The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project 69SWB (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555682)

knomadd 07-15-2013 05:43 PM

Re: Project 69SWB

I just ran across your thread. I'm impressed with how you fixed your door gap issue. And your dash looks amazing. I'll be following along now...

Bennett68C10 07-15-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ (Post 6174480)
Inside the fender at the top is where the worst of mine was at, wish I could have sent them off for blasting and normally would have but the same guys who blasted my cab ($300) wanted $100 each to do the fenders. Crazy. So I had to do it here at home with a 3m paint/rust stripper wheel, screw driver and sand paper and patience! What I couldn't get to with those things I used a wire brush to loosen anything up and used the Fast Etch which converts the rust, then painted those areas with rust encapsulator... took some time but I believe they'll be good for years to come.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is the exact same place the worse of mine is at, thanks for the tips. I'll probably be doing the same exact thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 07-16-2013 01:10 PM

Good strippin'! Always fun.

~Whitey~ 07-16-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6174504)
I just ran across your thread. I'm impressed with how you fixed your door gap issue. And your dash looks amazing. I'll be following along now...

Thank you! I'll try to keep you entertained.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6174904)
That is the exact same place the worse of mine is at, thanks for the tips. I'll probably be doing the same exact thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

no problem, I'm sure blasting would be better, but sometimes you gotta do what you can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6175677)
Good strippin'! Always fun.

Oh yeah... SO much fun, about as fun as an all day welding & grind fest! ;)

c20chevy1972 07-19-2013 10:22 PM

nice work

~Whitey~ 07-20-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c20chevy1972 (Post 6181273)
nice work

Thanks I appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device

KSWes 07-26-2013 01:01 PM

Been following along haven't commented in a while, Interior paint looks great, our builds are running pretty close to parallel. Nice job on the cab! Sure looks like a lot of work but I'm sure when it's done you'll be happy to have the gaps right. When we fitted my doors earlier this week we discovered a few issues the previous owner had done the rockers and they were pretty close, but perfect gaps aren't going to happen for me. And I'm too far along in the process to want to cut them off and refit/replace them. Just wanted to say nice work! and keep it up!

~Whitey~ 07-26-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 6191071)
Been following along haven't commented in a while, Interior paint looks great, our builds are running pretty close to parallel. Nice job on the cab! Sure looks like a lot of work but I'm sure when it's done you'll be happy to have the gaps right. When we fitted my doors earlier this week we discovered a few issues the previous owner had done the rockers and they were pretty close, but perfect gaps aren't going to happen for me. And I'm too far along in the process to want to cut them off and refit/replace them. Just wanted to say nice work! and keep it up!

I've been following your thread too and we could probably switch garages and keep on working! Lol. Thanks for the compliment! Can't wait till we both have paint on our trucks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr Chevorlet 08-05-2013 10:51 AM

Well Jimmy fouund your build thread, I think you have been doing a fantistic job, And i like your engine color. Good job. Hope that bed fender works out for ya also.

~Whitey~ 08-05-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet (Post 6205725)
Well Jimmy fouund your build thread, I think you have been doing a fantistic job, And i like your engine color. Good job. Hope that bed fender works out for ya also.

With a little cutting here and a little welding there I'm sure it'll work out just fine... :-)

Thanks again, was great meeting you Larry. I'll look for ya at the swap meet coming up... and if you find that steering wheel please give me a shout!

sduckworth13 08-12-2013 05:44 PM

Jimmy, how the truck coming along? I've been following along, nice job on the repairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 08-16-2013 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6217172)
Jimmy, how the truck coming along? I've been following along, nice job on the repairs.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's coming along a little slower than usual... I work better in the Fall and Winter. It's been so muggy here in Springfield and I'm sure you can attest to that in KC as well. I still manage to get out in the garage a couple times a week.

I've just been trying to get everything but the bed in Primer so I can put it all together and do the body work. I'm just about ready to spray the doors and fenders in primer, they're all to bare metal now and the metal work is done.

I did get my core support, hood hinges and door hinges primed and painted. I was going to send the core and hood hinges to be powder coated, but didn't have the budget... well I did, but spent the money on my Harley instead. It's summer what can I say! :-/ So instead I just sprayed them all with epoxy primer and then followed straight up with paint. Turned out pretty nice. I did have them sandblasted first.

Attachment 1141463

sduckworth13 08-16-2013 03:44 PM

Those parts turned out real nice.
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 08-16-2013 03:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
right now I'm working on my door panels... I had them sandlblasted and then had to do a little metal repair.. they have some pitting in them but it'll be covered up with the covers I got from a board vendor, Tim at http://classictruckseats.com Great guy to work with and is a distributor for Trimparts. I got my entire interior from him.. ALL very nice quality stuff made in the USA.

Here is the cover from Truckseats.. Super nice!
Attachment 1141465

Sandblasted and then sprayed them with Eastwoods Rust convertor, it's epoxy based so should keep pout any moisture.
Attachment 1141466

You can see the pitting, but It'll be covered and all the rust was blasted out.
Attachment 1141467

I sprayed Eastwoods Rust Convertor first on the back, then hoping some 3M undercoating would help with Road noise here I sprayed it, but after doing a "ting" test on the metal... It didn't make any difference, it tinged just as loud as without it, so I'll probably use a sheet of my Hushmat on the back of these.
Attachment 1141468

PS thanks for checking on me Scott!

Bennett68C10 08-16-2013 03:54 PM

Looks great Jimmy, nice progress
Posted via Mobile Device

~Whitey~ 08-16-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6224128)
Looks great Jimmy, nice progress
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks a bunch Keith... It kind slow for me in the summer time, but looking forward to cooler weather!

sduckworth13 08-16-2013 03:58 PM

Those door panel covers look nice. Your doing a thorough job on everything.
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 08-16-2013 04:24 PM

Very nice work on the door panels Jimmy! I like the sound insulation idea. May have to steal that one myself. Looking forward to updates.

Xeen 08-16-2013 04:34 PM

The truck is lookin good man, I can't wait to see the front clip go on.

KSWes 08-16-2013 04:52 PM

Nice Job on the progress! Looks great!

~Whitey~ 08-16-2013 07:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sduckworth13 (Post 6224135)
Those door panel covers look nice. Your doing a thorough job on everything.

Thanks Scott... I try. I won't say I haven't cut corners on somethings, but when I do I try to cut em clean. haha

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6224169)
Very nice work on the door panels Jimmy! I like the sound insulation idea. May have to steal that one myself. Looking forward to updates.

Thanks Mike, I gotta swing by your thread and see what you've been up to!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6224182)
The truck is lookin good man, I can't wait to see the front clip go on.

You and me both Brian!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSWes (Post 6224207)
Nice Job on the progress! Looks great!

Thank you Wes!

A little walk down memory lane
I almost forgot to mention... My first vehicle ever was a 68 c10, it's where my love for these trucks come from... anyway, back in the day I had taken the doors and bumpers off my 68 and swapped them out with some doors from a 72 and chrome bumpers and left my 68 doors laying out in the woods in a pile of forgotten junk at my parents house... Over the years my brother and I would shoot the doors with our guns and what not... well I decided to go look at see if there was anything worth salvaging, and I don't know how one of them escaped our onslaught of lead during many different shooting sprees, but it did. I had hopes when I seen it that I could use this door on my truck.. clearly for sentimental reasons ya know! I afraid it's too far gone and is actually pretty warped though it don't look like it, but I am going to draw a logo on the door and hang it on the wall in the garage.. It'll say Whitey's Garage or something... The bumper I'll probably hang too with my very first license plate ever. Way cool! :metal:

My very first vehicle ever, a 68... Dad bought it for me for $300 back in 1987. They still have several boxes of pics I need to go through.. hope to find more pics of it.
Attachment 1141517

Here's the door that escaped all the shooting, must have kept it's head (mirror) down. :lol:
Attachment 1141518

Attachment 1141519

and the old bumper from my 68 with the first licensed plate ever in my name.
I couldn't find the front bumper.
Attachment 1141520

67_C-30 08-16-2013 08:56 PM

Nice work!

~Whitey~ 08-16-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67_C-30 (Post 6224531)
Nice work!

Thank you!

jmking9 08-17-2013 10:04 AM

Looking great! I thought about calling you last weekend and making a stop in Springfield driving my truck home from Branson. But it was Sunday morning and didn't want to bother you. Anyway, are you looking for doors?

~Whitey~ 08-17-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmking9 (Post 6225089)
Looking great! I thought about calling you last weekend and making a stop in Springfield driving my truck home from Branson. But it was Sunday morning and didn't want to bother you. Anyway, are you looking for doors?

Come by anytime! Give me a call anytime and next time for sure.
Nah not looking for doors... I have 3 1/2 sets. Ha. Heading to swap meet, you there today?
Posted via Mobile Device