The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Project Family Truckster: 2wd Conversion Turbo LSx Blazer Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=529064)

ColoradoK5 10-10-2013 12:08 PM

Re: Project Family Truckster: 2wd Conversion Turbo LSx Blazer Build

Cool Video! cant wait to see what you do next love what you are doing with the blazer

whitels1 11-11-2013 12:46 PM

Great job with the Blazer!

timmytimm3 11-15-2013 12:14 PM

Great vid! Mexico is much nicer than I thought.

What a great road to do some testing

lyrikz 11-29-2013 11:33 AM

Awesome truck man.

softballnrd27 01-14-2014 02:03 PM

What size are the wheels? 18x?

72Blazing 01-14-2014 11:04 PM

What rate coilover springs did you end up going with?
I just received my No Limit wide ride and Fat Bar setup and
Rob sent me 200 and 450s.

Wasted Income 01-15-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by softballnrd27 (Post 6470632)
What size are the wheels? 18x?

18x9 all the way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72Blazing (Post 6471607)
What rate coilover springs did you end up going with?
I just received my No Limit wide ride and Fat Bar setup and
Rob sent me 200 and 450s.

For the rear, i ended up going with a 375 lb/in spring....but your shock length and location will affect how much spring rate you need.

I also have 450s in the front, but I think it needs more. I have my preload adjuster cranked TIGHT to bring the front end up, so it's not so raked out. But mine started out as a 4x4, so the frame has that extra 1" kick to it that I'm fighting.

72Blazing 01-15-2014 08:34 PM

Mine was a 4x4 also. Rob said he would exchange the springs if I needed something
different.

Wasted Income 01-27-2014 11:17 AM

Well, an update.

Found out what all the racket in the engine was....

4 bent rods, 5 pistons with broke ring lands, and one piston hitting the crank. lol. Was still running pretty good up until I tore it out of the truck.

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...pscx398nej.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...psf2rotipj.jpg

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...psenquotcg.jpg

Hart_Rod 01-27-2014 11:27 AM

Heat?

Wasted Income 01-27-2014 11:47 AM

Detonation.

Hart_Rod 01-27-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6493396)
Detonation.

Ouch!

Tom Vogel 01-28-2014 10:03 AM

You might want to install a wideband O2 sensor on that new motor. Shes way leanin out.

Wasted Income 01-28-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 6494976)
You might want to install a wideband O2 sensor on that new motor. Shes way leanin out.

Lol, ok.

You mean this here wideband?

http://i44.tinypic.com/2eapeg0.jpg

Trust me when I say, it was most certainly not too lean.

lt155ruck 01-28-2014 01:02 PM

Lol. I think perhaps it might be a question of the owner not wanting to loose in some of those exhibitions of speed in "Mexico" ?? Haha you have to enjoy the giggle factor. .. even if it costs an ls motor.

Wasted Income 01-28-2014 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt155ruck (Post 6495288)
Lol. I think perhaps it might be a question of the owner not wanting to loose in some of those exhibitions of speed in "Mexico" ?? Haha you have to enjoy the giggle factor. .. even if it costs an ls motor.

This guy. This guy gets it! haha :metal::lol:

lt155ruck 01-28-2014 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasted Income (Post 6496517)
This guy. This guy gets it! haha :metal::lol:

LOL Next short block please....maybe we should dial the boost back..... NAH more is always better :devil:

Tom Vogel 01-29-2014 10:36 AM

So whats your CR and boost level?

Wasted Income 01-29-2014 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lt155ruck (Post 6496571)
LOL Next short block please....maybe we should dial the boost back..... NAH more is always better :devil:

Hey, what can I say....I'm greedy ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 6497026)
So whats your CR and boost level?

CR before or after the kustom connecting rods mod? :lol:

Compression is 9.6:1, boost level was 15-16 psi with some spikes to 18 psi at the shifts....
I mentioned it in another thread, but "boost level" means nothing. 20 psi from a china ebay 60mm turbo is not the same as 20 psi from a PT106.

I'll probably start piecing together a forged shortblock for it, but for now, in goes another junkyard 6.0. :chevy:

Tom Vogel 01-30-2014 10:51 AM

As you probably know, predetonation has nothing to do with the strength of your bottom end and everything to do with CR, boost level and fuel delivery. Thats a relatively high CR and alot of boost. You need proper Fuel delivery and timing or it will be quick curtains all over again... pronto. An air to air intercooler would make a big difference as well. Or...How about a methanol injection system?
Even if you dont care about grenading the motor, you will get a Huge performance increase if you take care of the predetonation.

Wasted Income 01-30-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vogel (Post 6498895)
As you probably know, predetonation has nothing to do with the strength of your bottom end and everything to do with CR, boost level and fuel delivery. Thats a relatively high CR and alot of boost. You need proper Fuel delivery and timing or it will be quick curtains all over again... pronto. An air to air intercooler would make a big difference as well. Or...How about a methanol injection system?
Even if you dont care about grenading the motor, you will get a Huge performance increase if you take care of the predetonation.

Tom, I appreciate the advice, however I've already got most of it covered.

Fuel delivery is up to the task. I have a Fuelab 41402 160 gph pump, fed by a -10 sumped tank, which splits to two -8 lines before the fuel rail, and 80 lb/hr injectors. It never...never...went lean. I have lots of logs showing that the fuel system is capable of supplying the correct fuel pressure and AFR even at 16 psi and 7000 rpm.

I don't have room for an A2A intercooler, with my AC stuff in the way. I do already have a dual nozzle meth injection setup on it.
I circled one nozzle, and there is another one on the back side of the pipe that you can't see. I am also running E85.
http://i59.tinypic.com/25a66wm.jpg

I plan to upgrade the bottom end, since high cylinder pressure, whether from big hp, or detonation, bends rods. The stock cast pistons also don't give much room for error if you get a little too greedy or get some bad gas or something.

I've built and ran two other big turbo LS motors in the past, and never broke anything with them. Once I hurt this one early on, I didn't really care about it anymore, so I just kept turning up the wick on it to see what it would take before it came unglued...which it never truly did. Call it a science experiment :lol:

Tom Vogel 01-30-2014 05:34 PM

I am still betting on predetonation. Mighty surprising with E85 Ill admit. Do you have a custom tune on it? If you dont, Id get one. There should be someone close enough to you with a dyno and flash capabilities.. not cheap, but thats what I did with my Mustang and that did the trick for me.

Wasted Income 01-30-2014 05:56 PM

I own a commercial version of EFI Live, and have always tuned my own stuff on the street and on the track.

The Blazer however, has a Megasquirt ecu on it, and does not need to be "flashed" in the traditional sense. I can tweak fueling, timing, boost values on the fly and it changes immediately.

Just a friendly heads up, but there is no such thing as "predetonation". I think you're combining two different things.....pre-ignition, and detonation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Tom Vogel 01-31-2014 10:26 AM

I can tweak fueling, timing, boost values on the fly and it changes immediately.
OK then:lol:

Just a friendly heads up, but there is no such thing as "predetonation". I think you're combining two different things.....pre-ignition, and detonation.

I stand corected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking[/QUOTE]

72Blazing 02-02-2014 03:47 PM

Lots of NMCA and NMRA racers running 12-1 plus compression with high boost levels(30psi+)
With the stock bottom end there could have been any number of contributing factors.
I am sure you will have one hell of a beast when you are done!