The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

Andy4639 05-10-2016 05:00 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

1 Attachment(s)
I put a 11" booster back on the truck. Man it make a world of differance in stopping!
The 8" chrome looked better but it didn't function worth a crap!
:chevy:

In The Ten Ring 05-10-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7588843)
I put a 11" booster back on the truck. Man it make a world of differance in stopping!

So those new-looking small ones aren't any good?

I think my brake booster came off some old junkyard Nova.

Today I used NAPA rust treatment on the firewall side of my heater box flapper, put a couple more coats of paint onto my tailgate chains, and I decided NOT to remove the flapper from the heater box. Members also told me how to clean up the outside of the box and to clear coat it.

Already Gone 05-10-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy4639 (Post 7588843)

Andy your booster looks looks like it is tight to the firewall. How did you do you that ?

Andy4639 05-10-2016 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 7588908)
Andy your booster looks looks like it is tight to the firewall. How did you do you that ?

I used the brackets from the 8" booster. It does sit a little closer to the fire wall but not much.:chevy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-1967-7...item4d3183d855

matthamby 05-11-2016 06:58 AM

My grandpa made that bumper, he did a good job with it, it did match the "v" in the front end, that is 2"x6"x1/4" channel, pretty solid, but someone has bent that!

jwilb88 05-11-2016 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mounted my benchwork steering box:metal:

89AKurt 05-13-2016 01:57 AM

I mounted driving lights (I have a thread about it). Cost $3.49 for stainless allen screws, lights were taken off my dying MINI.

70STOVEBOLT 05-13-2016 08:44 AM

I fixed my non-working license plate light on the right side of my step bumper. Replaced the wire and connector on that side (non-factory bumper) and now it works! Also swapped out my faded side markers for new aftermarket units.

summitflier 05-13-2016 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I stained the bed... (I don't usually brag about that, but... )

BugzC10 05-13-2016 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7591924)
I stained the bed... (I don't usually brag about that, but... )

Nice deep color..what are you going to do next? Spar?

summitflier 05-13-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 7591949)
Nice deep color..what are you going to do next? Spar?

Thanks - Minwax Red oak.

Trying to decide between spar varnish, or a few people have recommended
exterior urethane. Anyone have any experience either way?
Other than clear... any certain type? Satin, gloss?

BugzC10 05-13-2016 03:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7591970)
Thanks - Minwax Red oak.

Trying to decide between spar varnish, or a few people have recommended
exterior urethane. Anyone have any experience either way?
Other than clear... any certain type? Satin, gloss?

I used Minwax Polyurathane clear satin. 4 or 5 coats... It's been a couple years and holding up great. The truck is always garaged, however.

summitflier 05-13-2016 03:19 PM

Looks great. Someone recommended Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, clear gloss.
I think I'm going to give it a try. 4 or 5 coats sounds about right.

BugzC10 05-13-2016 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7592014)
Looks great. Someone recommended Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, clear gloss.
I think I'm going to give it a try. 4 or 5 coats sounds about right.

Now that you wrote it out..that's exactly what I used. Hey..I'm over 65, I get a pass now and then. :lol: I looked in my garage and found the poly satin, but I had a feeling that it was not what I used.

CST10 05-13-2016 07:52 PM

Changed the water pump gasket and water neck gasket on the ol 250 in goldilocks. They had a slight seepage.

69chevytrucker 05-13-2016 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1532523

Attachment 1532524

Attachment 1532525
put a gas peddle in my project super short c10 4x4

projectking 05-13-2016 11:09 PM

Pulled my engine outside in the rain.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-14-2016 06:55 PM

Sometimes I have to pinch myself after having removed parts. 45 years on the truck and better than new. Personally, I like some stain in the mirror. I'll hit the chrome one last time before I mount this in 2018, just because. By the image, I did a sloppy job on that boot. I should have drenched it in treatment and used a toothbrush religiously. My eyes failed me, followed by me brain. EDIT: That was a stand in, I took a pic. of the right one:

BTW, 3M chrome/metal polish is great stuff.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...18&oe=57E44CFD

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=57D94AB0

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...99&oe=579BF618

BugzC10 05-14-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7593137)
Sometimes I have to pinch myself after having removed parts. 45 years on the truck and better than new. Personally, I like some stain in the mirror. I'll hit the chrome one last time before I mount this in 2018, just because. By the image, I did a sloppy job on that boot. I should have drenched it in treatment and used a toothbrush religiously. My eyes failed me, followed by me brain.

BTW, 3M chrome/metal polish is great stuff.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...18&oe=57E44CFD

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...cd&oe=57D94AB0

That look brand new....did you use a power tool or by hand?

firedemon 05-14-2016 08:57 PM

replaced my windshield gasket with a precision gasket don't buy the lmc gasket that thing leaked so bad and I couldn't get the trim in to save my life . the new one I bought dosent have the trim and I'm glad I was able to put it in in 20 min with just my brother for help pouring rain here today and leak free

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-14-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firedemon (Post 7593278)
replaced my windshield gasket with a precision gasket don't buy the lmc gasket that thing leaked so bad and I couldn't get the trim in to save my life . the new one I bought dosent have the trim and I'm glad I was able to put it in in 20 min with just my brother for help pouring rain here today and leak free

Personally I don't use LMC. I know they have a few nice pieces though, like their top end instrument cluster. Precision seems to have a good reputation. A competitive vendor recommends them to restore vent windows.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-14-2016 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 7593173)
That look brand new....did you use a power tool or by hand?

By hand. I hit it 3-4 times with a flat hand, polish and a layer or two of small terry cloths. These rub out rather well. Removed a nice layer of black, possibly tarnish. That may have worked out to be a good thing......I didn't expect this at all. The rubber is great as well. Pleasantly surprised to say the least. Especially after handling the mirror far too often, because the arm was stripped where the mirror attaches. I had different priorities.

Note: That polish does rub out fine scratches in chrome, which may vary on piece (I'm no expert). Removes light scuffs as well.

firedemon 05-14-2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 7593358)
Personally I don't use LMC. I know they have a few nice pieces though, like their top end instrument cluster. Precision seems to have a good reputation. A competitive vendor recommends them to restore vent windows.

I thought a gasket is a gasket with a 30 dollar difference went the wrong way learned a lesson

Ed F 05-15-2016 02:48 PM

The Highlander's water pump was making noise and seeping a bit, the timing chain cover was dripping oil and the radiator was dripping antifreeze out of soft spots on the drivers side tank. So I pulled it all apart yesterday afternoon and put it back together this morning. I couldn't believe the number of loose bolts I found. Basically if it wasn't a bolt for belt adjustment it was slightly more than finger tight. It makes me wonder about the internals. I also found a freeze plug that was seeping so I replaced that too. The belts are in great shape and so is the upper radiator hose but the lower hose is pretty soft and the spring inside is badly corroded and a piece bike off. Are the radiators hoses readily available?

firedemon 05-15-2016 04:29 PM

checked still getting drips on floor near clutch pedal but dash is dry as a bone think I have another issue never ends