The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   My Facetruck thread. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=752660)

Ol Blue K20 10-27-2022 10:56 AM

Re: My Facetruck thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 9137869)
One owner low mile truck right there. How I know it's low mile? You don't beat a truck up like that out on the road. They'd have your drivers license long before it got that bad! :lol:

Here's the tow truck my friend spotted across a junk yard and new it was the one his dad bought when he got back from Vietnam. He ended up selling it to a body shop who painted it green. My friend knew what he was looking at from a distance, climbed over cars to get to it, affirmed it was the truck, and waited till the owner (son of deceased owner) sold off the cars blocking it in. For now it's a pretty fall decoration. One day it will be restored

I like it!

davischevy 11-05-2022 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finally got a foundation in. I could only find a part time block layer. I ended up laying over a thousand of them myself.

Our framer is still 3 weeks out.

kingsolver72 11-05-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9140961)
I finally got a foundation in. I could only find a part time block layer. I ended up laying over a thousand of them myself.

Dang Mr. Davis, you must’ve eaten your Wheaties. That’s a lot of work.
(“Work hard become a leader,be lazy become a slave.”)
Hopefully you won’t have to break out your hammer.lol

Steeveedee 11-05-2022 10:03 AM

That's a lot of block! Here we generally pump it into forms. Of course, forms take a fair amount of time and materials.

davischevy 11-05-2022 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 9140976)
That's a lot of block! Here we generally pump it into forms. Of course, forms take a fair amount of time and materials.

I typically would have poured the entire thing, but this had so many zigzag it was going to cost more than double.

Killer Bee 11-05-2022 01:36 PM

dang that's a lot of heavy work - looking good Larry!

leaving the mini-ex and trench roller inside for the grandson? :lol:

davischevy 11-05-2022 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 9141033)
dang that's a lot of heavy work - looking good Larry!

leaving the mini-ex and trench roller inside for the grandson? :lol:

I had about three feet of fill in there. I use the mini to spread it in four inch lifts and the trench compactor to compact it.

72 tigger 11-05-2022 08:20 PM

Nice progress Larry! Sorry about the framers

best view 11-05-2022 09:18 PM

That’s simple Larry invite Tim down with his tools :metal:

Steeveedee 11-05-2022 10:49 PM

Framing is easy with some pneumatic nailers and a crew to stand up some walls. When I built an addition on my previous house, it was just my brother and me, and we raised the outer walls in sections, it just being the two of us. One side was 36 feet, thus raising in sections. Must've done OK, that construction survived the '94 Northridge earthquake.

special-K 11-07-2022 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9140961)

I've been wondering how your house was coming along. 1000 block? pfff... what did you do the rest of the day? :cool:
Having to wait to start framing is no fun when you are right and ready. Hopefully he'll make it worth your while with his best work.
Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 9141167)
That’s simple Larry invite Tim down with his tools :metal:

Eh, might not want that if he wants it closed in this year, or next! I used to be a lot of things and fast was one of them :lol:
Besides, I prefer old rotted out falling over buildings. That foundation is probably too straight and level. I wouldn't know how to deal with that :ito:

I got that summer kitchen ready for metal roof when it comes in. Now I'm fixing an enclosed cellar door entrance that has had negligent work done all around and on it with no regard for the effects of water. That work included putting new shingles on without a stitch of step flashing against the house. Before that the house got a typical vinyl siding job, just come put the siding on without addressing any water issues. The sills have rotted causing the walls to sink where it meets the house. The rafters have rot, and the walls have spread. So the ridge runs downhill toward the house 3" and water runs right in. The roof has sunken away from that pretty siding job. The homeowner's complaint (tip of the iceberg) was water running across the cellar floor causing dampness. I'll get pictures.

davischevy 11-07-2022 10:19 PM

I'm not as good as I once was,

But I'm as good once as I ever was.

GOPAPA 11-09-2022 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davischevy (Post 9142074)
I'm not as good as I once was,

But I'm as good once as I ever was.

Looks good ..Have you priced metal studs for framing ? just curious what difference in cost it would be.. I have done a bit of metal wall building in schools and surprised at how strong it is when done ..

Waiting is hard to do when you got everything ready and winter is near

You know better than many that contractors put you on hold a lot .. they bid the jobs ahead of themselves and then you wait.. ( I understand this way of doing things as down time is no money coming in)

Besides you need to take care of that knee you hurt way back then.. lol

Rich84 11-09-2022 12:16 PM

Steel studs will cost more. Plus you will need engineered shop drawings.

Does make for a well built structure, and it's varmint proof.

davischevy 11-13-2022 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOPAPA (Post 9142454)
Looks good ..Have you priced metal studs for framing ? just curious what difference in cost it would be.. I have done a bit of metal wall building in schools and surprised at how strong it is when done ..

Waiting is hard to do when you got everything ready and winter is near

You know better than many that contractors put you on hold a lot .. they bid the jobs ahead of themselves and then you wait.. ( I understand this way of doing things as down time is no money coming in)

Besides you need to take care of that knee you hurt way back then.. lol

We use metal studs a lot on commercial projects, but I didn't consider metal studs on this Larry.

The framer has been working for us for almost 20 years. My timing was bad in regard to his schedule, but with the mason put me behind anyway so the framer is now going to be on time. :lol:

special-K 11-14-2022 06:31 AM

Who says you can't stretch and shrink time?

This time last year I picked up steel studs for an office build-out and was amazed at how expensive they are now. So many prices shot up in the past year. I'd hate to see what they cost now. I know the steel roofing shot up in price, so goes to figure.... $^^^

Rich84 11-15-2022 01:18 PM

The price of steel studs is crazy high. More costly then wood especially, as you get into the heavier gauges that are needed for structural walls.

davischevy 11-29-2022 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We are making progress, I swear we are.

57taskforce 11-29-2022 09:53 PM

Looking good Larry!

special-K 11-29-2022 11:41 PM

Where's the grass?? :lol: Are you prepping for the framer?

davischevy 11-29-2022 11:53 PM

The framer is having employee issues. Still a month out.

davischevy 01-13-2023 11:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We finally ordered floor joists for the new house today. I need to take some updated pictures.

Meanwhile, we have been remodeling an apartment. This load of construction waste went to the recycle center. (The waste is on the trailer.)

special-K 01-14-2023 10:29 AM

We all know what a trailer queen is. Yours is a trailer king

I'd say I can't wait to see pictures of some framing, but I know you can't wait to take some!

special-K 01-29-2023 08:13 AM

How's this little old homebuilding side job going? Has your winter been as mild as ours here? This whole month has been at least a little above average, if not more. No measurable snow at this point, which is a new record (Jan 25th)

davischevy 01-29-2023 10:14 PM

I was thinking earlier, I need to get some current pictures. The weather took a turn for the worse here. Sno messed us up last week and now a threat of ice tonight. This coming week looks bad but then smooth sailing for a while.