The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=612422)

69chevytrucker 05-15-2016 06:24 PM

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1533070
got my 4x4 shifter and trans shifter bolted up today, took the hump from a1983 k5 blazer and cut out about 4 inches of the length out and welded it back together so it would fit on the floor.

BenC/10 05-15-2016 07:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent today trying to figure out why my seat felt so "lumpy"...Answer found! looks like the perimeter frame has broken off on the driver side, two of the flat looking springs are loose at the coiled end,one has been replace by simple wire, and the side support springs are broken on the passenger side :waah:

OregonNed 05-15-2016 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7592014)
Looks great. Someone recommended Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane, clear gloss.
I think I'm going to give it a try. 4 or 5 coats sounds about right.

We are just now doing my bed and looking at about 10 coats of this:

https://www.epifanes.com/page/clear-finishes

Really good stuff...

magwakeenercew2jh 05-15-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 7592017)
...snips....Hey..I'm over 65, I get a pass now and then.

X2

:lol::lol::lol:

matthamby 05-15-2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenC/10 (Post 7594125)
Spent today trying to figure out why my seat felt so "lumpy"...Answer found! looks like the perimeter frame has broken off on the driver side, two of the flat looking springs are loose at the coiled end,one has been replace by simple wire, and the side support springs are broken on the passenger side :waah:

If you were in NC, I have a decent bench seat that I'll be replacing soon!

VWNate1 05-16-2016 12:46 AM

I looked at it again ;

I RETIRED (yippee) Friday after 32 years of eating bovine excrement and now I'll have some time to hopefully get back to it....

Reading and looking at all the good hard works you alls do is motivating me

sawyerrm 05-16-2016 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VWNate1 (Post 7594499)
I looked at it again ;

I RETIRED (yippee) Friday after 32 years of eating bovine excrement and now I'll have some time to hopefully get back to it....

congrats

rsgt 05-16-2016 08:04 PM

I painted the inside today! I am pretty excited.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps15isvwbx.jpg

PaddyO2053 05-16-2016 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had some pics taken today for classic truck magazine Attachment 1533723

Mator 05-17-2016 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=PaddyO2053;7595561]Had some pics taken today for classic truck magazine Attachment 1533723[/QUOT
Great looking truck

tlman 05-17-2016 08:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished mechanical repairs ,one wheel bearing ,speedi sleeve for seal ,paint rotors ,now im waiting patiently for body shop to finish box and paint this thing so I can carry on with assembly

Fat Lip Fab 05-17-2016 08:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dimpled my door panels over the weekend.

midniteblues 05-18-2016 08:58 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Congrats nate im sure its been a long time coming.

Finished smoothing and painting set of rams for my k.
What a dirty job that iron dust is nasty stuff.
I still gotta terminate the wires at the cap and get a new clutch but besides that the 400ci is ready to drop in.
now to get the truck ready for it...scrape clean and paint another dirty job.

I don't think I'll be reusing this brake line banjo bolt...looks like it's trying to set me up for a bad evening.

Also made a oil primer out of a old distributor. I was thinking of mounting a extra oil pressure Guage to it.

saskman02 05-18-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midniteblues (Post 7597032)
Congrats nate im sure its been a long time coming.

Finished smoothing and painting set of rams for my k.
What a dirty job that iron dust is nasty stuff.
I still gotta terminate the wires at the cap and get a new clutch but besides that the 400ci is ready to drop in.
now to get the truck ready for it...scrape clean and paint another dirty job.

I don't think I'll be reusing this brake line banjo bolt...looks like it's trying to set me up for a bad evening.

Also made a oil primer out of a old distributor. I was thinking of mounting a extra oil pressure Guage to it.

Motor is looking really good, those parts cleaned up real nice! What are you using to keep the four plug wires away from the exhaust manifold where the wires come off the cap and make the turn to the plugs? I just noticed mine were almost resting on the manifold and would like to get some space between the wires and the manifold.

VWNate1 05-18-2016 12:38 PM

Thanx Blues ~ 32 years of eating you know what..... :waah: .

Gotta get my truck road worthy again .

Your engine really looks sharp ~ I'm sure many here would enjoy seeing the details up close and personal along with descriptions ~ I too am fanatical about how I dress engines and assemble things , I'm no painted but I really enjoy the details .

Did you wire brush those manifolds or what ? they're aftermarket or you ground them smooth ? .

NAPA sells them brandy new , Chinese I *think* .

Rich69shortfleet 05-18-2016 01:33 PM

Installing some HEI tune up parts when I get home from work. I've replaced everything on this HEI except for the coil, so I might as well replace that too....

74baggedbug 05-18-2016 02:06 PM

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...12C1B1F9F0.jpg

Got the call from the chrome shop that the grill is ready for my truck.. No more polishing my grill

kx57 05-18-2016 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsgt (Post 7595375)
I painted the inside today! I am pretty excited.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...ps15isvwbx.jpg

Do you have any close ups of how you masked off the column? Just curious what parts you felt required protection.

Thanks.

BugzC10 05-18-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74baggedbug (Post 7597327)
http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/...12C1B1F9F0.jpg

Got the call from the chrome shop that the grill is ready for my truck.. No more polishing my grill

That's sweet...that must of cost a chunk of change. Was it cheaper than having it professionally polished? I inquired about polishing mine polished and they wanted $600 bucks....so I passed and cleaned up myself, but it still looks so so.

ole dollor 05-18-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

I looked at it again ;

congrats on the retirement ......its great , best job I ever had . hope you have as much fun as ive have , hope the truck is coming along good .....Don

74baggedbug 05-18-2016 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 7597417)
That's sweet...that must of cost a chunk of change. Was it cheaper than having it professionally polished? I inquired about polishing mine polished and they wanted $600 bucks....so I passed and cleaned up myself, but it still looks so so.

It was $800 to chrome it and with a lifetime warranty.. Most shops would only give me the tail light warranty when it came to chroming a aluminum grill

rsgt 05-18-2016 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx57 (Post 7597387)
Do you have any close ups of how you masked off the column? Just curious what parts you felt required protection.

Thanks.

I masked all of the turn signal switch and upper shaft. I left the tilt lever on there and just masked it so I could adjust the tilt while painting to get complete coverage.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-19-2016 01:44 AM

rsgt..........Don't know what color that is, but I'd be excited too.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 05-19-2016 01:47 AM

Quote:

I looked at it again ;

I'm out December 31st...........I'll be working on my truck, and then I'm going to work on my truck. And then I'm going to stare at it.

midniteblues 05-19-2016 10:44 AM

5 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=VWNate1;7597243]Thanx Blues ~ 32 years of eating you know what..... and after all those meals I still wouldn't say your full of $hit.

Did you wire brush those manifolds or what ? they're aftermarket or you ground them smooth ? .

In my first pic I included the tools I used to smooth them.

These are oe manifolds i have a few layin around so i figured i could ruin a set.;)
Grinding disc first then a lil' burr work, flap disc, roloc sanding disc and finally roloc scotch Brite discs to finish them out.
I also used a few of these other "wheels/discs" but I don't know the name of them...like a rough hard scotch brite.

And before all that I drilled and tapped for all the new studs.

Saskman, I used all the looms/dressings off the oe 307 that was in the truck. See pics of the rear looms. I had to drill and tap bolt holes for them also.
I don't like how the 4 front wires are routed behind the motor mount. I would have to cut the wire or loosen the motor mount to get them back out. Hence the reason I didn't terminate them yet.

This is a low mileage 400 from a box van that was used for storage and rotted into the ground.

I had to drill and tap the block for the z bar ball stud.
I did both holes aligned with a oe ball stud bracket so it's like every other sbc out there.

Smoothed all the casting lines on the block heads and water pump.

Slightly polished the distributor base.
Port matched intake.
Usually I would smooth out the edges on all the brackets but I had most of these painted up way before hand so I didnt.

Here's a few more pics.