The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=546694)

CRGRS 66 05-24-2018 03:15 PM

Re: CRGRS 66 – Winter Build Thread

I did the lines on my truck. I have done to big tubes on the garbage trucks, but generally the guys do these.

lower50's 05-28-2018 09:56 AM

Nice job they look good.

markeb01 06-06-2018 05:04 PM

Beautiful tubing work! Congrats!!

CRGRS 66 07-09-2019 03:14 PM

Update!
The last work that I did on the truck was the brake lines, haven't touched it in forever. So, she is for sale, and just like that, it is sold to one of my closest friends.
Steve will be taking over from here. I will live vicariously through him from here on. We are actually moving the truck to his place tonight. I will sign in and catch up on all of you guys from time to time.
Cheers to all!

66c10Steve 08-01-2019 12:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, I'm the Steve that bought the truck from Craig and will be picking up where he left off. I know I have a long road ahead of me but I'm looking forward to having this baby rolling someday.

I've been peeling through everyone's builds and see a lot of impressive work and I'm sponging it all up.

I'll be sharing progress through this thread since it holds the beginning of the truck's restoration life. There's still a ways to go and it all seems daunting at times but to paraphrase a line from Johnny Cash, I'll do it one piece at a time.

Cheers fellas, I look forward to contributing to the board.

To start things off, here is where she currently rests:

Android04 08-06-2019 10:13 AM

Best of luck

66c10Steve 08-19-2019 09:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
An ever so small amount of progress this weekend.... I previously extracted a broken bolt from the nose of the crankshaft and this weekend I reassembled a few items. After ordering a harmonic balancer install tool from Amazon (since no stores in town had one to rent or buy) I was able to reinstall the harmonic balancer and then continue with the crank pulley, the fan, and the belts including adding anti-seize to the metal to metal connections.

One question I do have is, how close can the belts be to other items? I'm a bit concerned with the clearance between the belt coming from the alternator and one of the bolt heads for the power steering pump bracket as there is only about 1/16" clearance.

Captainfab 08-19-2019 11:36 PM

Yeah a 1/16" is a bit close. Most of the time on a long belt like that the movement will be up and down, but they can move a little side to side. About all you could do if there is contact is remove that PS pump bracket, counter sink that hole and install a allen socket flat head bolt.

66c10Steve 08-20-2019 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 8578966)
Yeah a 1/16" is a bit close. Most of the time on a long belt like that the movement will be up and down, but they can move a little side to side. About all you could do if there is contact is remove that PS pump bracket, counter sink that hole and install a allen socket flat head bolt.

Good idea! thanks

Robert Haas 08-20-2019 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66c10Steve (Post 8578540)
An ever so small amount of progress this weekend.... I previously extracted a broken bolt from the nose of the crankshaft and this weekend I reassembled a few items. After ordering a harmonic balancer install tool from Amazon (since no stores in town had one to rent or buy) I was able to reinstall the harmonic balancer and then continue with the crank pulley, the fan, and the belts including adding anti-seize to the metal to metal connections.

One question I do have is, how close can the belts be to other items? I'm a bit concerned with the clearance between the belt coming from the alternator and one of the bolt heads for the power steering pump bracket as there is only about 1/16" clearance.

Take off the bracket and counter sink the hole the bolt goes through. Then use a countersunk Allen head bolt to replace the hex bolt you currently are using.

66c10Steve 09-02-2019 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting frustrated and could use some advice....

I'm trying to install the new rag joint and it does not seem to want to fit on to the shaft of the power steering gearbox.....am I missing something here or should I use a hammer and smack it on? They look like the same number of splines but it's hard to tell for sure and impossible to count on the rag joint.

66c10Steve 09-02-2019 03:48 PM

I think I figured it out....the PO picked up the wrong rag joint coupling. Just ordered a Dorman 31015 to fit the 13/16 x 36 spline shaft.

rusty76 09-11-2019 05:20 PM

Glad to see you keeping this thread alive.

66c10Steve 09-11-2019 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 8591860)
Glad to see you keeping this thread alive.

Thanks! Got the new rag joint and installed it...fit like a glove - glad I didn't try and smash the other one on! Just sorting out the steering column and associated parts now..... gotta say, it's a hell of a disadvantage not being a mechanic or having the knowledge from disassembling the parts! No worries though, I'll figure it out ;)

lower50's 09-12-2019 09:30 AM

One piece at a time.

The Rocknrod 09-21-2019 07:00 AM

Any progress?
I'm interested to learn what size fan (p/n?) and fan clutch you used?

66c10Steve 09-23-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8596663)
Any progress?
I'm interested to learn what size fan (p/n?) and fan clutch you used?

Not too much lately (busy with family, work, kids sports, etc.) however I did decide to start stripping paint from the dash....I'm digging the bare metal look actually and if I can get it the way I am envisioning it then I may run with it....but I'll update on that once I get it where I want.

As for the fan size, I'll have to get back to you on that but I'm 99% sure the fan clutch is this one:
https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...make/chevrolet

Sept. 24th edit: Measured the fan last night, it's 19" diameter 6 blade.....don't have a part number unfortunately but hope that helps.

66c10Steve 06-08-2020 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I hadn't touched the old girl since September last year but the itch has been there lately to get back to it.
So, I finally got around to addressing the power steering bracket bolts using Captainfab and Robert's suggestion - drilled out the bracket with a countersink bit and installed 3/8"-16 x 3 1/2" long socket flat heads and it looks much better now.

I've also ordered a chrome steering column with tilt from ebay and next plan to order this seat cover in Black/White from USA 1 Industries: http://www.usa1industries.com/1960-6...ntal-band.html
I've debated for a while what colour scheme to go with on the interior but I think I'm settled on white with black & chrome/polished steel accents here and there.

I'm kind of all over the place with the order of what to do next but I think I'm going to tackle the conundrum that is the clutch linkage issue Craig brought up on post #334 on page 14....

Johnny_Lamebridge 06-08-2020 07:01 PM

Hi Steve!

I'm happy to see that you're continuing on Craig's "many winters build thread". I haven't been active on here for quite a while, but I'm hoping to get something happening again soon. We should meet up some time if it's ever safe to do so. lol

Re: your clutch pivot ball issue. I think you probably need something like this:

https://sdparts.com/i-24074894-sdpc-...nd-trucks.html

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601026/10002/-1

66c10Steve 06-08-2020 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny_Lamebridge (Post 8754198)
Hi Steve!

I'm happy to see that you're continuing on Craig's "many winters build thread". I haven't been active on here for quite a while, but I'm hoping to get something happening again soon. We should meet up some time if it's ever safe to do so. lol

Re: your clutch pivot ball issue. I think you probably need something like this:

https://sdparts.com/i-24074894-sdpc-...nd-trucks.html

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/601026/10002/-1

Lol - the "many winters" build thread....quite true.

Thanks for the links - will look closer at them to make sure they'll work for the sbc.

In the meantime, I'd love to pick your brain to help me figure out a build plan....I'll wear a mask even to ensure adequate anti-COVID requirements. Shoot me a message and I'll send you my cell number so we can make plans.

66c10Steve 06-11-2020 11:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
2 questions for you gents today:

1. Does anybody have a recommendation for the Ivory-Off White exterior colour in rattle can form? I searched the site and came across two, one said Rustoleum Gloss White and another said Krylon Gloss Ivory. Just wondering if someone could confirm those or offer something else that they successfully matched up with.
2. Looking for suggestions on how to fill a bunch of holes that used to be from a tonneau cover.....was thinking of drilling them out using a countersink bit and then filling with JB weld but maybe there is a better method.

Here's a pic of the holes that go all the way around the bed:

Captainfab 06-11-2020 09:32 PM

The correct way to fill those holes is to weld them up, sand them down, a skim coat of filler, prime and paint

pdxhall 06-12-2020 05:37 PM

I agree. weld them up.

66c10Steve 06-15-2020 08:06 AM

Thanks guys - I do have a mig welder so it sounds like I'll be putting it to use. Found This YouTube Video for a technique....hopefully this is right, will definitely practice on a scrap piece of metal.

Side question, do you guys know what gauge steel the body panels are made from on our trucks? Did a search on here and it sounds like people say between 18-20 gauge.....

cwcarpenter98 06-15-2020 09:27 AM

Most of the original metal was 19 gauge. That's also what a lot of the patch panels are