The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Tricked-out Chevy six cylinder engines (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=276823)

KroAutomotiveInc 05-16-2013 08:23 PM

Re: Tricked-out Chevy six cylinder engines

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...ps21ef3baf.jpg

Vernski 05-17-2013 01:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Way cool pictures KRO, I have a question or two for anyone that has had experince with 80's HEI. Is it ok to mount the coil metal to metal or does it need to be isolated from grounding? And it has a pink wire, and a brown wire, is the brown where you hook the tac wire in or the pink wire? This came with no instructions so that's why I'm asking, thanks for any input Here's some pic's of the unit...Vernski:lol:

KroAutomotiveInc 05-17-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 6076326)
Way cool pictures KRO, I have a question or two for anyone that has had experince with 80's HEI. Is it ok to mount the coil metal to metal or does it need to be isolated from grounding? And it has a pink wire, and a brown wire, is the brown where you hook the tac wire in or the pink wire? This came with no instructions so that's why I'm asking, thanks for any input Here's some pic's of the unit...Vernski:lol:

Hey Vernski! that looks like the same hei i have and my coil is just mounted to a steel bracket arm on the side of the block and about the wires im not sure i could take a look at mine see if i could figure anything out for ya this afternoon.

Vernski 05-18-2013 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 6076340)
Hey Vernski! that looks like the same hei i have and my coil is just mounted to a steel bracket arm on the side of the block and about the wires im not sure i could take a look at mine see if i could figure anything out for ya this afternoon.

KRO thanks for the info on mounting the coil, I think the brown wire is the tach at least it is on my 86 Silverado anyway...Vernski:lol:

K98AL 05-20-2013 07:40 AM

I just got my new hei kit from Langdon's on Friday. Brown wire indeed goes to tach. What the heck do you use for a bracket? I got the distributor, coil, wire and new plugs from Langdon, and not a word about how to mount the coil...

KroAutomotiveInc 05-20-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K98AL (Post 6080516)
I just got my new hei kit from Langdon's on Friday. Brown wire indeed goes to tach. What the heck do you use for a bracket? I got the distributor, coil, wire and new plugs from Langdon, and not a word about how to mount the coil...

i can take some pics of mine but its just like a piece of flat bar.

K98AL 05-20-2013 01:04 PM

That's what I'm using. Build-a bracket!

Vernski 05-20-2013 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 6080993)
i can take some pics of mine but its just like a piece of flat bar.

KRO purdy much sum-ed it up that's what I used heres some pic's of it good luck...Vernski:lol:

KroAutomotiveInc 05-20-2013 02:23 PM

that looks nice Vernski i love your truck i seen the picture on 35 years in the making build thread so clean and smooth gotta love it.

K98AL 05-20-2013 03:04 PM

Thanks for posting the pics!

Vernski 05-20-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KroAutomotiveInc (Post 6081154)
that looks nice Vernski i love your truck i seen the picture on 35 years in the making build thread so clean and smooth gotta love it.

Hey thanks KRO much appreciated ...Vernski:gmc2:

Welcome on the pic's K98AL ...Vernski:metal:

DLOE65 05-20-2013 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here's the mount I made, just welded a small tab to my motor mount.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

K98AL 05-22-2013 07:20 AM

What kind of mufflers? I'm running Fenton headers, and had some no-name turbos installed, I don't like'em. I'm thinking of running Cherry Bombs or Cherry Bomb glasspacks. (What's the difference??)

Any advice?

KroAutomotiveInc 05-22-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K98AL (Post 6084294)
What kind of mufflers? I'm running Fenton headers, and had some no-name turbos installed, I don't like'em. I'm thinking of running Cherry Bombs or Cherry Bomb glasspacks. (What's the difference??)

Any advice?

theres no difference cherry bomb is a brand and glasspack is the type of muffler around here in utah the parts stores have told me cherry bomb is no longer in business they sell thrush glasspacks now which i have on my truck if you don't mind how loud they can be i love mine but its definitely close to straight pipe when your laying your foot into it.

i ran all new tubing and a glasspack for like 90 bucks.

K98AL 05-22-2013 01:22 PM

I was looking at Cherry Bomb's website, and they show "Cherry Bombs Old School" and "Cherry Bomb Glasspacks" as two different things. Pics are different, too.
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca.../mufflers.aspx

Back in the early 80s, I sold auto parts, and Cherry Bombs were always glasspacks....

KroAutomotiveInc 05-22-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K98AL (Post 6084767)
I was looking at Cherry Bomb's website, and they show "Cherry Bombs Old School" and "Cherry Bomb Glasspacks" as two different things. Pics are different, too.
http://www.cherrybomb.com/Catalog/Ca.../mufflers.aspx

Back in the early 80s, I sold auto parts, and Cherry Bombs were always glasspacks....

looks like they are still around then the glasspack just has fiber glass in it im guessing the old school is the same thing just a different outer casing and maybe a small differences in sound but im guessing its just straight throw like the glasspack.

DLOE65 05-22-2013 02:06 PM

check out porter mufflers, they are a steel pack muffler, usa built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgkD...e_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

Vernski 05-22-2013 03:11 PM

I have purple hornies on mine, I believe they are the same as cherry bombs, they are short straight thru glass pacs. They are unbelievably loud when you get on it and have to be careful where you are when you do. They snarl and bark real load and could get you a ticket if you really stand on the gas. Now I wish I had bought some long smittys instead, but so much for hind-site.
If your lookin for loud these are the babies...Vernski:devil::sumo::metal:

K98AL 05-23-2013 07:11 AM

I'm gonna get the Cherry Bombs - I'll let y'all know how it works out. Thanks for the help!

paintman 05-23-2013 06:02 PM

well it's not completely tricked out yet but I'm gettin there with my new custom stainless headers!
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps8af14ccf.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps20441532.jpg

Vernski 05-23-2013 07:01 PM

Very nice custom headers, who made them up ? Nice welds on stainless Paintman and nice custom A-arms as well...Vernski:metal:

paintman 05-23-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vernski (Post 6087012)
Very nice custom headers, who made them up ? Nice welds on stainless Paintman and nice custom A-arms as well...Vernski:metal:

Hey Vernski! Oddly enough, the headers where made out in your state by Stainless Headers Inc, Fargo ND.

Vernski 05-23-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintman (Post 6087100)
Hey Vernski! Oddly enough, the headers where made out in your state by Stainless Headers Inc, Fargo ND.

Hey Paintman I'm about 800 or so miles west of Fargo in N.Idaho panhandle about 28 miles east of Spokane Washington, just a little jump from Fargo...Vernski:uhmk:

K98AL 05-28-2013 07:46 AM

I got the HEI installed Saturday - the old six runs great! I didn't expect that big of a difference. Had Cherry Bombs installed instead of the turbos that were on, I love it! My dad is an old hot rodder, he grinned as soon as he heard it fire up!

T2vigil 05-28-2013 09:14 AM

I finally got around to checking the gas mileage and I was very pleased. 102 miles and used 5.46 gallons. Mind you it was never any faster than 55 MPH and never over 2500 RPMs. I guess that justifies my rebuild and I am very pleased.