The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=563833)

Low Elco 12-18-2013 09:27 AM

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

I think HF has a flap wheel that expands radially with a 1/4" shaft, for what it's worth. About an inch long.

Vic1947 12-23-2013 08:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Remodeling (basement this time) has once again cut into the truck build, so not a lot has been happening on that front. I did manage to finish cleaning the clear powdercoat from around the rivet heads on the wheels. I tried several things such as tiny sanding drums, mini carbide burrs, Cratex abrasives and etc., but nothing worked as well as the Xacto knife. So I painstakingly scraped every one of the 80 rivet heads and then hit them with the glass beads to remove the shiny places. I bought some 2.5" flap wheels from CGW and they work great in the big holes. Despite all of this, I'm still considering painting the wheel centers the Toxic Orange Pearl color to match the body. I'd leave the outer rims the aluminum finish with a coat of the Glisten PC over all of it. There are still a lot of warts on the wheels despite all the prep work. Painting the centers would hide a lot of evil.

I also did a bit of work on the floor. Pie cut the ends where they angled down and welded in some tapered material. The ends now go out straight and match the ends of the firewall. The rest of the f/w is another matter. I've laid out the cut lines I'll need to make to bring it in line with the floor. I'll have to remove a center section of the f/w completely, reform the bottom lip to match the floor and then weld it back in. Removing it will also allow me access to pull down and straighten the section that kicks up as it gets close to the tunnel.

As they say down in TX ...all that stands between me and the finish line is fear and thin air.

jlsanborn 12-23-2013 08:35 PM

That's a ton of fiddling around on the floor but you're making it look easy! Wheels look sharp too. I think you could pull off the painted centers. It'd be cool if you could leave the big holes natural. Wonder what'd take to polish the outers? It'd be cool if you could drill them phony rivets out, polish, then mash something custom back in to the rivet holes (polished SHCS or something)??? Just thinking out loud, no doubt about it, whatever you finish with is going to be trick and sanitary.

Vic1947 12-23-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6432156)
That's a ton of fiddling around on the floor but you're making it look easy! Wheels look sharp too. I think you could pull off the painted centers. It'd be cool if you could leave the big holes natural. Wonder what'd take to polish the outers? It'd be cool if you could drill them phony rivets out, polish, then mash something custom back in to the rivet holes (polished SHCS or something)??? Just thinking out loud, no doubt about it, whatever you finish with is going to be trick and sanitary.

It would be easy enough to mask the big holes. In fact, it might look better with the center caps which I'd planned to have clear anodized. As for the fake rivets, they're actually pressed in bolts with half round heads. During the cleanup operation, I removed the nut and washer off the backside of one and tried to drive it out. Did not budge even a whisker. So, drilling would be the only option if a person wanted to swap them out. I'm thinking doing 80 of them would make me crazy(er).

Vic1947 12-24-2013 07:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today was slice and dice time. After laying out the cut lines, I made the two vertical cuts on each side as well as a short horizontal cut at the top. Turns out the horizontal cuts were not really needed. I was able to move the firewall pinchweld edges into position with just a few light taps from a rubber mallet. At this point, I could tell the area around the curve of the tunnel would need some serious hammer and dolly work to get it to fit the floor. I started by flattening the pinchweld lip and then folding it back opposite how it was originally formed. I then laid down some tape on the roughed in edge as a guide for the final lip.

Vic1947 12-24-2013 07:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The pinchweld flange now lays flat along the entire edge of the floor instead of kicking up on each side as it approached the curve of the tunnel. After some additional work with the dolly, the firewall lip now fits very close to the lip of the floor in the tunnel area. With all the flanges fitting nicely between the frame supports, I went ahead and stitched up the cuts with some spotwelds. When the time comes, I'll weld the full length around the tunnel and spot weld the rest of the pinchweld flanges. I should have plenty of clearance over the top of the transmission case by making the firewall fit the floor.

Before I can permanently attach the floor and firewall, I need to weld in the vent covers in the kick panels. They had been gutted previously and since I'll be running a Vintage Air setup, I'll just block them off.

mcbassin 12-24-2013 07:54 PM

Very nice work on the floor Vic! Looks like you have massaged it into shape. Keep the pictures coming.

Vic1947 12-24-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6433635)
Very nice work on the floor Vic! Looks like you have massaged it into shape. Keep the pictures coming.

Will do, Mike, thanks and Merry Christmas to you and all my other forum friends!

jlsanborn 12-25-2013 03:00 AM

Looks great! Well thought out and executed!

Vic1947 12-27-2013 06:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Made some progress on the vent areas today. Tack welded in a patch on the passenger side, but needed something a bit more exotic on the driver side. The plan is to re-route the wiring that normally exits out of the firewall near the brake m/c. I'm mounting the fuse panel right over the vent opening which will allow the frontend wiring to exit thru the vent and then out thru a hole hidden by the front fender. The removable panel will seal against some rubber weatherstrip. The wiring bundle for the headlights, fan, park lamps, etc. will be tucked up under the fender and inside the core support. Should make for a nice clean look that's impossible to service later on. ;)

With the vents under control, I reinstalled the floor and firewall, clamped them together and welded out the alignment slits. Took a break from grinding to do this post. However, once the grinding is done, it all comes apart again so I can treat the underside of the dash with GEM Rust Killer and then spray a coat of epoxy primer.

sduckworth13 12-27-2013 06:24 PM

Looks great Vic, I like how your mounting and routing the wiring harness.

Low Elco 12-28-2013 12:24 PM

Looks great, Vic! Slick work on the harness. I'm vote #2 on the painted to match centers.

jlsanborn 12-28-2013 01:15 PM

Man that's looking good! It's funny, me sitting here turning my head trying to figger out what I'm looking at then it's suddenly like I found Waldo - Ahhh that's the cab without the firewall! Are you planning a cover for the fuse panel? Sounds like you've got a great plan for routing the wires!

Vic1947 12-28-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6438275)
Looks great, Vic! Slick work on the harness. I'm vote #2 on the painted to match centers.

Couple of buddies from Sedville came up yesterday to see the progress and the vote for the painted centers is unanimous …so we will make it so. Charlie had a phone photo of his 18" kidney beans with painted centers that sealed the deal.

Vic1947 12-28-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6438339)
Man that's looking good! It's funny, me sitting here turning my head trying to figger out what I'm looking at then it's suddenly like I found Waldo - Ahhh that's the cab without the firewall! Are you planning a cover for the fuse panel? Sounds like you've got a great plan for routing the wires!

:lol: Yeah, sometimes the angle of the shot doesn't match the real world orientation. Since posting that photo, I've rotated the fuse box 90 degrees which tucks it up much better and should completely hide it from view. I'll only build a cover if it ends up being visible.

Vic1947 12-30-2013 05:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today has been tiny patch day. The corners where the windshield gasket goes had some tin worm, so I opened up the areas and made a couple of small patches and welded them in. The entire pinch weld was gone, so there's both inside and outside patches.

Low Elco 12-30-2013 07:23 PM

Now, that's slick.

mcbassin 12-30-2013 09:17 PM

Very nice metal work!

snipescastle2 12-31-2013 09:24 AM

Vic,
Great Work! I finally got my drivers side rust repair done, now working the passenger side, although it wasn't nearly as bad as the drivers side. I too, had to do some windshield area repairs, found those areas once I welded in my A/C dash to the original dash metal. I am contemplating filling the speaker louvers in the center, better to do that now I guess. I'm also thinking of blocking off those side vents, probably use the space for kick panel speakers.
Keep up the great work!
Ben Smith:metal:

Vic1947 12-31-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipescastle2 (Post 6443115)
Vic,
Great Work! I finally got my drivers side rust repair done, now working the passenger side, although it wasn't nearly as bad as the drivers side. I too, had to do some windshield area repairs, found those areas once I welded in my A/C dash to the original dash metal. I am contemplating filling the speaker louvers in the center, better to do that now I guess. I'm also thinking of blocking off those side vents, probably use the space for kick panel speakers.
Keep up the great work!
Ben Smith:metal:

Thanks, Ben. You're right, with the windshield out, now's the time for mods like smoothing the speaker grille. I bought a set of the molded in kick panel speakers for the silver truck. The sound quality was not anything to write home about. I wished later that I'd invested in some nice surface mounted ones. By blocking off the vents, you end up with a lot more usable space to mount larger speakers and not have them in the way of your feet.

jlsanborn 12-31-2013 10:53 AM

Again, you make it look sooo easy! Well done!

Xeen 01-02-2014 08:57 AM

The cab is looking great Vic.
Whats the projected eta on the completion of all the cab work?

Vic1947 01-02-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeen (Post 6446383)
The cab is looking great Vic.
Whats the projected eta on the completion of all the cab work?

Thanks, Brian. I figure I have at least another 3-4 weeks of work on it. The floor and firewall are all fitted up and ready to weld in, but I need to epoxy primer the area under the dash before doing so. A bit too cold for that right now. Then, it will still need replacement kick panels, lower door pillars, rocker panels and cab corners. At that point, it will be ready for bodywork. However, I plan to start on the bed shortening project before slinging any mud. Maybe by the time all the tinwork is done, spring will be around the corner. I much prefer to do bodywork with the doors open to cut down on the mess.

Vic1947 01-11-2014 04:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We just got back into town from our second trip in a month to Houston. My buds at Cryotech Precision Machine asked me to help configure a new computer system for their shop when we visited them in December. Delivered four networked boxes to them and setup all their software this past week. While I was down there, they graciously CNC'd the flats on my center caps. All that remains is to drill and tap the holes for the set screws and get the caps anodized. Then if the weather will cooperate, maybe I can get the wheels painted and the tires back on.

bguild 01-11-2014 04:59 PM

Those caps turned out great!

sduckworth13 01-11-2014 05:49 PM

Very clean work Vic.

jlsanborn 01-13-2014 12:46 AM

Sharp! What color anodize?

rich67 01-13-2014 07:57 AM

vic what kinda of primer and paint did you use on your frame?

Low Elco 01-13-2014 09:16 AM

Caps look great! Shoulda had them engraved with the CRLS logo while you were playin' with the fancy fancy! Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out.

Vic1947 01-13-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6468057)
Sharp! What color anodize?

I was thinking I'd have them clear anodized to more or less match the rims. Alternatively, I could glass bead and clear coat them for an even closer match. The clear coat would be less expensive but not quite as durable. Plus, I'm not sure I want to obliterate the machined finish. Decisions, decisions...

Vic1947 01-13-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich67 (Post 6468284)
vic what kinda of primer and paint did you use on your frame?

The frame was sandblasted to bare metal and Chassis Black applied directly over it with no primer per the instructions. Chassis Black is a POR15 clone. It cures in the presence of humidity, is very hard and forms a tight bond to bare metal. Later on, I smoothed out the tops of the frame rails that are exposed in the engine bay then primered over the filler. When I spot finished them with the Chassis Black, it acted much more like conventional paint. Not nearly as slick and hard as directly over the metal.

I outsourced the frame painting to the company that sandblasted it. They did a pretty good job, however there were a few rough spots where it looks like dust settled on it. All those places will be hidden from view so I decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

Vic1947 01-13-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6468350)
Caps look great! Shoulda had them engraved with the CRLS logo while you were playin' with the fancy fancy! Can't wait to see how the wheels turn out.

Now see, that's what I get for not consulting the board before forging ahead. Great idea, Chip! Might not be too late, I'd just need to find a local shop that can do engraving. I know my sign maker buddy in Sedalia has an outfit that's done that kind of thing for him. I'll do some investigating.

bguild 01-13-2014 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6468502)
Now see, that's what I get for not consulting the board before forging ahead. Great idea, Chip! Might not be too late, I'd just need to find a local shop that can do engraving. I know my sign maker buddy in Sedalia has an outfit that's done that kind of thing for him. I'll do some investigating.

I will be in Sedalia next week if you need me to drop them off.

mcbassin 01-13-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vic1947 (Post 6465537)
We just got back into town from our second trip in a month to Houston. My buds at Cryotech Precision Machine asked me to help configure a new computer system for their shop when we visited them in December. Delivered four networked boxes to them and setup all their software this past week. While I was down there, they graciously CNC'd the flats on my center caps. All that remains is to drill and tap the holes for the set screws and get the caps anodized. Then if the weather will cooperate, maybe I can get the wheels painted and the tires back on.

Awesome work on the custom center caps. That's right up my ally.

Vic1947 01-13-2014 07:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The temps were in the low 60's yesterday, so I laid down some epoxy primer under the dash and on the firewall. Taped the edges to make it easier to do the spotwelds. Today I took a deep breath and committed to the task at hand. All the last minute measurements looked good and I could find no reason to put off welding in the floor and firewall any longer. Won't be long till it's sitting up on buckets and getting fitted for new rockers, cab corners and etc. although there's still a lot of welding and grinding to be done.

sduckworth13 01-13-2014 07:46 PM

Very nice Vic, you do awesome work. I never had a doubt that you would get it to fit like a glove, I only wondered how awesome it was going to look once you got it done.

sduckworth13 01-13-2014 08:03 PM

Vic, I'm usually available on the weekends or after I get off work if you need any help moving the cab around. Just let me know.

jlsanborn 01-14-2014 12:04 AM

Love this thread! Functional, tasteful and tidy. Doin it right man.

Vic1947 01-14-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6469877)
Love this thread! Functional, tasteful and tidy. Doin it right man.

Thanks!

Xeen 01-14-2014 03:21 AM

I'm glad to see the floor and firewall being installed this is a major milestone in the project.
Soon no one will ever know it used to be nothing but rust held together with hope and a prayer LOL.
I can't wait to see the rest of the cab work, good stuff man!