The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=376295)

silver7 07-17-2011 03:09 PM

Re: Project: Custom 71 4x4 hotrod

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow108 (Post 4790575)
Holding the tape measure level, and measuring center to center i have 10 5/8 inches.:metal:

Got the engine Xmember mounted today thanks to your help. Turns out I only had to redrill the bottom two holes on each side so it was easier than I thought. Unfortunately, I scratched up the inside of my frame a little getting the Xmember mounted. :mad: I may have to touch that up down the line. :crazy:

freakshow108 07-17-2011 04:03 PM

Somthing tells me that when this truck is finished it will be shown under the word "perfection" in the dictonary! Glad that i could have helped, allbe it in a small way.

silver7 07-17-2011 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Probably a simple answer but can anyone tell me why these brake/fuel line clips have the pointed portion on the back? Some have it - some don't. :confused:

Afraid to mount them until I figure that out. Thanks.

Chevy1TonFun 07-17-2011 05:59 PM

My guess is that that tab goes in a guide hole in the frame?

freakshow108 07-17-2011 06:56 PM

I ended up flatening them out before instalation. I couldnt find a use for them. My stock clamps did not have them. I hope i didnt goof it up.:lol:

silver7 07-17-2011 07:10 PM

I think that is what I am going to do. Inline tube probably uses the same clips for all their kits and these have a use on another vehicle. Thanks guys. :metal:

plummen 08-06-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 3703990)
it sure does, they also have grade 5 and 2... I just bought a bag of grade2 hardware for my basement shelving, cost $1.75 for 40 bolts, washers and nuts! They were 1/4" and didn't weigh much...

the bolt depot.com is also a good source for bolts at really good prices,Ive bought lots of grade 8 stuff from them also lots of stainless steel bolts for my boat and motorcycle projects ;)

plummen 08-06-2011 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silver7 (Post 3862827)
Mike - I took your advice and finally accepted that I will need to primer and paint my frame. I wanted to powder coat but there are too many spots with pitting which requires too much grinding and sanding to get it where I know it needs to be for a good powder coat finish. My buddy Nick and I will shoot it with some Kirker epoxy primer later this week. This will buy me a little more time to get me bumper brackets, tow hooks and tow hitch mounted with holes drilled. Not sure if I am going to single or 2 stage paint it yet.

I also sold my tires and rims and decided I will go with a set of KMC XD Black 'Monster', 'Diesel', or 'Badlands' rims for my truck. If any of you out there know of any good deals on 17" - 20" used rims in good shape for sale please let me know.

the good thing about paint is its easy to fix especially on something big like a frame,small powder coated parts can be stripped and repaired much easier than a frame or axle housing in my experiance anyway ;)

silver7 08-06-2011 07:39 AM

Good advice. I've used boltdepot.com for some weird stuff before and have already touched up some minor stuff on the frame without too much hassle. Thanks.

freakshow108 10-11-2011 11:02 PM

Just checking in to see if you remembered you are building a truck.;)

silver7 10-12-2011 08:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LMAO! Ya, I remember. :haha: I am the defensive coordinator for my son's 10U football team (he is #44) and working on my PhD @ NC State so time is a little scarce these days. But no complaints. I'm getting to spend a lot of time with my boy and the truck isn't going anywhere. Hopefully when I get this next floor installed (this pic is of the one I just installed) and stop messing with my yard I'll be able to get back at it.

Are you having better luck than me getting some work done?

freakshow108 10-12-2011 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whoa!!! He looks mean! Thats cool he is in football, we have only been involved in motocross, it seemed there was no time for other sports with all of the training, boo hoo for me right:lol:. We have had small gains but nothing substantial. By the way, that floor looks bad a$%:metal:. Just keep us posted! Tell your boy to knock the snot bubbles out of them:lol:.Here is a pic of were all our time and money has gone, with love of course;). Good luck on that degree,life and the truck.:metal:

Dieselwrencher 10-12-2011 11:00 PM

Man your floor looks awesome! Tell your son to knock em out! :lol:

silver7 11-17-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow108 (Post 4950317)
Whoa!!! He looks mean! Thats cool he is in football, we have only been involved in motocross, it seemed there was no time for other sports with all of the training, boo hoo for me right:lol:. We have had small gains but nothing substantial. By the way, that floor looks bad a$%:metal:. Just keep us posted! Tell your boy to knock the snot bubbles out of them:lol:.Here is a pic of were all our time and money has gone, with love of course;). Good luck on that degree,life and the truck.:metal:

That looks fun. Working on the truck is great but it doesn't hold a candle to working with my son and watching him improve. I know you know what I mean. Hopefully as he grows older he'll get interested in the truck.

Football is almost over, no snot bubbles yet :metal:, but basketball and wrestling are starting up in its place. No coaching for me this time so I should be able to get some work done on the truck, and school.

silver7 11-17-2011 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 4950463)
Man your floor looks awesome! Tell your son to knock em out! :lol:

This is his first year in tackle so he is still trying to find his inner tiger but he has done very well. Very proud of him, thanks.

Hopefully I can clean my garage up and get started hard on the truck again soon.

freakshow108 11-17-2011 07:43 PM

I need a vacation, let me camp out in your back yard and i will help you guys finish your truck, my son is trying to qualify for a big amature race at the Loretta Lynn ranch so we can just make it a loooong vacation. Im a Georgia boy so that will let me visit relatives also:lol: Dont worry, Im not that hillbilly. Good luck brother!;)

silver7 11-19-2011 09:19 AM

Thanks man. I know the feeling. Today is our 2nd football playoff game against Fayetteville and if we lose we are done. Then it is on to basketball and wrestling. You know what they say, "Out of the pot and into the frying pan." :bann: Should be better though since I won't be coaching. Let us know how the qualification goes. Take care buddy. :metal:

silver7 12-04-2011 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well finally able to get out in the garage and begin cleaning it up to begin work on the truck again. Looking forward to getting some work done this winter.

Also came real close to buying a black 2012 5.3L 4x4 Silverado with 6" lift and extra goodies from Rocky Ridge but I'll probably just keep the 2002 Yukon and drive it til it falls apart. It has been a good ride.

Dieselwrencher 12-05-2011 01:27 AM

That's a nice truck but I'm sure the payments suck. :lol:

MTCK 12-05-2011 01:30 AM

Good choice, that's another 40k you can throw at your build on the '71. ;)

Maxxd07 12-05-2011 01:44 AM

Sub'in
Posted via Mobile Device

silver7 12-26-2011 08:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks fellas.

Finally got the NP205 apart and wire wheeled thanks to some new universal craftsman tools my brother bought me for Christmas! Unfortunately, I still haven't ordered my rebuild kit yet though. Had to remove the top (aka shift tower) and tail housing aluminum portions of my NV4500 so I can take them to get glass beaded. Hopefully I get a warm weekend soon where I can paint them with the Kirker epoxy primer and single stage Viper Red and Super Jet Black.

silver7 12-26-2011 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These things rock!

silver7 04-07-2012 08:50 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Wow -just noticed how long it has been since I posted. :confused: My 10 year old son is playing baseball and AAU basketball at the same time, not to mention I am one of his baseball coaches. Also been traveling a lot for work so time has been limited lately. But I am still as excited as ever to get this thing completed.

I have been doing some work these last couple of months such as cleaning cleaning my transfer case and transmission for paint, purchasing a mint Mastercool Hydraulic brake line flaring kit off Craigslist ($240). Also purchased some custom parts from Offroad Design (extended front braided stainless and Kevlar brake lines) and Inline Tube since the kit I bought needed modifications. Yesterday I finished plumbing my brake lines, minus the master cylinder of course. Used a cut off wheel to cut the lines, a drill to clean the lines out, sandpaper to prep the end, Mastercool hydraulic kit to double 45 degree flare my lines, and a little contraption I bought on Ebay to bend my lines. I am happy with how it all turned out.

mjensen 04-07-2012 12:51 PM

That is looking very nice.