that it took me awhile to machine all the parts in the first place. Very specific hole sizes, spacing and metric threads to boot.

OK, I know, I know... metric stuff is probably the root cause. ;)

mongocanfly 02-17-2021 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this the piece you made?

mongocanfly 02-17-2021 08:39 PM

I know youd have to "adj" the cable bracket to keep it inline, but I was thinking if this piece were a little longer it would increase your pedal ratio without affecting pedal travel

Vic1947 02-18-2021 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8881720)
I know youd have to "adj" the cable bracket to keep it inline, but I was thinking if this piece were a little longer it would increase your pedal ratio without affecting pedal travel

I agree it would increase the travel. However, I did read a suggestion on a Corvette forum I may try first. You can disassemble the pedal and reposition the splines to change the angle of the pedal. The net result of that is the top edge of the pedal is a bit further back which increases the distance to the carpet. Right now, the carpet is the limiting factor. The built in stop isn't in play because the angle of the arm relative to the pedal isn't quite right.

I need to sit down on a milk carton and see how the pedal feels, though. Don't want to get into a situation where your right foot is at an awkward angle when driving. Will keep you posted.

Vic1947 02-18-2021 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Latest news...

I removed the pedal assembly and took out the two screws holding the spline'd pillow block. Rotated the splines slightly and reinserted the shaft into the block then reinstalled the screws. As you can see from the before and after photos, the angle between the arm and the pedal increased from around 88 to 97 degrees. With the pedal back in place, this tipped the upper edge back away from the carpet relative to where it sat originally. The pedal angle doesn't seem awkward when sitting in the driving position.

The end result of this geometry experiment is that I now have full throttle opening with no compromise at idle. I will say this though - the pedal action seems a bit lazy. I have to push thru more of an arc to get WOT than I expected. Time will tell if it turns out to be a drive-ability issue.

Vic1947 02-19-2021 03:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After reviewing the throttle situation, I determined a possible cause for the lazy pedal action was the hole position in the throttle arm I was using. If I moved the cable stop to the second hole, it would give me a quicker throttle as well as reducing the amount of travel needed for WOT. So I relocated the cable stop this morning to the second hole in the throttle arm and tested the throttle action. I could tell it was quicker with shorter travel as well. However, it still felt somewhat lazy. As you can see in the photos below, the Teflon lined, braided steel hose from Lokar had collapsed with only slight tension applied. It's not really meant for this purpose in the first place, so I shouldn't be surprised. As the result, the Lokar braided steel throttle cable has a new home in the trash bin.

The FITech setup came with an OEM throttle cable, but the ends were not at all what I needed. It was, however, the right length and diameter, so I set about cannibalizing the Lokar ends and transferring them to the sturdier OEM cable. It's a plastic covered, spring wound assembly with a PTFE liner meant for this application. All back together and tested, it operates smoothly and quickly. After several days of dinking around with it, I think I finally have a long term solution.

mongocanfly 02-19-2021 04:06 PM

Nice "fix"..!!!!

Ol Blue K20 02-19-2021 11:05 PM

Genious!!

Vic1947 02-25-2021 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Transported the inner fenderwells, coil covers and grille bar to Hot Rod Express for paint. After considerable deliberation, I decided to go ahead and paint the grille bar in the body color. The spray chrome just wasn't working for me. They offered to try to respray the chrome but I told them "once bitten, twice shy." Wish I'd known they had the ability to do spray chrome before sending the piece to the shop on the east coast. Might have turned out nicer and cost less. Looking forward to getting the parts back so I can get busy installing components like the cruise control, brake vacuum pump, m/c and brake booster, etc. Right now, I'm having to switch among things to do because of a lack of planning.

I machined a billet mount for the fuel regulator, only to find I didn't have the AN fittings I needed to complete the fuel line plumbing. Same for the power steering. I called Roadster Shop to find out what pump pressure would be suitable for the rack and pinion they install on their chassis. They said they go by flow rate and not pressure and sent me a list of parts they recommend for their setup. So the Borgeson pressure kit I purchased was set aside to be replaced by a fitting with a specific orifice size - that I had to order, of course.

I did get the console finalized after getting the RCA cables I needed. It meets my need for an installation that doesn't look entirely homemade like some of my past efforts.

Ol Blue K20 02-26-2021 09:15 AM

Coming together nicely. Sucks about the grill bar, but should be nice painted body color. :metal:

Vic1947 03-03-2021 06:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8885571)
Coming together nicely. Sucks about the grill bar, but should be nice painted body color. :metal:

That's what I'm hoping too, Dale. I've done this long enough to know I have a hard time looking the other way and saying, "Well, I'm not really happy with that, but it will be okay, I guess."

Been working on odds and ends. Built a small enclosure to house the fan relays and the transformer that drives the CCFL rings for my parking lights. Hides a bit of the ugly. Will probably mount it down under the fans somewhere you won't see it anyway, but it was a fun thing to do. Also machined a mount for the oil catch can. I had one on a previous LS3 build and the shop that built my current engine recommends running one. But like everything I touch these days, I'm short some fittings so I'll have to turn my attention to other stuff while I wait on USPS. I have the weatherstrip on the driver door. Wasn't real happy with the technique I used although it turned out pretty decent. Now trying the method Danchuk recommends for their seals on the passenger side.

mongocanfly 03-03-2021 08:51 PM

All looks good Vic...what'd you make the relay cover out of?...

Ol Blue K20 03-03-2021 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8888207)

X2, it looks good!

Vic1947 03-04-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8888207)

Thanks, Greg, but I can't take credit for the enclosure. Found it on eBay and stuffed it with my components. The body and lid are made from extruded aluminum and appear to be powder coated. For the princely sum of $10.50 there's no way to justify making one. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8888265)
X2, it looks good!

Thanks, Dale.

Vic1947 03-09-2021 06:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The parts I took to Hot Rod Express for paint are nearly done. Some touch up and buffing are all that's left to do. Hope to pick them up this week. The oil catch can is plumbed, the power steering hoses are in and tested and the fuel lines are complete as well.

Figured now was as good a time as any to mock up the remaining brake lines. So I hung the vacuum booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve then bent the lines to fit. The Wilwood proportioning valve has separate ports for the front brakes, so I had to revise my layout slightly. Could have plugged the extra port and run a single line to the tee I had in there, but what the heck, I had the time and the fittings so I made the change.

As you can see from the photo, I installed a CPP relocation bracket that moves the vacuum booster forward, up and outboard a couple of inches. Results in more clearance for the coil covers. Per the law of unintended consequences, I'll be surprised if something doesn't interfere somewhere. ;)

Low Elco 03-09-2021 07:45 PM

Lookin' like good progress!

Ol Blue K20 03-10-2021 09:56 AM

Looks nice!

Vic1947 03-17-2021 04:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8891762)
Lookin' like good progress!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8891952)
Looks nice!

Thanks, guys!

Picked up the parts HRE painted for me. Everything looked great. Then later that day, took the coil covers to a top notch pinstriper to have the Chevrolet script highlighted with a darker gray metallic. Should look nice. He said he hoped to be finished with them by Monday. I was especially pleased with the grille bar. It presents much better in body color than the spray chrome.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've trial assembled the inner fender panels and core support. Currently working out the a/c, heater and trans cooler lines. As usual, didn't have all the fittings I needed in my "extras" box so had to place an order to cover what I was missing. If you look closely at the lower left corner of the fan shroud, you can see where I mounted the little enclosure with the relays, etc.

I did run into an issue with the core support. The cone shaped air filter mounted directly to the FITech intake was just a tad too long and hit the puller fans. So what I plan to do is come out of the throttle body with an EPDM 90 and some polished aluminum tubing to relocate the filter. The parts for that should be here tomorrow so I'll see what I need in the way of mounting hardware. Probably better to have the air intake away from the radiator heat anyway. A lot of guys swear by cold air boxes, but on a beater I'm not sure you'd know the difference.

I also got the passenger side seat and three point safety belt bolted in. Still need to install the kick panels but will wait to see if any smoke comes out when I hook the battery up. Kathy seemed happy she wouldn't have to sit on the floor. ;)

mongocanfly 03-17-2021 08:40 PM

Beater..???...did I miss something?....HAHA..
Still looks great Vic..
As far as cold air intake goes..on my C30, with air filter underhood,,we dynoed it with the hood closed...then opened the hood, and the hp jumped by over 10hp..

Ol Blue K20 03-18-2021 06:26 AM

It looks good Vic, it's coming together nicely. Beater! That's funny. :lol::lol:

Low Elco 03-23-2021 02:02 AM

Getting so close!

Vic1947 03-24-2021 06:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8895749)
Beater..???...did I miss something?....HAHA..
Still looks great Vic..
As far as cold air intake goes..on my C30, with air filter underhood,,we dynoed it with the hood closed...then opened the hood, and the hp jumped by over 10hp..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8895916)
It looks good Vic, it's coming together nicely. Beater! That's funny. :lol::lol:

Thanks guys! I think the Hollander book lists beater as interchanging with daily driver or something to that effect. ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8898132)
Getting so close!

Yep, the list is getting shorter - but there's still a list.

Trial assembling parts is ongoing. Got the coil covers back from the pinstriper on Saturday. He did a nice job and fast too. I have all the lines for the a/c and heater, both flexible and hard lines, ready to go to Independence Hydraulics for crimping and flaring. Just waiting on one more fitting to arrive. I've also been working on the radiator hoses, horns and cruise control setup. Still have to figure out the best location for the Leed vacuum pump. 10 lbs of poop in a 5 lb bag.

Spent the better part of a day and a half getting the grille bar to fit the way I wanted. The factory fit on the grille surround, splash pan and etc. is pretty sloppy. To get all the parts to bolt up, you have to leave all the bolts and screws loose until everything is in place, then gradually draw up the fasteners. No idea how all this will play out when the fenders, hood and bumper go on. I've arranged for Sean from Hot Rod Express to be here Saturday, April 3rd to help me with that task.

Low Elco 03-25-2021 12:45 AM

Saw that on Mark's page. Dark gray looks good on them!

Vic1947 03-25-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8899094)
Saw that on Mark's page. Dark gray looks good on them!

Mark said you're his #1 salesman. ;)

Vic1947 03-29-2021 06:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Spent the better part of the day getting the Dakota Digital cruise set up. Ended up mounting the control unit on the passenger side inner fender. I'll have to see how hot it gets since it's only about 4" from the headers at the closest point. May have to build an aluminum heat shield. There weren't a lot of options for placement. I was hoping to route the cable next to the throttle cable, but there was no way to make it work right. I tried flipping the bracket over and adjusting the bracket position, but to no avail. So I shuffled over to the mill and whittled out a bracket that positions the cable in a more advantageous spot. Still have to do the wiring.

We went to the World of Wheels AutoRama yesterday which gave my motivation a little boost. The Magic Dragon cruise down at the Lake of the Ozarks is the first week in May. It will be a stretch to get it running and tested by then, but I work better with a deadline. ;)

Russell Ashley 03-30-2021 06:42 PM

That thing is beautiful. If it were mine I'd be so worried about it that I wouldn't be comfortable driving it.

Vic1947 03-30-2021 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell Ashley (Post 8901583)
That thing is beautiful. If it were mine I'd be so worried about it that I wouldn't be comfortable driving it.

Thanks, Russell. I plan to have it appraised, insure it for agreed upon value, make sure the policy has roadside assistance and then drive in as carefree a manner as possible. I've been preparing myself for the inevitable chips, scratches and dings that come with a road warrior by repeating' "It's just metal and paint and it can be fixed." So when it's done, Kathy and I plan to see the USA in our Chevrolet until we're no longer able to do so. ;)

Ol Blue K20 03-30-2021 10:09 PM

Keep plugging away Vic! It's coming along great!

Low Elco 03-30-2021 11:30 PM

Looks great! Excited for you this Saturday!

Vic1947 03-30-2021 11:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8901686)
Keep plugging away Vic! It's coming along great!

Thanks, Dale. I'm beginning to think there's some light at the end of the tunnel.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 8901732)
Looks great! Excited for you this Saturday!

Hey Chip, me too! I sent Sean a text today with a photo of the car lifted off the ground as he requested. I've been marking off little items on the punch list to keep me occupied. ;)

mongocanfly 03-31-2021 10:18 PM

What a bueat..!!!

knomadd 04-01-2021 12:11 PM

Oh man, she's looking good!!!

HAULIN' IT 04-01-2021 08:36 PM

That is one classy lookin' ride! Lorne

Ol Blue K20 04-01-2021 09:03 PM

It won't be long before you drive it to Cali and visit. I love it....

Vic1947 04-03-2021 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone! Minor setback, though. Sean called Thursday afternoon and said he had a schedule conflict and asked to postpone installing the front end sheetmetal until next Saturday. I'm still working on the punch list so it's okay but I was really looking forward to seeing it complete. Still need to bleed the brakes, fill the radiator and test the fuel system. At that point, it will be time to bust it off.

nsb29 04-03-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 8901592)
Thanks, Russell. I plan to have it appraised, insure it for agreed upon value, make sure the policy has roadside assistance and then drive in as carefree a manner as possible. I've been preparing myself for the inevitable chips, scratches and dings that come with a road warrior by repeating' "It's just metal and paint and it can be fixed." So when it's done, Kathy and I plan to see the USA in our Chevrolet until we're no longer able to do so. ;)

Maybe I will see you out there my wife and I plan to do the same with our 65C 10 I am pretty much down to wheels in moldings. that’s a beautiful car that first scratch is really going to hurt LOL

Vic1947 04-08-2021 07:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8903325)
Maybe I will see you out there my wife and I plan to do the same with our 65C 10 I am pretty much down to wheels in moldings. that’s a beautiful car that first scratch is really going to hurt LOL

You're a long way from me, but ya never know, we may bump into each other somewhere. As for the dings, I already have a couple of chips in it I had to touch up so I'm building up my immunity to the pain.

I fab'd up a radiator hose splice with a bung for the steam tube. Rolled a couple of beads in it with my homemade tool. I was able to find a couple of Dayco hoses that worked perfectly to connect the thermostat housing to the radiator with the splice in between. I used a handy dandy eBay tool to pull about 24" of vacuum on the cooling system. It has a shutoff valve so you can test for leaks before adding the coolant. Let it set for about 15 minutes with no loss of vacuum, so I connected the pickup tube and let it draw in the antifreeze. No runs, no drips, no errors.

Not as lucky with the fuel system. Put in 5 gallons of premium and fired up the fuel pump and had leaks in a couple of places. Was unable to tighten the tube nuts enough to get the leaks stopped. In order to remove the tubing for repair, I had to take the left rear wheel off. (It never ends.) Once the tubing was out I realized the seam on the inside of the tubing was the problem. Tried to burnish it to remove the defect, but was unsuccessful. So tomorrow, I'm headed down to HRE to pick up some Aeroquip stainless braided hose to replace the tubing. I'm not a big fan of braided lines, but it's the most time saving and effective solution at this point. Two steps forward, one back - as usual. ;)