The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Building a Blazer - vtblazer's Way (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=301206)

FormerMember 12-17-2008 03:03 PM

Re: Building a Blazer - vtblazer's Way

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3032709)
Well...dunno for sure really. :rolleyes:
I checked DIY's web site, looked through the tech section and read the install info and yes, mine are not on the way the tech article set is BUT it's the only way they would fit, tried em both ways and being this is a temp. install, I wasn't super concerned.
I still need to prime/paint the welded nut brackets but I had to mount the springs so I can get the tub on enough to move the thing around.

Once I land the tub, I can mess around more with em.
The axles need to be pulled & painted, probly do it then.

Did you mention to Kert that you were going to run longer springs?

vtblazer 12-17-2008 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3032729)
Did you mention to Kert that you were going to run longer springs?

Nope, never talked with him about the flip, just ordered it directly from the web site.

Shouldn't the words '1st gen' in the bracket be readable from the rear? :confused:
That's moslty what made me think they were in correctly...still dunno.

vtblazer 12-17-2008 03:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Tub & frame are together again.

Not really a job to be taken on solo IMO but it worked out.
Just sitting on the rubber mounts, three of the old bolts are still welded onto the tub and the two 1st position bolts are only in the holes.

Rear axle is way forward, glad these aren't the springs I had planned on running.

70rs/ss 12-17-2008 04:20 PM

Lookin' mean! I beleive once I sort out my hobbies (and thin the heard a bunch!) I will one day have another 4X, they just look too coll sitting in that stance, so I may end up with a 2wd and a 4X4?! So I can have it both ways, high and Low!

Ron 586 12-18-2008 01:26 AM

Love the color scheme. When you come thru Knoxville keep it in sight. One of them Vol fans might hijack it. Looking good.

Chevyman63 12-18-2008 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron 586 (Post 3033748)
Love the color scheme. When you come thru Knoxville keep it in sight. One of them Vol fans might hijack it. Looking good.

Never thought of that...good advice. :lol:

vtblazer 12-18-2008 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dubbin' around this morning...

About as much bling as this trucks gonna get.

Jtrux 12-18-2008 09:31 AM

Looks good, so when does it fire up?

jaros44sr 12-18-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3034008)
Dubbin' around this morning...

About as much bling as this trucks gonna get.

Ahhh, I see the engine is outta' the basement, looks sweet, I remember when you bought them VC's, the guy said the need polishing. They look pretty shiny from here. Wished ya wooda' pulled back a little more so I could see the injection unit...Oh well, I'll have to wait to see it in person
Apparently the heater is workin' well, nice to be in a cozy workshop
One question, what are you doin' with your frame horns?

I'm going to be to embarrased to ride to Tenn. behind you, I'll have to stay way back, but atleast I can watch out for any Vols. from back there LOL...Pinky

Looks like the insulation is out of the truck and on the wall

vtblazer 12-18-2008 04:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is my 'extra' set up ya know Pinky. ;)

AJs72K5 12-18-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3032767)
Nope, never talked with him about the flip, just ordered it directly from the web site.

Shouldn't the words '1st gen' in the bracket be readable from the rear? :confused:
That's moslty what made me think they were in correctly...still dunno.

They're on right for a 52" spring. If I had to guess, the springs are really stiff and are pulling in the shackle angle.

Fuel injection looks awesome, btw.

Chevyman63 12-18-2008 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJs72K5 (Post 3034858)
They're on right for a 52" spring. If I had to guess, the springs are really stiff and are pulling in the shackle angle.

Fuel injection looks awesome, btw.

I'll second that.

I checked mine tonight and they go on the same way. Are yours cut out for the gas tank bolts?

AJs72K5 12-18-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevyman63 (Post 3034894)
I'll second that.

I checked mine tonight and they go on the same way. Are yours cut out for the gas tank bolts?

Yessir. Mine are notched for the gas tank straps. I traded PMs with someone about that a while back....was it you Tim?

Chevyman63 12-18-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJs72K5 (Post 3034952)
Yessir. Mine are notched for the gas tank straps. I traded PMs with someone about that a while back....was it you Tim?

Could've been...my memory doesn't work so good anymore. :lol:

BLUE THUNDER 12-18-2008 11:07 PM

Love the build thread. I especially like the H2 wheels. They look awesome. Can't wait to see more. Later, Mario.

vtblazer 12-19-2008 09:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
TPI serp belt assembly mock up.

Hard to find part, I'll tell ya.

One more ginormous box outta here!

vtblazer 12-19-2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3032648)
Kurt, dumb question time.... do you have the rear shackle flip brackets on the right way?

I guess I do.
After talking with other guys having done this with the DIY flip on their 1st gens, I was told I got em on correctly.

When I do order my rear springs, I'll make an effort to have the shackles sit @ the magical 10* loaded.

Big J 12-19-2008 09:33 AM

Motor looks good to me. You gonna have air or is the compressor for a air tank?

vtblazer 12-19-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big J (Post 3035679)
Motor looks good to me. You gonna have air or is the compressor for a air tank?

Dunno right now, originally I was going to just install the dummy pulley but since it's already there (and if it actually works) I might consider using it as an on board air set up.

FormerMember 12-19-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtblazer (Post 3035674)
I guess I do.
After talking with other guys having done this with the DIY flip on their 1st gens, I was told I got em on correctly.

When I do order my rear springs, I'll make an effort to have the shackles sit @ the magical 10* loaded.

A 56" long spring 3/4 ton will do that :)

Check the measurement on the blue k5... I.E. where the shackle drops. Looks like to me that they're dropping in the same place. The blue K5 has 4" lift 3/4ton springs (56") that with the 4" shackle flip netted 6" total lift and is very flexible, as you know.

AJs72K5 12-19-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel (Post 3035690)
A 56" long spring 3/4 ton will do that :)

Check the measurement on the blue k5... I.E. where the shackle drops. Looks like to me that they're dropping in the same place. The blue K5 has 4" lift 3/4ton springs (56") that with the 4" shackle flip netted 6" total lift and is very flexible, as you know.

It's definately something with the springs. Go back and look at post #244. The shackle angle is almost the same with the ORD flip on it. Keep in mind too that there's almost no load on those springs right now either.

Chevyman63 12-19-2008 01:03 PM

Wow...you sure do have a lot of really cool toys! :chevy: :metal:

vtblazer 12-19-2008 03:54 PM

Merry X-Mas...ME! :D

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...ms/d60hsa1.jpg

Big J 12-19-2008 04:21 PM

Alright, brain fart here. What are they? Doesn't really matter as they are friggin' cool.:lol:

msgross 12-19-2008 04:21 PM

nice, high steer crossover conversion?