The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   Yet another GMC build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=368649)

OKGMC4 03-28-2013 09:40 AM

Re: Yet another GMC build

4 Attachment(s)
I realized I hadn't taken any pics of the truck since the front suspension change so I tried to take some good ones yesterday. I waited until days end to get a better diffuse light and tried different angles on the top level of a parking garage. Didn't realize how hard it is to get one where there's no wash out, I deleted several where it looked white on top and orange on the bottom. I't also hard to avoid reflections of other things in the paint and shadows in odd places. Not really a photographer but a few turned out nice.

As far as the front goes it's a ton higher now but it drives great and never ever bottoms out so I guess I'll leave it alone. It could possibly benefit from going from a 1" front bar to a 1.25 bar as I think my nose heavy weight is taxing the lean in the turns. It's not really bad, mind you, but I'm trying to get sports car handling and with C4 suspension it should be attainable. Though I am frustrated. I live close to a road course, Hallet racing, and would be willing to pay the fees and take the driving class to do the course but they have a strict NO TRUCKS rule that I think is asinine. I could run my base model, underbraked, 170hp 92 firebird there but not my C4 suspended LS powered 1956 gmc !!!

1955GMC 03-29-2013 04:26 PM

I love this truck, the stance is perfect and it looks very fast while sitting still.
I'm posting because after I first started reading your build thread I have been watching Craig's List and E-Bay for wheels at the bargin prices you mentioned on the first few pages. I finally found a great set of '03 Vette 5oth aniversary thin spoke 17 and 18 inch wheels for under 400.00 for the set. Took me some time but bargins can be had.

OKGMC4 05-06-2013 05:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I did some research on intake air temps and found that not only is colder air better than hot for performance but an injected engine makes this even more so....as the intake air temp increases the ecm retards timing accordingly. That means you're losing power and probably fuel economy as well. I borrowed an idea from JML55's truck and got rid of the top mounted airbox, but did my new airbox in fiberglass rather than stainless. Inside is a cone filter fed through the core support. I verified before and after with live data from my OBDII scanner and I have dropped my IAT by 47 degrees on a 55 degree day from 109 down to 62. And that's sitting still idling. It does run smoother and quieter but I have no way of verifying any power increase.

With the top box out of the way I decided to do an intake cover. I took a new camaro cover, cut out the center and bolted it together with an aluminum strip and bonded it with epoxy. Filled the oil fill hole with an old wheel cap and painted it silver with orange flames. On the last piece of tape some of the silver lifted so rather than repaint the whole thing I brushed a black outline on all the flames to hide the screw up. Not as nice as I wanted but I can redo it later. It's sunny outside so I'll just drive it awhile...

Kim57 05-06-2013 05:29 PM

Looks good.
Kim

mknittle 05-11-2013 06:35 PM

I may be a little different but I like it better without the cover over the air filter.:lol:

JMac11 06-12-2013 05:08 PM

What did you do with the first box you built..... looking to put something similer together under a cowl hood.

OKGMC4 06-13-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMac11 (Post 6120376)
What did you do with the first box you built..... looking to put something similer together under a cowl hood.

Sittin in the shed gatherin dust. Can't stand the idea of tossing it, hours of work went into it.

OKGMC4 05-21-2014 07:33 PM

Back at the beginning of the month I took the truck to the drags and it ran consistent 14.5 and 14.4 second times. Not too awful for a stock 5.3 with 3.08 gears. Had a fun time but now the truck has left town to live with my parents while I start the next project. Just not enough space. I've started a 69 chevy that will become a GMC with an LS motor and some heavy body mods. The link is in my sig if anyone is interested.

Dieselwrencher 05-21-2014 08:44 PM

Very nice work on the air filter relocate. I'm sure it's nice to be able to drive it now. I agree about just driving it now. Might as well while the weather is good for it.

OKGMC4 01-31-2018 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Been driving the truck a few years now and put 15K miles on it. Need to do some freshening to get it back on track. Kind of neglected it while I’ve been focused on the unibody build. Steering wheel was never perfect but wanted to get rid of the brushed look and get a wheel wrapped tighter than I did it all those years ago. When the grant adapter stripped out it was the last straw. I bolted on the 9 bolt adapter that came with the column and ordered a new LeCarra. Have more plans, and will execute them in the near future.

OKGMC4 01-31-2018 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Old wheel

iowaboynca 01-31-2018 02:57 PM

thanks for the update. Glad to see its being driven!

OKGMC4 02-07-2018 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not all the play was eliminated in the steering so I checked the rack. It was fine. Took the column apart and it was worn near to breaking at the tilt swivel. Did some investigation and it turns out the Chinese columns are terrible, and I had the worst one. The one made by Helix. More info here...

https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/i...ng_Columns.pdf

I am in the process of installing the (better) column i bought for my 69. It’s not chrome so I’m painting it to match. We’ll see how it turns out.

OKGMC4 02-08-2018 06:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
New column in and working well. The steering with the cheap eBay Chinese column was never this tight. Lesson learned.

OKGMC4 02-08-2018 06:34 PM

The turn signal cam isn’t mushy on this one and I don’t have to manually turn off the blinker after making a turn. Bonus!

NeoJuice 02-09-2018 11:59 AM

what brand did you replace it with? ididit? flaming river?

Mains52 02-09-2018 12:37 PM

Very Nice Sir. That orange has a special place in my heart via my first car. Nice choice.

OKGMC4 02-09-2018 01:05 PM

The column is a CPP. I know the article says they are not as good as the FR and Ididit columns but it looks like the biggest issue was the quality of the plastic swivel ball. I took this one apart and inspected it beforehand and it seems fine. I already had it, it was supposed to go in my 69 c10 but that truck isn’t finished yet. At least it has the failsafe built in like s GM tilt column. The Helix column does not, so I could have potentially lost all ability to steer.

OKGMC4 02-09-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mains52 (Post 8182206)
Very Nice Sir. That orange has a special place in my heart via my first car. Nice choice.

Thanks! I always wanted a 69 GTO in that color, and I grew up watching a certain Charger jumping creeks in Hazzard county so it seems the color was predestined to happen. Sure gets a lot of attention!

OKGMC4 02-09-2018 01:11 PM

A Summit box arrived today. It’s like getting a box full of shiny gold coins. Several parts to perform the next few upgrades.

OKGMC4 02-09-2018 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a secondary trans cooler under the radiator. Never had an issue with overheating in general but want to be prepared for what comes next.

OKGMC4 02-14-2018 05:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One thing that has bothered me is the high ride height and stiff ride. The vette transverse spring was too low and bottomed out. I put on coil overs and QA1s best guess for me was 400 lb springs. They were also too low. Out of cash and strapped for time I ran all three springs. No more pot hole terrors. According to QA1 what I’m doing is a big no-no and the springs added together make for a race car-like 700 lb rate. I bought a pair of 200lb springs and swapped out the 400 pounders. Hard to see in the pic but it's about 1" lower. Rides softer, sits lower, no banging the pavement. Going to roll with it for a while, see what happens.

OKGMC4 02-16-2018 12:00 PM

The springs ride much better. And the suspension settled a hair more and looks perfect. Also the handling has improved. Before when I hit a fast curve the front wouldn’t even lean, which means the tires never took a set or got any bite. The front would just slide in a massive case of understeer. Yesterday on the way home I took a certain S curve at 70mph that before was frightening at 50. One of these days I want to upgrade my C4 front brakes to C5 spec. Supposed to be a night and day braking upgrade.

OKGMC4 02-26-2018 06:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Usually when I have the hood popped at a car show I hear two reactions...1. “Look at that there LS motor. I like that a lot.” Or 2. “That’s why I don’t like them there LS motors. Those coils are uh-glee!” I picked up some coil covers on eBay that bolt right in. That is, after hours of trimming to fit. And buying 1/2” long spacers because the supplied hardware was too short. And removing the compressor and master cylinder to get them in the hole. And sanding and painting. Yep, bolt right in! Not convinced I shouldn’t have gone black but too hard to get back out and the paint was left over from the column. Now I hate the intake cover and not sure I want it back on. Will decide later. At least I covered up the nasty coil packs.

OKGMC4 02-28-2018 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I said I was preparing for what came next... this is it.